PDA

View Full Version : Modems Adsl Or Overwise

Neo 721
07-26-2003, 11:34 PM
I was curios which type of modem can give the best performance external or internal? :)

4play
07-26-2003, 11:37 PM
internals are cheaper £25 but generally are winmodems which means they use your cpu to process data.

external ones are real stand alone modems so they should be a better option. I would also consider getting yourself a router/switch/modem combo for about £70 they give you the ability to expand in the future.

SiRius128
07-27-2003, 12:23 AM
would an external modem posibly make my conection faster? AT ALL?

3rd gen noob
07-27-2003, 12:26 AM
this is a great question. i was gonna ask it myself soon, considering adsl is coming in about a month.

i've heard external modems are better, but wouldn't mind some expert opinions

Neo 721
07-27-2003, 11:25 AM
The trouble with external is that they often have to use USB which is slow.

3rd gen noob
07-27-2003, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Neo 721@27 July 2003 - 12:25
The trouble with external is that they often have to use USB which is slow.
usb1.1 is 13mbps (to the best of my knowledge), which is a whole lot faster than most broadband

usb2.0 is 480mpbs, so if your broadband is better than that, i'll eat my hat (residential broadband that is)

lynx
07-27-2003, 03:08 PM
I wouldn't touch an internal winmodem with a bargepole - they take far too much processing power, but don't forget you will need (yet more) power for an external modem.

Internal adsl modems are hardware modems (at least I haven't seen any software ones), so they are just as good as external from that point of view.

There's absolutely no need to get a router if you've only got one pc.

Even if you've got more than one you can set one of them up to be a proxy server (if you know how to do it). It can be just as easy as configuring a router. Just make sure all the software you are using knows how to use a proxy server. It saves the cost of the hardware, and you only need one set of firewall software too.