PDA

View Full Version : No desktop

barryk32
01-03-2008, 11:05 AM
Hi, I was hoping someone from here could help me before I reinstall windows.

I tried to update my nod32 but none of the keys I could find were working so I tried places I wouldn't normally go.

As a result all my desktop icons and taskbar have vanished and my sidebar keeps uninstalling leaving my desktop totally blank other than the wallpaper.

I can access programs via task manager and have tried various suggestions I have found on the internet but nothing seems to fix it.

On the boot screen since the problems it now says IBM OS/2 WARP.

If all else fails is Black XP 7.01 DVD USA Final the one people are recommending?

Thanks in advance.

backlash
01-03-2008, 12:33 PM
is system restore on? Maybe try restoring to an earlier date before a reinstall.

barryk32
01-03-2008, 12:52 PM
is system restore on? Maybe try restoring to an earlier date before a reinstall.

All previous restore points have been deleted, tis a bugger.

Aerozin
01-03-2008, 03:59 PM
its not your main question but , use kaspersky anti virus instead of nod32 :p

100%
01-03-2008, 04:05 PM
sounds like you got a virus
reboot in safe mode (press f8 button)
use nod32 standalone virus scanner and check system.

also check what process are starting up, which could cause this.

BLaZiN
01-03-2008, 08:26 PM
See if ya can manually bring up the desktop i.e open task manager, click on file, in the drop down click "new task run" and type explorer.exe that should bring the desktop back up. Why its happened is anybodys guess but sounds like u have been infected in one way or another.

barryk32
01-04-2008, 01:19 PM
See if ya can manually bring up the desktop i.e open task manager, click on file, in the drop down click "new task run" and type explorer.exe that should bring the desktop back up. Why its happened is anybodys guess but sounds like u have been infected in one way or another.

This works for a second then its off again, I tried to do a xp repair with a boot disk and this has failed.

I'll try safe mode/virus scan next.

EDIT :- Didn't work, Desktop wasn't even there in safe mode. XP black with full format it is then :-(

grimms
01-05-2008, 06:16 AM
Make sure you didn't accidently untick show desktop icons. Right click your mouse on your windows OS desktop, select arrange icons by and make sure (show desktop is ticked)If this is a windows xp system. If all else fails after trying this solution and seeking other solutions. Just reformat and add more software to protect you in the future. Also stay away from beta stuff.

Emma1979
03-10-2008, 02:53 AM
try going into the command prompt and typing in 'chckdsk /r'
This will check your hard drive over and repair any damaged part of ur hard drive.