PDA

View Full Version : FTN : before and after the ratio system

FatBob
01-05-2008, 07:10 AM
this is a question for ftn members only

do you find the downloads speed less or equal to before the no ratio system was implemented ?

just curious :happy:

i know if such a system was implemented in a site like TL , it would have been a complete disaster . :mellow:

fsephie
01-05-2008, 07:28 AM

do you find the downloads speed less or equal to before the no ratio system was implemented ?

i know if such a system was implemented in a site like TL , it would have been a complete disaster . :mellow:

While I never had an account before the change, I will say that my seedbox is often max/near-maxed out on whatever torrent I download (100/100). Furthermore, I find that I can seed better there than at other sites even if I don't jump on the torrent in the first 10 seconds.

I think it works quite nicely.

FatBob
01-05-2008, 07:45 AM

While I never had an account before the change, I will say that my seedbox is often max/near-maxed out on whatever torrent I download (100/100). Furthermore, I find that I can seed better there than at other sites even if I don't jump on the torrent in the first 10 seconds.

I think it works quite nicely.

ah great

so what about old torrents , those 2 week+ torrents ?

do you get nice speeds for that too ?

Dale.Cooper
01-05-2008, 07:48 AM
Yeah, no problem with older torrents. The new system works great! More traffic = more seeders.

Cheffy
01-05-2008, 07:54 AM
The speed have gone down some. But i only notice it on my box. But then again, its become easier to seed. It used to be close to impossible to seed there. Noone was getting anything except the freeleech packs.
So it was a grate move by staff to go for no ratio.

pandabear
01-05-2008, 07:58 AM
Well more leechers = less speed when your download i suppose, if you grab early, but if you grab late you iwll get maxed out :P But on a personal scale, and lurking thru the peers list, i would say speeds have gone down a bit, but seriously downloading at 4 or 5MBps is great enough :o

Grind$oFine
01-05-2008, 08:18 AM
Although the speed quite possibly went down, it couldn't be a substantial change.

I mean, I used to have a connection that when maxed out it would take me over 24 hours to download a DVD.
Does the difference between downloading a file in 40 seconds or 60 seconds with a seedbox really make that much of a difference??
The new ratio system makes it easier for people who DON'T have seedboxes be able to download, which I think is a more positive effect than seedboxes users always getting their max speed.

FatBob
01-05-2008, 08:25 AM
so the speed has only slightly gone down even on old torrents ? correct ?

even when the members only had to seed for some required hours (72 hours ? ) . they still seed stuff , which is just great .

i guess its a result of the great community they build up

ps: i am not a member so stop pm'ing for FTN invites :wacko:

Mister Moo
01-05-2008, 08:30 AM
the speed on older torrents has always been slow(er). The reason for this is that people seed older torrents on their home connections while newer torrents go on the seedbox. I think the ratio system has made old torrents a tad bit faster because more people are willing to d/l them, fully knowing that they will not be able to seed it one to one.

Zaxx
01-05-2008, 08:47 AM
...but seriously downloading at 4 or 5MBps is great enough :o

Maxs me out at 2.2MB/s time after time. I couldn't ask for more. Torrents stay seeded for quite a while w/o ratios. Avg seed time is also reviewed when asking for invites...;)

pandabear
01-05-2008, 08:48 AM
Yup its nice to grab old stuff, and not worry at all. Only problem is people are grabbing old things, and seeding to 36 hours and dumping at times, which means its harder for next person to grab etc. Thats why i still prefer TL/ScT over FTN for old things, because theres usually a lot more seeds available. Maybe thats more the larger userbase not the seeding rules. But yea a lot of the userbase are well disciplined members who are willing to seed for much longer and much higher than min time and ratio. Only problem i suppose is the influx of new users, who will need to learn the system.

zizo85
01-05-2008, 09:08 AM
its great system :yup:

monk3y
01-05-2008, 09:37 AM
better better better :)

Pazzini
01-05-2008, 10:38 AM
I have noticed no decrease in speed what so ever...I nearly always max out my connection, currently 2.3MBps.

FTN is and always will be great!

fOrUmAs
01-05-2008, 11:56 AM

well i dont no how there was when they have ratio system since i have join there after they removed ratio ,but its not to hard to guess how it was:)

also with ratio gone more people can now download with no worry abouth they ratio and that is one of the best things on FTN..

p.s speed is great:D

wrongun92
01-05-2008, 05:12 PM
so a curious question would be? Which economy functions better? A ratio one or a non-ratio one.

One of the factors would surely be how well behaved the community of the tracker is. I reckon ratioless(if you can call them that), are probably on trackers that have good users and thus good community. If you get a favor from the tracker, the majority of the users are good enough to return the favor.

It all depends on one's environment. For instance, if you see people around you holding the door for you at malls and other places, one also feels the need to do it out of courtesy.

FatBob
01-05-2008, 05:18 PM
Yup its nice to grab old stuff, and not worry at all. Only problem is people are grabbing old things, and seeding to 36 hours and dumping at times, which means its harder for next person to grab etc. Thats why i still prefer TL/ScT over FTN for old things, because theres usually a lot more seeds available. .

thats the part i was worried about , the 36 hours seeding rule and the no ratio system on old torrents :yup:

i guess some people just love seeding and sharing irrespective of the seeding hour rules and no ratio system

i have great respect for such people :)

so i guess only torrent sites with a strong community will dare to do something like the non ratio system

Beenieman
01-05-2008, 05:24 PM
Since the ratio was removed at ftn I've not noticed any negative impact and speeds have remained the same if not better, What I have noticed too is more users and in turn torrents staying alive longer regardless of the 36 hour rule.

So all in all it's been a positive move and has encouraged people to be more active in my opinion.

:)

fazzy07
01-05-2008, 06:28 PM
I wasn't there before the ratio free rule but the speeds have always been good

Even on older 2+weeks torrents its maxes on the popular stuff and the packs are seeded well too

Some other older stuff aren't seeded and ftn sometimes misses releases. Well, thats what I have other trackers for

pandabear
01-05-2008, 07:19 PM
Yup its nice to grab old stuff, and not worry at all. Only problem is people are grabbing old things, and seeding to 36 hours and dumping at times, which means its harder for next person to grab etc. Thats why i still prefer TL/ScT over FTN for old things, because theres usually a lot more seeds available. .

thats the part i was worried about , the 36 hours seeding rule and the no ratio system on old torrents :yup:

i guess some people just love seeding and sharing irrespective of the seeding hour rules and no ratio system

i have great respect for such people :)

so i guess only torrent sites with a strong community will dare to do something like the non ratio system

Yea luckily on ftn, the percentages of good users to bad users is good users >> Bad users.

whitmar
01-06-2008, 12:09 AM
I'm not a member of FTN, but I hope you'll permit my input. I got into the habit of seeding old files for long periods on Demonoid. My wife would ask me if I might find some old forgotten movie or musical selection she had enjoyed as a kid. I could usually find it on Demonoid, and even if it had been uploaded years before, there were often at least 1 or 2 seeders. I would then seed it until I had to make space on my hard drives. Even though Demonoid tracked ratios, they never enforced them, which is a bit similar in some ways to FTN. I still have a lot of their 5.1 surround music files ready to seed upon its resurrection. It's easy to keep most files on perma-seed as there is seldom any download activity. Right now, for example, I've got 138 files set for seeding, but only 3 are actively seeding. My office, which has a higher upload speed static IP, has even more files seeding at all times. I understand that FTN has a very supportive and cooperative membership, so I imagine there are many who feel as I do and would be surprised to learn that dropping the ratio requirement had a significant adverse impact on old file availability.

Giveaway
01-06-2008, 12:10 AM
how does FTN force you to seed if they've not ratio system?

sakur
01-06-2008, 12:18 AM

They have a system that you have too seed atleast 1:1 or have the torrent for 72 hours. I think that is right.

Giveaway
01-06-2008, 12:21 AM

They have a system that you have too seed atleast 1:1 or have the torrent for 72 hours. I think that is right.
can you be clearer?

Mistral
01-06-2008, 12:37 AM

Some people don't need to be forced to seed, they share because they want to.:happy:

0Ri0N
01-06-2008, 12:41 AM

Some people don't need to be forced to seed, they share because they want to.:happy:

Sure.
The P2P spirit is pretty strong in some BT/eMule/Whatever communities.

vinhkhang01
01-06-2008, 03:09 AM
Besides the spirit of sharing, you also build up your ratio as well.

Giveaway
01-06-2008, 01:00 PM
so what happens if you hit and run on FTN ?

Giveaway
01-06-2008, 01:41 PM

Beenieman
01-06-2008, 03:21 PM
You get warned and if you don't fix it you gen banned I assume.

whitmar
01-06-2008, 08:35 PM
I miss your old avatar, beenieman! :naughty: