PDA

View Full Version : Human verification..why?

sefo
01-10-2008, 06:28 PM
Hey all

why we should do this "Human verification" every time we log in?

it takes 15 min with me every time i log in :cry:

so do you think we should have this or what.?

all the best:fst:

That1Guy
01-10-2008, 06:30 PM
Yes, It is a security measure which I for one, always welcome :)

MuFuukan R
01-10-2008, 06:31 PM
it takes you 15 minutes longer to log in cause you have to type in 2 words??? .000000001 WordsPerMinute? How long did it take you to write this post 8 hours? =]

Little exaggerated no?

lostdemon
01-10-2008, 06:31 PM
I don't mind doing that. It takes me like 1 minute even less

sefo
01-10-2008, 06:33 PM
it takes you 15 minutes longer to log in cause you have to type in 2 words??? .000000001 WordsPerMinute? How long did it take you to write this post 8 hours? =]

Little exaggerated no?

the problem with the 2 words is they are hidden i cant see them clearly :(

KFlint
01-10-2008, 06:33 PM
15 mins, oh rly?

more like 15 seconds

DyNast
01-10-2008, 06:34 PM
So only people would register the site, no bots nor stuff like that (security issues as it has already been said, that's all)

sefo
01-10-2008, 06:37 PM
So only people would register the site, no bots nor stuff like that (security issues as it has already been said, that's all)
i didn't get it where is the security with that?

fOrUmAs
01-10-2008, 06:38 PM
Hey all

hehe 15 min?? this is joke right:console:

im in after 30 sec:coffee:

C-mos
I don't mind doing that. It takes me like 1 minute even less

+1

MuFuukan R
i didn't get it where is the security with that?

bots for spamming links , advertisements etc, with this captcha they can't register now cause bots can't read....

willsmith099
01-10-2008, 06:40 PM

Little exaggerated no?

lol it even takes 5-10 mins with me
Most of the time i try to log in I can't see any image except log in tab,Even refresh dunno works
After going back and back and enterting the pass again it gets to work,So there is some bug up in the new verification system :ermm:

1000possibleclaws
01-10-2008, 06:43 PM
i save it to stay logged in using firefox... i only had to do that code once. they bug the crap out of me, so i stay logged on constantly to pretty much everything except banking

sefo
01-10-2008, 06:45 PM
Hey all

hehe 15 min?? this is joke right:console:

im in after 30 sec:coffee:

not exactly 15 min maybe less,,,, 10 min:lol: but
i hate do this

fstokebanget
01-10-2008, 07:00 PM
10 min ??? still too much.... or maybe you're a bot :lol: :P

lostdemon
01-10-2008, 07:06 PM
10 min ??? still too much.... or maybe you're a bot :lol: :P

Ha Ha thats funny cuz I pictured this in my mind when I read your post

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y215/cortneyhead/johnny5isalive.jpg

Tokeman
01-10-2008, 07:08 PM
wow, if you think a simple image verify will keep bots out, you got another thing comming. OCR software is very sophisticated, and has been working well for a long long time. It has been encorperated into almost any signup bot you could want. All your doing is making users go through an extra step for not much security gain.
But hey, what do I care, I stay log'd in anyway :P

MARINE619
01-10-2008, 07:51 PM
yeah it take long time with me too!

kaffeine
01-10-2008, 07:57 PM
you'd think captcha is an annoyance until you receive 20+ mails saying that your account at FST has been blocked because someone tried to log in with an invalid passwd... so yea, I appreciate every security measure.

Polarbear
01-10-2008, 08:11 PM
you know what is kind of frustrating?

somebody opens a thread that has nothing to do with bittorrent but belongs in "everything related to the board" and gets many answers here.

when you post a question about the board in the right section, nobody answers you.

i think i will post everything in this section from now on.

MuFuukan R
01-10-2008, 08:15 PM

somebody opens a thread that has nothing to do with bittorrent but belongs in "everything related to the board" and gets many answers here.

when you post a question about the board in the right section, nobody answers you.

lol :shutup::shutup::shutup: <- This face explain what you felt as you were writing this ?

kaffeine
01-10-2008, 08:19 PM

:lol::lol:
well, this thread will eventually be moved to the right section, but I feel your pain lol

Zaxx
01-10-2008, 08:52 PM
My wife signed up here and everytime she tries to log on it makes her endlessly repeat human ver even tho she's typing the words correctly. She's all but given up now...lol

100%
01-10-2008, 08:54 PM
Rozz(mod), make a mini guide on how to get past captcha
+ cookie
http://pixiestixkidspix.files.wordpress.com/2007/08/cookie-bite-web.jpg

Giveaway
01-10-2008, 10:22 PM
it's just for security reason
a bot couldnt signup or login..its not human

Hairbautt
01-10-2008, 11:05 PM
FFS it's there for a reason. It's either "Ew, captcha" or "Oh, someone's hacking my account."

There were threads here where members (a pretty significant #) said that they recieved emails that their accounts have been locked because someone (or something :mellow:) tried to login to their accounts.

i think i will post everything in this section from now on.:unsure:

Skiz
01-10-2008, 11:14 PM

It is quality of the response that should be coveted, not the amount of posts.

For all those that are frustrated with the system, there is a cookie that will be saved and allow you to remain logged in. All you need to do is check the box that states, "Remember me".

Hairbautt
01-10-2008, 11:16 PM
I tried to answer his "how to add pictures to social groups? (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-everything-related-board-9/t-how-add-pictures-social-groups-267118)" thread. Maybe I'm just a nobody...:( Or perhaps I'm on his ignore list :smilie4:

Polarbear
01-10-2008, 11:25 PM
I tried to answer his "how to add pictures to social groups? (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-everything-related-board-9/t-how-add-pictures-social-groups-267118)" thread. Maybe I'm just a nobody...:( Or perhaps I'm on his ignore list :smilie4:

no, thank you.

TP635
01-10-2008, 11:41 PM
captcha; I hate it. I was trying to reg to one site and need to fill those stupid thing. I never get pass it and did not register. I must be a bot.
For this site, my Firefox just remember it and I need not login. If there is no such feature in Firefox I may be band from here for making more than 6 try just to login

Skiz
01-10-2008, 11:52 PM
For this site, my Firefox just remember it and I need not login. If there is no such feature in Firefox I may be band from here for making more than 6 try just to login

:unsure:

tesco
01-10-2008, 11:58 PM
wow, if you think a simple image verify will keep bots out, you got another thing comming. OCR software is very sophisticated, and has been working well for a long long time. It has been encorperated into almost any signup bot you could want. All your doing is making users go through an extra step for not much security gain.
But hey, what do I care, I stay log'd in anyway :PWho the hell has the time to keep reprogramming OCR software to read a captcha that's changed almost immediately after a hole has been figured out?

The official word on why we need captcha:

Bots used to try to log into people's accounts (unsuccessfully) repeatedly. After 5 failed tries per account (which they'd go over multiple times in a row) the user gets a few emails saying that someone is trying to access their account.
The user gets scared, when in actual fact nobody can access the account ebcause they will never get the password right (well, rarely, unless someone picks something stupid).
So to stop this annoyance for our users I introduced captcha for logging in.;)

The captcha at registration is to prevent bots from signing up and creating threads with scams/advertising, all automatically.
And this works very well.

:lol:

That's very true.
But every answer up until the thread was moved was wrong.:frusty:

Adman65
01-23-2008, 12:49 AM
I have to refresh it like 10 times before I can get some words that I can actually read.

peat moss
01-23-2008, 01:23 AM
I have to refresh it like 10 times before I can get some words that I can actually read.

Eggactly my feelings too or words I can't spell to begin with . I just use Firefox remember this site and in Ccleaner I saved the cookie from FST . It's only after a fresh install but still annoying . :D

Sonnentier
01-24-2008, 03:06 PM
Firefox keeps me logged in and when just typing uncarefully I was always able to log in successfully.

BawA
01-24-2008, 04:47 PM
apparently FireFox has a a flaw which they at mozila dont admit it. FF cant handle multiple login session and deletes the the cookies even though they are supposed to be deleted once expired.

if you google it you can find out that lots of FF users have same problem, the only way to solve this is by creating a fresh profile.

i myself have same problem, i must re-login to my bittorrent account almost each time i visit it, i cant really find out the exact time stamp when the cookies gets removed but the session expiration happens on random bases.

i even tried their support forums and as i said there is no official response to countless threads about the problem.

Barbarossa
01-24-2008, 05:41 PM
I use firefox and my cookies are fine :unsure:

enoughfakefiles
01-24-2008, 05:47 PM
Googlebot made an account :unsure:

tesco
01-24-2008, 11:44 PM
I use firefox and my cookies are fine :unsure:Same.
I can stay logged in to ANY site, as long as I don't clear my cookies.

BawA
01-25-2008, 05:37 AM
well not everybody makes cookies as good as Barbie :snooty:

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/106/capturekr3.jpg

lynx
01-25-2008, 12:43 PM
I don't think that's firefox, I think it is your internet security software. I've never seen a prompt like that from firefox.

BawA
01-25-2008, 03:26 PM
when you select "ask always" on cookies page on FF youll get those prompts, it will tell why a cookie creation is requested.

Quarter
01-28-2008, 02:40 PM
LOL why it takes you that long.
And if they're wont be a human verification there will be a bigger chance that some one will hack your account.