PDA

View Full Version : Community - The Truth

krunktastic
01-20-2008, 08:32 PM
Most every time I see a request thread, it is usually closed with a statement such as:

"I only want it because of the community, I would be a great addition etc. etc. etc."

The truth is there are very few trackers with communities like the ones you would expect. Now keep in mind, I'm not flaming any "top tier" trackers, but there are certain ones that are most certainly overhyped and misconstrued in a way that misrepresents the actual community there. In fact, the communities at What.cd and Waffles have some of the most fantastic communities I have ever come across; in terms of music lovers, you have every type of person imaginable. You can get recommendations about the newest and oldest music, from contemporary jazz to noise, and everything in between.

On a specific "top level" site that I have seen people requesting because of the "community", I have found the forums and people to be cold and alienating. In fact, this is true (for me) for more than one case. Most of the most requested trackers have boring and irksome forums.

The fact of the matter is you can never know what the community is like until you are a member there. You may have that person who praises the community there, but more often then not it has been hyped into something that is bound to disappoint.

In closing, I have found that SCC has the most comprehensive selection of content anyone could ever ask for. It has all the new ScT releases, TL and FTN releases, with great packs as well. All these people who want that "Level 10" (note the quotations) tracker for the community seem to be putting on a visage to pretend like that is what they want out of a tracker.

But hey, that's just me.
-KT

filonome
01-20-2008, 08:33 PM
it's true, but i dont get why it was necessary to be said....everyone knows that already.

magushun
01-20-2008, 08:54 PM
you only say that the community is good and you feel home to a tracker if you meet the same personalities, or interesting people with a very little in common. if you love music, you are probably going to find the best community among the music trackers, if you love movies, then movie trackers are the best for you. its rare, that you meet guys at a tracker who you feel good to chat with. it has nothing to do with the lvl of the tracker, its just a hypocrite lie.

anyway, be realistic, apart from some places you hang out at, its not a bad thing that ppl are nice there, but what i call community is when i just lay back at the beach with gf, torrenting is never going to be first

LordS
01-20-2008, 08:54 PM
I find the forums on all those level 10 sites great, It's more a family than some randoms.

If you were to go offline for a few days, people would notice and ask how you've been etc.

Horatiu
01-20-2008, 09:02 PM
I find the forums on all those level 10 sites great, It's more a family than some randoms.

If you were to go offline for a few days, people would notice and ask how you've been etc.

Smaller the group better the community.

mrnobody
01-20-2008, 09:04 PM

i agree!

there's a sense of bond bt users. And, that takes torrenting beyond just sharing.......it takes it to caring.

filonome
01-20-2008, 09:32 PM
yes, community is nice, it helps people feel more secure i guess, but why is this a necessary thread again?

sear
01-20-2008, 09:44 PM
yes, community is nice, it helps people feel more secure i guess, but why is this a necessary thread again?

That's an odd question...why is any thread necessary? why are there forums at all...to discuss ideas ;)

As to the OP I have to disagree. I've found that most of the forums on "top level" trackers are pretty good. There are two in particular that I really enjoy and find to be very welcoming. Another that a lot of people love to beg for I don't find I have much in common with the posters...mainly because the maturity level is lacking, however the content on that tracker more then makes up for it so I still love it :D

EDIT:

I would agree that it's getting pretty annoying hearing community as an excuse for asking for a tracker. While community may be important all these collectors trying to extend their e-penis are making me sick :sick:

Tip one if you truly cared about community you'd have mates to invite you and you wouldn't need to ask on a public forum.

Tip two if you have trouble communicating it's pretty obvious you're full of shit. If you can't make sensible posts how are you ever going to get along on community based trackers :rolleyes:

Tip three THEY ALL HAVE THE SAME CONTENT :yup:

Something Else
01-20-2008, 09:50 PM
Nobody asks about me when I'm gone a few days :cry:

sear
01-20-2008, 09:51 PM

who are you :unsure:

SgtMajor
01-20-2008, 10:03 PM

Most of us say thank fuck actually.

LordS
01-20-2008, 10:11 PM

LOL!

SgtMajor
01-20-2008, 10:13 PM
<snipped>
But hey, that's just me.
-KT

Good for you, but thankfully we are not all the same and we all have differing views and a lot of us get to know staff and posters, and have a laugh along the way, it's surprising where where we also happen to bump into one another along the journey.

One man's wine is another man's vinegar, and each to their own, and as long as you find what you want from a tracker, then leave others to also find what they want, be that community or content.

grimms
01-20-2008, 10:22 PM
<snipped>
But hey, that's just me.
-KT

Good for you, but thankfully we are not all the same and we all have differing views and a lot of us get to know staff and posters, and have a laugh along the way, it's surprising where where we also happen to bump into one another along the journey.

One man's wine is another man's vinegar, and each to their own, and as long as you find what you want from a tracker, then leave others to also find what they want, be that community or content.

Definitely agree with that.

Agree very much. Thos are the best communities that i have been honored to join.

Artemis
01-20-2008, 10:28 PM
I have to agree with Sear's post and will take it further, alot of members have learned to parrot the word community, without really understanding what it means or really caring. If you are active in the community on a tracker , you post in the forums are active on irc, upload if you can post torrent comments site suggestions etc, and generally be a part of the tracker.
There are many collectors out there who say they want to be a part of a 'community' but have a list of userbars or favicons in their signature, this immediately makes me suspicious, these are simply a perceived status symbol.
Secondly if you truly are a community person you would contribute to trackers/forums that aren't even listed or have a level rating, some of these trackers have the high rating because they are a closed community, by that I mean a small group that knows each other, this is not to everyones taste, but because of the rarity factor it is chased and then you have the collectors (and I have seen a long list of these) who once they achieve the perceived pinnacle of rarity then go but the tracker sucks or there are only a few people here or the speeds arent the same, well duuuuhhhh, if you wanted the leetest fastest latest greatest stick to the uber fast 0day sites, these sites offer something different, user content a request and offer system etc so that sharing is more in the spirit of the community.
I have enjoyed many posts by collectors and traders in the past who were sadly disappointed by getting to that L10 tracker and finding that it wasn't what they had hyped it up to be and without the true sense of community they are sadly disappointed by their acquisition.
A quick review of anyones post history here gives you a good idea of whether they are a community person or a collector it even shows you the percentage of posts in which section you are most active in so sometimes you don't even need to review the post history.

kyrcer
01-20-2008, 11:28 PM
Without community tracker site won't be exist. :) + my sig

grimms
01-21-2008, 12:03 AM
Without community tracker site won't be exist. :) + my sig

Loving the sig, but "Community is The Truth".:D

krunktastic
01-21-2008, 12:07 AM
<snipped>
But hey, that's just me.
-KT

Thank you for a beautiful counter-post (?) to mine. I totally see where you're coming from.

As far as that goes, each person is going to find certain things that they like at every tracker. I was primarily addressing, though, the members who claim that they want that tracker solely for the presence of the community, which is usually a ploy just to get that "status symbol" tracker.

Personally, on the tracker I moderate on, most would say the community sucks; but we've been able to really work together (the staff) to try and help develop the IRC into something bigger than it's ever been. Since we've implemented some new ideas, we have increased our userbase and grown together as a community through this.

So I can totally see how some people would even perceive the worst communities to be exciting and fun, as this is all based on perception. But I don't think it should be used as an excuse. Keep the posts coming.

Vidde
01-21-2008, 12:11 AM

And that is exactly the main problem ;)

If you're a "random" in there (which we -all- have been one time), you're not too welcome.. I want to join a community when they don't look at nicks and for how many weeks you've been a member..

There are some great communities out there, but unfortunately there are too many "who the fuck are you to talk?"-communities to "noobs"..

-Vidde =)

ceasar
01-21-2008, 12:15 AM
I have found the forums and people to be cold and alienating.

No need to walk that far. Here, on FST, when someone creates the thread about smth. he needs, more or less badly, you can predict "usual suspects" to appear there, not to help, but to:

1) spam, earn more posts, stars, whatsoever
2) brag of their anti-smth balls
3) tell him, that he doesn't deserve that tracker
4) tell him that he's doing the wrong thing, and tell him what to do with account/invite (this ones usually being surprised a lot when told to fcuk off)
5) request the same thing and hijack the thread
6) wish a good luck/you deserve it, sometimes = 1)
7) you name it

So, total number of useful posts less usually less than 20% and cold and alienating attitudes prevails.

kallieb
01-21-2008, 12:17 AM
Hey! Hi Vidde :wave:

Speaking of community. It IS nice to say hello to you.

Enlightened
01-21-2008, 12:19 AM

+1 .Good riddance.....anyway, benchez is into writing Reviews and papers on torrents.......

Ofcourse, they are going to say, I am a "community guy" ......just to "Get an Invite OR to get in".....what else, are they going to say::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty:

1. I am a Trader
2. I am a scammer
3. I am a collector
4. Been Banned from that Tracker or forum
5. Or all of the above...

Something Else
01-21-2008, 12:19 AM

:pinch:

+1 .Good riddance.....anyway, benchez is into writing Reviews and papers on torrents.......

:earl:

mrnobody
01-21-2008, 12:24 AM

No need to walk that far. Here, on FST, when someone creates the thread about smth. he needs, more or less badly, you can predict "usual suspects" to appear there, not to help, but to:

4) tell him that he's doing the wrong thing, and tell him what to do with account/invite (this ones usually being surprised a lot when told to fcuk off)
7) you name it

So, total number of useful posts less usually less than 20% and cold and alienating attitudes prevails.

+1

^^ #8

grimms
01-21-2008, 12:25 AM

7) you name it

I disagree with parts of what your post and agree with other parts. Me personally i like to wish members good luck to leave them a shed of hope, also i try to help new users out by giving them some constructive advice that could get them far in a forum like this one.

I alway state to be active, make friends, contribute (not just inviting people), participate in forum discussions (like this one here), respect other members and the rules, and never trade or take accounts (if you want to instill trust in other good respected members within this forum).

Alot of times though i do see people who alienate noobs and just say unpleasant things to deter them. I think it's all right to be curious about trackers, what they have to offer, their community. Only if your vying to be a great entrusted member though. also it's good to help a noob get on the right path and head in the right direction before they lose their trust. Every member starts with a trust level of zero. It either increases or decreases over time (depending on various situations).

If your cheater, scammer, account trader (who hasn't cleaned up their act), or anything else hazardous to this forum community or anywhere else? Then this post and my help or advice does not apply to you. That when i would consider you a lost cause. Just wanted to chime in alittle bit on this with some substance.

krunktastic
01-21-2008, 12:26 AM

Ofcourse, they are going to say, I am a "community guy" ......just to "Get an Invite OR to get in".....what else, are they going to say::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty:

1. I am a Trader
2. I am a scammer
3. I am a collector

Or:

I need this tracker because:

1. I need the content
2. I have the content and want to upload
3. I offer such-and-such a skill
4. I have access to content
5. I have such-and-such a situation and need such-and-such a torrent...

Community has become just another excuse, point being that the above are the prevailing number of members here. I wish the people who spend all their time in the Bittorent - Invites forum would read this.

grimms
01-21-2008, 12:30 AM

1. I am a Trader
2. I am a scammer
3. I am a collector

Or:

I need this tracker because:

1. I need the content
2. I have the content and want to upload
3. I offer such-and-such a skill
4. I have access to content
5. I have such-and-such a situation and need such-and-such a torrent...

Community has become just another excuse, point being that the above are the prevailing number of members here.

Now if your a sour grape (you all know who you are, even if we don't) then 100% i agree with both of you. Good points as well.:) unfortunately, you have to take in the bad with the good. It's life, and life is not always fair i guess...Good thread krunktastic.:)

ceasar
01-21-2008, 12:33 AM

who are you :unsure:
Hint:
//His name is not Brandon, obviously. //

SAM
01-21-2008, 12:39 AM
Yea i would have to say sometimes the hype really lets you down. For example i got a site which was heavily hyped from here from a friend, and the site was supposed to be all about community. Well what a let down, after a few day of reading the boring threads (what size shoes you wear etc) and barely any interesting posts, and a dull irc which was quiet for large periods, and when there was talk it was with friends i knew from other sites mainly, i gave up on the site. So in short, don't go joining a torrent site for community, because you will be severely disappointed at times, or worse, will force yourself to think that because this site was rare, its a more interesting community. Just join a site to download, and you will, like most one day will get bored, and browse the forums, and fall in love with it.

:yup:

Something Else
01-21-2008, 12:52 AM
My community is where I live. :huh:

grimms
01-21-2008, 12:53 AM
pandabear

A site like TL is dreadful when it comes to the community, but their content is good. I guess that sorta makes up for it. Yes some sites that were hyped for their community was only that. Hype. Good point.

@pandabear

A site like TL is dreadful when it comes to the community, but their content is good. I guess that sorta makes up for it. Yes some sites that were hyped for their community was only that. Hype. Good point.

mrnobody
01-21-2008, 12:56 AM

+1 :)

KinkyAfro
01-21-2008, 01:00 AM
A "good" community for you depends on your personality and your hobbies/interests. Some like to discuss politics and so forth, others prefer to discuss out of 5 just how nice that ass is.

grimms
01-21-2008, 01:19 AM
A "good" community for you depends on your personality and your hobbies/interests. Some like to discuss politics and so forth, others prefer to discuss out of 5 just how nice that ass is.

Yes very true. Wish all the ass talking was toned down alittle bit but i guess it still makes for great discussion.:)

jonny81985
01-21-2008, 01:21 AM
Everyone here makes good points but i must disagree with some things. I for one love being part of smaller communities where I can get to know people. This to me is what filesharing is about. If you think about it, in terms of cont4ent, Scc and Sct are very similar but people want Sct way more because it is considered a level 10 site. I am lucky enough to be a member of both, but honestly I use Scc more because I like the people there a little better. They seem a lot more welcoming and nicer.

At Scc i have like a 600 gig buffer and that is why people there are nice to me. The dont like me for who I am or my friendliness amongs teh forums but because i seed alot. These same people wouldnt have given me the time of day when i first signed up for an account

I do believe that people have to earn trust on forums but at the same time I think we should give them the benefit of the doubt. For example if a new person here with under 10 posts asks for help I will gladly offer it to them. Granted im not gonna send him a Sct or mRevtt invite but after i get to know him alil ill help get him started with a lower level invite. I think to many peoplearound here judge based on # of posts,giveaways, and the like. But what is really important is the aspect of what kind of person you are dealing with. Maybe they are new to torrents and dont know all that much so they cant offer mcuh help but at the same time they might be very friendly, willing to learn, and very active in the community. To me this person deserves a chance to get started out--- I mean we all started somewhere.

Granted there are always collectors, traders, cheaters, scammers, etc... but we cannot judge everyone based on the premise that they fall into these categories.

Just my two cents

Jon

grimms
01-21-2008, 01:29 AM
Everyone here makes good points but i must disagree with some things. I for one love being part of smaller communities where I can get to know people. This to me is what filesharing is about. If you think about it, in terms of cont4ent, Scc and Sct are very similar but people want Sct way more because it is considered a level 10 site. I am lucky enough to be a member of both, but honestly I use Scc more because I like the people there a little better. They seem a lot more welcoming and nicer.

At Scc i have like a 600 gig buffer and that is why people there are nice to me. The dont like me for who I am or my friendliness amongs teh forums but because i seed alot. These same people wouldnt have given me the time of day when i first signed up for an account

I do believe that people have to earn trust on forums but at the same time I think we should give them the benefit of the doubt. For example if a new person here with under 10 posts asks for help I will gladly offer it to them. Granted im not gonna send him a Sct or mRevtt invite but after i get to know him alil ill help get him started with a lower level invite. I think to many peoplearound here judge based on # of posts,giveaways, and the like. But what is really important is the aspect of what kind of person you are dealing with. Maybe they are new to torrents and dont know all that much so they cant offer mcuh help but at the same time they might be very friendly, willing to learn, and very active in the community. To me this person deserves a chance to get started out--- I mean we all started somewhere.

Granted there are always collectors, traders, cheaters, scammers, etc... but we cannot judge everyone based on the premise that they fall into these categories.

Just my two cents

Jon

Actually according to some forums and other sites, they recently updated the supposed "level list" and ScT is only level 5 now. It doesn't matter to me what level it is though. I rather have a good smaller forum community, then a big tracker with no forum community. I do love the two big sites with a huge user base and community though.:)

SAM
01-21-2008, 01:35 AM
i wonder , how people can define a collector ?
i mean it's very hard to know whether this man is asking for an invite is just want it as a trophy or really want it to be an active member in the site.
i guess collectors are not the problem .the problem is the cheaters and scammers .
even if you invited a collector , his account will decay from inactivity .

FatBob
01-21-2008, 01:36 AM
for a community i would love to join forums , not a torrent site

if a trackers lacks content , would you even bother to login to that site just for the so called community ?

benchez, seventh seal right ? :D

krunktastic
01-21-2008, 01:36 AM
In my opinion, the levels are completely arbitrary - in fact the whole system is ridiculous. I think by removing that thread FST will have sooo many less problems to worry about. It draws unnecessary attention to the "high level" trackers that wish to remain under the radar, forcing them to cut themselves off.

JROQuinn
01-21-2008, 01:42 AM
I have learned tid bits from every community, big or small, thats what makes them priceless to me

grimms
01-21-2008, 01:44 AM
In my opinion, the levels are completely arbitrary - in fact the whole system is ridiculous. I think by removing that thread FST will have sooo many less problems to worry about. It draws unnecessary attention to the "high level" trackers that wish to remain under the radar, forcing them to cut themselves off.

I agree, but am also glad i did get to see the list not just for the levels but to know what else is out their and to expand my own horizons. I'm glad i'm now apart of some of them. I have got to meet so many more people and extend my network of friends.

It sucks though cause whats good, could also be bad. Unfortunately this same list or thread with the list has attracted, traders, cheaters, and scammers who ruin what could otherwise be a great experience. It's a double edged sword. Once again gotta take the bad in with the good (even though the ultimate is not too or limit "bad" users as much as possible).

SHUVT
01-21-2008, 01:48 AM
As far as trackers are concerned there are very few with an "active" community. The few that are active do tend to have their clicks and with effort and a tad bit of time you can feel right at home. If the pursuit of a community is your #1 priority then why would you wonder far from forums such as FST that have a large user base and are more active than any BT tracker forum could be?

I believe you can find your niche with people that have common interests not just BT and you will feel 100% more satisfied then a tracker that has maybe 10-20 posts a day in its forums.

Kapone
01-21-2008, 01:49 AM
@ jonnyy81985 well said. I'm new to the site but not the scene. But I also agree with you. I think noobs are judged by sites and post counts. But think about it everyone started at the bottom and worked there way up.

Me personally I use about 3 or 4 sites. If I can't find it on them its not out there ;) . And those 3 or 4 sites are not big name sites either. Later M8

mrnobody
01-21-2008, 01:52 AM
i wonder , how people can define a collector ?
i mean it's very hard to know whether this man is asking for an invite is just want it as a trophy or really want it to be an active member in the site.
i guess collectors are not the problem .the problem is the cheaters and scammers .
even if you invited a collector , his account will decay from inactivity .

i think there are two types of collector: one who collects for e-penis enlargement purpose and another who collects for variety of content/ community w/e (with an intention to download from it in near future).

The second one makes sense to me coz he has it to use it...may be he doesn't download today but when there is a release that he wants...he will...and i think that's fine. On the other hand, i think those who collect trackers for e-penis should be discouraged. How to identity them? In general, they...

- login within a week but and don't download anything

- entered the tracker saying " i love community" but don't post at all. I know in some cases, u don't get the type of community u are excepting for that's an exception

- enter the tracker saying "the content is great" but barely download

- have a love icon or userbar of "high lvl" tracker

the main problem i see is that collecting occupies spot in a tracker. It may not mean anything to tracker with huge slot for users but for closed community...i think it's a problem.

collectors usually login once in a while to save their acct from getting purged. In my opinion checking in a tracker and if u don't list it letting it purge is fine...but keeping it alive just for "i have this" purpose is not right.

SAM
01-21-2008, 01:56 AM
great answer , mate
http://www.school-clipart.com/_small/0511-0703-2015-4323.jpg

grimms
01-21-2008, 01:59 AM
Good way to define it.

fazzy07
01-21-2008, 02:00 AM
I agree with OP.

Waffles has a great community for music lovers and forums are organized so far

But there are some high level trackers {dont know about level 10's as I dont have them and dont want them} which has very good community and warm feel like fsc and ftn

grimms
01-21-2008, 02:06 AM
Too me personally? Underground gamer, Boxtorrents, what, and waffles have an excellent forum community. UG gamer is one of my all time favs though. Also appreciate Boxtorrents (for my anime discussions).

SAM
01-21-2008, 02:09 AM
,look,
if the content in most trackers are the same and you don't care about the speed that much.
why you look for high trackers except for the security and the community they have.
what differs fsc , ftn , ftwr and all the top trackers from the other trackers out there,is not the speed and the content .
what make them unique is their friendly staff and their warm community.

grimms
01-21-2008, 02:20 AM
,look,
if the content in most trackers are the same and you don't care about the speed that much.
why you look for high trackers except for the security and the community they have.
what differs fsc , ftn , ftwr and all the top trackers from the other trackers out there,is not the speed and the content .

That plus to expand your horizons and extend your network of friends and places to hang out in. I do agree.:D

krunktastic
01-21-2008, 02:22 AM
,look,

I don't mean this offensively at all, but - how can you judge those sites if you're not a member on any of them?

Hey
01-21-2008, 02:23 AM

really true LordS. It happens to me too. This happens when you get to know ppl or when ppl know you. I know some random ppl asking me why i got a warning or why I needed that as a request or something like that.

Hell if i dont go into an irc server for a day and im on other servers, ppl ask me where i was and why i didnt come to their server.

Its all about knowing ppl, whether in irc or in forums.

LOL. That actually happens to me sometimes, but usually they just say it was nice to see me back :lol:

Vidde...why do i always see your name pop-up everywhere?? Do i know you from somewhere?

no i havent been on NB at all

Something Else
01-21-2008, 02:25 AM
benchez, seventh seal right ? :D

;) Noice. :yup:

grimms
01-21-2008, 02:28 AM
The seventh seal is a great movie. I see it in your avatar.

Something Else
01-21-2008, 02:29 AM
http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/5290/slapbk3.gif (http://imageshack.us)

aysomc
01-21-2008, 02:40 AM
i think it varies from tracker to tracker but people asking for the community probably heard it being built up by someone they know and thats all you can really go off of. i know for me personally i've found the forums at fsc and revolt to be the most like "home" for me and my favorite to visit. revolt is just a bunch of goofballs messing around which is always fun and fsc has a lot of really nice people and the fight club which is a huge plus for me. i think at first they may seem cold but thats only because nobody there knows you yet(im speaking generally about all forums), keep posting and people will get to know you and start talking to you whenever they're ready but until they do you're really not a part of the "community" yet. give it a couple months on whatever site you're talking about and stay active and then see how you feel about it.

grimms
01-21-2008, 02:43 AM
i think it varies from tracker to tracker but people asking for the community probably heard it being built up by someone they know and thats all you can really go off of. i know for me personally i've found the forums at fsc and revolt to be the most like "home" for me and my favorite to visit. revolt is just a bunch of goofballs messing around which is always fun and fsc has a lot of really nice people and the fight club which is a huge plus for me. i think at first they may seem cold but thats only because nobody there knows you yet(im speaking generally about all forums), keep posting and people will get to know you and start talking to you whenever they're ready but until they do you're really not a part of the "community" yet. give it a couple months on whatever site you're talking about and stay active and then see how you feel about it.

Definitely holds true for fsc, can't speak for revolt though, not a member there.

krunktastic
01-21-2008, 03:03 AM

There are several sites where this is the case, but I can see where you're coming from. Though I still am a firm believer that level has nothing to do with the quality of the community.

kallieb
01-21-2008, 03:10 AM
revolt is just a bunch of goofballs messing around which is always fun .

Goofball!!.. Speak for yourself ;)

Kidding aside, well put. I do have a grand time with a few favourite sites. The torrents are secondary for the most part.

jonny81985
01-21-2008, 03:53 AM

Just my two cents

Jon

Actually according to some forums and other sites, they recently updated the supposed "level list" and ScT is only level 5 now. It doesn't matter to me what level it is though. I rather have a good smaller forum community, then a big tracker with no forum community. I do love the two big sites with a huge user base and community though.:)

I just checked Sct is still 10

SAM
01-21-2008, 03:54 AM
I don't mean this offensively at all, but - how can you judge those sites if you're not a member on any of them?
i didn't get what you mean by this ?
but i'll answer from what i thought you meant by this comment.
there are many reviews here about all the trackers out there and you can ask old and active members here about any tracker out there and they will gladly answer all your questions.
another thing
i didn't mean by my comment that only high level trackers that have good community .
there are many other trackers which have good community too.
sitr,waffles,ipt ,sd,scl,its and many others
but i like smaller communities and secure ones :)

krunktastic
01-21-2008, 03:59 AM
I don't mean this offensively at all, but - how can you judge those sites if you're not a member on any of them?i didn't get what you mean by this ?
but i'll answer from what i thought you meant by this comment.
there are many reviews here about all the trackers out there and you can ask old and active members here about any tracker out there and they will gladly answer all your questions.
another thing
i didn't mean by my comment that only high level trackers that have good community .
there are many other trackers which have good community too.
sitr,waffles,ipt ,sd,scl,its and many others
but i like smaller communities and secure ones :)

I meant you were talking about those sites in a way that inferred tha you had them. Anyways, I do agree with you that "level" has nothing to do with the quality to community, and is entirely superfluous in representing the quality of a tracker.

DKre8ive1
01-21-2008, 04:00 AM
My point of view is that most of these smaller hard to get into sites were called communities along time before the word became so cool to use. You have to understand that most people who are on these trackers have probably been around for ages and thats why sometimes it feels awkward for a new person that just start using torrents.

Also they might not be as active as the new comers, but they do hold a lot of knowledge that could benefit the younger file sharing generation and so by passing this down the line hopefully it will help it grow for the better and not the worst.

I am pretty sure sooner or later someone is going to say something bad about the communities I choose to dedicate my time too, but I could care less and you why is that because my communities are those were I have confidence in the staff and were I find members who are like minded but still are able to have disagreements with out it turning into a flame war.

At the end of day my advice to you is go out and search out what communities suit you and give them support, but at the same time you should respect the other communities even thou they didn't meet your needs.

Defined by me with the help of Dictionary.com:
com·mu·ni·ty /kəˈmyunɪti/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[kuh-myoo-ni-tee] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun, plural -ties.
1. a social group of any size whose members reside in a specific locality(filesharing), share government(sites cooperating with each other), and often have a common cultural and historical heritage(Have most likely dedicated quite a bit of time for the love of filesharing).

If it sounds cheesy oh well that my viewpoint so shoot me. :P

krunktastic
01-21-2008, 04:11 AM
My point of view is that most of these smaller hard to get into sites were called communities along time before the word became so cool to use. You have to understand that most people who are on these trackers have probably been around for ages and thats why sometimes it feels awkward for a new person that just start using torrents.

Also they might not be as active as the new comers, but they do hold a lot of knowledge that could benefit the younger file sharing generation and so by passing this down the line hopefully it will help it grow for the better and not the worst.

I am pretty sure sooner or later someone is going to say something bad about the communities I choose to dedicate my time too, but I could care less and you why is that because my communities are those were I have confidence in the staff and were I find members who are like minded but still are able to have disagreements with out it turning into a flame war.

At the end of day my advice to you is go out and search out what communities suit you and give them support, but at the same time you should respect the other communities even thou they didn't meet your needs.

Defined by me with the help of Dictionary.com:
com·mu·ni·ty /kəˈmyunɪti/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[kuh-myoo-ni-tee] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun, plural -ties.
1. a social group of any size whose members reside in a specific locality(filesharing), share government(sites cooperating with each other), and often have a common cultural and historical heritage(Have most likely dedicated quite a bit of time for the love of filesharing).If it sounds cheesy oh well that my viewpoint so shoot me. :P

I 100% agree.

I've been able to take alot away from your perspectives (everyone in this thread), from the newcomers to the guys who've been around since the beginning. I can understand that each one of you guys takes something different out of the communities, and I can understand why certain ones might be special to one person and not another. One man's wine is another man's vinegar, as SgtMajor said.

I want to say that this thread was mostly directed towards the people who obsess over tracker collecting and claim they aspire to be part of the community. I don't think this should be a valid excuse for any case, as you can't know what communities you'll want to be a part of until you join them. I know certain trackers I'm on were not what I'd thought they'd be, as far as community is concerned.

You guys have all really elucidated me as to what you guys consider a community should be. Thanks for the responses, and I'd like to hear more opinions on this.

Edit: Grammar

grimms
01-21-2008, 04:19 AM
TL is a disappointment when it comes to community but once again it's great for content. I think a mix of great content, great users, with a great thriving community is what makes a tracker special. Not just some list with levels. You raise a good point though.

stoi
01-21-2008, 04:31 AM
Hard for me to comment as im only a member of BCG.

I will be the first to say, we have a good community, but we can always make it better. but we do have a lot of members where English isnt their first language, but its a rule that English has to be wrote in the forums, so a hell of a lot probably dont post because of this reason.

also, we are a very specialised tracker, we probably have members that are not "that" intersested in games, but have joined for the odd 1 or 2 they can download.

you have to take into account the comments on the torrents as well, as a lot of members just post in there and not even bother with the forums regarding specific problems.

I have just had a look, and we get an average of 600 posts a day, 100 topics a day made.

But the XBOX 360 forums have been viewed 168,000 times in just a matter of months (since october), so that shows me that ppl go in there to see if there are answers to their questions, and usually there are so they dont need to post anything.

we do have forums for Movies/TV/Music and Anime, but as we are a games only tracker they dont get used that much.

But then you just have to look on FST, probably the quietest forum on here is the games forum. so i think that speaks for itself, a lot more people are more interested in Anime/Movies/TV/Music than there ever will be in Games, or at least talking about them anyway.

TheFoX
01-21-2008, 04:32 AM
When I hear the phrase, 'I want to join because of the community', it does make me laugh...

In the broadest sense, a community is a collection of people (village, town, country, site etc.).

A village is a community, as is a town. The bigger the community, the more segmented it can become.

Also, a community can have other boundaries. In Swindon town, we have the Scottish community, the Irish community, the Chinese community and other such divisions. It's a bit like the various clubs on FSC.

Needless to say, a man of Christian upbringing would probably feel uncomfortable being in a Muslim community, and vice versa. Thankfully, we do have communities that have various mixes in them, which provides variation.

Even with the simple communities offered by forums, it is not everyone's cup of tea. Why does someone feel at home at one forum, yet not at another? What is the deciding factor whether someone becomes involved in a community or not?

It's very much like makes of cars. Some people prefer Fords, some prefer Mercedes, some prefer BMWs, some prefer Volvo, etc., etc. How do you measure choice?

I love the FST forums, and the banter that goes on here (not all is healthy). I know many here, and at other sites, who I would call quality acquaintances (people I virtually trust). There are some here I would invite without a second thought to a tracker community.

I feel at home at FST, as I do at several other places. Yet there are other places I don't feel at home at. How do I justify my feelings? I can't...

To summarise, stereotyping communities as communities, is foolish. Just because someone hears that XXX has a good community does not necessarily mean that they will fit it. It may not be their cup of tea...

pandabear
01-21-2008, 04:47 AM
What i find weird is people say they are community users, but they still come here asking for invites. If they are truely community users, they will be good friends with alot of people and invites will be quite simple to get.

That aside, the community i enjoy the most atm has to be FST, its just a lot of fun reading the threads here, and a lot more interesting then a few of the hyped "community sites". Except for bcg of course ;) That site has crazy interesting forums, if you are into gaming. I could read some of those threads for days.

SAM
01-21-2008, 05:12 AM
well,
some people are really community lovers but language sometimes stand as obstacle in their way to communicate with others.
sometimes someone wrote something in English when i translated in my native language i got offended but later i found out he was just joking .
so making friends with different people from other countries is not that simple :)

Cabalo
01-21-2008, 05:29 AM
i speak for myself, community is not one of my top interests when joining to a generalist tracker but it does work for me in specialized trackers, like hardware, games, ebooks , etc...
and i believe no one can say in advance that he wants a tracker because of its community, because if you haven't been there yet, how can you know?

it's just like if i said i want to move to kansas city cuz people there are more friendly... how the fuck would i know?

i'm registered on several forums and i find myself participating at only those one that mean something to me, like filesharing or xtremesystems , though at the latter i read more than i write, cuz you go there mostly to learn with some gurus.
here i spent my first months reading mostly and getting to know how things work around here before deciding if i actually enjoyed here or no. and as a bit of 1337 spam can be made around here, i felt comfortable.

So, i feel that many requests for invites based on "me-loves-da-community-long-time-will-suck-for-five-dollah-to-get-in" sound a bit fake, or at least, not completely honest.
but hey, it's an argument like any other to get there. And it hurts no one to say that.

grimms
01-21-2008, 06:38 AM
When I hear the phrase, 'I want to join because of the community', it does make me laugh...

In the broadest sense, a community is a collection of people (village, town, country, site etc.).

A village is a community, as is a town. The bigger the community, the more segmented it can become.

Also, a community can have other boundaries. In Swindon town, we have the Scottish community, the Irish community, the Chinese community and other such divisions. It's a bit like the various clubs on FSC.

Needless to say, a man of Christian upbringing would probably feel uncomfortable being in a Muslim community, and vice versa. Thankfully, we do have communities that have various mixes in them, which provides variation.

Even with the simple communities offered by forums, it is not everyone's cup of tea. Why does someone feel at home at one forum, yet not at another? What is the deciding factor whether someone becomes involved in a community or not?

It's very much like makes of cars. Some people prefer Fords, some prefer Mercedes, some prefer BMWs, some prefer Volvo, etc., etc. How do you measure choice?

I love the FST forums, and the banter that goes on here (not all is healthy). I know many here, and at other sites, who I would call quality acquaintances (people I virtually trust). There are some here I would invite without a second thought to a tracker community.

I feel at home at FST, as I do at several other places. Yet there are other places I don't feel at home at. How do I justify my feelings? I can't...

To summarise, stereotyping communities as communities, is foolish. Just because someone hears that XXX has a good community does not necessarily mean that they will fit it. It may not be their cup of tea...

Very well put. I like your perspective on that. Interesting read. Thanks.:)

xtremesystems

Whats the site about. Is it for pc gaming? Or computers? Sounds like a forum i may want to join.

kyrcer
01-21-2008, 07:05 AM
Whats the site about. Is it for pc gaming? Or computers? Sounds like a forum i may want to join.

Realy you don't know ?

This is the most popular o/c forum in the world. :)

BurntBlue
01-21-2008, 07:16 AM
[/quote]
Smaller the group better the community.[/quote]

I'm a part of a couple great smaller communities and love em, but I guess they are also more niche communities with a fairly specific interest that also make em great :P It's cool to talk to people from around the world with the same basic interests. Love em :)

dinko
01-21-2008, 07:39 AM
some already said -community not cup of all , if some 1 need solution he post - get feed back from other users - he says happy & he having gr8 community \ he gets his desired request from there - he further happy , if he don't get such @ other place he says that place sucks .

but out of this community -we also have some life,work, family ,studies etc , isn't it :)

Dark Archon
01-21-2008, 07:55 AM
xtremesystems

thanks for the name :D

pandabear
01-21-2008, 07:59 AM
One thing i have always wonder is how people keep up with so many communities. I have tried to follow 4 communities (SCL. SCT, FTN, FST), via forums and irc and it was near impossible keeping up I mean at the moment i try to follow ftn and fst, and with work or going anywhere, i end up falling far behind these forums, so i just end up clicking catch up when i haven't read half the stuff i wanted too.

krunktastic
01-21-2008, 08:05 AM
One thing i have always wonder is how people keep up with so many communities. I have tried to follow 4 communities (SCL. SCT, FTN, FST), via forums and irc and it was near impossible keeping up I mean at the moment i try to follow ftn and fst, and with work or going anywhere, i end up falling far behind these forums, so i just end up clicking catch up when i haven't read half the stuff i wanted too.

Is the community at ScL really all it's cracked up to be? It seems to me, from the outside, that a beginning site would have a struggling community, much less an active one.

grimms
01-21-2008, 08:16 AM
Is the community at ScL really all it's cracked up to be? It seems to me, from the outside, that a beginning site would have a struggling community, much less an active one.

Scl is a great tracker and has a thriving community. Very happy to be there.:)

pandabear
01-21-2008, 08:26 AM

Well the forums aren't for me. They don't exactly sturggle, as their is a solid userbase, who are active in the forums. But more the topics of the forums are quite dull for me. They are threads where you can basically place a few lines post, and your done with the thread. There seems a lack of real discussion, with a lot of the topics being shallow things like "what colour car do you have?" etc. However i can't say i have given it a really goood go, as i was already entwined in the ftn community and was starting to become a part of fst, when i got invited to scl. However i am sure the threads content will slowly improve as people become more and more familiar with each other. Also i told this to a friend of mine, who invited me to the site and is staff there, and he says its something wrong on my side, since everyoneelse loves it. So its case in point of not going after a site for community, as it won't always be your cup of tea, as TheFoX puts it.

Detale
01-21-2008, 09:05 AM
OK time for a biggie:

Thats cause you never F*ckin LEAVE!!!

That's an odd question...why is any thread necessary? why are there forums at all...to discuss ideas ;)

As to the OP I have to disagree. I've found that most of the forums on "top level" trackers are pretty good. There are two in particular that I really enjoy and find to be very welcoming. Another that a lot of people love to beg for I don't find I have much in common with the posters...mainly because the maturity level is lacking, however the content on that tracker more then makes up for it so I still love it :D

EDIT:

I would agree that it's getting pretty annoying hearing community as an excuse for asking for a tracker. While community may be important all these collectors trying to extend their e-penis are making me sick :sick:

Tip one if you truly cared about community you'd have mates to invite you and you wouldn't need to ask on a public forum.

Tip two if you have trouble communicating it's pretty obvious you're full of shit. If you can't make sensible posts how are you ever going to get along on community based trackers :rolleyes:

Tip three THEY ALL HAVE THE SAME CONTENT :yup:

First off you're a HOMO Sear, but have a good point. RE: Why is this thread necessary?" UH because thats what we do here, make threads and share ideas and opinions. IE

Reasons To Register (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-everything-related-board-9/t-filesharingtalkcom-welcome-125697)
You can post questions, answer some, and be part of the community

I find there is no ryme or reason to tracker forums, I think it all circumstantial As in life sometimes you fit in other times you don't.

As fot the "Community" excuse and I would say 99% of the time thats exactly what it is. I have been here for a wee bit and in my time here I have seen trends of things happen Like the whole "anti trader" movement. It has become trendy to be an anti trader and more recently the whole "I hear good things about the community" Well then!? get an invite from one of these people why don't cha? My problem isn't with traders or anti traders Staff or members, My problem is with people who are full of 5hit. If you want it for the content thats ok too as someone up there^ said TL has good content but the community ain't the greatest. Thats OK no one is good at everything but be honest about it. So it also makes me sick but for different reasons.

Also that image of sear and the goat burned into my brain:sick:

A quick review of anyones post history here gives you a good idea of whether they are a community person or a collector it even shows you the percentage of posts in which section you are most active in so sometimes you don't even need to review the post history.

This is prob one of the best pieces of advice here. To the pneubs please remember this and try and do your best to follow it!

And that is exactly the main problem ;)

If you're a "random" in there (which we -all- have been one time), you're not too welcome.. I want to join a community when they don't look at nicks and for how many weeks you've been a member..

There are some great communities out there, but unfortunately there are too many "who the fuck are you to talk?"-communities to "noobs"..

-Vidde =)

Firstly Who the Fuck are you to talk!!!! :P JK

As someone said welcome to FST and thats why when I see someone picking on the new guy, because it does happen too I try and explain that we we ALL at one point the new guy. To the VETS you guys should do this too

Damn True!!.

I am born and raised in Brooklyn NYC so needless to say I come from one of the largest and most diverse Communities in the world.
I also have to mention I lived in Los Angeles for 5-6 years

The differences are amazing NY has a larger community but they are way more civil to one and other especially after 9/11 the mood of everyone was changed unbelievably and everyone sticks together on a grand scale as "New Yorkers"

Now LA a smaller community they have that Gang stuff there, there are no gangs like that here and LA has way less diversity. So in short ( cause the wife is rushing me off the computer)I think that it's more the type of people rather than community size thats important

more to come...

grimms
01-21-2008, 09:22 AM
@Detale. That was real talk right there. I had to laugh at some of the stuff you said.

I do agree though honesty is the best policy. Just be real about what you want and what your after. Yes people will make opinions about you. Just like in real life some people or communities will like you, and others don't. I choose to focus my efforts on the people who like having me around, and don't give a damn about who doesn't like me (stone cold steve austin style)What?, What?:01:

But yea TL's forum community is horrible:sick: (I know the mods at TL viewing this won't give a shit) but it's true. If you go to one of their threads like (movies and tv) the last post is like from 2004 at 12:34am or something. Their content on the other hand is like a 9.5/10. I love FST:fst:. I love reading various views on things and either agree on them or not. Oh well...:rolleyes:

monk3y
01-21-2008, 09:29 AM

i agree with you but i also agree with the writer of this thread that there are some people who don't care about content and look only for the "community".

grimms
01-21-2008, 09:31 AM
i agree with you but i also agree with the writer of this thread that there are some people who don't care about content and look only for the "community".

It fly's both ways.

LordS
01-21-2008, 09:48 AM
I'm one of those people, personally I don't care what the torrents are. Just whether i like the users or not.

monk3y
01-21-2008, 10:25 AM
I'm one of those people, personally I don't care what the torrents are. Just whether i like the users or not.

you don't care if you hear that one site has great packs and it's packs you won't find anywhere of old and new movies you like ? you won't try signing up ?

LordS
01-21-2008, 10:34 AM
Nope, my internet is slow and packs don't really interest me lol (small HDD space too).

I get the select things I think I'll like based upon imdb stats.

grimms
01-21-2008, 10:48 AM
Nope, my internet is slow and packs don't really interest me lol (small HDD space too).

I get the select things I think I'll like based upon imdb stats.

I use that database too for movies. Read user opinions and the intial vote from the reviewer to see if it peaks my interest enough to download the film, unless of course i already know i want the film once it has been released. I usually go to imdb for films i never heard of, or maybe heard of but need more to go on before downloading (so i am not wasting my ratio basically).

monk3y
01-21-2008, 11:11 AM
yea imdb pwnz upon downloading or going to cinema i first check it on imdb :)

krunktastic
01-21-2008, 05:23 PM

I find that I gravitate more towards sites with better users, but I also have to have a reason to be a member. I wouldn't be able to be active at a site if its content weren't up to par, but that's just my opinion.

magushun
01-21-2008, 09:33 PM

just forget that place if you call yourself somebody who likes movies...
1.) they just hate movies which arent mainstream blockbusters
2.) do you really trust a site which says Lord of the Rings is one of the top movies ever? simply lol

grimms
01-21-2008, 09:40 PM

just forget that place if you call yourself somebody who likes movies...
1.) they just hate movies which arent mainstream blockbusters
2.) do you really trust a site which says Lord of the Rings is one of the top movies ever? simply lol

Ah LOTR was... and I hate alot of the crap out now.

shutdk
01-21-2008, 09:55 PM

Your bench is your community.

Diiyad
01-21-2008, 10:15 PM

Your bench is your community.

I live with my grandmother and her two roommates. :yup:

Giveaway
01-21-2008, 11:44 PM

yes that's true and its better to get known by few good ppl

pandabear
01-22-2008, 03:40 AM

Thats what you get for living is australia fool. Delete some of your kangaroo porn and you might get some hdd space back.:happy:

LordS
01-22-2008, 10:20 AM
Neva!

Says the guy who's got a PC full of sheep porn u dirty kiwi.

dinko
01-22-2008, 10:33 AM
sheep porn :huh:

briand5379
01-22-2008, 10:40 AM
Lords sometimes I worry about you with your sheep porn.

LordS
01-22-2008, 11:08 AM
im not the kiwi, Toofast is.