PDA

View Full Version : do you download just to upload?

Polarbear
01-08-2008, 06:32 PM
- how much of the content you download from trackers do you actually watch/listen to/use/play?

- do you prefer to download as much as possible or upload as much as possible?

- why?

Diiyad
01-08-2008, 06:34 PM
I usually download a lot of content that I use, but I also upload the torrents I download, and seed new releases to keep my ratio up.

MasterP
01-08-2008, 06:40 PM
I usually download torents i am gonna use..........but sometimes i download some only to keep my ratio up

NOLF
01-08-2008, 06:43 PM
Well some times, I download if I know a torrent will be very popular, just to fill up the buffer. But most of the times I download the stuff I need!

Shibathedog
01-08-2008, 06:51 PM
I usually just download stuff I'm actually going to use/watch/listen to but then I seed the hell out of it.

RoSsoNeRI
01-08-2008, 06:54 PM
Actually to be honest, yeah. At times I just download just to stay active even if I don't need that specific file

For eg. TV shows.....I just grab them cuz they r a good way to get ur ratio up, I don't even watch any of em. Just grab it and seed till u get a 4.0+ ratio on it and then just delete the file(s)

sokrates
01-08-2008, 06:56 PM
i use what i download.. why should i download, if i wouldnt use it?
some games i kind of just leech, bc my computer sucks to hard to play games and i dont really have the time anyways..
i try to keep as many torrents alive as i can, but that isnt much :P

kaffeine
01-08-2008, 07:01 PM
When I first started to use private sites, I used to do a lot of partial seeding and download lots of things that I didn't need, just to keep a good ratio.

Now, I only download things I need.

Cmon
01-08-2008, 07:05 PM
I don't really have that much time to use my download, but sometimes I download for the sake of upload because I don't like it if my upload speed slowing down

I paid the internet so why not using it? :P

IceTee
01-08-2008, 07:08 PM
I don't have a lot of time these days due to exams and everything but I download a lot of stuff to watch it later (mostly movies)

I do download from time to time some DVDRs and some packs (when they're freeleech) just to help bring my ratio up a bit.

fOrUmAs
01-08-2008, 07:09 PM
usually i download torrent that i will use and most what i download are games,but there are times when there is no much games to download than i pick some torrent but never use it like DVD-R

i prefer to upload at least to 1:1 then if i needed more could get to 2 or 3..

but never as much possible

:)

RainRoofer
01-08-2008, 07:26 PM
I dl what I need, what I'm into, what seems interesting for me and thing that are rare and unseen before.

twist off
01-08-2008, 07:59 PM
Well some times, I download if I know a torrent will be very popular, just to fill up the buffer. But most of the times I download the stuff I need!

+1

bossapoelara
01-08-2008, 08:02 PM

+1

+1 :P:P

LoKaLiRi
01-08-2008, 08:03 PM
i download some files > have nice no. of leechers just to upload any amount of GB

just to make my ratio good

SiNa
01-08-2008, 08:11 PM
i use all of the stuff that i download. i never download stuff i dont need to my pc, never.

fsephie
01-08-2008, 08:16 PM
I usually download stuff that I know will seed well to build up some sort of initial buffer and then I just download what I want. Usually I have no problem seeding back to 1 relatively easily.

jr56
01-08-2008, 10:21 PM
I only download stuff i will use.

The only exception is for sites where it's extremely hard to seed, on those sites i will download anything i think will make a buffer.

jam0980tr
01-08-2008, 10:24 PM
I only uploading torrents non stop and sometimes download something nices what i like

sear
01-08-2008, 10:33 PM
When I first join a site I usually try to upload something or grab something I know is going to be popular even if I don't want it just to get a few GB buffer. Once that's done I only download things I want then seed the hell out of them and watch my ratio grow.

DefX
01-08-2008, 10:39 PM
When I first join a site I usually try to upload something or grab something I know is going to be popular even if I don't want it just to get a few GB buffer. Once that's done I only download things I want then seed the hell out of them and watch my ratio grow.

ditto

jam0980tr
01-08-2008, 10:46 PM
I Lov uploading torrents non stop, i only download sometimes not to much when it comes to downloading am more of a ftp person now

C-mos
01-08-2008, 10:51 PM
sometimes :O lol :)

heis
01-08-2008, 11:06 PM

ditto
and we have a threesome :happy:

Night0wl
01-08-2008, 11:09 PM
I can't say I do much downloading just to get upload, but I do it on occasion. Most of the time I do download stuff I don't really want it's because I need to download something to prevent being deleted for inactivity.

This is off course never a problem on the sites I use more than the others.

Defy
01-08-2008, 11:19 PM
99% of the material I download from torrent sites are movies/music/apps/etc. that I want/will use. The only time I splurge would be during a free leech period, and even then most of what I acquire are things I want for personal use anyways. :)

t0mmy
01-08-2008, 11:39 PM
i only download to upload DVDRs and wii games because i know i have no use for them, yet they are popular, because i dont own a wii, nor do i bother burning movies onto dvds, i download to watch everything else, like xvid movies, tv shows :)

Daniel
01-09-2008, 12:02 AM
- how much of the content you download from trackers do you actually watch/listen to/use/play?
The only thing I download unfiltered via RSS are small 0day apps and I probably use 1 out of 100 while the rest is deleted without ever acknowledging it. That's more for my own convenience than for ratio building or collectors purposes - the many irregular updates of all kinds of software is hard to keep up with.
On other topics like ebooks, music, movies or games I only download what I really plan on using. It may not always turn out that way (ie downloading a dvdrip only to delete it when a hd-rip comes along) but I'm no collector of stuff I have no use for, hence I don't download it.

My download volume is plenty ... but limited to bittorrent, I upload more than I download and for large parts of the day with the full capacity too. Especially since I've started taking the largest stuff from the Usenet, my ratios on several trackers have been skyrocketing because I download much less in volume.

- why?
Because I'm a caring person? :naughty: Just kidding, but how about you Polarbear?

JohnDoe
01-09-2008, 12:27 AM
I download staff that i need, but sometime I use partial seeding to keep ratio up.

Cheffy
01-09-2008, 12:46 AM
When i get a new site, and have a box can download stuff i dont need to buffer my account. But thats only for new accounts or accounts that needs a buffer.

And i try to keep an rather even ratio between upload and download. But i also like to have a new buffer on most sites around 100gb

kokas
01-09-2008, 12:49 AM
Sometimes i download just for seeding, but most of the times i use what i download.

angryghost
01-09-2008, 01:47 AM
I dont really download anything that i cannot use. My HD space aint that great so including the space to rar them downloading things that are no use to me is really useless. However i could understand why people would do it.

WhiteWizard20
01-09-2008, 01:48 AM
I download the popular files and seed those as long as I can to boost my ratio.
I also download files I want and seed those till I get a 1.5 ratio.
I prefer to download only what I want and I prefer to upload more over downloading
I want to upload more so I can gain invites from the trackers I'm on and give those invites away for free here so I can get invitations to other top trackers.

bornwithnoname
01-09-2008, 01:57 AM
I do both, but I am less likely to do download just to upload at a site that I can easily maintain a good ratio at.

ijc64
01-09-2008, 02:18 AM
whenever i get into a new site i just download freeleech stuff for the first couple days to pump my ratio and then when i download something i want, i try to upload at least 2x

dineshreddy
01-09-2008, 02:25 AM
yes sometimes

lukee
01-09-2008, 02:27 AM
download what i want, not what i don't want.

Zaxx
01-09-2008, 02:34 AM
ditto

+1...dare I say foursome? :O

sear
01-09-2008, 03:23 AM

+1...dare I say foursome? :O

you people are sick :kiss:

Nemrod
01-09-2008, 03:30 AM
Iīm not a big downloader.
I grab relatively few releases, DVDr mostly and TV episodes. I donīt download for downloading.
I share a lot, as much as I can, in every tracker I am I have ratios above 4 or 5. And I donīt download anything from a tracker until I have a good buffer, by taking advantage of freeleechs or by sharing a .torrent previously downloaded from other site.
Why?, I donīt know... I guess I donīt like the anxiety produced by ratio issues, warnings or have my account in jeopardy.... I donīt like to have my upload capacity useless, and the most important because Iīm a filesharing true believer.

pbjabba
01-09-2008, 03:36 AM
Well during freeleech i dl stuff i don't really want just to seed it back. I don't do it often though coz i'm running out of HD space :(

teamlam
01-09-2008, 03:37 AM
i do especially on what and waffles...so few leechers on the music i like...i have to dl music with high leechers so i can seed back..ahha.

external hd ftw!

lostdemon
01-09-2008, 03:50 AM
I only download what I know myself or my girlfriend will use/watch.
Not a big fan of downloading something I know won't use and leaving my computer on day and night to seed just to erase it days or weeks later.

briand5379
01-09-2008, 04:26 AM
I download for means of both buffering my account and to watch. It's good to buffer the account when your not looking for things cause you never know when you might find something good you want that's large like a pack or something.

soggy
01-09-2008, 04:45 AM
Im always on the look out for popular files (TV, Music etc) to buffer my ratio, but also for my personal needs - always good to get best of both worlds :)

TP635
01-09-2008, 05:30 AM
depending on the tracker; trackers with good leech; I download files that I need. I have no problem seeding them back since I am on 24/7 because of very slow connection.
Trackers with bad or almost no leech: If there is seeding bonus points Then I will download only things that I need or want. If there is no seed bonus system I look for free leech torrent to download first just to built up some buffer.

1000possibleclaws
01-09-2008, 05:32 AM
if its freeleech, I'll download just to upload. also, when i first join a tracker I'll download to upload, but once I'm established, I'm not gonna download something I don't want.. I'll just seed everything I've already downloaded..

ChristoZed
01-09-2008, 05:35 AM
Same!!!!

ea007
01-09-2008, 07:06 AM
i upload alot on rare files.

ToxicMonk
01-09-2008, 07:13 AM
I download to upload when i want to fix my ratio.

sugam
01-09-2008, 07:14 AM
Most of the files I download for using them. Maybe for friends or family. I rarely leech only for uploading purpose.

FatBob
01-09-2008, 07:26 AM
i dont download materials that i dont use , its a waste of time and bandwidth .

i know some people do this to increase their ratio.

anyway i only download what i want , and yea i can seed that 6 months+

Polarbear
01-09-2008, 07:38 AM
imagine a hard to seed, high ranked tracker would make a big file (15gb) that contains nothing, just data that reservates disk space (a dummy) and put in on freeleech. empty rare files.

i'm convinced there would be enough people who download it, if it buffers their accounts.

if it improves ratio, people tend to download anything. no matter wether it's a pack of old movies you've already seen a hundred times, i-doser noise, or big games that you never play and delete when uploaded enough.

i would like to see a tracker upload an official so called Freeleech.Ratio.Booster.Pack-NOT* that just contains data trash.

do you think people will download it? i do. :)

* NOT - Name Of Tracker

That1Guy
01-09-2008, 07:46 AM
imagine a hard to seed, high ranked tracker would make a big file (15gb) that contains nothing, just data that reservates disk space (a dummy) and put in on freeleech. empty rare files.

i'm convinced there would be enough people who download it, if it buffers their accounts.

if it improves ratio, people tend to download anything. no matter wether it's a pack of old movies you've already seen a hundred times, i-doser noise, or big games that you never play and delete when uploaded enough.

i would like to see a tracker upload an official so called Freeleech.Ratio.Booster.Pack-NOT* that just contains data trash.

* NOT - Name Of Tracker

Ive thought of that...A "Download me to gain ratio" torrent
Edit: maybe delete the torrent every week or so to help from over-seeding

mera
01-09-2008, 08:05 AM
I usually download the stuff I need and seed it for my ratio but if I am new to a site then I seek out popular torrents and download them or upload my own where its allowed.

sense
01-09-2008, 08:07 AM

* NOT - Name Of Tracker

:lol: I would love to see this done as well just to see how many people jump on it as well as how many people overseed and by how much.

When it comes to my download/upload habits I download only what I want/plan to watch and/or listen to. I can't even remember a time where I downloaded something just for upload sake. I avoided many packs over the holiday as I had no interest in them.

I also seed for long periods (months usually) so I have no trouble in getting my ratio to 1:1. When you seed for long periods you no longer have to jump on torrents the instant they hit the tracker.

buggyfresh
01-09-2008, 09:41 AM

- why?

Never used to... used to download what I want AND seed/upload what I liked (which always had "subscribers") and it always worked out. Now...starting over is hard so I find myself doing a bit of the 2nd option (downloading just so I can seed), but I still prefer to download only what I want and seed that as needed.

EDIT: Biggest problem is I have a 30 GB laptop hard drive (circa 2004) so seeding for weeks or months is not usually an option as teh drive gets filled quite easily...gotta get a backup drive and keep it connected is what (that works for DC++, but never tried torrenting from an external)!

fstokebanget
01-09-2008, 03:14 PM
I use just about 20-30% of my seedbox download, the rest, I use them only to seed

Boringdays
01-09-2008, 06:06 PM
I constantly grab stuff I don't need just to seed it. At BCG I DL'd halo 3 when it came out and I don't even have a 360.

Tokeman
01-09-2008, 06:09 PM
LoL @ the garbage ratio pack, what an idea!

I have downloaded a few things that I did not actually want, well partially downloaded to help build ratio. But this was for ScT, and I only did it because everyone kept saying how hard it was to seed there. As soon as I realised that all those people were full of crap, I went back to only dling what I wanted again.

Polarbear
01-09-2008, 06:52 PM
I use just about 20-30% of my seedbox download, the rest, I use them only to seed

I constantly grab stuff I don't need just to seed it. At BCG I DL'd halo 3 when it came out and I don't even have a 360.

so you would have also seeded the Freeleech.Ratio.Booster.Pack-NOT if it had leecher? :lol:

escuoop
01-09-2008, 07:22 PM
usually I download something I need.

sometimes you don't have a choice so i just download to upload and stay alive

MuFuukan R
01-09-2008, 08:31 PM
I dunno if its too late for some of you but a little FYI, i noticed across many scene trackers that have Hellgate.Londong-VITALITY the leechers seem endless for some reason? I am averaging about 95gb uploaded per tracker that I am seeding to :w00t::w00t::w00t:, and still going strong, sometimes I have to pause uploaded Hellgate.London to do some BitMeTV seeding as it steals all the bandwidth all the time :P

Polarbear
01-09-2008, 08:37 PM
I dunno if its too late for some of you but a little FYI, i noticed across many scene trackers that have Hellgate.Londong-VITALITY the leechers seem endless for some reason? I am averaging about 95gb uploaded per tracker that I am seeding to :w00t::w00t::w00t:, and still going strong, sometimes I have to pause uploaded Hellgate.London to do some BitMeTV seeding as it steals all the bandwidth all the time :P

let me guess, you never played the game, did you?

Ikslej
01-09-2008, 08:38 PM
For the most part I only download stuff I need but on trackers where it's harder to keep a good ratio I will download stuff just to seed.

MuFuukan R
01-09-2008, 08:38 PM
Actually I never did up until 2 days ago and I have had it since scene release ;P Decided to check it out since its been my little upload whore for so long lol

kadake
01-09-2008, 09:20 PM
My upload bandwidth is always at its max , day and night , download here and there when i find stuff i want

Actatoi
01-09-2008, 10:09 PM
95% of what I download I "use" atleast one time.