PDA

View Full Version : the fst echo phenomenum

Polarbear
01-09-2008, 12:37 PM
there's one thing i noticed in several threads in the fst bittorrent section.

i find it quite amusing, but sometimes a little weird.

one guy starts a thread with a question.

the answer to his question is "A".

so someone replies to his thread and posts "A".

the guy who asked the question is happy that he got is answer - everything is fine.

now what often follows are up to 20 people posting the exact same answer: "A"

why do people do this? parrots? forum echo? don't they read the thread before posting? :D

t0mmy
01-09-2008, 12:40 PM
i think i just did it but i thought it would be up discussion :( but the worst one has to be those the one answer questions, that dont require any discussion cant really think of any good examples off the top of my atm :o

NOLF
01-09-2008, 12:42 PM
I partly agree with you, in some threads its unnessesary to do what you describe.

But if a user is asking a question and wants comments from other users about a certain issue, how does he know what each user has to say if they are not allowed to have the same opinions as other users.

I do know what you mean, there is a lot of threads where this is not an option!

sleepyy
01-09-2008, 12:46 PM
Everybody likes to have their say to have 2/3 people all confirm the same thing is nice to have for reasureance so that the chances are not just a one off whatever the topic even i like that but 20 is in the extreme and stupid maybe some are just building their post count who knows for sure

fOrUmAs
01-09-2008, 12:47 PM
there's one thing i noticed in several threads in the fst bittorrent section.

i find it quite amusing, but sometimes a little weird.

one guy starts a thread with a question.

the answer to his question is "A".

so someone replies to his thread and posts "A".

the guy who asked the question is happy that he got is answer - everything is fine.

now what often follows are up to 20 people posting the exact same answer: "A"

why do people do this? parrots? forum echo? don't they read the thread before posting? :D

well i will say very simple,most not all of them just spaming the thread nothing more...but im glad to see finaly staff have start to do something abouth that:)

Edit:
as u can see t0mmy doing almost the same thing,first he post and after he post again he said got confused:(

:P

Polarbear
01-09-2008, 12:49 PM
I partly agree with you, in some threads its unnessesary to do what you describe.

But if a user is asking a question and wants comments from other users about a certain issue, how does he know what each user has to say if they are not allowed to have the same opinions as other users.

i wasn't talking about discussable answers or comments. just plain answers.

q: "how much is 5+5"?
a: "10"

followed by at least five people posting the same sometimes :lol:

t0mmy
01-09-2008, 12:50 PM

thats what i was trying to say but i confused myself when i got halfway through posting my reply :(

NOLF
01-09-2008, 12:54 PM

Excactly, so we agree. Everything else is considered spam :P

spark
01-09-2008, 12:55 PM
I hate that "+1" crap

Polarbear
01-09-2008, 12:55 PM
I hate that "+1" crap

+1 :P

sleepyy
01-09-2008, 12:58 PM
What do they mean 1+ that the person agrees with you?

t0mmy
01-09-2008, 01:05 PM
yeah it just basically means they agree with the person above or higher, usually they quote your message though:P

Cheffy
01-09-2008, 02:28 PM
Grate thread polarbear
I see this happening on treads that go on for 8+ pages.

Thread: i need some new mp3 trackers.

First post:
Waffels,what,Stmusic,softmp3+++

Second post:
Waffels

Third post: Waffels and stmusic

Forth post: What and waffels

I mean common, if its already been said 5 times you dont need to post it.
But i guess the people that post as number 5 and onwards are the same persons that post Good Luck on every single tread in the invite selection.
I say remove the counter under your nick, and you will get less spam here.

Personally i think its better to have 3 good informative helpful posts than 30 posts with under 4 words in them.

beat
01-09-2008, 03:12 PM
A.

DyNast
01-09-2008, 03:31 PM
I noticed that for a long time now, and I find it pretty silly... that and the fact that some people post "good giveaway" or something like that in literally almost every giveaway

whitmar
01-09-2008, 06:29 PM
Because members' commitment and enthusiasm are judged in part by their sheer number of posts, there is a tendency to jump on any thread with an easy black or white answer. If the answer is some indisputable fact, one correct answer would definitely suffice. The rest is spam from people trying to increase their numbers, or posturing to appear helpful, so they may later be considered for membership in elite tracker sites. On the other hand, some question asking peoples' opinions about a music site, for example, may elicit well-meaning responses that can show a kind of consensus. If every post for 5 pages touts, lets say Waffles, the newcomer gets a pretty good indication of the music site to seek. I don't see any thing wrong with that (although the +1 posts are ridiculous). Posts that have less than 5 keystrokes should not be counted as a post, if that's even technically possible. Likewise posts consisting of only nodding smilies are pure spam and shouldn't be counted, much less condoned. Or better yet, consider members' post totals to be less important when judging the overall worth of a member. That could help stifle the urge to spam and the tendency to echo in the first place. I'm glad you brought up this issue, Polarbear.

Polarbear
01-09-2008, 06:58 PM
Because members' commitment and enthusiasm are judged in part by their sheer number of posts, there is a tendency to jump on any thread with an easy black or white answer. If the answer is some indisputable fact, one correct answer would definitely suffice. The rest is spam from people trying to increase their numbers, or posturing to appear helpful, so they may later be considered for membership in elite tracker sites. On the other hand, some question asking peoples' opinions about a music site, for example, may elicit well-meaning responses that can show a kind of consensus. If every post for 5 pages touts, lets say Waffles, the newcomer gets a pretty good indication of the music site to seek. I don't see any thing wrong with that (although the +1 posts are ridiculous). Posts that have less than 5 keystrokes should not be counted as a post, if that's even technically possible. Likewise posts consisting of only nodding smilies are pure spam and shouldn't be counted, much less condoned. Or better yet, consider members' post totals to be less important when judging the overall worth of a member. That could help stifle the urge to spam and the tendency to echo in the first place. I'm glad you brought up this issue, Polarbear.

i like your posts btw, mate.

and it seems they've gotten you a nice sct invite, right? ;)

Something Else
01-09-2008, 07:05 PM
News just in.
5+5 is 10. :w00t:

Defy
01-09-2008, 07:10 PM
A) I think it's possible for some users to respond at nearly the same time... I've been caught in this myself!

B) Someone has even more output or a more detailed answer that they want to share with the person who asked the question.

C) Spam and post counts. :P

whitmar
01-09-2008, 07:15 PM
i like your posts btw, mate.

and it seems they've gotten you a nice sct invite, right? ;)
Something sure did. And I really like it there! Also, thanks for the nice compliment.

dudave
01-09-2008, 07:20 PM
there is also the "read the header only symptom".
very common here on FST, and probably one of the
most anoying things ever.

wrongun92
01-09-2008, 07:21 PM
I would say it depends on the thread. If someone is asking for reviews, then the more reviews that person gets, s/he'll get a better understanding of the products pros/cons.
Then that product would seem to be credible.

monk3y
01-09-2008, 07:58 PM
polar no offense you are a good guy but sometimes you're doing me a headache :P

A B X Y Z BLAAAAAT

SgtMajor
01-09-2008, 08:05 PM

News just in.

^^^ what he said, I agree, the answer is 10.

Polarbear
01-09-2008, 08:10 PM
News just in.

that

(dumbass :P)

kaffeine
01-09-2008, 08:11 PM
News just in.

+1.
I can confirm that too.
5 + 5 =10

echo..... echo... echo.... :lol:

Polarbear
01-09-2008, 08:13 PM

better doing you a headache than giving you a boner.

Hrvoje
01-09-2008, 08:20 PM
I hate that "+1" crap

+1 :P

t0mmy
01-09-2008, 09:47 PM

better doing you a headache than giving you a boner.

EY.. whats going on here :naughty::naughty::naughty:

SAM
01-09-2008, 09:48 PM
we like it this way
+1 :D

spark
01-09-2008, 10:22 PM
http://www.okgmp.com/forums/images/smilies/finger.jpg