PDA

View Full Version : What is most important about trackers?

pro267
01-19-2008, 04:06 PM
What do you consider to be the most important thing in a tracker?

The thread is quite straightforward and anonymous, in hopes that everyone will answer truthfully.
For those who feel like it, I would also like to hear your thoughts on the matter, provided they're not one-liners.

Shinigami
01-19-2008, 04:12 PM
Content, speed, friendly staff in that order :P

MARINE619
01-19-2008, 04:15 PM
Speed Pretimes Content Design:P

SenorBubbz
01-19-2008, 04:16 PM
I'd say Speed, friendly staff, content and IRC, in that order :D

aysomc
01-19-2008, 04:22 PM
forums, friendly staff, content in that order.

Enzo
01-19-2008, 04:25 PM
Staff and content

kostnkost
01-19-2008, 04:28 PM
Speed is numero uno for me. You could pretty much find anything on the trackers I have down below, so content is not a big deal.

Maybe it's my New York mentality where I want results right then and there, and not have to wait. Thats just me though.

Hammas
01-19-2008, 04:29 PM
1. content
2. speed
3. security

I don't care about pretimes or rarity

peat moss
01-19-2008, 04:35 PM
Content is more important than speed for me , used Dial up for many years before cable so must have taught me patience .

burtz
01-19-2008, 04:38 PM
content, number of peers, community & staff big bonus if design is neat. :D

PirateEagle
01-19-2008, 04:40 PM
community and friendly staff and content ;)

VIZFX
01-19-2008, 04:41 PM
Its the size the matters! Nah, for me its about the content and the way they treat their members.

fsephie
01-19-2008, 04:44 PM
Some of these I would rank equally, so...

security
community//friendly staff
content
speed

Though usually all five of those tend to cause each other in some way :).

shijo
01-19-2008, 04:45 PM
1 content
2 speed
3 nice staff
4 community
it is not that hard to imagine

lostdemon
01-19-2008, 04:48 PM
Speed, pretime non of that really matters to me believe it or not as long as its not public tracker slow. This being the first forum I'm a member of I really like it and will start looking for that first since I can basically get the tv shows and movies I want from anywhere else. But laughter in a forum is priceless and thats what keeps me coming back

http://www.nighthawkshockey.com/images/priceless01.jpg

gan.nez
01-19-2008, 04:49 PM
1 content
2 speed
3 nice staff
4 community
it is not that hard to imagine

totally agree with that

asoto
01-19-2008, 04:49 PM
Speed and community ;)

Horatiu
01-19-2008, 04:53 PM
Wasn't there another thread a few days ago about this?
Anyway:
1. Content
2. Design
3. Speed

styles
01-19-2008, 04:58 PM
Once I thought contents must be first,But for me,Most of Oday tracker has the same content except some packs,You can find what you need mostly,For other stuff,I prefer specialized tracker(Like music,movie)
Everyone just make it important of speed,That's for sure,as well as I do,But more importantly is community,Friend and kindly staff,that's more attract for me,It makes me warm,and feeling like the home.

FatBob
01-19-2008, 05:09 PM
content and speed

why do i use a torrent site ? to download stuffs i want :)

C-mos
01-19-2008, 05:11 PM
i think speed ,content and friendly staff:)

DyNast
01-19-2008, 05:40 PM
Content takes my vote!
I don't mind waiting for some time till I get the thing which I desire, I'm an ex-emule user so I have patience :)

Every time I get to a new tracker which has a new content to offer me (specialized trackers, or just good trackers with a big variety and selection of torrents, I feel satisfied

Therefore, I'm in a constant search of a few trackers, doesn't matter which, that can offer me a new kind of torrents (non-scene for example) and I'm usually not interested in another regular 0-day tracker with no, let's say, uniqueness :)

I really don't give a shit of pretimes, I usually don't wait to any release, and just pick them up while browsing the torrents, or just search for this torrent when I need it (I never had a situation were I needed a torrent which hasn't been uploaded yet and got to the tracker a long time after... at least I can't remember a situation like that)

Speed is also a factor, but, as I said, it's not the main one
I enjoy high speeds, but sometimes I add a torrent to my client which I would probably use it in a week\month\x time after it has been snatched

Design, yea, I would also like the tracker to have a nice and pleasant design
The design usually gives me a first impression of the tracker, and also attracts me to use it (if it's a good design, of course)
I would always like to have a nice design in the tracker I use, it's just nicer that way

That's a nice poll, I like it :)

KinkyAfro
01-19-2008, 05:57 PM
Picked rarity but content is close contender. I wouldn't not use a tracker because it isn't rare but I like feeling a bit more private about what i download which is why I value rarity.

pro267
01-19-2008, 06:01 PM
Got some excellent and detailed responses such as the one DyNast post. Hopefully will get more of these.

I find the result of the poll so far to be quite interesting. Was expecting content and speed to be up there at the top, but was rather shocked so few care about security issues, as for me that was right up there with the forums.

Edit: thank you KinkyAfro for your honesty. I was wondering who'll be the first person with enough integrity to admit caring about rarity.

peat moss
01-19-2008, 06:22 PM
Got some excellent and detailed responses such as the one DyNast post. Hopefully will get more of these.

I find the result of the poll so far to be quite interesting. Was expecting content and speed to be up there at the top, but was rather shocked so few care about security issues, as for me that was right up there with the forums.

Edit: thank you KinkyAfro for your honesty. I was wondering who'll be the first person with enough integrity to admit caring about rarity.

I was surprised about the members and good staff comments as I rarely post in forums on trackers other than helping thru pm if some ask . Mabye I'm missing something and should check it out more .

JohnDoe
01-19-2008, 08:51 PM
Content, forums, friendly staff

eyeb4ll
01-19-2008, 10:18 PM
security
content
speed
and a nice and friendly forum.

0Ri0N
01-19-2008, 10:32 PM
Content for me, speeds help when we have rush.
Similar poll here:

http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-bittorrent-43/t-whats-most-important-thing-private-tracker-206344

pro267
01-19-2008, 10:49 PM
I missed your poll 0Ri0N when searching the forums, and it does seem somewhat similar although it was conducted ~6 months ago. Thank you for the pointer, and in fact it may be quite interesting to see how views of members have changed during that period.

Night0wl
01-19-2008, 11:02 PM
I have to say content as well. If it wasn't for the content being different, I would be quite content with one tracker for movies, one for music etc.

Friendly staff and community come as close second and third though as well as security i.e knowing I won't get threatening letters for upping something. There aren't that many good trackers that would allow me to up with my measly up speed, which hopefully is subject to change.

kaffeine
01-19-2008, 11:35 PM
For me, security is top priority. then the forums (and friendly staff :P).

User19
01-19-2008, 11:37 PM
Security

Zaxx
01-19-2008, 11:39 PM
The results say it all...content content content (and community!!) ;)

`Dr. Nick Riviera`
01-19-2008, 11:41 PM
Content - design - speed
^for me... ^^

TheFoX
01-20-2008, 12:10 AM
I was surprised that Community wasn't actually one of the options, but never mind.

For me it is security. This is not just about being low key, but also how resilient a site is against hacks and other sundry childishness. After all, too many databases have been stolen recently, many with passwords stored as plain text.

pro267
01-20-2008, 12:20 AM
I was surprised that Community wasn't actually one of the options, but never mind.
That was intentional. I had a hunch that if I put in the magic word "community" everyone and their sisters would jump on that option, so I decided to split that option to forums, IRC and friendly staff.

For me it is security. This is not just about being low key, but also how resilient a site is against hacks and other sundry childishness. After all, too many databases have been stolen recently, many with passwords stored as plain text.
I couldn't agree more, and as I said earlier I was surprised at the low number of votes that option got, although since then it seems to be (again, magically) gaining up on the rest.

SAM
01-20-2008, 02:54 AM
i say
1-community
community will be number one priority , cause as long as there are good members and active ones . you can get whatever content you want and in good communities people seed for long periods not to mention they always fulfill your requests fast
so actually having good community can cover content and speed in a way .

2-friendly staff
community and friendly staff are connected -in my opinion- , in order to maintain a good community you need a friendly and good staff with it .

3-content
it's vital also to have a good content as we talking here about torrent sites .

4-speed

don't care that much about speed . if the content is good and people are nice
i can wait .no problem

TP635
01-20-2008, 03:02 AM
Content comes first to me: Even if I have a fast connection (which I don't at the moment). speed means nothing if there is nothing or little choice in term of content. Who wants to be a member of a tracker which have only 100 torrent but a garanteed speed of 1gig per sec?

Pretime: For most people who can wait, pretime does not mean much. For me I dl mostly older stuffs, but people who care about pretime are those who have the speed.

Rarity: If this refer to content's rarity, then yes it is important to me cos I tends to go for older stuffs. but if its refer to the tracker being rare, then I am not to keen about it and it does not make a tracker more actractive to me.

IRC: This one I have no idea how it works; I don't even want to go there ......and I though it only for those who wants invite or bagging the staff to reinstated their banned account:D

Design: as long as I can navigate the site design to me is not important. The basic features of a good tracker must all be there.

Staffs: You will find some jerks but mostly good people as staff in most trackers. Staffs are not paid to do the job. They are there on their on time, and many time they are under some form of pressure. All members of any tackers would like friendly staffs. Just advoid dealing with those you consider 'bad'.

Security: Where I come from, it does not really matter.

Speed: If you your max dl speed is 30kB/s, speed is the last think you consider important. I have a torrent that I am still dling that will take me another 2 weeks to finish and I have been on it for 2 weeks:frusty:

predateur
01-20-2008, 03:04 AM
#Content
#speed
all other i dont care at all

serialkiller
01-20-2008, 03:07 AM
Forums
Content
Speed
Design

supper
01-20-2008, 03:12 AM
can any one clear plz what do u mean by Security here i mean why i should care about Security i dont mean any thing relly i am just trying to understand here ?

if i still can vote

contents

speed

Friendly staff

forum

i say
1-community
community will be number one priority , cause as long as there are good members and active ones . you can get whatever content you want and in good communities people seed for long periods not to mention they always fulfill your requests fast

2-friendly staff
community and friendly staff are connected -in my opinion- , in order to maintain a good community you need a friendly and good staff with it .

3-content

4-speed

i can wait .no problemtry yahoo chat rooms

SAM
01-20-2008, 03:36 AM
i dunno why you people hate the idea of good community .
i mean, should we all be assholes to enter torrent sites.
should i be rude and insensitive like some to get what i want ?
must i trade like a maniac to get what i want ?
i like torrents and i like having friends too and some trackers out there gives me both so why not i join them .
i f you are mad cause you can't get in them .
well , i wonder why ?

fazzy07
01-20-2008, 03:38 AM
Content, speed and easy on eyes

supper
01-20-2008, 03:45 AM
i dunno why you people hate the idea of good community .
i mean, should we all be assholes to enter torrent sites.
should i be rude and insensitive like some to get what i want ?
must i trade like a maniac to get what i want ?
i like torrents and i like having friends too and some trackers out there gives me both so why not i join them .
i f you are mad cause you can't get in them .
well , i wonder why ?oh did i hurt u? :( i am relly sorry ur post seem to me like u need yahoo massanger more then torrent site

any way u are good person i am the bad guy

yes i am very very very mad coz u have trackers more then me i am dieing here just keep going dude

SAM
01-20-2008, 03:54 AM
mate,
this way of discussing issues won't take us any where .
you like to trade and i don't
what's the problem ?
i'm not asking you to stop and don't ask me to change the way i'm looking at things.
as i said i like community based trackers , i dunno what's wrong with that ?
i know many people use it as an excuse to get into high level trackers - whatever this suppose to mean - but don't include me with them .
i have all the trackers i need and i'm not looking for more .
i wish you the best :)

supper
01-20-2008, 04:01 AM
mate,
this way of discussing issues won't take us any where .
you like to trade and i don't
what's the problem ?
i'm not asking you to stop and don't ask me to change the way i'm looking at things.
as i said i like community based trackers , i dunno what's wrong with that ?
i know many people use it as an excuse to get into high level trackers - whatever this suppose to mean - but don't include me with them .
i have all the trackers i need and i'm not looking for more .
i wish you the best :):unsure:who is talking here about tradeing and anti tradeing here i just said u seem to me relly friendly like u prefer the community more then the contents and the speed so i tought any chat program will help u more but i gusse u got me wrong dude btw congratz on ur F*N invite nice job i hope to see u active there:)

cya:wave:

SAM
01-20-2008, 04:05 AM
you are good in playing with words :D
thanks for recommending me yahoo messenger :D
you know , i totally forgot about it
i spent many years blind , thank you for let me see the light ;)

supper
01-20-2008, 04:06 AM
you are good in playing with words :D
thanks for recommending me yahoo messenger :D
you know , i totally forgot about it
i spent many years blind , thank you for let me see the light ;)np any time :)

Grind$oFine
01-20-2008, 04:18 AM
If a site could only have one of the features listed, it could only survive if it had good content or a good community to keep people there.

Speed, design, security, staff, pre-times, etc, are all just pluses. They couldn't survive alone.

predateur
01-20-2008, 04:32 AM
i say
1-community

2-friendly staff

3-content

4-speed

i can wait .no problem

SnowTigers has not forums or *Community* what do you think about it?
i guess you can never been member there lol (not because French ;) )

grimms
01-20-2008, 04:52 AM
Security and Content. I think a great mix of rarity with great content is what makes a tracker popular. A great forum community will make the tracker priceless. I love a friendly environment on top of an already excellent site. Could care less about pre-time. It's great to have but not as important as great content.

pro267
01-20-2008, 08:04 AM
Rarity: If this refer to content's rarity, then yes it is important to me
Just to make it clear, I was referring to to the difficulty of attaining an invitation to a site.

can any one clear plz what do u mean by Security here i mean why i should care about Security i dont mean any thing relly i am just trying to understand here ?
By Security I mean how safe is the tracker and its members are while using it, including:
What are the chances of the tracker being targeted by authorities?
How well written is the site and tracker code? Were security issues (SQL injection for example) properly addressed?
What effort does the tracker do to protect its members' information (e.g: does a tracker properly encrypt passwords? Are user passwords stored on the tracker? Will a raid of authorities on the tracker compromise its members?)
Is there support for encrypted connections to site?

I hope this answers your question. As you can see, the definition of "Security" is very wide in my opinion. I would have probably added a few more items to that list if I wasn't in a hurry.

Neszton
01-20-2008, 08:06 AM
In my opinion speed, friendly staff, pretimes and the forums.

lsw0794
01-20-2008, 09:35 AM
peers and speed

supper
01-20-2008, 02:30 PM
Just to make it clear, I was referring to to the difficulty of attaining an invitation to a site.

By Security I mean how safe is the tracker and its members are while using it, including:
What are the chances of the tracker being targeted by authorities?
How well written is the site and tracker code? Were security issues (SQL injection for example) properly addressed?
What effort does the tracker do to protect its members' information (e.g: does a tracker properly encrypt passwords? Are user passwords stored on the tracker? Will a raid of authorities on the tracker compromise its members?)
Is there support for encrypted connections to site?

I hope this answers your question. As you can see, the definition of "Security" is very wide in my opinion. I would have probably added a few more items to that list if I wasn't in a hurry.its clear for my now thank you i think this happend in hdbits before there was security issues if i am not wrong and this made me lost my email with some accounts too so yes i think security is very important in that way

pro267
01-22-2008, 10:27 PM
Ok, the poll is closed.
Very interesting results. The majority of users seem to be interested in the content of the trackers, and none of them seem to care that much about the IRC (no votes and only 2 posts mentioned it, one of which was in a negative context).

As I explained earlier, I deliberately chose to exclude the "community" option from the poll as that would have drawn many votes just because of the buzz around the word "community". I've included the Forums, IRC and Friendly Staff options to try and replace that and all 3 options together got less than 8%. Of course, a community is much more than the combination of these 3 factors (there are bonds, atmosphere etc.), but still I would have expected community oriented people to be more inclined to vote for one of these options. The lack of votes there is a good indication that most users are indeed not interested in communities.

The 2nd most important option according to the poll is Security, with 13.5% of the votes. I find that very encouraging, as I think many times security is overlooked, and in the post Oink torrent-world, I believe Security is one of the most important aspects of file sharing.

It would've been great if I could do a complete comparison of the results with those of a previous poll made by 0Ri0N about 6 months ago, but unfortunately some of the metrics differ and it seems that he allowed multiple answers to the poll whereas I only allowed a single answer, which makes it very hard to compare between the two. One thing that is worth mentioning in this regard is that in the previous poll, Speed was found to be the most important factor, while in this poll it only got to 3rd place with 12.36% of the votes. One explanation would be that people are becoming less and less bothered by speed, but a more probable explanation would be that people are still quite interested in speed but usually it's not the most important thing for them - that's why Speed got a very high number of votes in a multiple answers poll and only managed 3rd place in a single answer poll.

Anyway, I would like to thank all the people that participated in the poll. :)

hijump
01-22-2008, 10:36 PM
1. Pre
2. Content
3. Staff

cjyes
01-22-2008, 11:12 PM
content is the keypoint

barral01
01-22-2008, 11:27 PM
Content and speed.

stoi
01-22-2008, 11:47 PM
im only a member of BCG so sort of lived in a cave when it comes to other trackers.

but for me it all depends on the type of tracker.

Some sort of half decent community but it doesnt have to be 3000 posts a day in the forums.

Most staff are friendly anyway, its only if you do something wrong you think they are an ass.

design = you cant please everyone all the time, some may like it, others hate it, so that doesnt realy bother me that much.

rarity= what the hell is this anyway, im still confused lol

ppl say there isnt a lot of demand for a tracker, so it shouldnt go up, but then it hasnt got invites or open signups and they come down hard on trading. so hmm im not surprised there isnt a lot of demand for it.

so no rarity doesnt bother me at all.

0 day tracker = pre times

an everything tracker = content

specialized tracker = content

A brand new tracker = security (as in tracker side, db secure etc) but then you never know if it is, even if the owner says it is, it still might have a lot of holes.

A well established tracker probably has most holes secured, or should have if they have lasted a while.

Giveaway
01-23-2008, 01:20 PM
staff + content + Security

Cyclops
01-23-2008, 01:29 PM
what's a tracker with bad speed and content ?!

Giveaway
01-23-2008, 02:52 PM
what's a tracker with bad speed and content ?!
every new one :P

mirceandr
01-23-2008, 08:55 PM
content ,then design ,then forums and finally security :)

yozshura
01-23-2008, 11:51 PM
To me it is: Content >>> Speed > Design/Usability