PDA

View Full Version : My 1st giveaway turns into disaster

kostnkost
01-15-2008, 03:42 PM
Thought I was being nice by holding a giveaway contest for a WhatCD invite. The guy gave me 2 proofs as well as a speedtest(like that shit really matters).

I go to log on today, and BAM my account is disabled.

I guess you live and learn the hard way, but that will be the last time I do that again.

Swayne
01-15-2008, 03:44 PM
try to talk with staff and explain it to them

PirateEagle
01-15-2008, 03:44 PM
well everyone is learning on their mistakes next time be more careful who will u invite
and btw go to their IRC and talk with them ;)

jam0980tr
01-15-2008, 03:55 PM
This why people should not give invites out to the public, invite who u know!!
well i hope you learn frm your misstake and good luck getting it back.

Nemrod
01-15-2008, 03:57 PM
Welcome to the club.:(
Not more giveaways for me, never. If I see somebody wants an invite to a site and I have it, and if I know the guy, and after checking as deep as I can his background, only then IŽll give him/her an invite, and if the site allows it, IŽll be with an eye on him/her.

xurbia
01-15-2008, 03:58 PM
Same thing happened to me, disabled my account because i gave away invites here, which is against their rules apparently.

kostnkost
01-15-2008, 04:08 PM
Looks like it's Bah-Bye account. It seems as this is their policy, which I had no clue about.

I guess Waffles it is:dry:

fOrUmAs
01-15-2008, 04:25 PM
Thought I was being nice by holding a giveaway contest for a WhatCD invite. The guy gave me 2 proofs as well as a speedtest(like that shit really matters).

I guess you live and learn the hard way, but that will be the last time I do that again.

i really dont think that u have been disabled just because u invited some guy,what he could do in that short time?? also when u have give that invite that u think its was the reasone for your disabled acc??

mirceandr
01-15-2008, 04:26 PM
i inv someone to join i***Y and on 1.1.08 my acc was disabled( because he was a trader :[ )...be careful next time

mirceandr
01-15-2008, 04:27 PM
FST prob ... srry

Nemrod
01-15-2008, 04:29 PM

i really dont think that u have been disabled just because u invited some guy,what he could do in that short time?? also when u have give that invite that u think its was the reasone for your disabled acc??

Forumas, one day is more than enough... the guy I invited to BitMeTV was cought cheating in the very first day. And as I know his connection speed, no doubt about it.
But as Xurbia says, it seems like they are disabling accounts just for have been givenaway here or in any other invites sites.

magushun
01-15-2008, 04:51 PM
i rarely give away invites to who i dont know, last time my invitee got disabled in 18 secs, so im more cautious now...

burtz
01-15-2008, 04:54 PM

Forumas, one day is more than enough... the guy I invited to BitMeTV was cought cheating in the very first day. And as I know his connection speed, no doubt about it.
But as Xurbia says, it seems like they are disabling accounts just for have been givenaway here or in any other invites sites.

agree.

i, unfortunately, also invited a cheater into BitMe before. he did manage to upload, rather cheat, 80GB/day using 512kbps connection that he showed me in his speedtest.:( but i was totally new to all this private tracker thing then so even though i may never have my BitMe invites back, at least i've learned something.

angryghost
01-15-2008, 05:02 PM
Everyones had these experiences, inviting trader, cheater whatever. Thats why im never going to do public giveaways again. I invited a guy into TD and within a day, cheated to 60tb upload... lucky for me my account did not suffer.

Sanka113
01-15-2008, 05:10 PM
Sorry to hear that bud. I'm pretty sure someone will hook you up with another invite when they are open again.:)

stoi
01-15-2008, 05:10 PM
Im the owner of a tracker, and i gave someone an account on here. and in 2 days he cheated, as if we wouldnt have spotted him.

But if someone can do that to the owner of the tracker that got him in on good pretence, then i wouldnt trust anyone for an invite that i had to give on any site im afraid. because you never know what they will do.

angryghost
01-15-2008, 05:17 PM
Im the owner of a tracker, and i gave someone an account on here. and in 2 days he cheated, as if we wouldnt have spotted him.

damn stoi thats really poor judgment on your part then.... tricking the owner? damn that kids got skills:rolleyes:

Medooooo
01-15-2008, 05:21 PM
Guys we lost our accounts for offering them in public fourms .

Thats why not because we invite traders or cheatrs .

fOrUmAs
01-15-2008, 05:37 PM

well that is all guessing,also there are many reasones why he been disabled,and of course as u said it could be by cheating..

Guys we lost our accounts for offering them in public fourms .

Thats why not because we invite traders or cheatrs .

that could be one of the reasones,but that can be easily avoided,if u offering someone invite and u know from histroy of that site that u could be banned for offering invites on Public. its very simple u tell that guy not use same name that he have here on FST,also dont send invite instantly wait for hour or two or even more and then send invite..that way they cant catch u:)

Medooooo
01-15-2008, 05:55 PM
They already catch me :)
And when i ask them why they told me that i offering my inv in public fourms and i cant said im dont :D

And i respict that because they was very helpfull and listen to me dont kicking me out like other trackers MOD before i even talk .:angry:

slimdogp
01-15-2008, 06:15 PM
"We would like to take this opportunity to remind you, our dear users, that selling invites, trading invites, and giving invites away to random strangers is not tolerated, and any users found doing so will have their invites revoked, along with their entire invite trees. This is for the good of the entire community."

That it quoted from the news posting today (1/15). Maybe it was a bit harsh to start coming down on giveaway people without a little warning?

I'm just interested in the site gaining more productive peers to help make the site better :) I think they are making some good decisions about the expansion and the rules of the tracker. Too bad with all of the strict sites, there is some unneeded casualties along the way.

Medooooo
01-15-2008, 06:25 PM
"We would like to take this opportunity to remind you, our dear users, that selling invites, trading invites, and giving invites away to random strangers is not tolerated, and any users found doing so will have their invites revoked, along with their entire invite trees. This is for the good of the entire community."

That it quoted from the news posting today (1/15). Maybe it was a bit harsh to start coming down on giveaway people without a little warning?

I'm just interested in the site gaining more productive peers to help make the site better :) I think they are making some good decisions about the expansion and the rules of the tracker. Too bad with all of the strict sites, there is some unneeded casualties along the way.
Is there is any hope to get our accounts back (Its first time we know that rull) .:yup:

It will be very kindly from you.:)

Defy
01-15-2008, 06:28 PM
Really sorry to hear about your account... what sucks even more is that the good guys get screwed the hardest. :(

Actatoi
01-15-2008, 06:44 PM

Is there is any hope to get our accounts back (Its first time we know that rull) .:yup:

To both of you, they've had it in their rules since the invite system were enabled. It's not hard clicking the rules page and read you know.

If you don't believe me check out squirr3l's thread here at FST about getting banned on what.

jonny81985
01-15-2008, 06:47 PM
hmmm seems fishy, did u ever find out why u were disabled?? I would love to know because it doesnt seem like what.cd would ban people over a giveaway unless it was an undercover admin here at FST. An admin from what.cd not an admin here.

Let us know

Something Else
01-15-2008, 06:47 PM

Harsh...You can see why though I hope.
Time to remove the what-hugger from ur sig then eh. :naughty:

stoi
01-15-2008, 06:55 PM
all the rule says is you will have your invites revoked, not that you will get disabled for doing it.

so it may have been something else on top of giving away the invite, but im not a member over there so can only speculate.

bhovoi
01-15-2008, 06:57 PM
next time be carefull in choosing who your giving an invite..good luck in getting back your account..

-AdY-
01-15-2008, 06:57 PM
sorry man :( next time be careful..

slimdogp
01-15-2008, 07:01 PM

Were you asking me? :unsure: I am just a regular user at the site. My guess, is there any chance they will have leniency and give any account back? Probably not, theres no incentive for them to do so, they are already filled back up with eager new members.

ScreaminJay
01-15-2008, 07:03 PM
Partaking in the invite forums here is a good way to be banned on many sites... Sorry, but that is the truth.

Dark Archon
01-15-2008, 07:04 PM
How did they found out? You have the same username on whatcd as here?

DV8type
01-15-2008, 08:00 PM
Well you would think that with what happened to its predecessor people would be smarter than to invite unknown users
:/

$we
01-15-2008, 09:28 PM
ratio proofs can be forged. ratios can be cheated, if done furtively, on most sites. even if they weren't, there is no guarantee that the invitee will cherish their account. they may extort the site and its lenient rules.

i don't understand why you guys have the propensity to invite people you don't know anyway... i can think of some incentive, but i'd rather not say it, because everyone knows it and it really doesn't need to be said.

@dv8type: yeah, there is always that risk, but if people didn't take that risk, the site would not really grow. however, i for one appreciate and cherish torrenting-security over file-diversity.

i don't think i'm the only one who is starting to see the trend of torrent sites from a few large ones to many smaller ones; from a couple collectives of strangers, to many circles of friends. i think it is very possible for filesharing to be crushed into that state in the near future. unless that is if encryption improves and a new protocol is created :). ah the aspiration.

shygrrrl
01-16-2008, 12:26 AM
i don't understand why you guys have the propensity to invite people you don't know anyway... i can think of some incentive, but i'd rather not say it, because everyone knows it and it really doesn't need to be said.

I got some of my most-loved trackers by the kindness of virtual strangers. Sometimes I like to pay it forward.

Not everyone has connections; some users are trustworthy and just need a chance. I've been lucky at finding them so far. I hope I stay that way.

moh714
01-16-2008, 12:29 AM
good luck

t0mmy
01-16-2008, 12:41 AM
i guess i must have been lucky not to get disabled then :]

mrnobody
01-16-2008, 01:25 AM

if i had seen the thread i would have probably said, "what.cd does not allow invite giveaway and cd staffers monitor FST giveaway regularly" but now it's late...still maybe ring the bell for someone.

I hope you will learn from this mistake.

kapowcowpwned
01-16-2008, 01:29 AM
lol someone got pwnt

waffles ftl btw

mrnobody
01-16-2008, 01:34 AM

But if someone can do that to the owner of the tracker that got him in on good pretence, then i wouldnt trust anyone for an invite that i had to give on any site im afraid. because you never know what they will do.

sorry but i can't stop laughing :lol:

i think it's best example for how everyone gets fooled (owner of established tracker isn't exception himself). So i think there is something to learn from it: if you love a site, invite those whom you know and trust...it doesn't eliminate the risk but decreases it by lot!!

pandabear
01-16-2008, 02:35 AM
Its clearly in the rules, so by not following it, you just set yourself up for this kind of thing. And anyone saying oh, they should of issued an general announcement before they did this. Well its is expected that you read the rules of any site before you use it.

. If you are found selling invites or offering them in public, you'll lose your account.

$we
01-16-2008, 05:27 AM
I got some of my most-loved trackers by the kindness of virtual strangers. Sometimes I like to pay it forward. Yeah, i know one of the incentives is our innate disposition to engage in reciprocal altruism (in context: strangers to something for you, so you do something for strangers), but you have to realize the very real risk of that stranger being hostile towards the site and its users.
Not everyone has connections; some users are trustworthy and just need a chance. If only some users are trustworthy, then by selecting a person out of a pool of stranger you are rolling against the odds of inviting a productive, beneficent member. You have to realize that. The "needs" of a few strangers does not outweigh that truth. (Is joining, say, FSC, FTN, or even What.cd? truly a need? I don't think our definitions of need are homologous).

Even if most of the strangers asking for invites are trustworthy, the fact that even 1% of those users could be hostile is prudence enough to disengage in giving invites to strangers.

I care about the sites I use, and by giving invites to only my (IRL) friends, I am doing my part to ensure the purity of the site's userbase. To do otherwise is to sanction, even promote the opposite.

shygrrrl
01-16-2008, 06:19 AM
You must have different real life friends than I do. Mine either wouldn't know a torrent if it bit them in the butt or decide that it's too much work to make it worth it.

I don't make a habit of posting giveaway threads here, but I feel okay about giving invites to power users on the sites I'm on and other people in Internet-land who seem trustworthy enough for me to give my invites to. If they're good community members at site A, it seems reasonable to me that they would be good community members at site B.

We can agree to disagree. It's all good. :)

fsephie
01-16-2008, 06:47 AM
words

While it's perfectly all well and good to say that you only give invites to people in real life, that doesn't necessarily mean they'll be any better than someone online. They get your account banned, so are you not going to be friends anymore? It's just a torrent site at the very least and a nice forum to converse with people at the most.

And there are ways of knowing who you are giving invites to online without a complete veil of anonymity. Sure, you might be able to say that it's easier to go under false pretenses online than offline, but just take one look at the invite section and see how many people fail to at least make an attempt sounding like they don't care about tracker rarity. Either it takes a genuinely special individual to go under false pretenses or online users can be more genuine than for which you give them credit.

sense
01-16-2008, 07:05 AM
lol someone got pwnt

waffles ftl btw

Blue > Orange dude! :cool:

Well hopefully this is a learning experience for everyone, most sites do not condone giveaways on public forums such as FST. I would at least ask an admin and try to get permission beforehand next time.