PDA

View Full Version : Ace Torrents

Definite
01-20-2008, 09:45 AM
I just got into Ace Torrents; is it any good? I did a search and looked into the tracker review thread, but it didn't tell me much.

monk3y
01-20-2008, 09:47 AM
well as an 0day site it's quite nice although speeds and pre times aren't as good as other sites.

Definite
01-20-2008, 09:49 AM
I'm actually downloading at max speed as we speak, planning to upload lots and lots over the next few days if it turns I wanna keep using this tracker.

How does its content compare to say, TB or Bitsoup?

fstokebanget
01-20-2008, 10:03 AM
TB has better speed than AceTorrents

Daniel
01-20-2008, 11:09 AM
You can't compare those trackers with each other. AceT has 6.5k users, TB 60k and BitSoup 105k (or something like that).

AceT has been a cozy, quiet and small tracker for a long time and I don't believe open signups will do much to change that. I was a regular customer of theirs because they had pretty good music collections but that has changed too :(

zxcv
01-20-2008, 01:14 PM
I like acetorrents, the speed is very good. I'ts underrated.

Razrak
01-20-2008, 01:56 PM
What's TB stand for?

fOrUmAs
01-20-2008, 02:07 PM
TB has better speed than AceTorrents

well TB have more than 60K members,Ace have just over 6K members..so many members from TB have SB so its the speed better,but i cant say that Ace is slow..its almost the same speed for me:)

but sure TB have much better pretime than Ace atm

Tanuki
07-23-2008, 05:29 PM
but sure TB have much better pretime than Ace atm Better pre-times than Ace? Perhaps. Much better pre-times? I really doubt it. Pre-times in lower minute or even second range can be beaten, but hardly by much. :-D

Duckater
07-23-2008, 09:13 PM
Last time I was in a tracer channel (a few weeks back) Ace was not the slowest by far and some times beat scc and sct on pre times and people think that slow.....
erm ok if thats slow could some one please tell me what fast is :)

Nemrod
07-23-2008, 09:23 PM
Itīs a good and honest tracker. I like it very much.
Staff is very kind and they have a decent collection of releases, seed bonus, lots of freeleech, and other goodies. Speeds are not the best and pre-times either, but are not the worst either.
By the way... a good member of FST has won the Lottery at AceTorrents. Congrats. :clap:

SgtMajor
07-23-2008, 09:32 PM
6 month bump, noice :D

/me checks lottery, nope me not winner <again>!

deadalive1
07-23-2008, 09:44 PM
/ SgtMajor checks lottery, nope me not winner <again>!
Wasn't me either lol :P dammit

calogero
07-23-2008, 09:53 PM
but sure TB have much better pretime than Ace atm Better pre-times than Ace? Perhaps. Much better pre-times? I really doubt it. Pre-times in lower minute or even second range can be beaten, but hardly by much. :-D

Keep trolling for your tracker. Now I've heard of it, so I guess it's working.

Tanuki
07-23-2008, 10:11 PM
Last time I was in a tracer channel (a few weeks back) Ace was not the slowest by far and some times beat scc and sct on pre times and people think that slow.....
erm ok if thats slow could some one please tell me what fast is :)

Duckater, those people actually had a point. AceT wasn't the fastest for quite some time. And the number of new torrents we were able to provide were far from impressive. But things change, so did we. Approximately 6 weeks ago we had some internal 'upgrades', which tremendously improved our speed and our range of new torrents. And believe me, we are working hard to improve our speed even more. :D

Itīs a good and honest tracker. I like it very much.
Staff is very kind and they have a decent collection of releases, seed bonus, lots of freeleech, and other goodies. Speeds are not the best and pre-times either, but are not the worst either.
By the way... a good member of FST has won the Lottery at AceTorrents. Congrats. :clap:

Hi Nemrod, little update. Our staff is still of the very kind variety, but seed bonus is gone and we reduce our freeleech a bit. Hey, sometimes I had the feeling we were a public ftp server. ;) This might be seen as the not so enjoyable changes, but did you check our speeds and pre-times lately? :D

fOrUmAs
07-23-2008, 10:18 PM
Ahh there is nothing better than see old thread...

well Ace is good but atm maybe 10-15 torrent are uploaded per day and that really is not so great and maybe a little more leechers would be good too

Tanuki
07-23-2008, 10:34 PM

well Ace is good but atm maybe 10-15 torrent are uploaded per day and that really is not so great and maybe a little more leechers would be good too

True 10-15 is not so good. But we also had days with ~60 new torrents. We are working on it. And I must say the last weeks the general supply of interesting new stuff was a bit limited. Damn season breaks. More leechers....yep this is our weak point. As I mentioned before we dropped our seeding bonus. This my sound strange, but by making it harder to keep a good ratio, we hope to encourage better seeding. Additionally we are working to improve our member base. We are now strictly invite only. We experimented a bit with open periods, but we were very disappointed with the results. Don't expect open registration times any time soon. Or, what is more likely, don't expect them at all. We currently have ~7k members. A good deal away from the 'big guns', but were are growing. :D

fOrUmAs
07-23-2008, 10:42 PM

True 10-15 is not so good. But we also had days with ~60 new torrents. We are working on it. And I must say the last weeks the general supply of interesting new stuff was a bit limited. Damn season breaks. More leechers....yep this is our weak point. As I mentioned before we dropped our seeding bonus. This my sound strange, but by making it harder to keep a good ratio, we hope to encourage better seeding. Additionally we are working to improve our member base. We are now strictly invite only. We experimented a bit with open periods, but we were very disappointed with the results. Don't expect open registration times any time soon. Or, what is more likely, don't expect them at all. We currently have ~7k members. A good deal away from the 'big guns', but were are growing. :D

yea of course there was days when there been uploaded many more than just 15 per day but in general it is abouth that number..

yea i know u disabled seedbonus but there are also Irc bonus (15MB per 15 min) if i remember good,so maybe there also to cut a bit of Irc bonus would help..

yea that is true,open signups are not so great and its good that is invite only..

but anyway i hope to see much better days with Ace;)

Tanuki
07-23-2008, 10:56 PM
yea i know u disabled seedbonus but there are also Irc bonus (15MB per 15 min) if i remember good,so maybe there also to cut a bit of Irc bonus would help..

but anyway i hope to see much better days with Ace
We are actually thinking about dropping the irc bonus. Probably not today or tomorrow, it is never good to change too many parameters in an experiment at the same time. First we want to evaluate what the result of our removal of our seed bonus is.

And thanks for your friendly wishes. With our late improvements, not only technical improvements, but also personnel improvements, we got some new and very dedicated staff members a few days ago, I think we are on a very good way.

fr3x3r
07-24-2008, 01:57 AM
Hmm.. I think..

AT's great 0day tracker

lukee
07-24-2008, 02:23 AM
This my sound strange, but by making it harder to keep a good ratio, we hope to encourage better seeding.

completely retarded. more members=more peers=easier to seed=more interrst in your tracker=more support=more donations=more money in your pocket. theres nothing i hate more than newly created trackers that think they are elite because their member limit is <10,000 and they hide their url. (FTN, FTWR, FSC, UK-T are the only exceptions because they have been around for quite awhile and have gained respect)

respawn40
07-24-2008, 02:41 AM
IIRC, Ace Torrents isn't "new".

Duckater
07-24-2008, 09:06 AM
This my sound strange, but by making it harder to keep a good ratio, we hope to encourage better seeding.

completely retarded. more members=more peers=easier to seed=more interrst in your tracker=more support=more donations=more money in your pocket. theres nothing i hate more than newly created trackers that think they are elite because their member limit is <10,000 and they hide their url. (FTN, FTWR, FSC, UK-T are the only exceptions because they have been around for quite awhile and have gained respect)

PMSL newly created tracker :lol:
I been on ace for over 90 weeks :D
So you not long heard about it, maybe that is due to the fact they wanted to keep out of the lime light and if so have managed to do that well :)

So maybe you should re-think your policies on posting things in forums about sites you have little or no knowledge of :)

Legion
07-24-2008, 09:55 AM
AceTorrents is just your average tracker...I could even go saying it's below average imo. But, anyhow, there are less and less general trackers out there that impress me.

mievmo
07-24-2008, 11:04 AM
AT is ok.. not bad.

deadalive1
07-24-2008, 05:04 PM
Nothing wrong with Ace, to the newer user it is awesome to the more experienced user it is average at best.

hungry
07-25-2008, 03:16 AM
ummm.
i don't know ㅜㅜ

markupmaster
07-25-2008, 04:30 AM
If you like it and find it useful,Then that's all that matters.

:)

JROQuinn
07-25-2008, 04:39 AM
6 month bump, noice :D

/ me checks lottery, nope me not winner <again>!

It was me!!!

Last Lottery1 Winner Last Lottery Winner JROQuinn Last Amount Won437.11 GB

:D

I still use it occasionally, last resort before checking demonoid

sky66high
09-03-2008, 02:39 AM
I have heard that Acetorrents is good. But the sign up is 'invite only'. How do a newbie like me do that?

1000possibleclaws
09-03-2008, 02:51 AM
I have heard that Acetorrents is good. But the sign up is 'invite only'. How do a newbie like me do that?

After you've been a member here for a month you'll be able to use the BTT invites forum where you can make a request for that tracker.

sky66high
09-03-2008, 05:51 PM
Thanks for that info. I will follow your advise and wait for the right moment.

Tanuki
09-09-2008, 06:53 PM
AceT also has an invite channel. If you can find it. Endure the heat of a very painful interrogation. Agree to sell your and your families souls to me. You might have a slim chance to get an invite. :-D

CandyMan9999
09-09-2008, 07:00 PM
i like acetorrents ..because they have good preetime when it comes to tv shows..

adleos
04-22-2009, 03:20 PM
I love acetorrents. However, today I was banned from it, just after having received on last Sunday a PM telling me that I would be banned in 2 weeks time if my ratio wasn't above 0,5. So just after 5 days I am banned, with a ratio of nearly 0,5 (last time I checked it was 0,486), having seeded everything, as it says on the rules, for at least 48hours (most things you seed don't have any leechers) and having a COPS megapack uploading at full speed.
So, brilliant site, but a bit extreme when enforcing their own rules and their own terms... Is it my fault that nobody downloads what I have to seed??

I am sorry I posted this here, but it's the only place I think someone from acetorrents will read it, since I cannot access their IRC channel.

Tanuki
04-22-2009, 03:43 PM
Cry me a river, adleos. I just checked you profile. You were not banned because of your bad global ratio. This is more a sign for staff to take a closer look into someones account, rarely a reason for banning. You were banned because most of your downloads were h&r's. Even worse, you continued to h&r within an active warning period. This is something even the most lenient AceT staff members frown upon.

adleos
04-22-2009, 03:49 PM
If by H&R you mean downloading the things I was interested at and then seeding them aiming to that 0,7 ratio (or 48 hour seed) they asked for in the rules, then of course I am a "problematic" user. Nevertheless, if you ask for either one of those things, I cannot understand why it would be considered hit&run downloading something and then seeding for the period required with nobody else downloading.

:S

FatBastard
04-22-2009, 04:26 PM
By H&R we mean, hitting and running on almost everything you download. Hitting and running means you downloaded it, and did NOT seed it back properly to either a .7 ratio or for 48 hours as required. 48 hours is EASILY attainable, but must be done in a reasonable timeframe as well. It doesn't mean download it today, and wait a week before you start seeding it back. You seem to think we can't SEE the activity in your account or something, but there was a clear pattern, and the staff did exactly as they should have done.

You showed total disregard for the warnings, downloaded more, failed to seed properly, and then while your ratio was already in the tank, and not showing much sign of recovery, you download the LARGEST torrent you can possibly get, knowing full well that this would throw your ratio further down the gutter. Doing that is like a slap in the face for the community as a whole.

Tanuki
04-22-2009, 04:35 PM
> I cannot understand why it would be considered hit&run downloading
> something and then seeding for the period required with nobody else
> downloading.

It isn't. Unfortunately you did not not seed the required 48hrs. Most of your downloads had a ratio < 0.7 and were far from 48hrs seeded. Many were even far from 24hrs. You were warned because of that and did it again. Now you are banned. Tough luck.

And btw. the 48hrs period has nothing to do with the number of available leechers. Even if there is not a single leecher for 40hrs, you don't know if after 40hrs and 5min someone appears, who would gladly download from you.

adleos
04-22-2009, 04:57 PM
you download the LARGEST torrent you can possibly get, knowing full well that this would throw your ratio further down the gutter.

That was a free torrent.

I am just saying that if you send a warning and threaten somebody with a ban in 2 weeks, keep in mind that you are giving a period of time to let that user work it out, and that was exactly what I was doing, following recommendations made at the forums where you recommended "download a FREE torrent which won't damage your ratio" or "look for the torrent with most leechers and less seeds".

Anyway, I can't have my BT on all day and I had it on as much as I could seeding. I understand your points and I am sorry that I didn't get there.

I don't want this to sound rude, but could I donate to the site?

Tanuki
04-22-2009, 06:05 PM
That was a free torrent.
Point for you. But you know that normal seed rules apply even for free torrents? The only differens is, that your download is not counted against you global ratio. Freeleech torrenst still have to be seeded to a ratio of at least 0.7 or 48hrs.

I am just saying that if you send a warning and threaten somebody with a ban in 2 weeks, keep in mind that you are giving a period of time to let that user work it out, and that was exactly what I was doing, following recommendations made at the forums where you recommended "download a FREE torrent which won't damage your ratio" or "look for the torrent with most leechers and less seeds".

If it was only your global ratio which caused your ban, I would totally agree with you. In that case choosing the torrent you chose was the right thing to do. But I also said, that global ratio might get you into trouble, because staff tends to check low global ratio accounts more, but we rarely ban because of a low global ratio. At least not fast without plenty of previous warnings.

Your fault was that you h&r within your 2 weeks warning period. This is unacceptable. What's interesting when you registered you seeded fine for about two weeks. Looks like you really understood our rules. The last three week you have only h&r's. You added even h&r's after you got warned. I doubt there are many private trackers, which tolerate such a behaviour.

Anyway, I can't have my BT on all day and I had it on as much as I could seeding. I understand your points and I am sorry that I didn't get there.

Perfectly understandable, and we accept that many members have machines, which are not online 24/7. So sensible interruptions are fine. Of course it is hard to argue with 'sensible interruption' when several torrents are days or even weeks old, seeded less then 48hrs and new torrents show that in the mean time the computer was running long enough to download other stuff. This was a general statement and not solely related to your case.

Offering a donation is never rude. If you had done this before, you would have been allowed to h&r. Your global ratio would have skyrocketed so that you hardly ever had to worry about it again. But now you are banned. Though we always need money, the servers don't pay for itself, good and active members are of higher priority. It is fairly easy to get AceT membership, there are much harder sites to get in. But that easy that a banned member just can buy his way back.....I don't know. I will talk with Ace and the other owners about this.

FatBastard
04-23-2009, 05:24 PM
To show we are willing to be reasonable, and after some internal discussion and review of your last activity on the site, we have decided to enable your account again. It does look like you were/are making an effort to improve your ratio, and hopefully you will no longer hit and run on ANY files, so we're giving you another chance. We will be keeping a watch on your activity, and any sign of repeat infractions will result in termination of the account.

Thanks.

Tanuki
04-23-2009, 06:19 PM
I just want to add, adleos, our decision had nothing to do with you offer to donate. And you are under no obligation to donate now. We just liked the way you tried to solve the problem. Our IRC channel would have been a much better way, but you wrote you cannot use it. Why not? Our channel gives you 15mb upload for every 15 minutes you idle in it. A few hours idling there and your global ratio would have been perfect. Nevertheless, you are still under warning. And I will keep an eye on you account. One more h&r and it is bye bye forever. Unless of course you are still interested to go vip and donate.

maj0r_pawnage
04-29-2009, 06:15 PM
acetorrents is gud, join the irc :-o

cinephilia
04-29-2009, 09:36 PM
Offering a donation is never rude. If you had done this before, you would have been allowed to h&r.
sorry but that doesn't make sense at all... rules are meant to be enforced for everyone and that's just not fair to allow people to break the 'P2P spirit' under the pretext that they donated. :ermm:

anyway... your tracker, your (stupid) rules..

Tanuki
05-01-2009, 06:12 AM
cinephilia, the rules are not stupid. Sharing is fine, sharing is necessary. However, sharing does not pay our server bills. It all boils down to the necessary support to keep our community alive. Some do it by seeding back, others by donating money, yet others by investing their time in one way or another. This is totally within the rules. We could not survive without either group. Furthermore I don't think the 'P2P spirit' is just as simple as: 'I took a bit from the pool, I have to put a bit into the pool'. At least for private trackers, it is the degree of commitment to the community. Most of our best regular donators are also our best sharers.

We at AceTorrents hate freeloaders as much as any private tracker community, but leave the choice how our members want to support us up to them.

stoi
05-01-2009, 06:34 AM
We could not survive without either group

Yes you could, and that is all i am going to say on this, not getting involved to deep.

Edit: you just said that most of your donators are your best sharers, so if that is the case, why do you need it???

VinX
05-01-2009, 06:43 AM
AceT is nice tracker .. good in pretimes but .. eh .. just another one ?!?

Tanuki
05-01-2009, 07:59 AM
We could not survive without either groupYes you could

So I suppose your servers and seedboxes pay for itself? Some day you have to teach me this trick.

The_Martinator
05-01-2009, 08:32 AM
Woah I sense a battle of staffers. Brace yourselfves, people!

Tanuki
05-01-2009, 09:13 AM
Woah I sense a battle of staffers. Brace yourselfves, people!

Readjust your battle sense. This is far from a battle. :-D

The_Martinator
05-01-2009, 09:25 AM
Oh, then a chick fight?

lol

Tanuki
05-01-2009, 09:31 AM
Oh, then a chick fight?

lol

Careful, or you might find yourself in a fight against two staffers. :lol:

The_Martinator
05-01-2009, 11:55 AM
Well, I wouldn't want to do that. I take back everything I said.

:D

stoi
05-01-2009, 01:46 PM
Yes you could

So I suppose your servers and seedboxes pay for itself? Some day you have to teach me this trick.

A: No, Donations pay for the servers the tracker is on, but we dont have P2L

B: I dont own a seedbox

C: It is your site, you can do what the hell you want, but to say that you could not survive without P2L is Bollocks, you just need to come up with a way to get the donations without it.

wiseD
05-01-2009, 03:16 PM
How about you stop acting so high and mighty and let him get on with it? :)

Hell, I don't even need to say this myself:

C: It is your site, you can do what the hell you want

stoi
05-01-2009, 04:18 PM
Because this is an open forum, and i can say what the fuck i want.

is that ok with you?

And i was just pointing out, he said he could not survive without P2L but his best donators are those that are the best seeders, so he can survive without it, unless he is lieing through his back teeth.

and btw, if you read why darkside closed, one of the reasons was because of trackers that do P2L, members would much rather donate to trackers like that, than a tracker without it. not that i entirely agree with that, but i can see their point.

wiseD
05-01-2009, 06:43 PM
Because this is an open forum, and i can say what the fuck i want.

is that ok with you?

And i was just pointing out, he said he could not survive without P2L but his best donators are those that are the best seeders, so he can survive without it, unless he is lieing through his back teeth.

and btw, if you read why darkside closed, one of the reasons was because of trackers that do P2L, members would much rather donate to trackers like that, than a tracker without it. not that i entirely agree with that, but i can see their point.
My point was that you should just let him be, and let him run his tracker how he wishes. In this case, you can't do what the fuck you want, because you have no power there.

What if someone hijacked a Blackcats thread and pointed out that in fact the fake front page is actually a load of wank, since you then post instructions on FST on how to get past it :huh: As you say, it's an open forum, so what's the point in that?

I do sympathise with your POV about P2l though. I do not think, in the long run, that it helps trackers, and is actually derogatory to the site was a whole in the end. But, P2l is popular among those that can't be arsed to keep a ratio, and sadly these days that is what the majority op for, rather than splashing out on a better connection which would actually benefit everyone. Then the overall community benefits as a result, and therefore people are more inclined to donate, having saved a few pennies from not buying upload constantly.

But, then again, if a tracker is in need of donations to stay alive, and people seem to donate more when they can get credited with upload, then fair play to them - perhaps use the money to implement new features etc, which will encourage more donations in the future :)

cinephilia
05-01-2009, 07:36 PM
Tanuki, please just answer this question if possible:

Edit: you just said that most of your donators are your best sharers, so if that is the case, why do you need it???

Tanuki
05-01-2009, 08:06 PM
cinephilia,
Ace Torrents does not only have to pay for the server, which runs our tracker, but we also have several seedboxes online. In the last years, whenever AceT grew enough and got more donations we rented additional seedboxes or added new storage space. At the moment we are still lucky when we get enough donations to get even with our costs each month.

Of course we could rent a seedbox less or do without another hard disk, but it always hurts to have to delete a good pack just because we reach the limit of our storage space. And saying that most of our donators are also our best sharers does not imply any absolute amount of money. It just says that a certain group of our members likes our community enough to support us in more than one way.

Another group does not want or cannot seed for one reason or another. Instead of excluding them, we offer them the opportunity to help us in their way, e.g. donating money for a certain time of allowed h&r. If someone does not like the notion of paid downloads without seeding back, he might view this groups donations as partial payments for our seedboxes which gives them a claim of a part of the boxes uploads. So in a way everybody on AceT is seeding back and everybody benefits from our constantly improving infrastructure.

stoi
05-01-2009, 11:36 PM
My point was that you should just let him be, and let him run his tracker how he wishes. In this case, you can't do what the fuck you want, because you have no power there

thats why i am saying it here, and not there, because i am not a member there.

I know of some sites that have donate Ģ10 and get 350gig upload ffs.

I have no idea what these do, the point is, i have got the T-Shirt on this, we done it when we first started as that is the way the tracker was coded, and none of us were skilled enough to change it.

Then we seen 1 or 2 members just taking the piss, donate 1 month, hit and run 40 torrents without even trying to seed back, donate again the next month, download 40 torrents, rinse and repeat until they had 400-500 torrents like that, but they were VIP and payed for 10 gig so we couldnt touch them, but it pissed me off no end.

again, one of the many reasons SP was borne, and out hit and run policy and why Donors do not get VIP Status anymore.

We seen the light an changed it, as it just wasnt fucking right at all, and it wasnt even my BW they were raping, it was out uploaders, so why should they pay me, to not seed back another members upload. fuck that.

maj0r_pawnage
05-02-2009, 06:19 PM
you should see scc's vip gb bonus, it breaks my balls/ bank account

cinephilia
05-02-2009, 07:06 PM
in my eyes, offering GBs for donations is more 'fair' and coherent than allowing Hit&Run.