PDA

View Full Version : Connection Problem

Adam1990
01-19-2008, 04:30 AM
Ever since I updated to the latest utorrent, it takes me over a minute to connect to anything. Firefox runs slow as hell for each page load and in games. In utorrent it takes a minute to connect to any peers, but once I do my connection runs at its normal capacity. Any ideas?

nsap
01-19-2008, 05:05 AM
Did you change anything, such as the number of connections it tries to open at one time?

Adam1990
01-19-2008, 05:08 AM
Nope.

nsap
01-19-2008, 06:26 PM
Well, I've heard of a lot of problems with 1.7.6 so I'm going to guess you're best bet would be to wait for another update.

fazzy07
01-19-2008, 06:32 PM
Yeah.. the time it takes to connect with peers is a little slow

peat moss
01-19-2008, 06:36 PM
Ya I noticed it too after the update but what are you going to do , Its more of a security update and your stuck .

FatBob
01-19-2008, 06:45 PM
Ya I noticed it too after the update but what are you going to do , Its more of a security update and your stuck .

no peat , i hope trackers will allow 1.6 soon

I've spent some time looking into this issue.

The POC code on milw0rm relies on creating a malicious torrent file which the uT user opens. On any sites without public uploads, or those that clean the uploaded torrents, there is no real problem.

Another issue mentioned on torrentfreak recently revolves around an overflow bug in extended messaging.
When an attacker sends a long enough string for version info, and the user views the peers tab, uT will crash.

1.6.x versions are not vulnerable to this attack, as they never display the version info obtained from extended messaging in the peers tab.
1.7.x are vulnerable.

Have not tested 1.8.x

1.6.x still has some life in it yet :P

:naughty:

Adam1990
01-19-2008, 08:47 PM
This thing really screwed up my computer. I switched back to 1.6.1 and it still cant connect to peers or update the tracker, when the tracker goes to update it times out every time. And no its not my firewall.

Actatoi
01-19-2008, 09:46 PM
TAnd no its not my firewall.

So you've re-added the rules in it? Just have to check since a friend of mine had a similiar problem and he had to do it and then it worked.

Adam1990
01-19-2008, 10:15 PM
TAnd no its not my firewall.

So you've re-added the rules in it? Just have to check since a friend of mine had a similiar problem and he had to do it and then it worked.

I uninstalled and reinstalled it.

saulin
01-19-2008, 10:19 PM
I was having a problem connecting too with the latest update. But I noticed that the port had changed in utorrent. I checked my router firewall settings and port forwarding settings and change the port in torrent to what it was before and it seems fine now.

I also noticed that some trackers don't work with the latest utorrent so I have two versions installed. The new one and the old one.

pro267
01-19-2008, 10:25 PM
Ever since I updated to the latest utorrent, it takes me over a minute to connect to anything. Firefox runs slow as hell for each page load and in games. In utorrent it takes a minute to connect to any peers, but once I do my connection runs at its normal capacity. Any ideas?
I would most definitely run a couple of anti-spyware apps, an AV and a rootkit detector, just in case. I've read several reports that badly written spyware apps were hogging bandwidth and even crashing browsers.

Adam1990
01-19-2008, 10:30 PM
No its not spyware, I have eset smart security updated and running. Also my net works fine when I close utorrent.

Enlightened
01-19-2008, 10:46 PM
For what is worth, I just "ditch" uTorrent 1.7.6, and moved most of Download to azueus V3.4.02. I just used utorrent 1.61 where other trackers or sites that permits it/
That F**kin V1.7.06, slows my PC quite alot, I have a P4, Hyperthreading
Downloading SCT w/azueus.....No problem.best of all, my PC is Zoom !! zoom !!

DannyGnXz
01-19-2008, 11:39 PM
1.7.6 slows down my internet connection also...

For example, open ie or firefox for the first time and the browser pops up but there is a delay on the web page opening. Only utorrent 1.7.6 running. Machine is clean.

Enlightened
01-19-2008, 11:50 PM
1.7.6 slows down my internet connection also...

For example, open ie or firefox for the first time and the browser pops up but there is a delay on the web page opening. Only utorrent 1.7.6 running. Machine is clean.

Yep, on Top of that too..forgot to mention.:(:(:(