PDA

View Full Version : Mac torrent Apps

shackleton
12-28-2007, 01:09 AM
I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good torrent app for Mac users?

xurbia
12-28-2007, 01:16 AM
Check out transmission:

http://transmission.m0k.org/

Polarbear
12-28-2007, 01:52 AM
I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good torrent app for Mac users?

basically there are only two:

azureus and transmission.

all others have major disadvantages.

DanielleD87
12-28-2007, 03:07 AM
if your computer is fast enough i recommend azureus

fstokebanget
12-28-2007, 05:59 PM
if you already use Leopard, Azureus process will consume less system resources

DannyGnXz
12-28-2007, 06:11 PM
I'm running Leopard on a MBP and like Transmission. On the other hand, the advantages of Azureus is since its java, it runs exactly the same on a PC as it would on a mac.

mattf60
12-28-2007, 06:13 PM
also i have found that a lot of trackers dont permit transmission. So azureus is the way to go. although on an older machine some say azureus can be a bit of a resource hog.

puckface
12-28-2007, 06:22 PM
If you have an intel mac, there is no better option than crossover and utorrent. period.

fstokebanget
12-28-2007, 06:28 PM
even if the utorrent doesn't need big resources,still the crossover emulation could cause the system to overload

Polarbear
12-28-2007, 06:44 PM
If you have an intel mac, there is no better option than crossover and utorrent. period.

you may be right, but the op was asking for mac apps and not for an emulated windows software.

pdxdivx
12-28-2007, 07:47 PM
PowerPC- Azureus
Intel- run uTorrent through Parallels, Crossover or Bootcamp.

puckface
12-28-2007, 07:49 PM

you may be right, but the op was asking for mac apps and not for an emulated windows software.

i just figured since crossover is a mac app, it qualified... either way, best option.

fsephie
12-28-2007, 09:18 PM
You'll find that most trackers that are worth it don't ban the newest version of Transmission, first of all.

Second, unless you are running a gig of ram I suggest staying away from Azureus like the plague. And unless you enjoy the same memory hog I would suggest not running utorrent because of the emulation software required.

jj4evarb
12-28-2007, 09:29 PM
ive always wondered, why is it that so many trackers ban the new transmission? Its far and away my favourite mac client, although i long for the release of mac utorrent

fstokebanget
12-28-2007, 09:32 PM
because it's often reported false upload/download data to the tracker

read on utorrent forum, seems like there would never be utorrent written for mac os x

Grind$oFine
12-28-2007, 09:32 PM
ive always wondered, why is it that so many trackers ban the new transmission? Its far and away my favourite mac client, although i long for the release of mac utorrent

Who bans it? There was one version banned, but the newest update works almost everywhere.. at least to my knowledge??

jj4evarb
12-28-2007, 09:34 PM
because it's often reported false upload/download data to the tracker

read on utorrent forum, seems like there would never be utorrent written for mac os x

ahh okay

and as for mac utorrent, im pretty sure that development is ongoing, and the guys at torrentfreak have a beta version which is supposed to be pretty stable.

madbeer
12-29-2007, 02:34 AM
you could try Tomato Torrent:

http://sarwat.net/bittorrent/

I have never used it but have heard about it. I am on a macbook pro and I run transmission 0.96 and its working great. I liked the configurability of azureus but when I installed leopard I tried out transmission and never looked back.

shackleton
12-29-2007, 06:05 PM
thanks for the replies, azureus it is.

Polarbear
12-29-2007, 06:06 PM
thanks for the replies, azureus it is.

good choice mate, i'm using it as well.

best client imo.

ijc64
01-01-2008, 08:08 PM
make sure you get the older version (i think 2.5), not whatever vuze nonsense they're calling it now

fsephie
01-01-2008, 08:26 PM
A good list of apps for the switchers out there, just in case anyone got a new mac for Christmas :).

Web Browser - Safari 3 (Firefox does have some added functionality to it which might suit you aswell, i.e. integrated RSS feed etc.)
IRC Client - XChat Aqua (There is also Colloquy)
Instant Messaging - Adium (Ichat works just as well if you don't need multiple sn support etc.)
App Launching - Quicksilver (This is one a lot of people seem to enjoy. Personally, I prefer just using the dock)
Text Editor - TextMate
Bittorrent Client - Azureus
RSS - NetNewsWire (Sage if using Firefox)
SysInfo - MenuMeters Menubars + iStat Pro widget
Development - XCode (should come installed with Leopard)
FTP - Transmit (Cyberduck if you can't seem to find a k'ed version)
Emulation - Parallels*
Adobe CS3 - Design Premium + After Effects
App Removal - AppDelete
DVD Rip - MactheRipper, Handbrake, Popcorn (Go to the Handbrake Forums for help)
Comic Viewer - FFview
Partition - iPartition
Automated TV show torrent software - TVShow (uses a public tracker, not sure if you can set it up with something like bmtv)
Unrar/Par2 - MacParDeluxe (I still use it even after I stopped using newsgroups)
Movie Codec - Perian (I don't like VLC, but you might)

A note about Bittorrent -

Azureus is good so long as you have enough RAM in your machine. If you're running 512mb, you might want to reconsider. Also, if you aren't exactly a power torrent user (i.e. if you don't use that many trackers or tend to not leave many torrents running) I would suggest Transmission hands down. Lightweight and simple to work with.

If you are using a seedbox, I would suggest using firefox with the utorrent webui as I find Safari has a few bugs when using it. If you are using RTorrent on a seedbox, then you should definitely use NTorrent. It's java-based, but doesn't take up that much memory.