PDA

View Full Version : how can i limit access to control panel on XP pro ?

Giveaway
01-15-2008, 03:36 PM
hello
i want to limit my brother's account on xp.
we have 2 admin account and i want his one not to have access to control panel and other things (some program folders)
is there any way to do so (and similar things)?

please help :)

ps: at least i need that my bro cant change or delete my account password by the control panel..

Broken
01-15-2008, 04:07 PM
There is no way to limit access to the control panel on an administrator account that I know of, the idea of an administrator account is total control of the system.
There might be a program that can hide control panel, but it will still be accessible through "run" by just typing "control panel".

Giveaway
01-15-2008, 04:10 PM
There is no way to limit access to the control panel on an administrator account that I know of, the idea of an administrator account is total control of the system.
There might be a program that can hide control panel, but it will still be accessible through "run" by just typing "control panel".
what progam ? i cold try that

ps: at least i need that my bro cant change or delete my account password by the control panel..

Broken
01-15-2008, 04:18 PM
This (link) (http://www.winability.com/folderguard/restrict-control-panel.htm) isn't going to work if your brother has any computer skills at all, but you can try.
The thing to do is to move his account to a restricted one instead of administrator.

Giveaway
01-15-2008, 04:34 PM
This (link) (http://www.winability.com/folderguard/restrict-control-panel.htm) isn't going to work if your brother has any computer skills at all, but you can try.
The thing to do is to move his account to a restricted one instead of administrator.
yes but then he wont be able to install programs...

optimus_prime
01-15-2008, 05:35 PM
remove him from administrators :)

Broken
01-15-2008, 05:38 PM

:frusty:

optimus_prime
01-15-2008, 05:41 PM

meaning? :)

Giveaway
01-15-2008, 05:48 PM
if i did so he wouldnt be able to install programs!

optimus_prime
01-15-2008, 05:50 PM
yes he would, add him to power users, or some other group and make sure you give that group rights.

Broken
01-15-2008, 05:51 PM

meaning? :)

That's the best answer, and I suggested it above.
But... :frusty:

if i did so he wouldnt be able to install programs!

Then use Folder Guard. It just hides control panel.
Heck, spending 5 minutes with goggle he could probably find a way around it completely.

optimus_prime
01-15-2008, 05:59 PM
yeah, in fact i'm not sure what's whole discussion about.why would he change your password? just tell him not to touch your files deny him right to enter folder and set audit to inform you if he messed with it :)

Giveaway
01-15-2008, 06:10 PM
yes he would, add him to power users, or some other group and make sure you give that group rights.
how do i do that?

BLaZiN
01-15-2008, 06:25 PM
Only way for ur brother i would imagine to get to the control panel would be via the start menu - why not just arrange it so it doesnt show. Simple but effective maybe.....

Broken
01-15-2008, 06:26 PM
how do i do that?

There is only three types of accounts in xp; administrator, limited, and guest.
A limited account would have trouble installing some programs, and would need permission from the administrator. But they could still be installed.

If you are wanting to "mother" your brother on the computer, put him on a limited account. Otherwise, your options are limited.

optimus_prime
01-15-2008, 07:53 PM
how do i do that?
you would use control panel / administrative tools /computer management / local users and groups snap-in. there you'll see preinstalled groups like administrators/backup operators/power users/guests/ replicators... etc and you can add users to power users group as it sounds like what you want. you can change rules for each group in group policy (typing gpedit.msc in run) and local security policy snap-ins of your management console.

but having said that, being you don't how to do it, i'm really not sure if you should try to do it, as you could make a huge mess :)

you should probably rethink your problem, no need to lock control panel, if you just want to protect personal data from your brother it's better to use some form of encrypting like true-crypt. as broken rightly said, with user rights management, you can't restrict him access and giving him right to install EVERYTHING, it's just not possible.

Giveaway
01-15-2008, 08:31 PM
thank you both guys!!
ill see what to do

guys is true-crypt good to encript my whole account?

phaster
01-18-2008, 02:42 AM
What optimus_prime said...

IMO if you try to do anything other than removing him from administrators and setting up a local group policy youre going about it the wrong way. He could definitely still be able to install programs. You can do alot with local policies. Pick up a book that has some info about windows desktop administration, it might be useful for all kinds of things! good luck

Giveaway
01-18-2008, 02:17 PM
i just mad him power user.