PDA

View Full Version : Antigua can 'legally' pirate American films and music, says WTO

Broken
12-28-2007, 05:50 AM
Antigua can 'legally' pirate American films and music, says WTO (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WTO)

The World Trade Organisation (WTO) handed down an unusual ruling on Friday 21 December, giving the tiny Caribbean island nation of Antigua and Barbuda the right to violate copyright protections on goods like films and music from the United States, as part of a dispute between the countries over online gambling. The award is worth up to $21 million. The award follows a WTO ruling that the US had wrongly blocked online gambling operators on the island from the American market

The ruling is very significant. It allows an extremely unusual form of compensation - the right of one country to violate the intellectual property (IP) laws of another -allowing Antigua to distribute copies of American music, movie and software products without paying the US any royalties up to $21 million.

Losing no time, on Friday itself the US trade representative issued a stern warning to Antigua to avoid acts of piracy, counterfeiting or violations of intellectual property rights while talks continue.

It said such behaviour would immediately ''undermine Antigua's claimed intentions of becoming a leader in legitimate electronic commerce, and would severely discourage foreign investment'' in the country. The US announced that it would rewrite its trade rules to remove gambling from the WTO's jurisdiction.

Read entire story... (http://www.domain-b.com/links/organisation/wto/20071224_antigua.html)

BawA
12-28-2007, 07:21 AM
heheh new safe heaven!!

Aaxel21
12-28-2007, 08:24 AM
What a kick in the balls to the RIAA. :lol:

Oluwa
12-28-2007, 09:01 AM
Yea up yours You US Corporate bullies hahahahahahaha

anak
12-28-2007, 09:57 AM
heheh new safe heaven!!
Does this not only concern gambling?

rokie
12-28-2007, 02:52 PM
Will the TPB be moving there? Who knows one day they could be friends.

Zaak
12-28-2007, 04:31 PM
The US announced that it would rewrite its trade rules to remove gambling from the WTO's jurisdiction.

LOL oh hahaha hahahah will you look at that xD

TheFoX
12-28-2007, 04:56 PM
The US announced that it would rewrite its trade rules to remove gambling from the WTO's jurisdiction.

And there was me thinking that WTO actually stood for World Trade Organisation. So, the US intends to rewrite trade rules for their betterment? I see a storm brewing, whereby others can then decide what they wish, and what they wish not, to be covered by the WTO...

Talk about a puppet organisation...

Broken
12-28-2007, 05:11 PM

And there was me thinking that WTO actually stood for World Trade Organisation. So, the US intends to rewrite trade rules for their betterment? I see a storm brewing, whereby others can then decide what they wish, and what they wish not, to be covered by the WTO...

Talk about a puppet organisation...

One of the many perks of being the world's only superpower.

manicgeek
12-28-2007, 05:36 PM
Typical bloody Americans!

If they don't like what you're doing they'll resort to any kind threat or action that springs to mind. It's about time every one else told them where to get off, and started blocking American companies from trading into their countries.

Maybe they'll learn then that we don't all live by American law, and we don't want too!

vipaar
12-29-2007, 07:01 PM
I knew the time would come when the world would start telling america where to get off, and I see it coming right now, what can america do? invade them like they did with grenada? which is under the control and protection of the UK? isn`t america supposed to be friends with the UK? funny way for a friend to act

rapidmovies
12-30-2007, 08:54 AM
im moving there :)

gnlstryker
12-31-2007, 08:31 AM
Dont Mess With The Best. ;)

America F*ck Yeah !!!!