PDA

View Full Version : ScT Anti-Cheating System

Diiyad
01-14-2008, 05:15 AM
What do all the members think about their new detection? Sure, it catches cheaters, but does it also disable people who haven't done anything wrong? I know a few of friends of mine who got banned for "spoofing data", and they insisted they did nothing wrong. My real life friend got banned for "ghost leeching" awhile ago, and I know he doesn't cheat let alone know what the term "ghost leeching" means. He just downloaded different parts of a torrent and seeded those specific parts. The wonderful "anti-cheat" detection looked at his torrent ratio, and saw he had 100mb downloaded and 5gb uploaded. Cheater! (Auto disabled) He went on the IRC help and a staff member laughed and informed him that his account would not be undisabled. Does most of the staff even understand how the anti-cheat system works? Or do they just read the "reason for ban" off their screen and jump to conclusions about a member...

What does everyone think about the system?

.:Him:.
01-14-2008, 05:23 AM
So far, it seems to work by banning a lot of cheaters, but I also know that it is having a bad effect on innocents who cheated by no means.

DanielleD87
01-14-2008, 05:29 AM
i haven't had any problem with it so I didn't think much about it.

however, I remember I invited someone on oink who was banned for cheating before he even downloaded anything and I lost all my invites. I was pissed about it because he wasn't cheating. I don't need to get into details, but when you have proof like if you are looking over their computer or something along those lines, it is retarded to see innocent people banned.

fatcat69
01-14-2008, 05:34 AM

however, I remember I invited someone on oink who was banned for cheating before he even downloaded anything and I lost all my invites. I was pissed about it because he wasn't cheating. I don't need to get into details, but when you have proof like if you are looking over their computer or something along those lines, it is retarded to see innocent people banned.

Same sorta thing happened to me :cry:

swap
01-14-2008, 05:49 AM
ok...

predateur
01-14-2008, 05:53 AM
i have a friend was banned because of this anti cheat
he has 10.50gb upload and 1mb download
he dont know how to talk on irc so i logged to sct irc to see what happened and , first they told me because of cheating, the stat (10.5gb ) was from : 2donation for invite (they will give you 250mb for every invitee) and 10gb of the new year 2008 , so deviant saw there is nothing about cheat , and he told me to wait for admin, and when this fucking money lover comes and saw there is nothing wrrong with this account he kicked me from irc and told me i dont know why but you are detected as cheater and our new system is 100% fiable o.O no comment .

swap
01-14-2008, 06:01 AM
he dont know how to talk on irc so i logged to sct irc to see what happened and , first they told me because of cheating, the stat (10.5gb ) was from : 2donation for invite (they will give you 250mb for every invitee) and 10gb of the new year 2008 , so deviant saw there is nothing about cheat , and he told me to wait for admin, and when this fucking money lover comes and saw there is nothing wrrong with this account he kicked me from irc and told me i dont know why but you are detected as cheater and our new system is 100% fiable o.O no comment .
Uploading 10.5 GB with 1 mb download :lol:
No logic at all

predateur
01-14-2008, 06:02 AM
No logic at all

its not uploaded , its 10GB of the 2008 party for every user and 500mb of 2 invites
also it was free leech periode :)

Hey
01-14-2008, 06:14 AM
^ that pretty much sucks ass! feel sorry for you, but what can you do? ScT likes money...the more they ban, the more money they get ;)

willsmith099
01-14-2008, 06:33 AM
No logic at all

its not uploaded , its 10GB of the 2008 party for every user and 500mb of 2 invites
also it was free leech periode :)

Lol same sorta thing happened with my friend,It was not his actual stats but the torrent stats that got his ass kicked
He had downloaded a file from other site and was seeding it at SCT so the download was abt 256 kb and upload around 13.6 GB
Next day he cheked his acc was disabled,went to the irc and kicked off with the same reason that their cheat system is fooooooooool proof :lol::lol:

fatcat69
01-14-2008, 06:52 AM
No logic at all

How is that no logic?

Come look at some of my accounts I have 2tb uploaded and 3gb downloaded....

dont need to be sherlock holmes to figure it out...:lol:

http://images.buycostumes.com/mgen/merchandiser/18180.jpg

sugam
01-14-2008, 08:25 AM
I've never had a problem with these anti-cheat scropts anywhere. I guess its becaouse I even dont know how to cheat...

Cheffy
01-14-2008, 08:46 AM
Ofcouse there is going to be some bans that are not valid. But the staff should be able to enable the accounts if you explain what have happened.

Sound really weird if you ask me.

disconny
01-14-2008, 08:56 AM
its pretty cool that non cheaters are getting disabled and cheaters get to stay :)

NightOwl
01-14-2008, 08:58 AM
i had my account disabled,the only reason i can think of is that i downloaded 1gb from a 30gb pack and uploaded 17gb back to get my ratio back to 1-1,yeah i know i overseeded but i never used any form of modified client etc, i seeded back with my vps,was told to go into IRC to plead my case but i'm not a fan of IRC so just left it,not too bothered about it now but not too chuffed about being classed as a cheat

jam0980tr
01-14-2008, 10:01 AM
its pretty cool that non cheaters are getting disabled and cheaters get to stay :)

why becoz they are useing there brains to cheat
sct should catch the clever cheaters, i don't see them catching the clever ones all i see is good people getting ban for no reason.

willsmith099
01-14-2008, 11:22 AM

why becoz they are useing there brains to cheat
sct should catch the clever cheaters, i don't see them catching the clever ones all i see is good people getting ban for no reason.

Money Money Money :D:)

fOrUmAs
01-14-2008, 12:03 PM
I've never had a problem with these anti-cheat scropts anywhere. I guess its becaouse I even dont know how to cheat...

for me to,everything working fine for me..:)

but i cant say its the best anticheate system:dry:

willsmith099
01-14-2008, 12:14 PM

for me to,everything working fine for me..:)

but i cant say its the best anticheate system:dry:

Lol is there a need for everyone to tell here that their acc is fine it doesn't matter that 16k accs are working fine but it really does matter even if 1 acc has been banned without any reason(though 100s of them have been:ermm:),Just think of a person who loves the site so fucking much has had a fucking big buffer,Seeded for so long and suddenly banned for no Reas0n:pinch:
and moreover kicked out of irc without knowing the reason for which he was banned,Thatz wut happened with my friend :angry:

briand5379
01-14-2008, 12:43 PM
I've heard the same thing from quite a few people that I know that they're being banned along with other friends of theirs when they did nothing wrong and that this new cheat detection thing that ScT staff thinks is flawless is nothing but sh*t. I've never felt the need to cheat with ratios in my life and if something like this were to happen to me I'd definitely be the first to agree that it's crap.

fOrUmAs
01-14-2008, 12:57 PM
Lol is there a need for everyone to tell here that their acc is fine it doesn't matter that 16k accs are working fine but it really does matter even if 1 acc has been banned without any reason(though 100s of them have been:ermm:),Just think of a person who loves the site so fucking much has had a fucking big buffer,Seeded for so long and suddenly banned for no Reas0n:pinch:
and moreover kicked out of irc without knowing the reason for which he was banned,Thatz wut happened with my friend :angry:

yea u are correct,and i have said many times in previous ScT threads that they have new Anti cheateing(banneing people) system...and of course mistakes can happend and this mistakes have happend a lot before new year when user limit was 17K..and i also know there was people who have been banned for no reasone and that is bad..but we cant do much on that part anyway from here:)

also that is why i have said,they dont have best Anti-cheater system;)

Polarbear
01-14-2008, 01:39 PM
i don't know how the software works and i don't know any people that were banned because of cheating.

i do believe that sct staff acts responsible and looks into accounts that have been detected or flagged by the script.

the script helped to ban a lot of cheater which is good, because they hurt the tracker.

no piece of software and no human works 100%.

there may be people that are banned because of mistakes by either the script or a staff member.

but i think those cases are very very rare. the majority who is banned for cheating did cheat.

the problem is, that there are no cheaters who say:"oh yeah, i cheated. you and your script got me. it works great. excellent job, regards to the coder. can i have my account back now?"

the typical cheater will never ever admit that he's been cheating. many of them come to irc and demand their account back claiming to be angels or even act rude.

they will find any excuse that they can imagine to get their account back and i understand that this can be very exhausting and work intensive for staff.

i'm sure that one of the most common excuses they hear lately is "i wasn't doing anything wrong it was your faulty script. i'm soooo innocent."

the script can't be so bad. othwerwise you won't have tens of thousands of members that aren't affected by it at all.

tracker coders are not stupid. they don't activate a script that is faulty and flags random good users.

cheaters are lying bastards - it's their mentality.

it's sometimes hard to respect and find the innocent amongst 99% who are guilty.

if somebody thinks he was banned for no reasons, go to their irc and explain your case in a friendly and reasonable manner.

if it really was sct's fault and not yours you will get your account back.

just be aware of the fact that 99% of the people claiming the same are just cheating liars.

they are the ones who make good users look implausible and not a script.

Presto
01-14-2008, 01:54 PM
^ wise words

Diiyad
01-14-2008, 03:22 PM
i don't know how the software works and i don't know any people that were banned because of cheating.

i do believe that sct staff acts responsible and looks into accounts that have been detected or flagged by the script.

the script helped to ban a lot of cheater which is good, because they hurt the tracker.

there may be people that are banned because of mistakes by either the script or a staff member.

but i think those cases are very very rare. the majority who is banned for cheating did cheat.

the problem is, that there are no cheaters who say:"oh yeah, i cheated. you and your script got me. it works great. excellent job, regards to the coder. can i have my account back now?"

the typical cheater will never ever admit that he's been cheating. many of them come to irc and demand their account back claiming to be angels or even act rude.

they will find any excuse that they can imagine to get their account back and i understand that this can be very exhausting and work intensive for staff.

i'm sure that one of the most common excuses they hear lately is "i wasn't doing anything wrong it was your faulty script. i'm soooo innocent."

the script can't be so bad. othwerwise you won't have tens of thousands of members that aren't affected by it at all.

tracker coders are not stupid. they don't activate a script that is faulty and flags random good users.

it's sometimes hard to respect and find the innocent amongst 99% who are guilty.

if somebody thinks he was banned for no reasons, go to their irc and explain your case in a friendly and reasonable manner.

just be aware of the fact that 99% of the people claiming the same are just cheating liars.

Exactly. I think 99% is a bit too much, probably 80% of the time people do cheat, but the problem is the staff should be knowledgble about the script and how it catches cheaters, so they can review each case and decide whether or not they are lying. The people responsible for reviewing the cases should have some knowledge of the code.

dragos
01-14-2008, 03:37 PM
very nice and true words from polarbear. Me gives polar a beer for his post

stoi
01-14-2008, 03:41 PM
i think you will be surprised, i have had quite a few which we have banned and said

"ok, i tried, you caught me, fair game, cya"

"oh, is that cheating, i didnt realise, fair enough you caught me but i didnt realise using a ratio cheater was a bannable offence" lol

but mistakes can and do happen, or something the user does, looks like a cheat, but was an innocent mistake.

Just yesterday i had a member on here PM me and ask why he was disabled, i checked his account, asked the staff member why he was banned, asked him what he done, he explained, i told him to read the rules and FAQ and not to do what he did again, as yes it did look like a cheat from our end, and re-enabled him.

Nothing is foolproof.

disconny
01-14-2008, 05:05 PM
catching cheaters is like catching criminals, except there is no court system. at least in the us criminal justice system you can appeal court decisions. usually if staff mistakes you as a cheater the BAN HAMMER COMES DOWN HARD!
also, people in prison sometimes say they are innocent, just like cheaters sometimes claim being innocent. what have we learned from all this? all cheaters are really ex-cons, or going to be convicts in the future! Cheating leads to murder!

mbucari1
01-14-2008, 05:21 PM

Well, your oink invitee could still have been cheating. Pretty sure cheat scripts search for some anomaly in the announce of the spopofing program that identifies it. If the anomaly in the program your invitee supposedly used was in the start announce, he could have been banned before the second announce informing the tracker of his upload.

whitmar
01-14-2008, 06:12 PM
Does anyone know of some legitimate practice that an honest person could do that might trigger a false cheating report?

SaviouR
01-14-2008, 06:24 PM
Does anyone know of some legitimate practice that an honest person could do that might trigger a false cheating report?

if that is known , everyone will give that excuse for unbanning themselves .

whitmar
01-14-2008, 06:31 PM

if that is known , everyone will give that excuse for unbanning themselves .

You're right, of course. I'm just trying to do everything I can to stay beyond reproach.

Polarbear
01-14-2008, 06:36 PM

intersting question and i could give you some answers. but it would not be appropriate to discuss this on a public forum. too many stupid real cheater would indeed take that as their next excuse.

in fact techniques somehow related to cheating or cheating detection shouldn't be discussed here at all.

there are enough forums discussing that crap already.

RIFKinator
01-14-2008, 10:03 PM
I've always wanted to get into ScT but it seems like it's fucking gay now :/

fsephie
01-14-2008, 10:05 PM

You will find that there are difference styles of running a torrent site, and that style will become prevalent as the image of the site itself. Scenetorrents is no worse nor no better than many other sites out there of similar quality. To say that it doesn't have what you want and doesn't have a set up in place that provides incredibly fast speeds is erroneous.

jonny81985
01-15-2008, 12:11 AM
yea i got banned there too and i never cheated

GRB23
01-15-2008, 12:42 AM
is preseeding allowed on SCT?

Blade775
01-15-2008, 02:01 AM
I've been banned from sct because of "client spoofing", and I find that odd considering I don't even know what that mean. Ive been using utorrent to download my files and I've never had a problem before. Also, I've been banned from sct's support channel for some reason, so if you are a sct mod/adm please PM to let me explain myself.

Sonnentier
01-15-2008, 02:18 AM
I bewail the problem of cheaters being so severe that the whole communication and interaction of honest users gets stressed.. I can't completely understand how someone would be a liar for such unimportant reason. It's a bad thing how they throw whole communities into distrust. I love how this community still upholds a convenient ambience, being fair to everybody and expecting the truly user who often maybe :)

TheFoX
01-15-2008, 03:32 AM
Nothing is foolproof, and this from the person who first conceived cheat detection.

There are ways to detect cheat clients, and there are methods to detect cheaters using other methods, but we must also remember that we are dealing with the internet, where anything can, and does, happen, sometimes without provocation.

Also, we must remember that it doesn't matter how well constructed a genuine client is, even that can have a funny five minutes and send data that could be construed as a cheat.

I have even seen a situation where a client sent two events and the second one arrived before the first one, causing a trigger, even though both were acknowledged.

Finally, even humans screw up. I recently uncovered a rare bug in my own code that accidentally assigned a cheat detection to the wrong member. While this alert was minimal, it could have had some negative effects for those it did affect. Thankfully, one of the alerts pointed to someone we trusted, so some serious digging showed the error in the logic. Never trust a human to get it right...

SgtMajor
01-15-2008, 04:08 AM
Nothing is foolproof, and this from the person who first conceived cheat detection.

There are ways to detect cheat clients, and there are methods to detect cheaters using other methods, but we must also remember that we are dealing with the internet, where anything can, and does, happen, sometimes without provocation.

Also, we must remember that it doesn't matter how well constructed a genuine client is, even that can have a funny five minutes and send data that could be construed as a cheat.

I have even seen a situation where a client sent two events and the second one arrived before the first one, causing a trigger, even though both were acknowledged.

Finally, even humans screw up. I recently uncovered a rare bug in my own code that accidentally assigned a cheat detection to the wrong member. While this alert was minimal, it could have had some negative effects for those it did affect. Thankfully, one of the alerts pointed to someone we trusted, so some serious digging showed the error in the logic. Never trust a human to get it right...

Which is like the Marion Jones syndrome, took them 5 years to detect what she was taking, some sort of EPO crap, but every drug test she took in that time she passed.

One side is always using whatever means they have at their disposal to outwit the other, and we can only hope that cheaters get the outing they deserve, it may not be today, but they will be caught at some time in the future.

As for human failings, well no matter how much I protested, I am still banned from a site for what one admin thinks I did, and no amount of me pleading my innocence will convince him otherwise, and no amount of asking them to check references at other places works, yet I am still stuck with that one stigma that feels like dog shit that left a stained smell that lingers forever no matter how many times I shower.

Anyway, keep up the detection work and in the end the bad will be booted and the good will be exonerated.

pandabear
01-15-2008, 05:23 AM

I am not sure if you are check out the thread about the implemention of this system, it has a bit of info on what the system was doing, and how it is possible for a normal user to trigger ghost leeching warnings ( tho i suspect a lot of posts in that thread got edited). All the same, if you get banned just approach is calmly, and the staff member will look at your track record, and you should get unbanned. You will notice there is often a few obvious differences between a cheater and a innocent user.

willsmith099
01-15-2008, 05:55 AM

No offence but this is one of the most idiotic post i have evr read in my life
Lets say Polar bear if ur 1 TB buffered acc is banned from SCT without any cheating(as u say flaw in the script)The next day u whine at SCT irc,They misbehave with u and kick u off then will u be posting the same shit here :dry:

Okay we know that the script is not fuckin flawless and cheaters will go to irc and will say that they have not cheated,Here all the shit comes
Before implementing such a big system,SCT shud have thought a 1000 times how to re enable an account if the user was not cheating at all.....

We are not talking abt the script but we are talking abt how retard the SCT staff is.....:frusty:

grimms
01-15-2008, 09:25 AM
I think it' a great system to have in place. The ramifications of that though is the detection system sometimes flagging innoncent users as cheaters. I think S*T staff are good enough to distinguish good users from cheaters. Hopefully they revise it to work a little better for any users that really didn't cheat though (if thats really the case). I still think it's good.

kooftspc11
01-15-2008, 10:03 AM

i second that!!

Hanz™
01-15-2008, 12:40 PM

Lets say Polar bear if ur 1 TB buffered acc is banned from SCT without any cheating(as u say flaw in the script)The next day u whine at SCT irc,They misbehave with u and kick u off then will u be posting the same shit here :dry:

Okay we know that the script is not fuckin flawless and cheaters will go to irc and will say that they have not cheated,Here all the shit comes
Before implementing such a big system,SCT shud have thought a 1000 times how to re enable an account if the user was not cheating at all.....

We are not talking abt the script but we are talking abt how retard the SCT staff is.....:frusty:
Actually, if you were a staff member or a dev you'd know it was impossible for a well-made cheat script to make mistakes.
Everybody that gets banned for cheating cheats, and I've never seen proof that this wasn't the case.

The system never guesses. It only bans when it gets 100% proof, so all of these complainers should go back to using public sites.

Diiyad
01-15-2008, 02:53 PM

Actually, if you were a staff member or a dev you'd know it was impossible for a well-made cheat script to make mistakes.
Everybody that gets banned for cheating cheats, and I've never seen proof that this wasn't the case.

The system never guesses. It only bans when it gets 100% proof, so all of these complainers should go back to using public sites.

You sir, are an idiot.

fisherman
01-15-2008, 03:00 PM

No it's not impossibe for the script to make mistakes unless it's done perfect.

Your right it never guesses, but it does what it's told to do and if it's not 100% correct well then it can make mistakes.

So no the "complainers" as you call them that are innocent should go to IRC and plead their case or PM a community rep on here.

Nemrod
01-15-2008, 03:10 PM
I donīt think SCT staff is so evil... of course, I talk from my own experience only.
I had a problem and went to IRC, I was very upset and not nice or humble... of course... kicked off. Nothing to say, was well done.
I tried few days ago in a serious but nice way, I was listened and treated with absolute correction, my problem solved.
While I was waiting some other people also asked, and I must say that if I was staff I would act like them or even worst... almost everybody asking in absurd ways... begging, insulting or menacing. The few persons who asked properly were treated with absolute respect, regardless they solved the problem or not.
I think that when somebody asks in the proper way, maybe they help you or maybe not... depends of the issue, I guess... but Iīm sure that they will treat you with respect.

Tokeman
01-15-2008, 04:00 PM
People feel they are entitled to something just because they are or were a member there. They forget that it is a private site, and the staff can ban, or keep a ban in place for any reason they see fit. This includes some one who was ban'd wrongly but comes into IRC whining, complaining, and acting like an ass to the staff 'cause they think the world is ending. They are not staying ban'd due to the original (maybe even false) ban, its the attitude that keeps them from recieving help to un-ban. I must say for the most part, staff @ sct has more patients then I would have after a full day of these types of people.

danio
01-15-2008, 04:39 PM

Actually it is not true that everybody that gets banned for cheating cheats. A friend of mine was disabled for cheating. I know he did not cheat. There was something with his seedbox, and the ScT staff heard him out and after further investigation they re-enabled him. But i believe a very big majority that gets caught are guilty. So i agree with Polarbear, that if you are innocent, it's a matter of how you approach the staff on the irc when you plea your case.

TmZ
01-15-2008, 04:43 PM
Who is the best/nice staffer at ScT? like if i need to talk to one, who should i talk to?

Nemrod
01-15-2008, 04:49 PM
Who is the best/nice staffer at ScT? like if i need to talk to one, who should i talk to?

I donīt know if itīs allowed staff names here, others than are CR at FST... :huh:

Actatoi
01-15-2008, 06:20 PM

Read TheFox's post one more time.

jonny81985
01-15-2008, 06:40 PM
I think they drastically have to change the system. At Sct people get banned for downloading parts of files and seeding it. I for one think this must be fixed. I am against cheaters 100% and would like to see them banned but not at the price of the innocent.

disconny
01-15-2008, 07:52 PM
at SCT I should not seed files from other sites and should download files 100%? Is this what I'm hearing?

amreng
01-15-2008, 08:02 PM
Sct cheating system is a very cruel system two of my friends with power user accounts have been kicked out>>>>

at SCT I should not seed files from other sites and should download files 100%? Is this what I'm hearing?

I guess

Tokeman
01-15-2008, 08:49 PM
Sct cheating system is a very cruel system two of my friends with power user accounts have been kicked out>>>>

I guess

I've never had issues partial seeding or re-seeding from other sites.
Are you the same bunch that refused to upgrade your uTorrent? lol...

Cruel
01-16-2008, 12:29 AM

I've uploaded uploaded plenty of files that I've got from different sites with no problem.

Swax
01-16-2008, 01:26 AM
If you use uTorrent 1.8 alpha then I can almost guarantee an 'innocent' user that they won't get banned (as long as they still obey the rules, obviously)

Diiyad
01-16-2008, 02:41 AM
The anti-cheat script makes mistakes all the time.

grimms
01-16-2008, 02:54 AM

Same sorta thing happened to me :cry:

At S*T? What bt client do you use? I know their very strict on the bt clients as well. Some of them don't track ul dl stats probably.

Rumblin
01-16-2008, 02:58 AM
i use 1.6.1 and its all good for me