PDA

View Full Version : Ideal # of Torrent to Seed

fakiefakes
01-12-2008, 01:39 AM
Hey guys, I was just wondering if there was an ideal number of torrents one should be seeding. For example if you had 1000 torrents being seeded at on time would the overhead traffic/packets overwhelm the client an negated the whole purpose of seeding. As opposed to seeding 100 torrents were the overhead packet volume isn't that great.

bornwithnoname
01-12-2008, 02:02 AM
Hey guys, I was just wondering if there was an ideal number of torrents one should be seeding. For example if you had 1000 torrents being seeded at on time would the overhead traffic/packets overwhelm the client an negated the whole purpose of seeding. As opposed to seeding 100 torrents were the overhead packet volume isn't that great.

I doubt it would overwhem the client, but there is a limit to your bandwidth.

Zaxx
01-12-2008, 02:05 AM
Your question can not be answered (specifically) unless you specify the available bw.

Cheffy
01-12-2008, 02:22 AM
It is possible to seed 1000 torrents and only have 10 of them active, and make the torrent upen up for more torrents if you use less than 90% of your total BW.

Really no point in seeding 50+ torrents (on a regualr homeconnection)
It will only let each user get like under 5kB/s from you.

koolyt
01-12-2008, 02:31 AM
i'm seeing 100 between only 2 trackers right now on 1mbit...it's all about bonus points!

fakiefakes
01-12-2008, 04:09 AM
Yea, I guess my question was more gear towards the bittorrent application itself. I didn't mean you'd be seeding 1000 torrent, just that they were open for uploading. My concern was, for example, if had a 1000 torrents started and they're all checking back with the tracker and communicating with other peers all that traffic would stifle my ability to upload to peers that need data. Last I checked my speed was Down:3850 kbps & Up:512.

koolyt
01-12-2008, 04:23 AM
but what is the point of seeding that many torrents if not for bonus points? don't think anyone has tried it because there's no point, so we don't know if clients can handle it

Bucktoof
01-12-2008, 04:54 AM
I would choose 1, just because you want to allow for the information to get out as fast as possible. Bonus points can increase seeding, but of course people abuse it. If you're seeding 50 torrents with a 2mb adsl line, you're seeding individual torrents at only a couple kb/s, making the people who are dling wait even longer

fakiefakes
01-12-2008, 05:03 AM
@koolyt - thanks for the info that what I was looking for.

Torn
01-12-2008, 06:47 AM
You can keep 100+ seeding but only a certain few will be active.

The more you have seeding the better. As soon as one file is done uploading, another, which was inactive, can start right up.

Just set the trackers/files that you want to have priority. (Low/mid/high) **Right click --> bandwidth allocation.

Why only have 10 files in your application when most of the time it will just be dormant? The more you have that are "working" the more you will eventually upload. That is if you leave your computer on 24/7.

Torn
01-12-2008, 06:47 AM
edit: double post

pandabear
01-12-2008, 07:17 AM
This is depressing. The reason you seed torrents, is so they don't die, not for bonus points.. The most torrents i have had seeding is 530 something, and the files seeded fine, usually with 3 or 4 torrents going at once. You can limit number of active torrents, if you want to try give decent amount of bandwidth to users leeching off you. And no problems with overhead packet transfer, unless you try to update tracker on all torrents at once, which puts a bit of data transfer on your line, tho never enough to max line out, or even come close.

kadake
01-12-2008, 10:15 AM
i seed 100+ torrents at ScT alone because gaining back your upload ratio is quite hard due to the amount of seeders there, if i setup a Que or only start a few torrents i would never gain back my ratio.

The only other answer is to setup RSS in your Client, now i have tuned mine it works like a dream, so you could have lot less torrents running and get the RSS to Grab them on release and it will Seed much harder due to the demand.

kadake
01-12-2008, 10:16 AM
doubled posted me

kadake
01-12-2008, 10:17 AM
doubled posted me

Night0wl
01-12-2008, 02:51 PM
Like kadake said it all depends on what site as well as how much bandwidth you have. Also it depends on what your router can handle, if you patched XP (if you used that), if you are using a light or heavy client, if the torents are big or small (exe, mp3, DVD etc.) and if the torrents are relatively new and popular.

There really isn't one right answer on this one.

I usually have +100 torrents seeding in my client, but some of those are unpopular music torrents while others are new movies. I ralely happens that I stay maxed out for more than a couple of hours at a time unless there are very few other seeders on a torrent someone wants.

That's on 512Kbps up as well and using Azureus.

If I get close to 200 torrents at a time then Azureus often will start acting a bit sluggish, but that probably depends on all of the above as well.

colombianino
01-12-2008, 04:05 PM
or just swap between torrents, example would be to keep about 6 torrents maximum active and delete one and add another one. is what i do and never had problems with seeding. i just wish my upload speed was at least 2mbit.