PDA

View Full Version : Disabling Inactive A/c's.. What u think ??

rocky1234
01-09-2008, 11:45 AM
Most of the Torrent Websites disable Accounts if they are not used for specified number of days. What do you think about it ???

According to me it should not be there as one cannot spend his entire life on internet worrying about his accounts or atleast the accounts of Power users should be safe..

Any comments...

stoi
01-09-2008, 11:48 AM
I can only speak for BCG, but ours is 60 days unparked, 90 days parked.

So if you cant sign in for 2-3 months, then do you realy want to be a member, or deserve to be for that matter.

sleepyy
01-09-2008, 11:50 AM
Good idea they have the system inplace if you don't use the account then your takeing up a space for somebody who wants to use the site if you can't download at least one thing per month then it shows your lack of interest in the site you lose the account shit happens

rocky1234
01-09-2008, 11:55 AM
I agree to that but think Oink had such a system where Power User accounts were not deleted so was Oink doing the wrong stuff...

sleepyy
01-09-2008, 12:01 PM
I agree to that but think Oink had such a system where Power User accounts were not deleted so was Oink doing the wrong stuff...

There's no right or wrong answer it's how the site owners want it if the person does not like well theres not much they can do about it:dabs: the database would build and build and it would get rather confusing with popular sites. i like the system power user's don't get removed but to be a power user now days is really simple it can be done in a matter of days maybe for people that hit 500gig or so then it would it ideal most sites would have to change their criteria/requierments.

LoKaLiRi
01-09-2008, 12:01 PM
Good idea they have the system inplace if you don't use the account then your takeing up a space for somebody who wants to use the site if you can't download at least one thing per month then it shows your lack of interest in the site you lose the account shit happens

+1 :yup:

you are right mate

angryghost
01-09-2008, 12:03 PM

There's no right or wrong answer it's how the site owners want it if the person does not like well theres not much they can do about it:dabs: the database would build and build and it would get rather confusing with popular sites. i like the system power user's don't get removed but to be a power user now days is really simple it can be done in a matter of days maybe for people that hit 500gig or so then it would it ideal

Agreed, its really up to the site, but in my opinion of a user hasnt been active for a long while they really do not deserve the membership to the site.

fOrUmAs
01-09-2008, 12:05 PM
Most of the Torrent Websites disable Accounts if they are not used for specified number of days. What do you think about it ???

I think its is very good idea,most site have 40 days until your acc get disable for inactive.

also why keeping that acc if u dont want to use it and maybe some other member really want to get in that site but he cant since it full of inactive users

According to me it should not be there as one cannot spend his entire life on internet worrying about his accounts or atleast the accounts of Power users should be safe..

lol spend his entire life?? is it to hard to join if u cant better at least once in one or two week? i think 40 or some sites have even 60 or more days until u get disabled is a lot of time anyway:)

there is one place that u shoudnt worry abouth acc get disabled for inactive and that place is Public sites:happy:

Polarbear
01-09-2008, 12:10 PM

Any comments...

if you are a member at a private torrent site and you neither are able to login in once every four weeks nor download anything you should think about deleting the account to make room for another user that really needs it.

i also think that logging into a site every few weeks isn't equal to spending your entire life on the internet.

if somebody chooses to use the internet only once in two month, that's perfectly fine.

but then he could use a tracker that doesn't require a membership, like public trackers.

rocky1234
01-09-2008, 12:12 PM
lol spend his entire life?? is it to hard to join if u cant better at least once in one or two week? i think 40 or some sites have even 60 or more days until u get disabled is a lot of time anyway:)

Agree to that also...

A user logins to a website every 30 days or so and download/upload nothing. Now what good is the user doing to that website...

Or for certain websites where a user has to downlaod/upload something to be termed as active. I blv many users just downlaod/upload a file for the sake of being called as active users there..

Is that doing any good ???

t0mmy
01-09-2008, 12:12 PM
yeah i agree with what Polarbear and sleepyy at the end of the day, if you arent really using your account to its potential, it should be removed to make room for those we really want to use it

rocky1234
01-09-2008, 12:14 PM
if somebody chooses to use the internet only once in two month, that's perfectly fine.

but then he could use a tracker that doesn't require a membership, like public trackers.

Well I'm not sure about all but the best benefit of a private tracker is that files are free from viruses and worms. That makes them most important.

clocktower
01-09-2008, 12:17 PM
well on my site its already in the code inactive accounts after a certain time get deleted on auto :)

Polarbear
01-09-2008, 12:18 PM

Well I'm not sure about all but the best benefit of a private tracker is that files are free from viruses and worms. That makes them most important.

so if private trackers are important to you, log in to keep them active. what's your point?

do you only have internet access every two month???

use them or lose them - pretty easy, ain't it?

sleepyy
01-09-2008, 12:20 PM
I've used public trackers for year's and i still do and 99% of the time i have never encountered any sort of virus maybe adverts and popups from the torrent sites that's all a popular file will not contain any virus because people can always leave comments and warn other's and the chances are by the time you download it , has been scanned 1000s of times with 1000s of different anti virus programs then declared safe for the next person to have.

rocky1234
01-09-2008, 12:23 PM
so if private trackers are important to you, log in to keep them active. what's your point?

do you only have internet access every two month???

use them or lose them - pretty easy, ain't it?

What I'm trying to say is simple. Deleting inactive accounts is Fine. But how can a simple login to a website site makes user active.

Demonoid never deleted accounts still it was the most widely used tracker.

BTW before someone thinks i'm fighting here, nothing like that I'm just trying to get an opinion on that.....

Polarbear
01-09-2008, 12:27 PM
Deleting inactive accounts is Fine.

glad we agree, have a nice day :)

fOrUmAs
01-09-2008, 12:33 PM
A user logins to a website every 30 days or so and download/upload nothing. Now what good is the user doing to that website...

also nothing it is same as inactive users that dont log in for some time
but some sites also have rule if nothing havent been downloaded or uploaded for let say 4weeks they will be disabled to:yup:

Or for certain websites where a user has to downlaod/upload something to be termed as active. I blv many users just downlaod/upload a file for the sake of being called as active users there..

as long he have downloaded something or uploaded he is active users and they are better than inacite who havent downloaded nothing:)

I blv many users just downlaod/upload a file for the sake of being called as active users there

and what is wrong with that??

that is calling active user :D

u dont need to upload or download GB to be active on site,as long u runing few torrent with 5-10-100MB u should be fine:)

Nemrod
01-09-2008, 12:37 PM
If you donīt use it, you donīt need it, let space for who is going to use it.
If for any justified reason you wonīt be able log in for along time, notify staff.
But I agree, inactive accounts must be disabled first and then deleted.

rocky1234
01-09-2008, 12:39 PM
I blv many users just downlaod/upload a file for the sake of being called as active users there

and what is wrong with that??

that is calling active user :D

u dont need to upload or download GB to be active on site,as long u runing few torrent with 5-10-100MB u should be fine:)

Downloading a useless file for the sake of being called a user. Wasting the world's precious bandwidth ..:(

What about having an email notification after 30 days that you have not used your account and if u don't do it, it will be deleted. I believe atleast that can happen..

stoi
01-09-2008, 01:14 PM
there is no perfect way to do this, keep open you have 500,000 members but only 20,000 unique peers, people who are on at least 1 torrent.

we done this when we had 100,000 users, 100,000 peers, there was only 13,000 unique peers on the torrents.

If we do it with dl/ul then most ppl would get deleted, if we do it with forum posts, we would get a lot of spam, or members that cant speak english would get deleted.

even the login in only isnt foolproof, especially with the RSS feeds trackers have.

But we have to prune accounts, having 500,000 users, which i believe if we didnt prune accounts ever we would have easily, but only 60,000 peers and only 8,000 unique peers wouldnt look very good imo.

rocky1234
01-09-2008, 01:18 PM
I agree to you stoi. But before deleting the account I blv the user should be informed about it via e-mail (Like an alert) . If he really doesn't wanna use it he will simply ignore that mail.

I think this can be easily appended into the script..

stoi
01-09-2008, 01:25 PM
But this is in the rules and FAQ of every site, when you sign up you are supposed to read them.

We cant spoon feed everyone the info, if you dont read the rules or FAQ then is that the tracker staffs problem. when you sign up you should know this.

you can always ask the staff if you know you are going to be away for ages.

We have 1 user that was going to prison, we had another that was moving and knew that they wouldnt have the net for over 3 months.

We promoted them to uploader, which is the cut off class (staff as well obviously) for getting deleted due to inactivity, once they came back we demoted them again.

Most staff are not ogres, but if you cant help yourself (by reading the rules etc) then why should we go out of our way to help you.

Cheffy
01-09-2008, 01:38 PM
I think its good.
If you cant log into the site once in a wile you really dont need it do you ?
Collecting trackers is lame and retarded. So if cant manage your accounts you have way to many. And you dont need them all, get purged and make room for a user that might actually use the site.

danio
01-09-2008, 01:41 PM
i agree with stoi, and if you can't login for a long period of time for a certain reason, you can probably sort it out with the staff of your sites.

rocky1234
01-09-2008, 01:43 PM
Have to leave for the time being, will get back on this topic later ...

rocky1234
01-09-2008, 01:43 PM
Before leaving just one more thing stoi if u think that email thing is wrong, just post a vote on ur site and see what's the outcome of that...

I agree that useless accounts should be deleted but sending an email is just equal to asking a user to login once every 30 days or so..

rocky1234
01-09-2008, 01:45 PM
Sorry posted again..

rocky1234
01-09-2008, 01:46 PM
Sorry posted again..

stoi
01-09-2008, 01:47 PM
just had a look on BCG and remember its 60 days for pruning.

I checked members that hadnt been seen for 30 days or more.

3118 accounts

i then checked those "Under" Pu

2549 accounts

so about 600 PU and above have not signed in, but they do have another month to do so.

so its not that many PU and above that may loose their accounts anyway, and im sure that if you have made PU (4 weeks member, 25gig uploaded, 1.50 ratio) then you must think something about the site, and know the ins and outs.

B3hAnch00d
01-09-2008, 02:14 PM
It depends on the tracker really. Some trackers like ours just dont want Inactive members, users who dont login for weeks hardly contribute anything to the site.

Our system bans the users inactive for more thn 2 weeks, and we havent seen any change in activity after getting rid of the inactive users it just makes it easier to manage and pick out bad members.

messi30
01-09-2008, 02:30 PM
I thing that must be like in tranceroute which if you got points (energy) that it has the possibility that the account does not erase or remains inactive time without it erased.

PunX
01-09-2008, 02:32 PM
disable is nice , +1

teamlam
01-09-2008, 04:29 PM

Any comments...

u don't have to spend your entire life on it. all you have to do is visit the website. you don't necessarilty have to dl or ul stuff. if u don't even have time to visit the site( ie check the home page or forums) then u shouldn't be part of the private torrent.

stoi
01-09-2008, 05:19 PM
I dont understand what the hard part is about signing in once every ## days

Make a folder called trackers in your bookmarks, put all the trackers in there, open them all in tabs once a week, sorted, its not that hard.

But if you do not want to sign in for ## days, but you can sign into another tracker every day, then tough if you get deleted.

C-mos
01-09-2008, 05:34 PM
i agree :) if u are inactive why is it necesary that the account should exist:)

Defy
01-09-2008, 07:05 PM
I believe disabling inactive accounts after some time is necessary for the good of the community. If you never use your account, that's one more slot that could be free for someone else's use that will contribute to the site. It's pretty selfish otherwise, if you think about it. Why have access to an account if you're never going to use it, unless it's "just to have it"? Doesn't do anyone any good. :no: