PDA

View Full Version : How to spread heat compound

Acid_death69
01-15-2008, 01:22 AM
Hi, i get my new CPU and Heatsink tomorrow. Ive never tried anything like this before i have checked and triple check that everything fits and so forth, but im not sure when it comes to the heat compound between the CPU and the heatsink how to spread it. If someone could give me a clue that would be great.
Dan

clocker
01-15-2008, 02:23 AM
Depends on the situation.

Some heatsinks (primarily the OEMs but nowadays, some of the aftermarket) come with a patch of compound already applied.
Remove the protective plastic cover and install.

If your heatsink comes bare, there are two methods of applying the compound.

-Apply a rice grain size dab of paste in the middle of the chip, then install the sink. The mounting pressure will distribute the paste evenly.

-Apply a dab of paste on the chip and then use a razor blade or the side of a credit card to evenly spread a thin film over the entire surface of the CPU.
Install the heatsink.

I've used both methods and think it depends on the consistency of your compound.
With Arctic Silver 5- which is very stiff and thick- I prefer method #2.
Thinner pastes- like Ceramique- work well with method #1.

If you're unsure, try either method and run the PC for a day or two.
The heat cycling will help thin/spread the paste.
Remove the sink and see what kind of coverage you were getting.
If you have a full impression of the CPU heatspreader on the bottom of the sink, you were fine.

If not, you either need more paste or a different application method.
Or both.

Broken
01-15-2008, 05:27 AM
If you've never done it before, as said above, the heatsink will probably come with a thermal compound already pre-applied to it. If you are using the stock heatsink, I would recommend using the stock thermal compound.

I know people will say "stock compound is garbage!!", but it is important to remember that it's what the manufacture has determined is necessary to cool the CPU. They will say after-market solutions are "SOOOOO much better!". But in reality, the difference is negligible.

The most important thing is installing the heatsink properly to the processor. The newer Intel heatsinks with the pins are a little different, and I find people often miss install them and cause overheating. Just remember, push the pin all the way through the Mobo and it will pop out the underside. Turning the nob will release it from the Mobo. That it... believe it or not people mess that up a lot.

clocker
01-15-2008, 06:19 AM
The s775 retention system is the absolute pits.

Detale
01-15-2008, 07:56 AM
Honestly I am no Guru like Clocker but I myself have noticed a considerable difference in temps between stock and Arctic Silver 5, Like 10+ degrees difference.

Also please remember if it does have stock compound on it for the love of god remove the plastic cover.

Acid_death69
01-15-2008, 10:28 AM
Lol cheers fellas:) the CPU that im getting doesnt come with a fan lol it couldnt have been more clearer when i bought it off the site:p So yerr i had to get the blue orb II which i hear i very big:s

clocker
01-15-2008, 01:25 PM
The TT Blue Orb (which is a knockoff of the Zalman CNPS7700) does not come with thermal paste preapplied, so you'll have to do it yourself.
Presumably, they include some in the packaging.

optimus_prime
01-15-2008, 05:32 PM
people tend to over-apply paste, that's the fact :)
i spread paste with piece of paper on heatsink approximately where the cpu will be, filling all the tiny gaps as those are your targets. i also add hair thin layer on cpu. keep in mind paste is basically an insulator compared to metal so you want it in all those micro gaps where air would be without ruining your metal-to-metal contact.

Acid_death69
01-15-2008, 05:37 PM
Well ive done it, everything seems to be working alright. The heat sink was a bastard to fit i spent 30-45 minutes trying to fit it. it just would fit cos the springs are so strong:s Cpu fitted like a dream and so did the ram:) thanks for all your help.

Broken
01-15-2008, 05:49 PM
Honestly I am no Guru like Clocker but I myself have noticed a considerable difference in temps between stock and Arctic Silver 5, Like 10+ degrees difference.

Also please remember if it does have stock compound on it for the love of god remove the plastic cover.

You shouldn't of had that kind of difference. Maybe 4 degrees C is normal.
I'm thinking that maybe it was just a matter of re-seating the heatsink. That is, unless you where not using the heatsink/compound from AMD/Intel.

zapjb
01-15-2008, 09:03 PM
Difference is paste is made for noncritical or testing or nonpermanent rigs. And paste should be reapplied at least once a yr.

Thermal pads are meant as permanent solutions. And shouldn't be used on testing rigs. Rigs that are being assembled, reassembled. And can be left as is.

Detale
01-16-2008, 07:42 AM
The TT Blue Orb (which is a knockoff of the Zalman CNPS7700) does not come with thermal paste preapplied, so you'll have to do it yourself.
Presumably, they include some in the packaging.

I have the Blue ORb II and it's God damn huge! Works great and Looks cool as hell too Sure it's a knockoff but....it's blue. Check out the layout of your motherboard before you screw it down. You will have to remove your motherboard because to install the brackets you will need to screw them in from the backside of the MoBo. Some boards you won't have a prob with but some you will.make sure you install the Ram first and plug it in before you screw it down, on some boards you have to unscrew the whole thing to plug it in if you forgot ( Like I did twice). Also Mine didn't come with 5hit but I always keep some handy(they sell it in Radio Shack now). I first used this on my ASRock dual vsta 775 Mobo with little problem
http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/1545/insidelargeqb5.jpg

Excuse the crappy cabling job this was my first try. Now I have a Gigabyte Board and notice how close the ram slots are

http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/productimage/13-128-059-04.jpg

My ram sits under the fan so to remove that stick of ram I need to remove the Fan :(

You shouldn't of had that kind of difference. Maybe 4 degrees C is normal.
I'm thinking that maybe it was just a matter of re-seating the heatsink. That is, unless you where not using the heatsink/compound from AMD/Intel.

Very well might have been, also I got the new case( antec 900)at the same time and that could have had alot to do with it too. I wasn't testing really I just happened to notice.

Do I smell another Clocker test coming!!! I hope sooo :)

Broken
01-16-2008, 03:44 PM
Not a bad looking system, something to be proud of.
Surely beats anything you could have picked up and pulled out of a box.

Detale
01-17-2008, 01:25 AM
Thats my old one, I will take some pics of the new one when I get around to it.

Acid_death69
01-19-2008, 10:07 AM
Well i didnt have any problem fitting the brackets to the mother board i have a standard AM2 so i dont have to take the motherboard out. But what i did have a problem with was trying to get the heatsink in. I thought of installing the ram first and i glad i did:) part of the heat sink covers them. When i was trying to install the heat sink the little springs on the side are so strong i had to put my whole body wait on them to fit in the case. Did you have the problem Detale?