PDA

View Full Version : Burning Songs

brynasmith
07-27-2003, 04:18 PM
is it possable to put a cassete tape on the computer (or on a CD) I have some great songs but they are all on cassetts

Celerystalksme
07-27-2003, 04:23 PM
if your computer is hooked up to your stereo reciever you should be able to

Im quoting HeavyMetalParkingLot here...so don't get up me if it doesn't work...

brynasmith
07-27-2003, 04:27 PM
how do I get ny stereo hooked up to my computer? Do I need a specail kind a wire or what?

Celerystalksme
07-27-2003, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by brynasmith@28 July 2003 - 02:27
how do I get ny stereo hooked up to my computer? Do I need a specail kind a wire or what?
Im guessing so...im not quite sure though...i would be interested to hear the responses though...

HeavyMetalParkingLot
07-27-2003, 04:51 PM
Hook your computer up to your stereo

Connect the 1/8-inch mini-jack end to your sound card's line-out jack and connect the two RCA adapters to your stereo. Depending on your stereo you may have to use an auxiliary channel. It doesn't really matter what channel you use as long as it's not the tape or phono (yes, records, remember those things?) channels.

Fire up an MP3 player or CD on your PC, turn on your stereo (make sure you have the correct output channel selected), and pump up the volume. You should now be playing tunes from your PC through your stereo speakers. It's that easy.

Going digital

If you want to get really fancy (and have the right hardware), you can also connect your PC and stereo with a digital audio connection. You'll need two things:

A sound card with a digital S/PDIF output;
An A/V receiver with, you guessed it, an S/PDIF input.

The output from the sound card can either be an optical TOS connection or a coaxial connection with an RCA-style plug or 1/8-inch mini-jack. Most popular sound cards, including the Creative SoundBlaster Series starting with Live!, include a 1/8-inch S/PDIF output connection. Any decent A/V surround sound receiver should include both types of connectors.

Connect the two optically or with a coaxial cable.
Set your PC's output and A/V receiver's input to S/PDIF.

The receiver does all the processing, resulting in a cleaner sound from your speakers. Of course, if your speakers and receiver are sub-par quality, you probably won't notice any improvement.

Long-distance hook-up

If your PC and stereo aren't located in the same room, you have a couple options.

Pick up additional stereo RCA-to-RCA cabling in 36-feet increments.
Invest in an audio/video sender such as the $99.99 RadioShack 2.4-GHz Wireless Room-to-Room Audio/Video Sender. It delivers high-quality audio/video signals up to 100 feet.

With the A/V Sender, you can send data other than just sound. We used the A/V Sender to broadcast a DVD movie from our office to another TV about 60 feet away. The TV receiving the video and audio signal looked great and had limited interference. One thing to keep in mind is that many cordless phones operate in this frequency range. Expect some interference when receiving phone calls if you own a cordless phone that uses the 2.4-GHz frequency.

Jibbler
07-27-2003, 05:26 PM
Are people still using cassettes out there? Either buy the music on CD, or download it from Kazaa. Converting from cassette to CD will most like give you results that you won't be happy with. ;)

Skillian
07-27-2003, 06:23 PM
There's a lot of music out there that isn't available on CD or on Kazaa. I recently put a few jungle tapes onto CD, and was very impressed with the quality.

HMPL was talking about computer to cassette, whereas I think this guy wants to go cassette to CD.

First off you need a cassette player with some kind of audio out (headphone socket is fine). You then need to hook up the headphone socket on the tape player to the line in on your computer. Then open a program like Cool Edit Pro (though I'm sure there's some freeware wave recorders out there), press play on the cassette and record on Cool Edit Pro. If you have a level monitor make sure the input isn't going into the red - your best bet is to record a minute or so then check it to see the quality.

After this you'll have a wave file which you can record directly onto CD or you can do what I did, which is to convert that .wav to .mp3 (using dBPowerAmp) and then use an mp3 splitter to break it down into tracks. I then recorded to CD from there while keeping the mp3s on my computer. Good luck mate :)

Ask again or PM me if you need a bit more detail.

HeavyMetalParkingLot
07-27-2003, 07:46 PM
play around with it, and you can get it to go both ways

brynasmith
07-28-2003, 06:46 AM
thank you guys sooo much I needed to know how to take from cassette to Cd but the rest of it was very interesting too. Thanks!

Adster
07-28-2003, 06:54 AM
Jeez wouldn't that be s** quality? :blink:

brynasmith
07-28-2003, 08:14 AM
I did what you said but I don't hear nothing. I rec. but I hear nothing

brynasmith
07-29-2003, 06:31 AM
is anyone here to help me?

Rocktron
07-29-2003, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by brynasmith@29 July 2003 - 07:31
is anyone here to help me?
Yes i can help,

i do this all the time. Recording from tape or vinyl.
Here is the problem:

The input of your Mixer is OFF (disabled) by default!
Just UnCheck that box and it should work now.

I run all the recordings through soundforge after that to improve the quality..

Good Luck!

brynasmith
07-29-2003, 11:45 AM
were do I get to the defualt to turn it on?

brynasmith
08-04-2003, 04:21 PM
Yo! Anyone here?

mogadishu
08-04-2003, 07:58 PM
somebody help him..

Adster
08-05-2003, 04:13 AM
hmm this thread has gone dead someone help the poor man

brynasmith
08-11-2003, 07:47 AM
hello? ne1 here?

Adster
08-11-2003, 08:03 AM
Ive been lookign sorry mate still can't find out what your problem may be I would have to be their physicaly

Skillian
08-11-2003, 10:16 AM
Tell us exactly what you've done so far (what software, exactly how you've hooked everything up etc.) and we might be able to find the problem.

The only thing I'd say is make sure the volume is up on your stereo/walkman and that it is plugged into the line-in of your computer, not the mic socket. When you press play on the tape, you should be able to hear it through your PC speakers.

Double click on the speaker icon in the taskbar and make sure the line-in volume is at a reasonable level and not muted.

Twigboy
08-11-2003, 10:30 AM
If you don't have volume icon in your taskbar check in your control panel.

brynasmith
08-14-2003, 07:38 AM
Well, I have the Cool Edit pro program that someone here said I should use. I hooked my stereo up to my computer (using the earphone line- someone here said that I can do that) I went into cool edit pro, pressed play on my stereo and started recording but nothing recorded.
Am I missing something?

Adster
08-14-2003, 08:21 AM
You might need a mixer desk im not sure if that will work

Rocktron
08-14-2003, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by brynasmith@14 August 2003 - 08:38
Well, I have the Cool Edit pro program that someone here said I should use. I hooked my stereo up to my computer (using the earphone line- someone here said that I can do that) I went into cool edit pro, pressed play on my stereo and started recording but nothing recorded.
Am I missing something?
You must have a mixer icon in the Startbar (the yellow speaker)... double click it.
Uncheck the mute thing at the LINE IN.

The Earphone input is not the input to use.. (it's an OUTPUT)
Just use the normal INPUT.
But you need a Pre-amp. My pre-amp has a AUDIO OUT connector.
So everything (volume, channels, bass, treble) is controllable from my pre-amp.
Anything i play from there can be recorded on my pc.

Check if your amplifier has this Audio out option.. Or buy a simple pre-amp.
Or like hogster said, try a simple mixer and use the audio out from there. (same thing)

Good Luck!