PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard commands & shortcuts?

mr. nails
01-05-2008, 11:03 AM
can everyone list all known keyboard commands & shortcuts?

i'll start with easy known ones.

alt+tab = cycles thru opened apps

windows key+R = run command

print screen key = takes a screen shot of ur desktop

f5 = refresh

easy no0b stuff. what's some good ones?

HyperNode
01-05-2008, 12:12 PM
What you just posted are known as hotkeys not keyboard commands the commands are something else which is for i/o commands for the controller which interrupt each keystrokes and translates it.

Now hotkeys are nothing special they are just simply TIGGER EVENTS which is fixed, not all hotkey works under all platforms. You can make your own hotkeys and assgine it a task based on the script you write and what action you want to perform.

PS: As you are using M$ WinBLOW you can google for a list but it does not mean it will work for me or anyone else unless its very common task or supported by the bios as its i/o basic function.

lee551
01-05-2008, 06:57 PM
okay, the WINDOWS ones (alternative OS purists can pass) i use often not mentioned yet.

F2 = rename
alt-f4 = close window
windows-e = explorer (i use this on vista more since explorer & my computer are the same interface now unlike previous ver)
windows-d = show desktop aka toggle minimize all
ctrl-f = find
ctrl-x/c/v = cut/copy/paste of course
ctrl-p = print
ctrl-a = select all
ctrl-z = undo (in apps ctrl-y is usually redo i believe)
alt-prtscn = screenshot of only the active window

those are about all the ones i routinely use in the interest of convenience or saving time moving my hand back and forth. alt-tab alone is my fave.

my first google result turned up this (http://www.autohotkey.com/forum/topic1841.html) pretty comprehensive list from another forum. it includes specific app ones aswell.

backlash
01-05-2008, 08:18 PM
I use all of the above along with windows key + pause break for system properties and alt+D while in firefox or IE to select the address bar.

Ph4wX
01-06-2008, 02:35 AM
http://www.autohotkey.com/forum/topic1841.html
http://allhotkeys.com/mozilla_firefox_hotkeys.html
http://allhotkeys.com/adobe-photoshop-cs2-hotkeys.html

i killed it didn't i?

well, some hotkeys i use alot are

alt + tab (between programs)
ctrl + tab (firefox, between tabs, photoshop, between works, etc)
alt+a (open favorites in explorer (you can press first letter of bookmark to select it))
windowkey + r (run)

i also have couple extra keys on top of my keyboard that i set to run differant programs (calculator, ventrilo, firefox, paint, ec) with "TweakXP" which is a xp powertoy

something else that i have is "imageshack quickshot"

so pretty much, with one hotkey, i can takescreenshot + save + upload in 5-10secs =]

try it yourself
http://reg.imageshack.us/content.php?page=features

hope it helps =]

EDIT: wow nice guyz, i actually learned 2new hotkeys today =]

windows-e = explorer (i use this on vista more since explorer & my computer are the same interface now unlike previous ver)
windows-d = show desktop aka toggle minimize all

mr. nails
01-06-2008, 02:39 AM
What you just posted are known as hotkeys not keyboard commands the commands are something else which is for i/o commands for the controller which interrupt each keystrokes and translates it.

Now hotkeys are nothing special they are just simply TIGGER EVENTS which is fixed, not all hotkey works under all platforms. You can make your own hotkeys and assgine it a task based on the script you write and what action you want to perform.

PS: As you are using M$ WinBLOW you can google for a list but it does not mean it will work for me or anyone else unless its very common task or supported by the bios as its i/o basic function.

lol, whatever dude. u know what i meant and i didn't need an explanation. i was bored so i made a thread.

i read some good ones on here somewhere that i've forgotten that use firefox. i was hoping someone would had posted them by now. :(

Ph4wX
01-06-2008, 03:19 PM
WTF I DID!! RAWR

=[

some of firefox stuff i use =

ctrl+t (new tab)
ctrl+tab (goes through tabS)
alt+d (selects urll bar)
i also have keywords for my bookmarks, so if i go alt+d then write fst, it will comehere ^^

tesco
01-06-2008, 08:52 PM
window + tab = a cool, useless effect in vista

clocker
01-06-2008, 10:43 PM
My mother loves that one.
Shows it off to all her friends and swings a giant epeen.

She still doesn't know where her saved pictures go, but oh well.

tesco
01-07-2008, 02:18 AM
My mother loves that one.
Shows it off to all her friends and swings a giant epeen.

She still doesn't know where her saved pictures go, but oh well.
:lol:

Skiz
01-07-2008, 02:51 AM
Ctrl + +/- will increase or decrease the font size in a browser. I use that one at work all the time.

A shortcut to that shortcut is to hold Ctrl and roll the mouse wheel up or down.

Kebert
01-07-2008, 06:22 AM
Most already have been listed :D

Ctrl-Shift-T: Bring back previous closed tab(s)
Ctrl-W: Close Windows Explorer window / Firefox tab / Pidgin tab

mr. nails
01-07-2008, 07:57 AM

don't have vista anymore. is that the 3d windows option? lol, can't remember.

Ctrl + +/- will increase or decrease the font size in a browser. I use that one at work all the time.

A shortcut to that shortcut is to hold Ctrl and roll the mouse wheel up or down.

nice. i did not know that. thx.

Ctrl-Shift-T: Bring back previous closed tab(s)
Ctrl-W: Close Windows Explorer window / Firefox tab / Pidgin tab

nice. that's what i was looking for. thx!

limpdickkid
01-07-2008, 08:45 AM
Alt+Space+ x/n/r/c = Maximize/Minimize/Restore/Close window. I use these shortcut alot.
Alt+Returnkey = Properties of File/Folder

In Firefox:
Ctrl + K = Jump to Search field
Ctrl + L = Jump to Address Bar
Ctrl + B = Opens searchable Bookmarks sidebar
Ctrl + H = Opens searchable History sidebar

DefX
01-07-2008, 04:48 PM
For the few linux users here

PrintScreen/SysRq + Alt, then type REISUB to reboot safely.