PDA

View Full Version : external hard drive freezes when I access certain folders.

thecreator89
12-30-2007, 07:20 PM
It started when I was loading some files onto a friends computer who had Vista. I use XP, the HD was formated NTFS, 200gb. had ~170 gb of stuff. Anyway, the damn thing freezes in the movie folder and we try to force close explorer, but it doesn't work.

anyway, we end up having to power down the HD, and now, whenever I try to access the folders which contained stuff that i had uploaded to his computer, the HD freezes, regardless of the OS. I really don't want to loose that much data. Is there any way to recover what was in those folders before I format the HD?

dodgy368
12-30-2007, 07:42 PM
Can you access the external hdd in safe mode on your xp machine?

optimus_prime
12-30-2007, 08:00 PM
you probably need to run scandisk to repair file system.

thecreator89
12-30-2007, 08:00 PM
i didn't try that. I'll do that as soon as I finish posting this. anyway, what if that doesn't work?

optimus_prime
12-31-2007, 04:54 PM
hopefuly it should work. i'm not quite sure what do you mean by "hd freezes" so if you still have problem, it would be helpful to hear more about symptoms :)

thecreator89
01-08-2008, 04:41 AM
What I meean by it freezes is that the hourglass cursor comes and never leaves. any folder related to the ahrd drive freezes up and i think explorer.exe froze once or twice. I am literally running scandisk right now. I will post in the morning the results.