disconny
01-07-2008, 07:49 PM
i really miss the free leech during christmas time :(
why must stuff come out now worth downloading? :(

fOrUmAs
01-07-2008, 07:53 PM

well its not up to trackers when will some movie,game or anything be released,also there was pretty much good torrent to download when sites have freeleech on holidays and also somesite still have freeleech:)

Crutavv
01-07-2008, 07:58 PM
ratio is fair!
if you want something , you have to give something...

Emperator
01-07-2008, 08:02 PM

I agree, ratio system is obsolete, trackers should only care Hit and runners

yayyyyyy
01-07-2008, 08:03 PM

and have a mininum bw for entrance (100mbit up? 1 gbit up? you name it) :)

SgtMajor
01-07-2008, 08:03 PM
Yup, freeleech should be permanent, ratios suck.

Promotions, staff positions, invites, access to site info etc etc etc should be given to those that give back though, so if you leech you get no benefits except the file, if you share you get all the benefits the site offers.

elcapitan
01-07-2008, 08:11 PM

Promotions, staff positions, invites, access to site info etc etc etc should be given to those that give back though, so if you leech you get no benefits except the file, if you share you get all the benefits the site offers.

I think most average users only want the file but if they go with freeleech, if any of those average users would ever want something from the site, promotion, invite, etc., they would of have already dug quite a deep hole in the ratio pool and most likely not be able to come back to 1:1

lostdemon
01-07-2008, 08:13 PM
Ratios do suck but if every site were freeleech then many people with private trackers would do what they do now with public trackers which is leech and go leaving hardly any seeders and the download speeds would drastically decrease. People would actually start turning off their computers more often because they wouldn't have to leave them on day and night anymore.

Emperator
01-07-2008, 08:17 PM

nooooooooo, private trackers will become mininova.. ;)

just let the people leech and if they run with the file, ban them

SgtMajor
01-07-2008, 08:19 PM

I think most average users only want the file but if they go with freeleech, if any of those average users would ever want something from the site, promotion, invite, etc., they would of have already dug quite a deep hole in the ratio pool and most likely not be able to come back to 1:1

All things are easy to overcome if you put your mind to it.

It's all about choice, if you wish to participate in what each site has to offer, then give back what you take, if all you want is the file, then fine.

Just make sure when you make your choice, you make the right choice, just as there are those that H&R, there are just as many overseeders, it balances out quite well if you do the maths, so the overseeders can feed the H&R all day for me :)

lukee
01-07-2008, 08:23 PM
ratio system is stupid.

i though it would be better to have something like: "you uploaded more than 30GB this month, you now have freeleech for 4 days, you seeding X torrents for 1 week, you now get 6GB of upload credit" etc.. a reward system.

i like the "bitz" system (on bitHQ) where you gain bitz and you can trade them in for MB's. i got 10GB of upload credit cause of the bitz i got by seeding. its great :)

Tokeman
01-07-2008, 09:01 PM
I think ftn has it right. No global ratio, only upload. But on individual torrents, you can see your ratio, and seed time to find hit and runners. They do not seem to have any issues keeping seeders...

Defy
01-07-2008, 09:11 PM
Unfortunately, if there was no ratio system implemented on torrent sites, too many people would H&R and never seed back.

Cheffy
01-07-2008, 09:21 PM
Removing the ratio is possible, but only for some servers.
On other servers it would only end up with tons of hit and runners.
Imagne TL or revett going freeleech.

Emperator
01-07-2008, 09:27 PM
I thought is was only necessary a new script that detects H&R

rvt opinion would be great.

disconny
01-07-2008, 09:54 PM
I got a complex idea, but hear me out:
What would happen f your ratio determined seeding time instead of your connection speed. 0.2 ratio = seed for 14 days 0.3 = 13 days, and so on. If you don't seed to this time requirement, your stats are counted and change your ratio, if you do seed the time req, your stats are either counted at 1:1 for UL/DL or just not counted at all. So like, if you get an old file, you can seed for awhile, without fear of lowered ratio.

The thing is that UL/DL speeds for people aren't usually symmetrical, and then people can't d/l what they want until FL.

stoi
01-07-2008, 09:58 PM
well i suggested this on Blackcats months ago, get rid of ratio, and just have the hit and runs but you still need to seed over 0.8 even if its with SP. (with the SP mod we dont realy need ratio)

I got shot down in flames though over it with some of the other staff, so i never pursued it any further (it did get very heated let me tell you)

whiteboy
01-07-2008, 09:59 PM
I dont see a whole huge difference with freeleech or without it. You still have to seed back. Is it that your ratio is that close to 1:1 that your scared to grab stuff?

It cant be that hard to create some decent buffers.

fatcat69
01-07-2008, 10:00 PM
if you hate ratio, then use newsgroups lol

SgtMajor
01-07-2008, 10:01 PM
if you hate ratio, then use newsgroups lol

If you know me, you know that I do! :)

I only use torrents when I can't find it on NGs.

buggyfresh
01-07-2008, 10:07 PM

ratio is fair!

I'm sure this was posted in a fit of pique! Without ratio there would only be chaos.

magushun
01-07-2008, 10:08 PM
trackers without ratio only work cos ppl trust each other there

messi30
01-07-2008, 10:09 PM
I like system ratio of BCG. All trackers must it same way.

volkan_1985
01-07-2008, 10:29 PM
ratio is fair!

I'm sure this was posted in a fit of pique! Without ratio there would only be chaos.
:yup:
With bonus to seeding time :)

t0mmy
01-08-2008, 02:01 AM
i like the ratio system, keeps everything balanced in a way, well for everyone except for those few users who dont seed back..

ibnahmed
01-08-2008, 02:59 AM
i think ratios are not that bad, they just need to look a bit better

if anyone remembers oink, then he might know what i am talking about
oink applied a sensible ratio system (in my opinion) and cared less about hit an run as long as u have a good ratio which is acceptable in my opinion.

their torrents stayed alive for ages and u can download them at decent speeds.

try any other torrent site, old torrents, speeds killing slow, FTN is a good example.

what helped oink also is their wide user DB and their cheating detection scripts witch where excellent.

so ratios are not bad at all,

oink, come on and see how crap other trackers are. :(

Dark Archon
01-08-2008, 03:08 AM
i only got to use the freeleech at SCC...man i missed quite a lot of Freeleech as well.

vinhkhang01
01-08-2008, 03:15 AM
For Free Leech, it does helps if you're new to the site because you want to build a little buffer before you download big file or packs. Once you have built a little buffer, it shouldn't be hard to use that site as long as you try to seed until it breaks. Even if you get .3 or .5 in return, you still be ok with your global ratio at least 1:1 if you have a buffer on it.

TP635
01-08-2008, 04:53 AM
If the main reason why people seed is to get a good buffer, then many old and rare torrent are going to die. Some form of reward need to be given to people who help seed those old files. A seeding bonus system that take this into account should help keep those older torrents alive.

crackerjack
01-08-2008, 05:48 AM
Ratio keeps people honest and weeds out the freeloaders. Only those who keep a good ratio deserve freeleech.

pandabear
01-08-2008, 05:59 AM
I dislike ratios a lot. Thats why i joined ftn.

crackerjack
01-08-2008, 06:13 AM
I dislike ratios a lot. Thats why i joined ftn.

I've been brainwashed into the world of ratios. you can save me, with an FTN :w00t:

lostdemon
01-08-2008, 06:19 AM
You and hundreds of others in here want an invite there crackerjack.
I think you'll be brainwashed a long time

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d27/darksideofthedoors/zoolander.jpg

FatBob
01-08-2008, 06:25 AM
ratio is an important thing in non 0day trackers

old stuff dies very soon without ratios

bikernin
01-08-2008, 09:23 AM
ratios is what has kept many a torrent site alive. it brings discipline to users. however, the new systems in some trackers such as iTS and FTN are also extremely effective and i can see more trackers adopting such a system. especially for users like me with a slow home connection, ratios can be hard to keep and such systems are a real bonus.

GhostRetired19
01-08-2008, 10:38 AM
ratio is fair!

:thumbsup:

zxion
01-08-2008, 11:00 AM
I love ratios !!!!!!!!!!

fOrUmAs
01-08-2008, 11:37 AM
i think ratio is good idea for now

also i think in future ratio will be gone on most sites

BlackMan
01-08-2008, 11:57 AM
Ratio he is a good idea, a level of the page is holding it, private trackers after all are basing on ratio, thanks to that there are good speeds!

LordS
01-08-2008, 12:34 PM
Ratio = Keeps everyone in line.

I'm on a 128kbps upload speed, and I can keep a ratio so I don't care who you are. U can too.

symphonyx
01-08-2008, 12:47 PM
Ratio requirements is what make private trackers good... What would it be if everything was free leech? Slow speeds, bad community... And why would private trackers exist?

SiNa
01-08-2008, 12:47 PM

then how does the public trackers live? they have old stuff with a lot of seeders. they dont have any ratio

as long as the tracker is private, with fast uploaders, with the good users that we have today and a ratio rule similar to ftn then you will get fast speeds on the torrents

symphonyx
01-08-2008, 12:51 PM

then how does the public trackers live? they have old stuff with a lot of seeders. they dont have any ratio

They live because of leechers, and because old stuff is hard to find on private trackers (most of them are 0days)

No wonder why public trackers have awful speeds, viruses and no community...

Jericho
01-08-2008, 01:39 PM
Well on a tracker that has a small userbase,ratio woudn't be neccesery. Ppl woud seed to help other get the file, not everyone is a ratio whore.

kaffeine
01-08-2008, 05:09 PM
As long as you give back 1:1 for each file you leech (or have the torrent to seed a fair amount of time for those old torrents where it's hard to seed back), then I don't see the point for a global ratio.

The important thing is that H&R are punished, and try to keep the torrent alive as much as possible (that's why those trackers with no-ratio/bonus for seeding time have the best system imo.

aysomc
01-08-2008, 05:15 PM
Ratio requirements is what make private trackers good... What would it be if everything was free leech? Slow speeds, bad community... And why would private trackers exist?

hmmmm, i think they call it FTN. an amazing site with great speeds and a very strong community....so you couldnt be more wrong, nt though.

danio
01-08-2008, 05:22 PM
I don't think that the traditional ratio system is needed anywhere. That doesn't mean i think it should be free leech. Like most of us know, there are examples of torrentsites with other solutions. For example a system that requires a 1:1 individual torrent ratio OR a minimum period of seed time on that torrent. This means that you can grab torrents that has no leechers without risking to screw up your ratio. At the same time, if you can't manage 1:1 ratio you will have to seed the torrent for that period of time before you can close it. In other words, not the same as free leech.

EDIT: Sure, there are solutions where you keep the total ratio that i think is good aswell. Those where you get bonus points for seeding time, which you can use to buy upload credits, or reduce the download count.

stitched
01-08-2008, 05:29 PM

They live because of leechers, and because old stuff is hard to find on private trackers (most of them are 0days)

have you ever used public trackers.....yes the speeds are awfull....but they have a lot better community then most of the private trackers....and there has never been a virus ,unless some one like you would upload it...with all your "private tracker is way better then public tracker bull sh*t".
i just hate this kind of talk...if u dont know about something dont say bad things about it .

amreng
01-08-2008, 05:34 PM
i think ratio is important thing to keep privatre communities alive

Tokeman
01-08-2008, 05:50 PM

have you ever used public trackers.....yes the speeds are awfull....but they have a lot better community then most of the private trackers....and there has never been a virus ,unless some one like you would upload it...with all your "private tracker is way better then public tracker bull sh*t".
i just hate this kind of talk...if u dont know about something dont say bad things about it .

I have indeed recieved virii from public trackers. Check out how many different uploads there are for games and cracks for apps/games. Start dling all of those and tell me how long you will last without an AV.

stitched
01-08-2008, 06:00 PM
I have indeed recieved virii from public trackers. Check out how many different uploads there are for games and cracks for apps/games. Start dling all of those and tell me how long you will last without an AV.

when i started using torrents i use public torrents (the pirate bay)for 1 month...downloaded about 10-20 gb movie,and a few appilcations..and also i downloaded this game called "metal fatigue"[i had been looking for this game for an eternity].. i never found any virus.....may be some times shit happens like everything is perfect with private trackers...that doesnt mean you can generalize the whole statement about public tracker ..its just the attitude of the people who use it, if only people would upload private trackers with the same honesty on public trackers speeds would be different that doesnt mean you blame any particular public torrent..and also how often we find something on public torrents which we cant find on any other private torrents,i am thankfull for those public torrents being there and i will do whatever little i can to contribute to the communtiy...all though i might downlaod from private torrents because of better speeds my loyality is towards public torrents FOREVER!!!

Tokeman
01-08-2008, 06:24 PM
that doesnt mean you can generalize the whole statement about public tracker ..

....and there has never been a virus ,unless some one like you would upload it....

Sounds like your the one generalizing, I simply just answered your question as asked, yes i've used public trackers, and yes I've recieved virii. I never generalized anything, perhaps you mis-read.

stoi
01-08-2008, 06:40 PM
Public trackers have better community, not true for every public tracker, and not true for i would say 99.9% of them.

Remember ISO hunt, Mininova, btjunkie, are not Public trackers they are torrent indexing sites, a totally different thing.

Blackcats used to be public. without those link sites, the tracker would have been dead (no seeders or leechers) with those sites, the seeders/leechers were heaving, but the community was dead.

Most people never look at the announce on a torrent unless they have to (Private torrent) so I upload them to mininova, seeds/leech go into 1000`s within hours, but no one actually comes to the site because they dont even know Blackcats exists, they think its a mininova torrent.

that is the real drawback with these link sites, public trackers very very rarely get any visitors compared to Private trackers. also ratio doesnt exist, and i would say 90% of people that use public trackers hit and run badly. that also becomes true when a private tracker opens the doors, uploads nulled torrents onto mininova etc, gets 20,000 new members, withing a week, those 15-18,000 of those have been banned for low ratio.

like i said, ive run both. and private is definately the way to go.

Shibathedog
01-08-2008, 07:04 PM

and have a mininum bw for entrance (100mbit up? 1 gbit up? you name it) :)

What does that do to people in the US though where a "Business Class" connection (best offered around here and its like 60 bucks a month) is only 20mbit down 1.5mbit up?

I think Ratios should be displayed, but not used to ban/restrict. Users should be able to make their own wise decisions based on ratios. For instance, a 10mb file with 150 seeders and 5 peers probably doesn't need to be seeded after you download. Then again, that 150 seeders might not build up in the first place without ratio rules enforced.

See the main problem with bittorent is peoples damn greediness. It's based heavily on honesty/good will. Which is why I prefer sites with good communities to those with billions of files. They usually overlook things like this to a certain extent. (They usually require you to keep something like a .8 ratio, come on now that really isn't hard :/) My ratio is 3,162.796 on a certain site right now. But thats because I leave my computer on constantly.

stitched
01-08-2008, 07:28 PM

No wonder why public trackers have awful speeds, viruses and no community.. .

have you ever used public trackers.....yes the speeds are awfull....but they have a lot better community then most of the private trackers....and there has never been a virus ,unless some one like you would upload it..(i said that because u seem to hate public trackers,and y would any one otherwise want to upload a virus,then again....my statement also implies "being infected by a virus is entirely possible).with all your "private tracker is way better then public tracker bull sh*t".

here is the quote^^ and may be it will help you judge who was generalising...i have even writen an explanation in brackets...
...i was talking bout about the previous post which was judgemental...i never said you generalised anything,the you i was refering to was "public tracker haters,in general" forgive me for having not mentioned it earlier@TOKEMAN

well anyways forget about it.. i dont know know much...i have never run a public or private tracker, far from it still looking to become member of a few trackers....i will just take stoi's word for it...but still putting down a public tracker was totally uncalled for....i a big fan of the pirate bay (public tracker)and i stand up for things i care

stoi
01-08-2008, 08:02 PM
well the piratebay is not the "norm" when it comes to public trackers, i meant those trackers that are run from users pcs, that believe it or not make up 99% of public trackers.

no one ever comes to them (some do yeah but not many) something like TPB though is that well known, people go there instead of Mininova etc to get what they want.

lets just say the TPB is an anomoly when it comes to trackers, it has the torrents and peers of a public tracker, but the community of a very big private tracker.

briand5379
01-09-2008, 04:47 AM
Kind of reminds me of demonoid.

I definitely think more and more trackers should move to seed time over ratio. If I seed something for 32 days and have only developed a ratio of 0.5 there's something wrong with that. I definitely like what BCG does with the seed points its some of the best stuff out there as your given upload as a reward for seeding the proper amount of time and it doesn't have to be done all at once. Other sites do plain seed time which works too.

1000possibleclaws
01-09-2008, 05:45 AM

if you hate ratio, join A-L. they ask you to seed for a certain period to avoid hit and runs, but you don't necassarily need to maintain a good ratio. seed bonuses are another way of fighting 'ratio', but instead of getting rid of the 1.1 rule or whatever, you can 'buy' ratio with seed times

sites i can think of that have some form of this:

TTi
Kray
Rockbox
A-L
Libble
STM
ST

so i guess use those trackers if you hate ratio. i like this extra 'bonus', but personally i still try and seed to at the very least 1.1, unless there way more seeders than leechers, so i can save upload for my torrents that need it

Adman65
01-09-2008, 10:04 AM
comments about virii: if you need anti virus software, learn about protecting yourself. I haven't used an AV in about 4 years and used public trackers everyday for everything. Never got a single bad file.

Adman65
01-09-2008, 10:04 AM
comments about virii: if you need anti virus software, learn about protecting yourself. I haven't used an AV in about 4 years and used public trackers everyday for everything. Never got a single bad file.