PDA

View Full Version : Hidden Downloads/uploads?

basics
07-28-2003, 10:36 PM
i am using a program to monitor my uploads n downloads and just recently they have been saying they are higher than they actually are.yet i cant seem to find what else is up/downloading!

is there a program that will tell me which program is up/downloading and tell me what speeds they are doin so?

3rd gen noob
07-28-2003, 10:39 PM
netlimiter

callum
07-28-2003, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by 3rd gen noob@28 July 2003 - 23:39
netlimiter
I use netlimiter all the time, but I don't think it is very accurate as the speeds kazaa/bittorrent show can sometimes be totally different from the speeds netlimiter shows.
It could be kazaa/bittorrent showing the wrong speeds, but I don't think so.
It sounds like basics could already be using netlimiter.

basics
07-28-2003, 10:55 PM
what is netlimiter?

i am using DU meter, it basically tells u the speed of ur uploads/downloads.

im just trying to find out whats uploading and downloading on my pc even when kazaa isnt connected!

3rd gen noob
07-28-2003, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by callum@28 July 2003 - 23:52
I use netlimiter all the time, but I don't think it is very accurate as the speeds kazaa/bittorrent show can sometimes be totally different from the speeds netlimiter shows.
It could be kazaa/bittorrent showing the wrong speeds, but I don't think so.
It sounds like basics could already be using netlimiter.
yeah, netlimiter can be a little inaccurate

i ususally just stick with du meter, however, it doesn't allow program specific bandwidth monitoring

3rd gen noob
07-28-2003, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by basics@28 July 2003 - 23:55
what is netlimiter?

http://www.netlimiter.com

callum
07-28-2003, 10:58 PM
what is netlimiter?

im just trying to find out whats uploading and downloading on my pc even when kazaa isnt connected!
I copied this from the netlimiter help file.

NetLimiter is an internet traffic control tool designed for Win98/Win98 SE, WinME, WinNT4, Win2000 and WinXP. It is suited to monitor applications which access the internet and actively control their internet traffic. You can use NetLimiter to set (download/upload) speed limits for applications or even single connection. Simply, NetLimiter allows you to share your internet connection bandwidth among all applications running on your PC.

basics
07-28-2003, 11:02 PM
but will it tell me whats upoading/downloading without me knowing?

3rd gen noob
07-28-2003, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by basics@29 July 2003 - 00:02
but will it tell me whats upoading/downloading without me knowing?
yes

it'll give you a real time display of what apps are using your bandwidth

balamm
07-29-2003, 01:02 AM
what is netlimiter?

The speeds shown include searches, failed connections, overhead, and a lot of other stuff. Netlimiter and DU meter together will show totals weekly, monthly, projected, and so on.

The programs are actually fooled by netlimiter. I use emule but have a monthly cap so I can't allow huge uploads to run when I have nothing downloading. Netlimiter allows me to throttle and maintain the correct upload/download ratio without being kicked off the server. The emule program still report huge uploads and thinks the data is getting through but netlimiter doesn't allow it to actually upload all that data and waste my bandwidth. When I get sources, I uncap the speed to uploads untill my sources drop again.

basics
07-29-2003, 01:13 PM
this sounds like just the trick! thanx

since upgrading to the latsest version of kazaa-lite ive been having probs with download speeds and mysterious upload speeds with no apparent uploads, am gonna check it out with thisd program!

Dapadipz
07-29-2003, 02:18 PM
DUmeters good for me :D

Storm
07-29-2003, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by basics@28 July 2003 - 23:36
i am using a program to monitor my uploads n downloads and just recently they have been saying they are higher than they actually are.yet i cant seem to find what else is up/downloading!

is there a program that will tell me which program is up/downloading and tell me what speeds they are doin so?
well if ur dling from multiple ppl, dun 4get that ur also dlin info ABOUT the file itself, like how big the piece is, and where is is located in the file, use dat view 2 c how big ur dat file is compared 2 the size of jus the file itself......... ull c ur dling much more than jus the files themselves.......

Storm
07-29-2003, 06:12 PM
well if ur dling from multiple ppl, dun 4get that ur also dlin info ABOUT the file itself, like how big the piece is, and where is is located in the file, use dat view 2 c how big ur dat file is compared 2 the size of jus the file itself......... ull c ur dling much more than jus the files themselves.......