PDA

View Full Version : Pwned by an old man...

Defy
01-09-2008, 08:40 PM
I'm ashamed. I was just pwned by an old man. I do accounting work and have the blissful task of answering all the phone calls that come into the office. I pick up the phone and use my required greeting... you know, the one where you're supposed to sound like you give a crap... and I guess I should have, or at least tried, because I was stopped in my tracks.

This guy sounded like he was at least in his 70's+, cheerful (thankfully), and more full on life than I feel today. He asks me how I'm doing and I say, "Fine thanks, and yourself?" to which he replies, "Just wonderful, 110%... after taxes."

.... :mellow: .... (we provide income tax services, btw.)

It wasn't funny... so I didn't laugh. I didn't have anything to come back at it with either, so I just stayed quiet, lol. After a few very uncomfortable moments of silence the man asked me if I was still there, so I blurted out a blatantly fake chuckle and noted that I still was. He starts laughing and wanted to make sure that he didn't "floor" me with that one.

Just wtf. Either I'm really out of it today or that is seriously one orsum and clever old man.

Me - 0
Old Man - 1
:frusty:

tralalala
01-09-2008, 08:44 PM
I found it quite amusing.. What with all the phone calls you probably get everyday, that one shoulda been refreshing.

Defy
01-09-2008, 08:47 PM
Ehh, you're right... lol. Now that I'm able to sit back and think about it, I find myself chuckling over it. I'm just usually very slick and witty with my words... however I guess there's a first time for everything, especially with being caught offguard! :lol:

I sat there thinking if I should just ask what he wants, not like I didn't already know, especially after he cracked the tax joke. It was just one of those "durr" moments. :P

chalice
01-09-2008, 08:48 PM
It doesn't really make sense though, does it, like?

What he should have said was "about 75% after taxes".

Alzheimers induced Dyscalculia.

Defy
01-09-2008, 08:55 PM
It doesn't really make sense though, does it, like?

What he should have said was "about 75% after taxes".

Alzheimers induced Dyscalculia.

:lol:

Now that would have been amusing. You're right, it makes much more sense. I would have even gone for 110% before taxes and/or until you tell me what your fees are. I would have pushed to get him a discount then. ;)

Actually this is turning out to be quite refreshing.

C-mos
01-09-2008, 08:58 PM
the old men pwned you :D:D:D

probably he was an world war two veteran :D:D

chalice
01-09-2008, 09:04 PM
the old men pwned you :D:D:D

probably he was an world war two veteran :D:D

With a bit of shrapnel still stuck in his mis-calculating brain.

Biggles
01-09-2008, 09:39 PM
either that or he used to work for Enron and thought 110% after taxes was the norm

Mr JP Fugley
01-09-2008, 09:48 PM
either that or he used to work for Enron and thought 110% after taxes was the norm

Accountant scum.

Biggles
01-09-2008, 09:50 PM

Accountant scum.

Evening JP :shifty:

Mr JP Fugley
01-09-2008, 09:51 PM
Les

Something Else
01-09-2008, 09:53 PM
99% of accountants give the other 1% a bad name. :dabs:

Biggles
01-09-2008, 09:53 PM
'Tis eye

Biggles
01-09-2008, 09:54 PM

Like that adds up to the full quota of accountants

Mr JP Fugley
01-09-2008, 09:54 PM

The problem is every 99% gives the other 1% a bad name.

Defy
01-09-2008, 11:20 PM

Did I mention that I'm just the assistant and the "against-my-will" trainee in progress? :D
I actually dislike numbers, hate my boss, and want to burn the place down. Unfortunately it's decent pay for part-time work which allows me freedom in other areas like going back to school, music, and pirating software all day.

In other words, I agree with you. :shifty:

Skweeky
01-10-2008, 09:54 AM
I'm ashamed. I was just pwned by an old man. I do accounting work and have the blissful task of answering all the phone calls that come into the office. I pick up the phone and use my required greeting... you know, the one where you're supposed to sound like you give a crap... and I guess I should have, or at least tried, because I was stopped in my tracks.

This guy sounded like he was at least in his 70's+, cheerful (thankfully), and more full on life than I feel today. He asks me how I'm doing and I say, "Fine thanks, and yourself?" to which he replies, "Just wonderful, 110%... after taxes."

.... :mellow: .... (we provide income tax services, btw.)

It wasn't funny... so I didn't laugh. I didn't have anything to come back at it with either, so I just stayed quiet, lol. After a few very uncomfortable moments of silence the man asked me if I was still there, so I blurted out a blatantly fake chuckle and noted that I still was. He starts laughing and wanted to make sure that he didn't "floor" me with that one.

Just wtf. Either I'm really out of it today or that is seriously one orsum and clever old man.

Me - 0
Old Man - 1
:frusty:

't was obviously JP. Must've gotten bored lawyering

Biggles
01-10-2008, 11:19 AM

Did I mention that I'm just the assistant and the "against-my-will" trainee in progress? :D
I actually dislike numbers, hate my boss, and want to burn the place down. Unfortunately it's decent pay for part-time work which allows me freedom in other areas like going back to school, music, and pirating software all day.

In other words, I agree with you. :shifty:

:shifty: That is what they all say .... soon you will be reciting Accounting Standards in your sleep

then your soul will be ours Mhhhahwwaaaahaha

Skweeky
01-10-2008, 11:26 AM
Why did you become an accountant Les?

Biggles
01-10-2008, 11:58 AM
It was suggested by some person/git that I just happened to go through the wrong door during one of our training pushes :ermm:

Gitty git git

That and a bit of extra dosh in my pocket obviously - wouldn't be much of an accountant if that hadn't figured :shifty:

Skweeky
01-10-2008, 12:04 PM
:lol:

Crooked Les