PDA

View Full Version : Windows Xp

bigdawgfoxx
07-26-2003, 04:31 PM
OK!! WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS? Excuse my language but I'm pissed....Ok i just reformated my friends computer and put windows XP home SP1 on there... i havnt put NOTHIN on there and the registry is perfect and all that obviously..and all these POP UPS come on the screen..not internet pop ups..just popups...and like it says go to www.zzzzzzzzzzz.com to fix it and it wants you to pay like 40 bux to stop these...WHAT THE FUCK is windows installing adware already?? thanx

stonecold1203
07-26-2003, 05:00 PM
Run spybot and see how much adware windows installed

KazaaLiteUser99
07-26-2003, 05:02 PM
I am having the same problem and using windows xp home edition sp 1. I dont know what to do to stop these pop-ups and maybe this could be ad-aware. Let me know if you find away of stopping these annoying pop-ups.

SiRius128
07-26-2003, 05:07 PM
Run spybot and see how much adware windows installed

go to the bottom of the page--D/L SpyBot (http://security.kolla.de/index.php?lang=en&page=download)

-- oh, and before you scan, look for updates, install 'em, then scan

stormer
07-26-2003, 07:21 PM
Try this on my website, it should help: http://mysite.freeserve.com/mc1001

KazaaLiteUser99
07-26-2003, 08:23 PM
thanks for the freeserve link its help alot

balamm
07-26-2003, 09:45 PM
Why is this in " kazaa related- questions" ? :blink:

sparsely
07-26-2003, 09:48 PM
Did you do an Upgrade install from another windows version?
If so, the bad stuff is probably still there fromt he previous installation.
But as has been said, just run Ad-Aware, then Spybot, clean it all up, and you'll be alright.

Windows XP doesn&#39;t install any adware of it&#39;s own. <_<

*edit:
Oh&#33; WAIT&#33; WAIT&#33;
Why are you installing XP Home ????&#33;&#33;&#33; Don&#39;t you have an XP Pro Corp disc handy?
Did he purchase the OS? If not, are you gonna "fix" it for him. GO PRO

shn
07-26-2003, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by bigdawgfoxx@26 July 2003 - 10:31
OK&#33;&#33; WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS? Excuse my language but I&#39;m pissed....Ok i just reformated my friends computer and put windows XP home SP1 on there... i havnt put NOTHIN on there and the registry is perfect and all that obviously..and all these POP UPS come on the screen..not internet pop ups..just popups...and like it says go to www.zzzzzzzzzzz.com to fix it and it wants you to pay like 40 bux to stop these...WHAT THE FUCK is windows installing adware already?? thanx
By default, Microsoft Windows operating systems (98, ME, XP, 2000, NT) have Windows Messenger Service enabled. To eliminate messenger SPAM, simply disable the Messenger service. It can be turned back on any time. Note: no special software is required to get rid of messenger SPAM.

Windows XP
Click Start->Control Panel
For Category View only (skip this step for Classic View), click Performance and Maintenance
Click Administrative Tools
Double-click Services
Scroll down and highlight "Messenger"
Right-click the highlighted line and choose Properties
Click the STOP button.
Select Disabled or Manual on the Startup Type drop-down menu
Click OK

Windows XP Home Edition
Click Start->Control Panel
Click Administrative Tools
Click Component Services
Double-click Services Local
Double-click "Messenger" to bring up the options panel
Right-click the highlighted line and choose Properties
Click the STOP button
Select Disabled or Manual on the Startup Type drop-down menu
Click OK

McGee
07-26-2003, 10:46 PM
Holy shit you guys are idiots.

It&#39;s messenger service that is sending these ads to you.

Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services -> Find "Messenger" -> Right click, properties -> Disable and stop it. Apply.

shn
07-26-2003, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by McGee@26 July 2003 - 16:46
Holy shit you guys are idiots.

It&#39;s messenger service that is sending these ads to you.

Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services -> Find "Messenger" -> Right click, properties -> Disable and stop it. Apply.
I wouldnt exactly call them idiots but it was funny as hell that most of them were saying it was spyware and to go and download spybot to fix it. :lol:

McGee
07-26-2003, 10:49 PM
I know, and that was after like 10 replies they were still doing it. :P

callum
07-27-2003, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by bigdawgfoxx@26 July 2003 - 17:31
i havnt put NOTHIN on there
I would have put a good firewall and anti-virus on straight away.

sparsely
07-27-2003, 01:25 AM
I don&#39;t know, I&#39;ve installed Windows XP many, many times, and have never had the messaging service cause
pop-ups or spam. In other words YOU are probably the idiot, for being on so many fucking spam lists. ;)

shn
07-27-2003, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by Sparsely@26 July 2003 - 19:25
I don&#39;t know, I&#39;ve installed Windows XP many, many times, and have never had the messaging service cause
pop-ups or spam. In other words YOU are probably the idiot, for being on so many fucking spam lists. ;)
If your behind a router then your not going to get the pop ups from messenger service. The only time I experienced it is when I decided to unhook my router and just use my cable modem then I started to see the crap. My router has all ports closed by default unless I open them manually and most good routers are like that, so youll never even have a problem with the messenger service. I still disabled that crap because any services running are going to use cpu usage and there&#39;s no need for that.

Ninjastyle
07-27-2003, 01:59 AM
Absolutely.

http://www.answersthatwork.com <--- see &#39;task list programs&#39; to anyone not already familiar with this stuff.

sparsely
07-27-2003, 02:00 AM
...whatever. I&#39;ve installed it both on firewalled PCs and not. I&#39;ve still never experienced what you guys
are talking about from the Messaging Service, but it&#39;s good to know, I guess. :rolleyes:

bigdawgfoxx
07-27-2003, 02:14 AM
WOW&#33; this is my first post with multiple pages&#33; lol and most of it has NOTHING to do with the question&#33; but thanx lol going into services and stuff worked&#33; I AM USING PRO lol its just for my friend...lol thanx guys and sparcley i REFORMATED it was BLANK NOTHING ok its the messenger ok so im not an idiot and callum i put nortan 2003 on there...i didnt have internet or nothin so that wasnt my MAIN worry

Ninjastyle
07-27-2003, 02:16 AM
Waddup bigdawg.. funny shit man..

bigdawgfoxx
07-27-2003, 02:39 AM
lol whats so funny?

§hark
07-27-2003, 03:55 AM
Originally posted by stormer@26 July 2003 - 19:21
Try this on my website, it should help: http://mysite.freeserve.com/mc1001
I Have Been Pissed At Those Pop-Ups For A Long Time Thank You :D