PDA

View Full Version : Slow Downloading, Public Trackers

extremepilot
01-10-2008, 01:02 AM
Downloading from public trackers is always much slower than private trackers, the latter always skyrocketing to my peek download speed within the first minute. All ports are forwarded. uTorrent 1.75 is the client of choice. Torrent files usually have a 1:1 Seed/Peer ratio, sometimes better
Any tips?
Thanks in advance

RoSsoNeRI
01-10-2008, 01:05 AM
what public tracker(s) do u use??

extremepilot
01-10-2008, 01:18 AM
Mininova mostly

Tokeman
01-10-2008, 02:12 AM
On public trackers, I've found that my client only connects to a few peers each announce. Obviously, the more peers you are connected to, the more speed you should get. So, if there are a lot of peers that I am not connected to, I will do extra manual announces a few times (not too close together) in the beginning of a download, and that usually brings my total connected seeds/peers higher then it would on its own, thus increasing my speed.

Also make sure your settings are optimized for public trackers. Make sure that the total connections per torrent is high enough as well as your global connections. I usually have to raise these from the default client settings, but I guess that all depends on the client.

Final note, remember that if your upload speed is not limited in the client, and you reach full upload speed, your download speed will likely decrease. Always cap your upload speed slightly to allow your download requests to be sent out without delay.

DKre8ive1
01-10-2008, 06:55 AM
If you are using public trackers enable DHT and see if that helps your speeds.

Cheffy
01-10-2008, 08:29 AM
I doubt its something to do with your configuration
The reason its slow is because hit and run, and they limit the bw to public torrents.

And the users that tend to use public dont have all that much uploadspeed as well.

Dark Archon
01-10-2008, 09:50 AM
i never understood the fact that all new releases on pub trackers have like 5000 seeders, but the speed is horrible. WHY!

ulkroulkro
01-10-2008, 10:09 AM
Torrent files usually have a 1:1 Seed/Peer ratio, sometimes better

Yes, sometimes it's very slow but at least it's fair

tmo85
01-10-2008, 11:26 AM
Its not only that there is heaps of hit n runs on public sites, but the quality of the uploader is far worse. THey dont seed as long, and they dont seed as fast. Plust u dont want to many peers on a torrent, that will slow the torrent down IMO.

magushun
01-10-2008, 12:21 PM
public trackers are great for some things tbh. for example rare movies, that have been released by the scene, but no tracker stores them can be found on public ones. yeah, slow like hell, but its there. no matter how private and high lvl trackers im a member at, public trackers will always be the one for rarities.

TP635
01-10-2008, 12:23 PM
My dl speed is better when downloading from public site if the torrent have a lot of seeders.

rvt
01-10-2008, 05:41 PM
Plust u dont want to many peers on a torrent, that will slow the torrent down IMO.

Depends. If there is only one seed, and 200 peers with a distribution of 9.5 copies, you'd do well to connect to the peers and not the seed. Between them, peers can make up any number of seeds if all the pieces are out there in the swarm. You'll usually see this in your client where it says how many seeds you are connected to followed by +x.xx. 1+5.2 for example.

Also, if the seeders are on slow connections, with low connection limits, you'll often find a seedbox hidden in the peers with high upload speeds and high connection limits. Often I've been stuck waiting for a slow uploader while sending what I have at 10mbps+ with 150 connection slots to other peers.

High speed peers are also picked to send pieces to first. If you can connect to one of them, they act as a bridge to all the slow seeds, getting the bits first and putting it out a lot faster.

Tokeman
01-10-2008, 05:58 PM
I've never had slow down for too many peers, just the oppisite in fact. Unless you have really old hardware, or put the global allowed connections way way way to high, this should not be an issue.