PDA

View Full Version : The United Nations

W_M_D
07-26-2003, 12:32 PM
Hi,

Just wanted to get peoples ideas and opinions on this..

The United Nations, an institute set up for the good of humanity, has brought up many serious questions in my mind...

Does anybody not find it funny, that even although WE, the Population of Earth, pay for it, pay for its running, and also give it the money it wants...NEVER are really told what is going on at the top,
I mean, people at the top DO NOT have to answer to common people, like me and you...
they do not have to explain their ideology, and do not have to bring evidence forward, to prove that their ideas are the best to help humanity.....
They do not have to bow down to a concern or problem...
they continue in the direction they want, with the full minipulation of media.

And this is the United Nations, an organistation that we have come to trust and believe in....are actually helping transfer the market into a slave camp.

Every so called third world country is under attack.
They HAVE to allow foregin investors in , before they even consider keeping the wealth and resources within their own boundaries . Thier is no competition, as its simply not allowed.
They HAVE to allow globilization, and slave labour....

Otherwise, the World Bank, IMF, and the UN can put nasty sanctions on them, which could really mess them up...

so basically u have a choice:
work with us, and you can still live
dont co-operate, and its time for war, famine,sanctions or the like.

Globilization has the ability to set the world free, yet, it is being implemeted, via the UN, the IMF, world Bank, to allow only a few selected people benefit from all the process.

WHat do people think of the UN...
How much good has it really done, and please, if you believe it has done good, provide a small reason why, which should include some real evidence.

J'Pol
07-26-2003, 12:43 PM
http://www.un.org/

Read all about it. Should answer all of your questions.

Next.

W_M_D
07-26-2003, 12:58 PM
JPaul,

Rather than answering anything, with some evidence, you just post a link to a site....which is made by them,
You tell me, are they really gonna say bad things about themselves?
I mean, Ive already told you, some of their leading workers are leaving because of the way they are implementing policies. Where does that leave us???

You have not expressed your ideas and your opinions, which I said that was the whole point of the question....READ THE QUESTION

When the UN cannot answer its own chief ecoonomists about its policies, you want me to believe the website for them??!!

Because this is not on your TV, you think its not worth chatting about...and say next...??
post a quick hyperlink , and problem solved!!!

Yeah right mate, you can fool some people some time, but you cant fool all the people all the time.

J'Pol
07-26-2003, 01:05 PM
The question was.

"The United Nations, Who's in charge ?"

The site gives full details of the structure of that body.

What exactly does my television have to do with this.

Oh I remember it's the mantra of the intellectually condescending. Stupid working class people watch too much television. If something is not on television then they will not be interested in it. So it's a quick and easy insult, suggest that I am only informed by the television.

The reason I didn't take the opening post seriously and responded as such is because it is ill informed, badly written tripe. Not because the United Nations is not on television a lot.

J'Pol
07-26-2003, 01:06 PM
Next

W_M_D
07-26-2003, 01:47 PM
calm down man,
I dont mean ure tv, as picking on you, I also mean my tv. I mean that media, as a whole. One could also raise the point here, that if the UN is the worlds leading Humanitarian organistation, then WHY isnt it on TV, explaining its ethics, and policies???????

Ok, you have no problem with the UN.
Fine...thats up to you

Then answer me this:

WHy are people who have worked within its departments, at the highest level, say that policies for the good of nature are usually thrown aside for ideological policies of certain individuals, who dont even work in the UN's programmes for development.???

The UN, has to implement policies made by a few dozen people, who do not even work within the building, or help in the cause of developing nations.
THIS IS WHAT IM ASKING REALLY>>>who is in charge??
ARE U AWARE OF THIS GOING ON?
DO YOU THINK ITS CORRECT AND ACCEPTABLE?????

I have studied development studies in University, and have followed it thougout my life...I have worked in Ethiopia, The Gambia, Pakistan, India, Bangladesh, Iraq, Afghanistan, Iran, Palestine, South Africa, and many more places

I have worked with friends who were in the UN. They quit their UN jobs ages ago.
My first cousin is the PROJECT MANAGER of ACTIONAID for South East Asia, and Africa...I work with him a lot....We, have seen what westerned influenced policies have done to children ALL over the world....

Trust me, if you are not from the areas affected, you will never see the real problem....if you just follow the media, then their is no problem!

In terms of World development, their is no argument in support of the UN policy makers, who are a unelected bunch of dicks.

THE DECISION MAKERS ARE NOT THE PEOPLE WHO KNOW AND UNDERSTAND DEVELOPMENT, ITS A BUNCH OF ELITE, WHO OWN BANKS AND DEAL WITH LARGE CORPORATIONS.

J'Pol
07-26-2003, 02:00 PM
I am not a fan of the United Nations. Quite the reverse. I see it as no more than a very expensive talking shop which achieves little or nothing. It could be abolished tomorrow and I would shed not one tear. The money could be better spent elsewhere in my opinion

For my part I sponsor 2 children through World Vision. As they reach an age where they leave the program another is added. I also have direct debits set up for UNICEF and for OXFAM. I have done this for many years.

The way I see it these are the organisations who know what is needed in the various areas. World Vision for example use the funds donated to set up programs within villages and communities to help the people become self sufficient in food production. They also set up health and education programs. If this is incorrect then I am a dupe, tho' a well intentioned one.

My reply to your original post was more to do with my apathy towards the UN than any animosity towards you. My subsequent post was as a direct response to your post directly preeceding it.

Oh and I am perfectly calm, but thanks for your concern.

echidna
07-26-2003, 02:18 PM
The security council of the UN can veto any decision the body decides
so i assume they governments behind the members of the security council are the ones most in charge of the UN
By it's nature the UN is very undemocratic, just consider the fact that tiny nations like tonga and fiji have the same weight in general assembly votes as china or the USA, though the population differences between these nations is enormous.
this also allows for rich or powerful nations to buy or influence the voting of small and poor nations

the UN is a promising idea but as so often happens in the real world the execution of that idea creates something far less palatable

W_M_D
07-26-2003, 03:12 PM
thanks for comments, both of you.
JPaul, it is very noble of you to sponser kids. And for that, I applaud you...

But the sad thing about it is, when the UN could do so much more for the people of the world, it doesnt.
Its people like you, who are willing to help others, that are making the difference.
Even though your taxed, and money goes to them, you are still paying extra, out of your own moral ethics, to help humanity..

All I am trying to do is bring it to peoples attention, that the UN is not answerable to Anyone, well the REAL people in charge I mean.

Its through the UN, that certain policies have been allowed to continue..
Palestine's occupation is living testimony....
only america and israel veto the councils solutions to the problem.

Who would have thought the day would come, when a young american woman protecting a palestinian doctors house, would be crushed by an Israeli bulldozer, with a soldier in it? Man, we watched it live.....shit was sad...

I honestly, can say, I never thought that would happen. Even just watching her get crushed was rather sad. And then their is all the kids that have been killed, which obviously does not come on TV. But, its people like that from the West that make the real difference, and win the hearts of the people from those lands....she will never be forgotten.For Rachel Corrie did not differentiate between Israeli and palestinian . All she knew was humanity and love. may her body rest in peace....

Its only when you actually go to a place, that you can understand the problems....
because then you can 'see'the problems, you can 'feel' the problems, and only then can you 'fix' the problems....
The UN, in my opinion, should have democratically elected positions, which NO banking or corporations should be allowed to enter.

But that is not possible, because everypart of US governement is run by Corporations and Bankers interests. That is why the UN is such an integral part of getting the Globilzation policies ahead, allowing the corporations to buy, and own all the resources in the world, whilst at the same time, literally enslaving humans in the same process.

Dont forget , more than a million indonesians dies, just to become the World Banks 'model pupil'

If americans has really known the costs of globilization and other strict policies being put through via the UN etc, then they would surely revolt against their governement....
THAT IS WHY THE US GOVERNEMENT SPENDS AS MUCH AS IT DOES ON PROPOGANDA AND MEDIA MINIPULATION...
If you read the book, Weapons of MAss deception , you will get a slight idea of what is spent, and how well it has worked.

Peace,

Zinedene

Rat Faced
07-26-2003, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by echidna@26 July 2003 - 14:18
The security council of the UN can veto any decision the body decides
so i assume they governments behind the members of the security council are the ones most in charge of the UN
By it's nature the UN is very undemocratic, just consider the fact that tiny nations like tonga and fiji have the same weight in general assembly votes as china or the USA, though the population differences between these nations is enormous.
this also allows for rich or powerful nations to buy or influence the voting of small and poor nations

the UN is a promising idea but as so often happens in the real world the execution of that idea creates something far less palatable
You'd rather China had 1/3 of the votes, and some small nations had none?

Thats a bit harsh....

sushi15
07-28-2003, 03:22 AM
The UN cannot be fair. Go by population and countries like china get way more than their fair share of votes. The chinese people would not be fairly represented, chinese leaders would be overrepresented. You can't base it on equal votes for each country because some countries have more at stake in each desicion. Countries that foot the bill and supply the troops have much more to lose than smaller countries that don't help pay for anything. The UN is worthless as far as military intervention is concerned. It could be usefull in other areas (such as health problems around the world) if it is restructured a bit.

chalkmongoose
07-28-2003, 04:37 AM
The UN can suck my balls. They're the reason we have fighting in the mid-east.

3rd gen noob
07-28-2003, 04:42 AM
Originally posted by chalkmongoose@28 July 2003 - 05:37
The UN can suck my balls. They're the reason we have fighting in the mid-east.
surely you mean george bush rather than the u.n.?

chalkmongoose
07-28-2003, 05:00 AM
Originally posted by 3rd gen noob+28 July 2003 - 04:42--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (3rd gen noob @ 28 July 2003 - 04:42)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-chalkmongoose@28 July 2003 - 05:37
The UN can suck my balls. They&#39;re the reason we have fighting in the mid-east.
surely you mean george bush rather than the u.n.? [/b][/quote]
No. In the mid 40s, the UN fecked everything up but good.

I.am
07-28-2003, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by chalkmongoose+28 July 2003 - 00:00--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (chalkmongoose &#064; 28 July 2003 - 00:00)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by 3rd gen noob@28 July 2003 - 04:42
<!--QuoteBegin-chalkmongoose@28 July 2003 - 05:37
The UN can suck my balls. They&#39;re the reason we have fighting in the mid-east.
surely you mean george bush rather than the u.n.?
No. In the mid 40s, the UN fecked everything up but good. [/b][/quote]
Get your facts straight man&#33; I am not a fan of U.N either coz its a BS organization basically and unfortunately played by the hands of the U.S.

What 40&#39;s r u talking abt. Support your statement whatever you r claiming. Would be good to know if u have some hidden info which I didnt know.

I.am

Edit: Typo

chalkmongoose
07-28-2003, 06:37 AM
I dunno. Snark was watching something, and he told me.

I.am
07-28-2003, 06:45 AM
Originally posted by chalkmongoose@28 July 2003 - 01:37
I dunno. Snark was watching something, and he told me.
http://www.allamericanguys.com/infopopstuff/emoticons/hammerhead.gif OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOK