PDA

View Full Version : What you do with your FLAC files

Wilton331
01-03-2008, 09:30 PM
Instead of just asking the question, what do all of the

audiophiles here at FST do with their lossless music?

I'm interested because I am new with downloading lossless

myself, and would like to know what everyone else does.

Tokeman
01-03-2008, 09:33 PM
Well I can't speak for the rest of us, but I listen to them, burn them, and keep them safe on my external for future use.

Cruel
01-03-2008, 09:36 PM
I save them on my harddrive so that when I find a musicplayer that supports it I have a collection of songs already.

Some I've made CDs of for my car since I always scratch those.

$we
01-03-2008, 09:43 PM
I convert mine to .ogg -q4 and throw them onto my flash player.

th0r
01-03-2008, 09:54 PM
Listen to them on my sound system, why would you down-sample lossless when you could easily download lossy?

Actatoi
01-03-2008, 10:00 PM
I keep them for archive purpose and future better use.

xxzzxx
01-03-2008, 10:02 PM
I listen to it on my pc sound sys ( it's not a shitty 1 ).

Right now i am in the bright side of the moon and hearing
something that coming from the dark side, so i am going to check it :P.

Ac3Dunk
01-03-2008, 10:10 PM
I use one tracker most of the time to get flac music bc I find out that the quality coming from other trackers is weak.
I burn it on CD so I can listen to on my car.

pro267
01-03-2008, 10:13 PM
Burn and listen to it on a proper system and/or just listen to it from the computer.

Wilton331
01-03-2008, 10:24 PM
I use one tracker most of the time to get flac music bc I find out that the quality coming from other trackers is weak.

Yeah I'm currently trying to get into that tracker but it's very difficult. My other trackers are sufficient for now.

Daniel
01-03-2008, 10:29 PM
For portable use I encode them into MP3 V0 to use them on my iPod and in my car.

At home they're in unchanged lossless quality on my HTPC because I have the perfect audio and video system. Burning on CD's is too much of a hassle, it's actually the other way around as I have ripped all my bought CD's for direct use in my media center.

Cruel
01-03-2008, 10:30 PM

I don't have "your" trackers but I find Waffles pretty satisfying even though they need more regular flac contests.

Grind$oFine
01-03-2008, 10:35 PM
Typically I convert it MP3 and save the FLAC files on an external.
For the most part I use my iPod for music so I can't use FLAC for that, but I like to keep perfect quality backed up for future/other use.
When I'm listening to music out loud, I have my computer/externalHD hooked up to my tv/sound system so I definitely listen to FLAC when I want to blast music throughout the house for when people are over and all that.
:music:

t0mmy
01-03-2008, 10:43 PM
i just listen to them :P especially with trance ones, it sounds clearer

Ac3Dunk
01-03-2008, 10:55 PM

I don't have "your" trackers but I find Waffles pretty satisfying even though they need more regular flac contests.

well quality in both waffles and what depand on the uploader skill but I usually found it sound like a transcode ;).

kaffeine
01-03-2008, 10:59 PM
I listen to them in my computer. Sometimes I burn them to CD to listen in my sound system.

lossless ftw

Cruel
01-03-2008, 11:11 PM

well quality in both waffles and what depand on the uploader skill but I usually found it sound like a transcode ;).

Ok you're probably right, haven't gone through many of them yet waiting to use them other than on my crappy PC but the albums I have seemed good.

One day when I find the time I'll learn how to check them properly.

AugustoP
01-03-2008, 11:19 PM
Funny thing is most of people who download flacs can't differentiate it from V0 or 192 kbit mp3 in a double blind test.

ScreaminJay
01-03-2008, 11:22 PM
aa

Stellar
01-03-2008, 11:27 PM
I often burn them to CD and then convert the files to v0 mp3.
The original FLAC files are only removed after I've seeded them sufficiently.

smellycat
01-03-2008, 11:34 PM
Play them on my High quality computer sound system.

Burn a few for the car cd.

But store them all (+ artwork) on external hard disks.

Adman65
01-03-2008, 11:53 PM
I listen to it on my Sennheiser heaphones. I'm going to buy a headphone amp soon to replace my logitech z5500 system. The z5500 is damn good, but the headphones + amp will be so much better.

No point in downloading FLAC is you are going to convert it, unless that is the only format you can dl in. I would never convert flac to store it on my comp. The only time I would is if I wanted to make mp3 CD's/DVD's for a long trip.

whitmar
01-03-2008, 11:58 PM
I usually burn them to a CD directly with Roxio or Nero. If they are 24/96 flacs I make a DVD-A with DiscWelder. I store them on the hard drive as flac, and play them directly with VLC player.

Zaxx
01-03-2008, 11:59 PM
Get em...convert em to v0...send the flac files to the storage arrays for future burns or whatever.

Ac3Dunk
01-03-2008, 11:59 PM
Funny thing is most of people who download flacs can't differentiate it from V0 or 192 kbit mp3 in a double blind test.

Well said :lol:

ceasar
01-04-2008, 12:06 AM
but I listen to them, burn them, and keep them safe on my external for future use.
Same here :yup:

Polarbear
01-04-2008, 12:18 AM
i burn them to cd, because my hifi system (cd-player) beats any computer. my only concern is, that nobody can exactly tell how long data on a cd will last.

krunktastic
01-04-2008, 01:01 AM
I usually burn them to a CD directly with Roxio or Nero. If they are 24/96 flacs I make a DVD-A with DiscWelder. I store them on the hard drive as flac, and play them directly with VLC player.

Doesn't VLC compress the audio...defeating the whole purpose of FLAC?

Try foobar2000.

Daniel
01-04-2008, 01:02 AM
i burn them to cd, because my hifi system (cd-player) beats any computer. my only concern is, that nobody can exactly tell how long data on a cd will last.
Longer than the average lifetime of a hdd in any case, so burning on discs can be a valuable data storage procedure.

You're right about another thing too: many computers lack the hardware quality to play lossless music back in a quality that is deserving for the format, take all those onboard music chips for example. Given the appropriate hardware, a computer based hifi system can be much more comfortable to use though and that's the large drawback of burning CD's and being limited to one album at a time. (And in the end it isn't all that expensive because it can be a multi-purpose system)

edit: VLC does what every media player capable of the FLAC format does: decoding it. It would be a pretty useless piece of software if it couldn't play audio back in the input format ;) But I agree with krunktastic that other players are better suited for audio playback, not because of questionable quality but because they're better suited to handling playlists like the mentioned foobar2k.

xxzzxx
01-04-2008, 01:09 AM

This is a pure nonsense, with the right sound equipment u will
definitely hear the difference, but i geuss u right when the
equipment is shitty.

Polarbear
01-04-2008, 01:22 AM
Longer than the average lifetime of a hdd in any case, so burning on discs can be a valuable data storage procedure.

You're right about another thing too: many computers lack the hardware quality to play lossless music back in a quality that is deserving for the format, take all those onboard music chips for example. Given the appropriate hardware, a computer based hifi system can be much more comfortable to use though and that's the large drawback of burning CD's and being limited to one album at a time. (And in the end it isn't all that expensive because it can be a multi-purpose system)

edit: VLC does what every media player capable of the FLAC format does: decoding it. It would be a pretty useless piece of software if it couldn't play audio back in the input format ;) But I agree with krunktastic that other players are better suited for audio playback, not because of questionable quality but because they're better suited to handling playlists like the mentioned foobar2k.

you are right about the comfort factor. i sometimes listen to radio shows, dj mixes or mp3/flac playlists with my mac hooked up to my hifi system.

but when it comes to sound no computer can beat my cambridge audio azur 840c.

and when i want the real thing soundwise i listen to the good old vinyl - no risk of losing data and the best sound that one can imagine.

Adman65
01-04-2008, 02:14 AM
I like to listen to FLAC on my set of 2 speakers. They are both 2" in diameter. They have good bass.

DOH. Need a decent system to hear the difference.

Skiz
01-04-2008, 03:11 AM
Moved to "Music".

I listen to them on the PC and burn some to disc.

whitmar
01-04-2008, 03:53 AM
[Doesn't VLC compress the audio...defeating the whole purpose of FLAC?

Try foobar2000.

Thanks for the suggestion--I will. btw, I didn't mean to imply that I play flac files on my computer with VLC through my hi-fi system. I agree that would not sound very good. I'm glad to hear foobar2000 doesn't compress audio. I have the files, just never installed it. tbh, I'm not sure my modest computer speakers would sound much better though. I only listen to music through the computer when my wife is asleep or when I'm editing or compiling.

@Skizo: Hook 'em Horns, neighbor!

Skiz
01-04-2008, 03:58 AM
@Skizo: Hook 'em Horns, neighbor!

:wave:

mrSnoggins
01-04-2008, 05:13 AM
FLACs are for CDs imo.

AugustoP
01-04-2008, 09:32 AM

This is a pure nonsense, with the right sound equipment u will
definitely hear the difference, but i geuss u right when the
equipment is shitty.

Conduct a test with foobar's ABX comparator and you'll see it yourself.

orfik
01-04-2008, 11:45 AM
I eat them. :mellow:

grimms
01-04-2008, 03:57 PM
How you play flac? I have the frontend but don't know how to play them on my pc. I do burn them to cd though (loseless).

Actatoi
01-04-2008, 06:05 PM
How you play flac? I have the frontend but don't know how to play them on my pc. I do burn them to cd though (loseless).

I use foobar. Don't know if it's the best but it does the job.

Cruel
01-04-2008, 08:52 PM

I use foobar. Don't know if it's the best but it does the job.

foobar is fantastic and can look awesome, been using it now for 6 months and when i started winamp on my old computers I was like "wtf why did I use this"