Skiz
01-08-2008, 04:37 AM
Still 3:00 to go, but it's over.

Happy to see it.

Congrats all you coon-asses. :P

DefX
01-08-2008, 05:18 AM
Never liked the Buckeyes since ever so I suppose this woo hoo! for me

I can't recall the last time a national champ had two losses...

Skiz
01-08-2008, 05:20 AM
That's because there's never been one. :P

DefX
01-08-2008, 05:24 AM
No shit? Not even in the 30's? I figure there has to be one or two in that era..

Skiz
01-08-2008, 05:28 AM
Not under the current system at least.

The BCS has only been around since '98.

The other "national champions" of years prior, never played a game to determine that status.

snowultra
01-08-2008, 07:18 AM
i was hoping lsu won it, only because they havent been known as a powerhouse team. until this year.
ohio state, 2 years --2 losses. there turning into buffalo. they make it the big game and lose.

DefX
01-08-2008, 07:25 AM
Not under the current system at least.

The BCS has only been around since '98.

The other "national champions" of years prior, never played a game to determine that status.

I'm aware of that of course. Would be interesting to find out who the voters would've voted national champs if we're still in the pre BCS era seeing the many no. 2 seeds who lost this year while sitting on that spot.

Skiz
01-08-2008, 07:44 AM
i was hoping lsu won it, only because they havent been known as a powerhouse team. until this year.
ohio state, 2 years --2 losses. there turning into buffalo. they make it the big game and lose.

You haven't been paying much attention. :ermm:

LSU has consistently finished as a top team in the past several years and this being their second National Championship in the past four.

Outside of those two titles, they've won or played in at least three BCS Bowl games that I can recall in that run. That makes them the dominant force in the SEC and unarguably a major competitor in NCAA football.

Busyman™
01-08-2008, 07:49 PM

You haven't been paying much attention. :ermm:

LSU has consistently finished as a top team in the past several years and this being their second National Championship in the past four.

Outside of those two titles, they've won or played in at least three BCS Bowl games that I can recall in that run. That makes them the dominant force in the SEC and unarguably a major competitor in NCAA football.

Exactly.

They won the Sugar Bowl last year by crushing Notre Dame by transposed numbers (also won in '02), won the BCS title this year and '04 (which was also at the Sugar Bowl), and were conference champions 3 times since '01.

That is the single most dominant team since the new millenium.

maebach
01-08-2008, 09:08 PM
it was over after the OSU guy hit the punter.

j2k4
01-09-2008, 01:01 AM
The BCS sucks pig nuts.

The Buckeyes sucked worse than LSU, but that's about all that could be deduced from that game.

A fucked-up year for college ball, and I think two losses should have disqualified LSU.

I'd like to have seen Georgia or USC play, rather than LSU...much less Ohio State.

A crap year, all around.

Why should we be stuck with a system that gets it right one year out of five (or more)?

Busyman™
01-09-2008, 02:24 AM
The BCS sucks pig nuts.

The Buckeyes sucked worse than LSU, but that's about all that could be deduced from that game.

A fucked-up year for college ball, and I think two losses should have disqualified LSU.

I'd like to have seen Georgia or USC play, rather than LSU...much less Ohio State.

A crap year, all around.

Why should we be stuck with a system that gets it right one year out of five (or more)?

Agreed.

What was USC's and Georgia's record?

maebach
01-09-2008, 03:05 AM
I wanted to see Oregon and WVU. Both have great running game.

Skiz
01-09-2008, 05:19 AM
The BCS sucks pig nuts.

A crap year, all around.

LSU deserved to be there. Period.

They beat Auburn, Alabama, Tennessee and defending national champs Florida. And think about the two loses they did have - Kentucky and Arkansas and both were triple overtime loses.

As for USC, well they lost to measly Stanford.... at home. How could a team with a loss like that be given possible National Champion status?

Georgia is another story altogether. I would have a hard time justifying any argument to keep them out of the "big one". Those guys are tough.

Busyman™
01-09-2008, 07:26 PM
The BCS sucks pig nuts.

A crap year, all around.

LSU deserved to be there. Period.

They beat Auburn, Alabama, Tennessee and defending national champs Florida. And think about the two loses they did have - Kentucky and Arkansas and both were triple overtime loses.

As for USC, well they lost to measly Stanford.... at home. How could a team with a loss like that be given possible National Champion status?

Georgia is another story altogether. I would have a hard time justifying any argument to keep them out of the "big one". Those guys are tough.

Damn that's right! I forgot about the loss to Stanford!:frusty:

I think they also lost to Oregon.

I still think the system needs to be changed.

j2k4
01-09-2008, 10:04 PM

That's the bottom line...as far as this season goes, however, there were no really dominant teams anywhere in the country (as I said, a crap year), BUT:

THE BCS IS DUH-UH-UH-UH-UMB.

Christ, it doesn't even make sense from a TV revenue standpoint, which consideration, as we all know, carries the day schedule-wise.

The BCS is why certain terms (CLUSTERFUCK comes to mind) were invented. :whistling

Busyman™
01-10-2008, 04:11 AM

That's the bottom line...as far as this season goes, however, there were no really dominant teams anywhere in the country (as I said, a crap year), BUT:

Christ, it doesn't even make sense from a TV revenue standpoint, which consideration, as we all know, carries the day schedule-wise.

The BCS is why certain terms (CLUSTERFUCK comes to mind) were invented. :whistling

Agreed but they got LSU right.

j2k4
01-10-2008, 10:03 PM

Agreed but they got LSU right.

Not until LSU beats Georgia.

See what I mean? :whistling

Skiz
01-10-2008, 10:57 PM
The point isn't who'll win, it who deserved to play the game.

j2k4
01-11-2008, 08:22 PM
The point isn't who'll win, it who deserved to play the game.

That is my point.

The system will never quell the typical partisan arguments, but could go much further toward satisfying the objective ones.

After all, the point is to draw viewership to the spectacle of a great game so as to sell adverts - if there is no compelling reason to watch, then what is a football fan to do? :whistling

WhiteWizard20
01-13-2008, 01:53 AM
Congrats to LSU. I don't like Ohio State anyways.