PDA

View Full Version : Moral issue

TP635
01-11-2008, 12:23 AM
I have a very slow connection due to being heavily throttled. I now find it very hard to get good ratio in some of the trackers that I love to download from.

I am thinking of using seedbox to by-pass this bottleneck. But it cost more money. All this while I have been sharing my files with friends who have no internet connection. They get their music free from me; and I like to keep it this way. But with the extra cost I may need to ask them to 'donate' to help me pay the seedbox.

If you are in my position would you charge?

01-11-2008, 12:25 AM
Does turning 'encription' on your client do nothing to bypass the isp's throttle?

ps - yeah i reckon it would be fair to ask your mates to chip in some cash

TP635
01-11-2008, 12:33 AM
Does turning 'encription' on your client do nothing to bypass the isp's throttle?

ps - yeah i reckon it would be fair to ask your mates to chip in some cash

My settng in utorrent is 'forced encryption'. This is a nation-wide goverment controlled isp.

fatcat69
01-11-2008, 12:34 AM
id be fair to ask for them to donate towards the cost....Donation is the keyword...

DefX
01-11-2008, 12:37 AM
If you are in my position would you charge?

Oh, without a doubt. Freeloading is ok to some extent but not if it'll burn your wallet.

Diiyad
01-11-2008, 12:37 AM
Just explain to them that you need to keep your ratio up to download files, and politely ask them them to "donate" as fatcat said.

1000possibleclaws
01-11-2008, 12:38 AM
ask them to donate for access to the seedbox.. that seems the most fair way to do this. or yeah you could charge them for a certain amount of gigs of info.. ask them what theyd prefer they might not like the idea of a 'monthly charge'

TP635
01-11-2008, 12:45 AM
Thanks guys, now I don't need to feel guilty about doing it.
Are there any other country in the world that does this to torrenters?

1000possibleclaws
01-11-2008, 12:56 AM
what country are you from?

SiNa
01-11-2008, 12:59 AM
man i would not force my friends to pay for what i give them. they are my friends!

get the stuff from a public tracker or limewire for songs if you want to help out your friends and at the same time cannot keep a ratio in a private tracker

TP635
01-11-2008, 01:04 AM
what country are you from?

Malaysia

man i would not force my friends to pay for what i give them never. they are my friends!

get the stuff from a public tracker or limewire for songs if you want to help out your friends and at the same time cannot keep a ratio in a private tracker

I use public trackers too; takes about 1 week to dl a movie.
I use RS to get most of my songs but it is a pain in the ass downloading those .rar files, and you need to be primium user(pay) to use a downloading manager.
Limewire; I was there; no more now.

horiZen
01-11-2008, 04:28 AM
to ask friends to donate towards what u getting is only fair if you are sharing with them..bandwidth in some countries can be expensive and sometimes it is indeed better to form a group(friends)+rent a gigabit box,,,lol,,,a 100MBit is just fine though :)

DanielleD87
01-11-2008, 05:09 AM
sounds kind of silly to me. if you're so worried about it download only on sites during freeleech, or download lots of a freeleech section, or download from sites that only count upload ratio, or sites that don't count ratio, or ... so many ways to do it without paying $$.

pandabear
01-11-2008, 05:18 AM
Force them to pay. If my friends wanted a ride to school/uni/work, i would tell them to pay petrol, or start walking. So same thing applies to seedboxes.

limpdickkid
01-11-2008, 05:59 AM
nah I could never do it. What I would suggest is try and hint them to what your plan is and if you think they didnt like what you said you'll know to back off and you can still easily say it was a joke. And when they ask you for something next time just tell them that you havent been able to download because "whatever reason". My friends did the same thing but I didnt have any problems maintaining ratios as I could use the university's connection so what I did is taught them how to download and no one bothers me anymore. ;-)

prasadah
01-11-2008, 06:14 AM
If you ask them money to donate few things may be happen
like if you fail to download due to some personal problems yourself become guilty that you cudn't give the stuff on time...
even they wont dominate you, money always a reason to get big misunderstandings,
or even if you are not interested to download some movie, even though you have to
download for their sake, moreover you cannot reject their request since you are taking
their money, and also this is a question of how your friends are close to you...
finally you may loose independence

TP635
01-11-2008, 07:17 AM
Those that depend on me to get the files are always willing to pay; It is me that do not want their money. I take pride in sharing. All they have to do is hand me a usb flash drive or an external drive and I will fill it up with want they want. ( I don't like burning files to CD).
The alternative for them is to wait for the pirate version of that albums/movies/games to come out in the side street market.
A seedbox is the last resort; I am aware of other methods of getting those files. I want to explore more ways.
And someone last nite want me to get him the full pack of Police Acadamy! That is where a seed box may help.

Cheffy
01-11-2008, 07:39 AM
When i was in the army i had my computer with me, And everyone that wanted to burn a cd had to pay. (This was back in 98) Since they ocupied my computer wile seaching for music and the time it took to burn the cd. I got earned like 300-400 bucks extra each month by doing that. And when you are in the army earning 20 bucks each day in a country were a pack of cigarettes went for 10 bucks its nice having some extra cash to party away in the weekends.

But for my friends i could never ask them to pay, but if you were dependent on earning money to be able to supply them with files i guess you could ask for donations. But for "friends" that you never hang out with that only give you a flash drive or a disk and ask you to to fill it i guess it would be "ok" to charge for it.
But in this day of age i would be really careful, i think i would only ask for donations. because even if you need the money to pay for the box you are basically selling wares for profit. And in most countries thats the laws for that are much harsher for that then a user that just download for his own personal use.

mera
01-11-2008, 10:01 AM
Perhaps explaining to them your situation and that you might need to get a seedbox would be solution that is agreeable to all? Afterall, if they are your friends they would not want to take advantage of you like you would not of them (ie taking money).

Sanka113
01-11-2008, 11:38 AM
I'd just be honest with them. Explain to them the situation and how the seedbox helps them, then ask if they'll mind helping with the seedbox. Even if they decline at first, they probably feel bad when they see you going so far out of your way to help them and cave lol.

Dark Archon
01-11-2008, 11:42 AM
China happens to throttle internet speed of bittorrents national-wide.

seppypom
01-11-2008, 12:10 PM
Malaysia

isn't that ironic!

TP635
01-11-2008, 02:10 PM
Malaysia

isn't that ironic!

Due to pressure from the anti-pirate lobby lead by the US.

bigdaddykane
01-11-2008, 06:03 PM
it depends in the position you are all in financialy cause if you are all broke like me lol then i wouldnt do you anygood to ask for help cause you be wasting your time if your isp is being throttled have you checked what times of the day is the heaviest and lightest that may also help you when downloading and chose the times is throttled the slowest hope this helps a little tc.

game1283
01-11-2008, 10:17 PM
Man, you should find a way to DL those files.. but don't turn to pay-to-leech like scheme of downloading files.. I believe there's still a way..

Goodluck for you to find ways.. :)

phrenzy
01-11-2008, 10:34 PM
ummmm.................Newsgroups.............

TP635
01-12-2008, 01:37 AM
it depends in the position you are all in financialy cause if you are all broke like me lol then i wouldnt do you anygood to ask for help cause you be wasting your time if your isp is being throttled have you checked what times of the day is the heaviest and lightest that may also help you when downloading and chose the times is throttled the slowest hope this helps a little tc.

All my torrents turn red most of the day and only turn green after 1.00 am at night. They will be green till around 9.00am the next morning. At one tracker site I got auto-warning for HnR.

Man, you should find a way to DL those files.. but don't turn to pay-to-leech like scheme of downloading files.. I believe there's still a way..

Goodluck for you to find ways.. :)

I still use TPB, RapidReactor and a few other RS forum.

ummmm.................Newsgroups.............

An option that cross my mind.....

dnero73
01-12-2008, 03:46 AM
have you tried using Deluge this client bypasses throttling ,I get throttled heavily and started using it and it works

TP635
01-12-2008, 04:06 AM
have you tried using Deluge this client bypasses throttling ,I get throttled heavily and started using it and it works

Looking at it now. Some tracker may still ban it.

The win. ver is still very unstable, maybe I wait of the next release. But thank for the head up.

slimdogp
01-12-2008, 04:31 AM
Only take payment in beer or weed, that makes it easier to rationalize.

willsmith099
01-12-2008, 05:23 AM
man i would not force my friends to pay for what i give them. they are my friends!

lol never,everyone have good trackers eveyone wants to utilize them,Good pretimes Faster speeds,Who wud like to leave sites like TL and SCT and go for downloading on public forums where half of the files are fake and the other half a bunch of fucking viruses :happy:
Ask your friends for donations and if they can't sort it out the other way :cool:

TP635
01-12-2008, 06:18 AM
Only take payment in beer or weed, that makes it easier to rationalize.

Been getting mostly free beers for those files; weeds, thats is min 2yrs in rehab centre for positive urine test and dead by hanging if you are found with more than a few rolls. Joking aside here.