PDA

View Full Version : Pay per download pricing?!?!

kostnkost
01-21-2008, 02:59 AM
Say it isn't so!!

http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/006319.html

Sounds ridiculous, but if implemented how would this affect downloading torrents? Would people actually pay for this?

Adam1990
01-21-2008, 03:44 AM
All I can say is thank god for verizon fios. They want you to use your bandwidth.

kostnkost
01-21-2008, 03:49 AM
All I can say is thank god for verizon fios. They want you to use your bandwidth.

I hear yah!! I live in NY and you have the option of Verizon or Optimum Online. Right now I am sticking with OOL, but if things go this route, I will gladly switch.

jonny81985
01-21-2008, 03:50 AM
wow that seems really unfair, I mean why advertise that you supply superfast lines then charge people for using the speed to much

avoozl
01-24-2008, 04:56 AM

I just called verizon today to find out how much it would cost to upgrade my 15/2 line to a 15/15 line. Only $13 more per month.

I placed the order today, and they tell me I will have 15megabit upload come tomorrow.

All hail FIOS!!!

kyuuchi
01-24-2008, 05:13 AM
Time Warner would put caps on usage and charge more should you use too much bandwidth based on your monthly plan. For example, if you view too many streamed online videos, buy too many songs from iTunes, or are a heavy user of P2P services than you might get hit with a Time Warner "overage charge."

Looks like they are pushing users back to dial up, go TW

Nukewire
01-24-2008, 05:20 AM
I just called verizon today to find out how much it would cost to upgrade my 15/2 line to a 15/15 line. Only $13 more per month.

All hail FIOS!!!
Holy crap!! 15/15?
I wish i didn't live in the sticks... all i can get is 3/2... :cry:

aysomc
01-24-2008, 06:03 AM
thats gonna be one of the main things i look at when i move again, whether or not i can get fios in that area. amazing speeds at great prices and they encourage downloading, love it. right now im stuck with comcast and its making it impossible to keep up on all the sites i use and i dont even have that many compared to most people who download as much as me. :(

VIZFX
01-24-2008, 06:04 AM
The pay for download shit is not going to work. Most people are going to move somewhere else except for the those that are too lazy or don't have another choice. Well see what happens.

Stevis
01-24-2008, 07:00 AM
Man, I sure love having Time Warner.

lukekenny
01-24-2008, 07:03 AM
That precisely what is implemented by many ISPs India where they have download caps on 2Mbps+ connections of 30Gigs ONLY per month...

DanielleD87
01-24-2008, 07:33 AM
in this country (USA) it is against the law to do so unless the laws change, so this news article is speculation aka mainly bs, like most news articles are today.

disconny
01-24-2008, 08:51 AM
in this country (USA) it is against the law to do so unless the laws change, so this news article is speculation aka mainly bs, like most news articles are today.
give proof

yayyyyyy
01-24-2008, 11:39 AM
in many places is like there... .AU for sure... and also some .uk and .be isp afaik....

TP635
01-24-2008, 11:59 AM
The pay for download shit is not going to work. Most people are going to move somewhere else except for the those that are too lazy or don't have another choice. Well see what happens.

Heavy users are a small minority, but they used up the biggest part of the system. The big majority of the users may just use the internet to check the email and stuff like that. Why should they be paying the same rate as us?
Do we pay the same rate for our electric bill, our phone bill, our water bill? Nope; Just get used to the idea; because soon or later this may be the way we pay the net bill.

You must be mistaken....

stoi
01-24-2008, 02:02 PM
well if thats all they do they should be on the cheapest plan anyway imo.

I pay £35 pm for 20meg down 756Kbs upload.

so if i pay that i should be able to use it. if i didnt use the net much i would be on their 1meg down 256KBs upload for a 1/3 of the price.

Web pages will load up the same, i will get emails the same, so i would be on the cheaper tariff.

What get`s me though is RIAA/MPAA etc etc say they are loosing billions to piracy, then ISP`s come out and say, well only 5% of our users use 50% of the BW. so something doesnt add up there somewhere for me.

grimms
01-24-2008, 04:37 PM
wow that seems really unfair, I mean why advertise that you supply superfast lines then charge people for using the speed to much

Thats how the cable people stay in business trust me i know from experience. Oh all the comcast meetings i was forced to participate in..:rolleyes:

What get`s me though is RIAA/MPAA etc etc say they are loosing billions to piracy, then ISP`s come out and say, well only 5% of our users use 50% of the BW. so something doesnt add up there somewhere for me.

They just stated recently that they made mistakes about their contrived report regarding the percentage of users who pirate. I guess it was really only 14% or something in 2006 but they claimed that someone in rank who does the reports mistyped the real figures and they sumbitted a report saying 51% of users mostly college students were pirating. I tell you the riaa/mpaa and their tricks.:sick:

Cable companies are greedy. They don't like the fact that with FCC regulations in place, they can't charge hundreds of dollars for ISP and cable service. Thats the real battle going on involving bittorrent. They don't like that fact that their users actually want and have a need to use up their full bandwidth(comcast network), so Comcast and other isp's are going back on their advertisted speed and promises. Verizon is a different beast and as of right now doesn't really give a shit about how much bandwidth users use(atm). No sweat off their back for now that is.

briand5379
01-24-2008, 08:41 PM
It sounds like an attempt to charge more on different plans. So they'll charge a flat fee for everyone and if you use more then so much then they'll charge you more. Now of course if you use less you'll still be paying the flat fee.

DanielleD87
01-29-2008, 01:20 AM
give proof
it is fcc regulations. read the fine print and you will find it. i have a friend that works in that section for the gov just dealing with isp and broadband abuse. it is split up to three sections from there (i think) and he works for one of them. i don't know the details but he said that isps in this country are required to offer an unlimited plan at such en such price and so i think they could offer a pay as you go plan as long as they offer an unlimited plan within the required max monthly price the fcc will let them. everything is highly regulated.

lostdemon
01-29-2008, 02:07 AM
I use time warner fuck them
I will be screwed if they do that in my area and thats the best one here

slimdogp
01-29-2008, 02:47 AM
A few things to take a look at before we all start talking out of our asses..

http://www.sfweekly.com/2008-01-23/news/bittorrent-comcast-eff-antipathetic-to-fcc-regulation-of-p2p-traffic/full
http://www.publicknowledge.org/node/423

As a comcast user of course I would prefer my packet heads NOT be tampered with. I would also prefer unlimited monthly bandwidth. I'm very interested to see how this all shakes out this year.

I live in a verizon area, but no FIOS yet :(

Hopefully either the FCC will require Comcast to behave themselves, or I will get FIOS this year..

Time will tell. Hang in there everyone who is possibly being affected by bandwidth limits or traffic shaping!

slim-