PDA

View Full Version : Pay For Legal Mp3 Filesharing?

OcramC
07-26-2003, 09:41 PM
Would you consider paying X amount per album (eg $0.50) or X amount per month for high-quality music fully backed by record companies.

This would eliminate chances of
1. Wasted bandwidth downloading fakes
2. Low quality sh*t
3. Prosecution

bluedevil
07-26-2003, 09:43 PM
no i wouldend there's allways way too get it free :D

OcramC
07-26-2003, 09:47 PM
so you wouldnt even consider it

whats the main reason you use filesharing software then

bluedevil
07-26-2003, 09:48 PM
too get and share file for free

bluedevil
07-26-2003, 09:49 PM
i mean when i would have payed for the file's that i have i would be broke :P

RealitY
07-26-2003, 10:00 PM
What I would consider...

Several people have nominated ISPs as collection points for P2P. Every Internet user gets web access from an ISP, and most have a regular financial relationship with one as well. In exchange for protection from lawsuits, ISPs could sell "licensed" accounts (at an extra charge) to P2P users. Alternatively, they could charge everyone a smaller fee and give their customers blanket protection
As long as it a a fair dollar value.

Another place to generate revenue is on the media that people use to store music, also known as a "media tariff." Canada and Germany tax all recordable CDs and then distribute the funds to artists. In the U.S., we have royalty-paid recordable CDs and data CDs. It's difficult to pay artists accurately with this system alone, but other data (statistics from P2P nets, for instance) could be used to make the disbursement of funds more fair.
Again if it is a fair amout.

Just 2 ideas taken from an EFF page at
http://www.eff.org/share/compensation.php.

Also I'm sure you will ask what I think is fair regarding the first ...
Under $10 a month, possibly unde $5, plenty if you mutiply by millions of user.

bluedevil
07-26-2003, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by REALITY@26 July 2003 - 23:00
Also I'm sure you will ask what I think is fair...
Under $10 a month, possibly unde $5, plenty if you mutiply by millions of user.
that sounds a lot better :D

MetroStars
07-26-2003, 10:05 PM
Even if i wanted 2 pay i couldn't afford it... what if i wanted 2 dl 50 songs it would wipe me out... so no i wouln't consider paying...

RealitY
07-26-2003, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by MetroStars@26 July 2003 - 23:05
Even if i wanted 2 pay i couldn't afford it... what if i wanted 2 dl 50 songs it would wipe me out... so no i wouln't consider paying...
I think were all clear that a by item idea is bad and unwanted, though what do you think about the two ideas I showed above.

3rd gen noob
07-26-2003, 10:27 PM
why pay when you can get it for free...??

RealitY
07-26-2003, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by 3rd gen noob@26 July 2003 - 23:27
why pay when you can get it for free...??
I think the ideas I posted above is better than the current long term idea the AA has about sueing everyone and costing some of us to cough up attorney fees or worse. Lets be realistic this needs to come to an end at some point, its out of hand. Besides I'de be happy to give my ISP under $10 a month for what can be got with a clear head, not to mention a little sanity compared to all of this kaos at hand.

Besides this isn't FREE anymore, if you consider all the aggravation of weeding through fakes and malicious code that they've created, unless you consider your time is worthless.

Thats REALITY.

3rd gen noob
07-26-2003, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by REALITY@26 July 2003 - 23:43
I think the ideas I posted above is better than the current long term idea the AA has about sueing everyone and costing some of us to cough up attorney fees or worse. Lets be realistic this needs to come to an end at some point, its out of hand. Besides I'de be happy to give my ISP under $10 a month for what can be got with a clear head, not to mention a little sanity compared to all of this kaos at hand.

Thats REALITY.
riaa are going after americans

i am from scotland

so i'm not paying :)

RealitY
07-26-2003, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by 3rd gen noob@26 July 2003 - 23:44
riaa are going after americans

i am from scotland

so i'm not paying :)
I'm sure the rest of you ar not far behind, Australia and the UK are on top of the list.
Unfortunately this BullShit starts here, but will not end here by any chance.

Also you miss my addon to the above post...

Besides this isn't FREE anymore, if you consider all the aggravation of weeding through fakes and malicious code that they've created, unless you consider your time is worthless.

3rd gen noob
07-26-2003, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by REALITY@26 July 2003 - 23:49

in all the time i've used kazaa (and it's variants), i've had one virus and 2 fake files.

if you know what you're doing, the situation isn't too bad

also, what's the point in starting a topic asking for opinions only to ignore them completely when they contradict yours?

RealitY
07-26-2003, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by 3rd gen noob@26 July 2003 - 23:54
also, what's the point in starting a topic asking for opinions only to ignore them completely when they contradict yours?
Errrrr...

First I didn't start this topic.
Second I was just having a dialouge with you which I will avoid in the future,
since you only wish to have one line responses.

if you know what you're doing, the situation isn't too bad
Agreed.

internet.news
07-27-2003, 10:48 AM
that is unfortunately not the idea of filesharing - and there is more
behind the idea: we have to share our thoughts openly (except some private one)
to understand each other better :)

But there already exist some of these kind of services for Apple as you read:
and if you look in normal music shop: if you want to order a hard to order/find
cd, YOU HAVE TO WAIT 2 or 3 WEEKS UNTIL IT ARRIVES :( That is possibly more or less one reason also why people try to search for their music on Kazaa :)( -
means: if I can get a good really good music as fast as possible on the internet
- order on amazon and get it in at least 2-3days - I would probably try to buy it -
but if it is take very long... Another reason why I would buy a cd is: if it is good
it is worth to support the musician for making more music :)

If you look on all these new small artists - it is difficult to find a place in
the world of music for new artists :(

thanks anyway, david.

Adster
07-27-2003, 12:41 PM
f*ck that I'm not paying 1 cent