PDA

View Full Version : cheapest car in the world - 2500$

nkhlsrf
01-12-2008, 07:30 PM
hello ppl..
ya u read it right..thts the cheapest car in the world buil by TATA motors of india...though it hasnt launched yet but it will in a few months..
so wat do u think abt it..?
here is the link to the news : http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/corporatenews/view/322192/1/.html

angryghost
01-12-2008, 07:39 PM
Well... you get what you pay for, and the car will probably last a few months if even. But:

Tata Nano has a 624cc engine and a mileage of 23 km per litre.
that is quite a decent deal. Id expect interior and exterior to be pretty disastrous tho.

nkhlsrf
01-12-2008, 08:06 PM
they arent..look at the images and and u will be assured ...and i feel it will last way longer than a few months....

bigboab
01-12-2008, 09:04 PM
they arent..look at the images and and u will be assured ...and i feel it will last way longer than a few months....

Add import tax etc and it will be Ta Ta. Given that, the Mini was a great success and it was like driving in a Corned Beef can.:)

zapjb
01-12-2008, 11:03 PM
54MPG for $2500? They'd sell millions!

cullen7282
01-13-2008, 12:54 AM
Add import tax etc and it will be Ta Ta. Given that, the Mini was a great success and it was like driving in a Corned Beef can.:)

I don't think they made it with the intention of exporting. I believe they made it for the poor people in India. A lot of people there can't afford cars, they ride bikes and such. This gives them another option.

Ronnie Coleman
01-13-2008, 03:10 AM
It is very interesting concept. Having "not so powerful" car. Also, price is astonishing.

There are bicycles that has higher price...

Really best-buy for students and people who doesn't have/won't to spend a lot of money on car. :shuriken:

Busyman™
01-13-2008, 07:49 AM
I'm an el cheapo and I wouldn't want that car.

I'd be afraid of getting run over by a stroller or errant grocery cart out in the parking lot.

Safety furst and whatnotz.

clocker
01-13-2008, 02:36 PM
I'm an el cheapo and I wouldn't want that car.

I'd be afraid of getting run over by a stroller or errant grocery cart out in the parking lot.

Safety furst and whatnotz.
If this...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/clocker/indian_minivan.jpg

...was your normal mode of transportation, that car would look like a Hummer to you.
It's silly to apply American standards and expectations to a product designed for a completely alien environment.

silent h3ro
01-13-2008, 03:12 PM
That car is not very practical in the U.S. haha.

clocker
01-13-2008, 03:35 PM
And your point is?

silent h3ro
01-13-2008, 03:57 PM
I have no point really, but Americans are known for driving SUVs and Hummers and that is true in South East Michigan at least. You won't see many cars like this on our roads. I think I've seen maybe two or three Chevy Aveo hatchbacks in Michigan since they were released and they don't look much bigger than this car. It's not a very safe looking car especially when there are much bigger cars on the road.

tesco
01-13-2008, 03:59 PM
I have no point really, but Americans are known for driving SUVs and Hummers and that is true in South East Michigan at least. You won't see many cars like this on our roads. I think I've seen maybe two or three Chevy Aveo hatchbacks in Michigan since they were released and they don't look much bigger than this car. It's not a very safe looking car especially when there are much bigger cars on the road.
It's not for the USA.:rolleyes:

23 kilometers per liter = 54.0993544 miles per gallon

:O

clocker
01-13-2008, 04:03 PM
OK, my point is that this car was not designed nor intended for the American market so of course it would be impractical here.
It couldn't be exported here.

It may however, be just the ticket for the niche it was intended to fill.

cullen7282
01-13-2008, 05:36 PM
OK, my point is that this car was not designed nor intended for the American market so of course it would be impractical here.
It couldn't be exported here.

It may however, be just the ticket for the niche it was intended to fill.

Thank you clocker. I made that point way back in reply #6 but I guess people are choosing to ignore that fact. Maybe if enough of us shout it they'll get the point. :frusty:

nkhlsrf
01-13-2008, 05:48 PM
its an obvious fact tht the car hasnt been made for the ppl of US or europe...
but it kind of gives the reflection of the volswagen beetle doesnt it??
and leaving everything else out...just look at the price tag..

clocker
01-13-2008, 07:21 PM
and leaving everything else out...just look at the price tag..
"Leaving everything else out" is exactly how they achieved the price.

nkhlsrf
01-14-2008, 09:25 AM
come on..i feel they have done a fairly good job..

angryghost
01-14-2008, 10:47 AM
come on..i feel they have done a fairly good job..

Yes they have done a good job in targeting their niche market, because the price does make a car significantly more affordable for the lower income bracket people in India. However, this car cannot be compared to others in any terms simply because they are designed to survive in a different market.

ivenkii
01-27-2008, 06:19 PM
now in India already more than 8 lakh cars have ordered by the TATA dealers all over India and teh orders still increasing.......

AmpeD
01-27-2008, 06:23 PM
54MPG for $2500? They'd sell millions!
until the guy driving his 10 mpg hummer kills them all in one crash

sumvell
01-28-2008, 08:37 PM
The buzz around this car is just phenomenal.I'm not too convinced about the safety features, but wanyway, most of the low end cars in India have pathetic safety features. Nano can't get much worse than them. So, compararble safety at half the price of the next cheapest car???? Not a bad deal in my opinion.

Definite
02-02-2008, 05:32 AM
As a student, I'd totally buy that.

ScreaminJay
02-02-2008, 05:50 AM
Wow, that's excellent news. Hope they make them run on diesel... then that will be both the most environmentally friendly and cheapest car.

The problem with hybrids, mini, smart, etc... All of these cars are very expensive and cannot be baught by the masses.

Hopefully they export this and the price don't double or triple in the process. They'd totally rape the market with a car priced that low.

At the same time however... as it is said... made in India for Indians... if a billion people start buying cars "en masse", I'm quite sure that's not good news for the environment.

silent h3ro
02-03-2008, 12:54 AM
Hopefully they export this and the price don't double or triple in the process. They'd totally rape the market with a car priced that low.I'm pretty sure there are laws against that. :huh:

Smith
02-03-2008, 01:36 AM

How do you figure? I drive to Toronto every day for work and I see thousands of those smart cars driving around during the summer. If you just need something for getting around in a small city, this cars perfect for you. If they brought that thing to North America (and got it up to our safety standards) it would put everyone else out of business.

silent h3ro
02-11-2008, 01:19 AM

How do you figure? I drive to Toronto every day for work and I see thousands of those smart cars driving around during the summer. If you just need something for getting around in a small city, this cars perfect for you. If they brought that thing to North America (and got it up to our safety standards) it would put everyone else out of business.Ok, Toronto is not the U.S. last I checked. Small smart cars are not very popular in a rural area is all I am saying. You might find more of these in a city for example Toronto where you are seeing them. Not as many people live in the Detroit area, therefore less of a want for a car such as this. This car seems better suited towards a third world country or a big city.

silent h3ro
02-11-2008, 01:22 AM
Oh yeah and I would LOVE to see people try to get around with this car in the winter. Can you say death trap?

and got it up to our safety standardsThey would need to make the car bigger, IMO.

bikernin
02-11-2008, 02:32 PM
i was at the launch of the car and it was a pretty big day for the indian automobile industry. we are not a very rich country and hence the car is very attractive to the average indian. besides, its not bad looking and has decent fuel economy. this is meant to be used as a basic mode of transportation and is ideal for students and small families who want to switch over from two wheelers. im not really sure whether this will be available outside india, but its surely gonna make a lot of sales here. the funny part is, inspite having so many plus points, people have already started complaining that it will hard to find parking space :| considering how crowded the streets are here, it could turn out to be a serious concern, not to mention pollution problems

iGraffiti
02-15-2008, 12:22 PM
Coolish

sleepyy
02-16-2008, 06:19 AM
Looks alright for a little run around car it beats my old £100 fiesta then again i can't imagine myself driving a 600 cc 1.1 was bad enough.

wardep
02-21-2008, 09:58 PM
i were happy if i had just half of that amount of money :D