PDA

View Full Version : the time has come

aysomc
01-18-2008, 08:31 PM
to say goodbye to utorrent 1.6.1

i just had to update to 1.7.6, sct doesnt allow 1.6.1 anymore i guess. i thought it would be a few weeks or more before any trackers would trust 1.7.6 that much but i guess not. :(

Green Goblin
01-18-2008, 08:32 PM
also was very surprised at sct
forced to upgrade to 1.7.6 :(

thebazzla
01-18-2008, 08:46 PM
its like i said in other threads its either upgrade or choice another client

Zaxx
01-18-2008, 08:55 PM
Dunno what the big deal is...except for the ver number at the top of the window there's no noticeable difference from previous versions. What's everyone trippin on? :idunno:

Update and carry on d/ling. That's what I did (have always done) and am having zero problems.

sleepyy
01-18-2008, 08:57 PM
Big loss for me :( If was to change over to azueres could anyone recommend a good version or would the latest version do the job? has there been any problems similar to utorrent with azureres leaveing certain people not wanting to upgrade that client either?

pandabear
01-18-2008, 09:16 PM
I don't why everyone is making a big deal over this. Its just an upgrade to a better version.

fOrUmAs
01-18-2008, 09:22 PM
Big loss for me :( If was to change over to azueres could anyone recommend a good version or would the latest version do the job? has there been any problems similar to utorrent with azureres leaveing certain people not wanting to upgrade that client either?

why dont u do us a favor and leave torrent forever lol, this your little sad story sound exactly that...

i dont see why some of u see any reasone for that...u think that 161 is more secure than 176??

if u think that then its your big mistake

example why would i play xbox when i can play x360 its much better and got many more features than old one and this is same with utorrent...probably u will not use much longer 176 becuase new 1.8 version will be out soon so wft??

also u dont need to much just replace exe if u useing stable version..and all your torrent file will be fine..

i have also use before some time 161 but new version is better and more secure than others

mrnobody
01-18-2008, 09:28 PM
oh no =/

monk3y
01-18-2008, 09:37 PM
can people please open more threads about utorrent 1.7.6, i don't think there are enough of them ?!!?!??!?!?!?!?

Giveaway
01-18-2008, 09:58 PM
what happens if i use 1.61 on SCT?

broomhead
01-18-2008, 09:59 PM
they won't let you seed/download. The client is banned they don't allow any traffic from it.

whitmar
01-18-2008, 10:06 PM
I upgraded early this morning and it was totally painless. It even restarted itself immediately with no settings changes. I haven't noticed any difference in appearance or operation.

garherd
01-18-2008, 10:14 PM
I upgraded early this morning and it was totally painless. It even restarted itself immediately with no settings changes. I haven't noticed any difference in appearance or operation.

This version seems to use more system resources than the previous one.

sleepyy
01-18-2008, 10:15 PM

why dont u do us a favor and leave torrent forever lol, this your little sad story sound exactly that...

i dont see why some of u see any reasone for that...u think that 161 is more secure than 176??

if u think that then its your big mistake

example why would i play xbox when i can play x360 its much better and got many more features than old one and this is same with utorrent...probably u will not use much longer 176 becuase new 1.8 version will be out soon so wft??

also u dont need to much just replace exe if u useing stable version..and all your torrent file will be fine..

i have also use before some time 161 but new version is better and more secure than others

I only know from what people write and have just gone from that i would have no idea how to test it for myself how secure whatever version of what is so this is what i follow i have always thought 1.6.1 is more secure every little step i can take to prevent big bother i will take so for me it would be a big loss if your saying that newer versions are more secure and are stable and many people can confirm it i will go by that otherwise i have no other option than to change client it's not a sob story just my lack of experiance and skill showing.

BamZow
01-18-2008, 10:18 PM
A few minutes ago I made the update. It went without problem and it took just a few seconds.

kyrcer
01-18-2008, 10:25 PM
I change too old version.

sokrates
01-18-2008, 10:36 PM
I change too old version.

to the old banned versions?
well i always had a weird time out problem with 1.7.x versions i didnt have with 1.6.1.. some people have the problem others dont.. dunno why
lets hope 1.7.6 runs as 1.6.1.. but i dont think it will..

pandabear
01-19-2008, 02:38 AM
1.7.6>1.6.1 as simple as that. By not updating all you are doing is using older buggier clients.

rvt
01-19-2008, 06:01 PM
1.7.6>1.6.1 as simple as that. By not updating all you are doing is using older buggier clients.

:lol:

OK, try sending a 10,000 byte version string in the extended messaging to something like uT 1.7.2. Click the peers tab, wait 10 seconds, and watch uT be replaced by a crash report box.

Now try sending the same 10,000 byte string to 1.6.1 and watch it happily carry on running.

Newest is not always best.

Benja
01-19-2008, 06:05 PM
what happens if i use 1.61 on SCT?
ban like waffles gave me :(

pro267
01-19-2008, 06:15 PM
OK, try sending a 10,000 byte version string in the extended messaging to something like uT 1.7.2. Click the peers tab, wait 10 seconds, and watch uT be replaced by a crash report box.
Does anyone know what extended messaging is used for?
Are these extended messages passed between the peers themselves, and specifically, does utorrent accept extended messages from users not in the swarm?

If that is the case then the security issue is indeed quite severe.

messi30
01-19-2008, 06:18 PM
I am having problems with my seedbox, because it has utorrent 1.6.1

rvt
01-19-2008, 07:06 PM
Does anyone know what extended messaging is used for?
Are these extended messages passed between the peers themselves, and specifically, does utorrent accept extended messages from users not in the swarm?

If that is the case then the security issue is indeed quite severe.

It's an extension to the bittorrent protocol that allows them to send none standard messages about all kinds of extensions, from PEX to chat.

The messages are sent between peers.

The setup for extended messaging is done after the initial BT handshake, with bit 4 of the 5th byte in the reserved 8 bytes being set for extended messaging support. Once the BT handshake is done, you send the size of the packet as a 4 byte int, followed by char(20) and char(0) to represent an extended message handshake, then a dictionary. The dictionary contains an m entry which maps extensions to ID numbers, and possibly a p entry for port to send extended messages on and a v entry for version as a utf8 string.

An example:
d1:md11:LT_metadatai1e6:µT_PEXi2ee1:pi6881e1:v13:\xc2\xb5Torrent 1.2e

That maps LT_metadata plugin to ID 1, uT PEX to 2, the port to 6881 and the version to µTorrent 1.2

The messages can be sent by anyone who has completed the normal BT handshake. It would be someone that knows your port and IP as well as the hash, but that doesn't have to be someone in the swarm.

pro267
01-19-2008, 07:25 PM
Thank you for an excellent explanation, rvt!
The bug now seems less grave than it used to. The hash is 320bit long as far as I could tell and guessing it + matching against an IP/port pair seems somewhat difficult, which would probably make it unlikely for anyone from outside the swarm to use this to gain undesired access to it. If the problem is only feasible from peers already within the swarm, then at least the panic regarding MPAA/IRAA/choose-a-4-letter-initials getting into your computer or the swarm could be avoided.

rvt
01-19-2008, 08:03 PM
The extended messaging bug is not even related to the remote code exploit.
So the fear is definately overdone.

The POC code on milworm basically takes a torrent file as input and makes some changes to the announce URL. The big problem with that is that every single private tracker in existance and some public ones change the announce URL when you upload. The exploit is busted at the first step.
That's why nobody made much of a fuss about it 12 months ago.

So we have an old bug that affects 1.6.1 only if used to open a specially crafted torrent that was downloaded from a none private site, and a new bug that only affects versions after 1.6.x. If anything, it should be 1.7-1.7.5 that are banned, although I consider running a client that crashes every 10 minutes to be the users prerogative :P

grimms
01-19-2008, 08:16 PM
to say goodbye to utorrent 1.6.1

i just had to update to 1.7.6, sct doesnt allow 1.6.1 anymore i guess. i thought it would be a few weeks or more before any trackers would trust 1.7.6 that much but i guess not. :(

I feel your pain. Myspleen is the only tracker that has banned uTorrent 1.7.6.:(

Shinigami
01-19-2008, 08:35 PM
Problem makers...

Night0wl
01-19-2008, 09:13 PM

Azureus 2.5.0.4 (Last version without the Zudeo client)

http://filehippo.com/download_azureus/?2321

Cannot get it of official page anymore. They are also trying to force people to upgrade it seems

OmaRin0
01-19-2008, 09:19 PM
I don't why everyone is making a big deal over this. Its just an upgrade to a better version.

+1
i haven't notice that much difference between it and the 1.6 vestion!!:idunno: