PDA

View Full Version : no thermal glue on processor

kooftspc11
12-29-2007, 09:44 AM
long story short....i forgot to put thermal glue on the processor when i was seating the heatsink. is this going to be a major probloem in the future? should i take everything apart and apply thermal compound?

clocker
12-29-2007, 12:15 PM
You need the thermal paste.
Apply it ASAP.

tesco
12-29-2007, 03:32 PM
I'm surprised the CPU isn't already fried...

Broken
12-29-2007, 03:54 PM
Most heatsinks have a thermal compound per-applied to the bottom of them. It would look like a little silver square on the bottom part that touches the processor. If that was there, you should be fine.

For better heat transfer I would recommend getting some arctic silver, compared to a generic thermal compound - but, whatever works.

Now, if you know 100% there is nothing between the heatsink and processor. Turn the machine off and fix it. That's a no brainer!

kooftspc11
12-29-2007, 08:50 PM
Most heatsinks have a thermal compound per-applied to the bottom of them. It would look like a little silver square on the bottom part that touches the processor. If that was there, you should be fine.

For better heat transfer I would recommend getting some arctic silver, compared to a generic thermal compound - but, whatever works.

Now, if you know 100% there is nothing between the heatsink and processor. Turn the machine off and fix it. That's a no brainer!

there was two strips of sticky blue stuff on the part where the heatsink touches the processor.

Broken
12-29-2007, 09:27 PM
It's really hard to say without seeing it. Could be.
The gray square is what I am talking about. That is thermal compound.

http://i12.tinypic.com/6xb7wnl.jpg

now, there could have been tape over the compound that you should have removed.
i.e. below

http://i14.tinypic.com/85ei4h4.jpg

kooftspc11
12-29-2007, 09:37 PM
it wasnt exactly in a square shape but it did leave a residue on the processor. it was in the form of // and it was a dark blue/greyish color

Broken
12-29-2007, 09:39 PM
It sounds like thermal compound to me, that's exactly how it should act. It's almost clay like.
I've seen it gray, and peach... maybe it comes in blue too.

As long as you didn't clean it off, you should be good.

optimus_prime
12-29-2007, 09:46 PM
whatever :)
usualy that out of the box thermal conductor on heatsink is crap. clean it thoroughly and apply some nice paste. don't overdo it tho :)

Broken
12-29-2007, 09:51 PM
I can't agree with that.
Like I said, arctic silver or such is better.

But, on every recent build I've done with the C2D line I've used stock heatsink and compound, including my current. It's stock speed is is 2.4Ghz and it's OC'ed to 3Ghz. It's only getting up to about 50C under load! If it wasn't for the limits of my motherboard I'd press it even further. They just run so cool, I don't see the point.

And the lower level Intel's, the Duel-Core, run even cooler. I've seen test where these things are running without a heatsink and passing 24 hour burn in test (not recommended) without errors.

kooftspc11
12-29-2007, 10:32 PM
I can't agree with that.
Like I said, arctic silver or such is better.

But, on every recent build I've done with the C2D line I've used stock heatsink and compound, including my current. It's stock speed is is 2.4Ghz and it's OC'ed to 3Ghz. It's only getting up to about 50C under load! If it wasn't for the limits of my motherboard I'd press it even further. They just run so cool, I don't see the point.

And the lower level Intel's, the Duel-Core, run even cooler. I've seen test where these things are running without a heatsink and passing 24 hour burn in test (not recommended) without errors.

my processor is a c2d 6750

Broken
12-29-2007, 11:05 PM
I say you're good going with the stock compound.

Detale
12-30-2007, 08:48 AM
What temps are you guys getting with the Stock Compound? I almost always use Arctic Silver just in case.

optimus_prime
12-30-2007, 11:25 AM
"blue stripes" doesn't sound like a thermal compund but more like a thermal pad.
thermal pads are way inferior to thermal compund.

too keep your cpu happy through summers, long working sessions and overclock, you really should remove old glue and apply quality paste. it would be a lot easier if you done it straight away, but eh...

clocker
12-30-2007, 01:33 PM
I must admit to being a wee bit skeptical about this.
C2D's are very cool chips but I had no idea they were that good.

As dies have shrunk and power requirements gone down, I do believe the need for ultra high zoot cooling (specifically, water cooling) has all but disappeared, especially at stock speeds.

But, a bare chip has practically no capability of dissipating heat and saying it will run naked for 24 hours is kind of hard to believe.
Any links to this test?

tesco
12-30-2007, 02:58 PM

As dies have shrunk and power requirements gone down, I do believe the need for ultra high zoot cooling (specifically, water cooling) has all but disappeared, especially at stock speeds.

But, a bare chip has practically no capability of dissipating heat and saying it will run naked for 24 hours is kind of hard to believe.
Any links to this test?I remember the P4s used to throttle their speed to keep themselves cool, so you could basically run the pc without a heatsink but it would be very slow.
So they still have that in modern chips?

clocker
12-30-2007, 03:11 PM
Not sure, Ross...my s939 stuff is not really "modern" anymore.
It will shut down completely in case of thermal overload but I don't know of any throttling down option.

Besides, having a CPU that self-castrates itself and runs on minimal function isn't the same as a 24 hour burn in test which, to me at least, means 24 hours at maximum output.

tesco
12-30-2007, 03:15 PM
Not sure, Ross...my s939 stuff is not really "modern" anymore.
It will shut down completely in case of thermal overload but I don't know of any throttling down option.

Besides, having a CPU that self-castrates itself and runs on minimal function isn't the same as a 24 hour burn in test which, to me at least, means 24 hours at maximum output.You can do a burn-in at any speed though...
The point is just to see if it's stable.

clocker
12-30-2007, 03:53 PM
You can do a burn-in at any speed though...
Since there is no hard and fast definition of the term "burn in", I suppose you're right...but what would be the point?
"Here you go sir, we tested your PC for 48 hours in Hibernation Mode and it worked fine".

Broken
12-30-2007, 04:17 PM

Any links to this test?

It's been some time since I read the article. I can't find it off hand. And I did look....
Using the Dual-Core line, not C2D, they where able to run an overnight burn in and have the chip not only survive but pass without errors. Every other chip fried. I believe it was the E2140. That doesn't mean permanent damage wasn't done to the chip, the point was that it was stable and survived the test.

I was able to find this, "What if your fan fails?' (http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/09/27/what_if_your_cpu_cooler_fails/page12.html), by tomshardware guide. The setup had the heatsink, but the fan was unplugged. I know, it's not the same thing.

tesco
12-30-2007, 04:39 PM
You can do a burn-in at any speed though...
Since there is no hard and fast definition of the term "burn in", I suppose you're right...but what would be the point?
"Here you go sir, we tested your PC for 48 hours in Hibernation Mode and it worked fine".The point is it didn't crash when burning-in without a heat sink.:huh:

optimus_prime
12-30-2007, 07:01 PM
i too believed no chip after 486 can run normaly for long time without sink. and that modern ones won't last 24s let alone 24h.
googling proved me wrong:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4YPcDeyYd0

:)

Broken
12-30-2007, 07:29 PM
i too believed no chip after 486 can run normaly for long time without sink. and that modern ones won't last 24s let alone 24h.
googling proved me wrong:

C4YPcDeyYd0

:)

The processor I am talking about, the E2140 (1.6Ghz)is a cousin of the E4400 (2Ghz). The E2140 runs at a lower clock speed and much cooler. Yes, doing this kind of shit will damage not only the processor but also the motherboard. The test I saw was on an Oc'ing forum to prove the point of just how cool the new Intels ran. It really is amazing.

clocker
12-30-2007, 08:27 PM
Well, you learn something new every day.