PDA

View Full Version : Personal License Migration

nmex
07-28-2003, 02:42 AM
I'm new to file sharing and I apologize if this is a dumb question.

I downloaded a song on Kazaa Lite K++ 2.4.1. I tried to play the file while still online and got a message from Microsoft Windows Personal License Migration Service. I accidentally clicked "yes" before I had a chance to finish reading the message, although I think I saw something about being able to play licensed files on up to ten different computers. My "yes" response was accepted, but I happened to delete the song right after that.

Anyway, I didn't get this message when downloading or playing any files previously. I only got the Personal License Migration message when I tried to play this one particular song that I had downloaded. Did I get the message because I tried to play a file that was already licensed on another or several other computers? Did I add a new computer to someone's list under an old personal license? Does Microsoft record information on the computer and keep it in its records? Is there going to be a problem?

3rd gen noob
07-28-2003, 02:51 AM
basically if someone rips a wma file from cd to their hdd using windows media player, wmp will attach a licence unique to that computer.
this means that if you want to play the file on another computer, you have to "migrate" the licence

this also applies if you change windows installations (at least on xp it does...)

nmex
07-28-2003, 02:59 AM
Thanks for the reply, 3rd gen noob. I'm wondering what happened on my end when I accepted the License Migration, particularly since it seems that there is a limit of ten computers per license. Was the computer added to a list that includes the computer that originated the file? Is someone keeping track of this list for whatever purpose? Also, how could people conitnue to add computers to this list if there is a limit of ten computers?

3rd gen noob
07-28-2003, 03:04 AM
Originally posted by nmex@28 July 2003 - 03:59
Thanks for the reply, 3rd gen noob. I'm wondering what happened on my end when I accepted the License Migration, particularly since it seems that there is a limit of ten computers per license. Was the computer added to a list that includes the computer that originated the file? Is someone keeping track of this list for whatever purpose? Also, how could people conitnue to add computers to this list if there is a limit of ten computers?
not completely sure baout this one

however, if m$ were tracking absolutely everyone who had migrated the licence, they would 'waste' a lot of time indeed

i'd say you were pretty safe

shn
07-28-2003, 04:28 AM
You need to go to the options menus in windows media player and disable the liscensing option that.