PDA

View Full Version : new member, confused about ratio proofs

timeisaapear
01-21-2008, 07:58 AM
I'm wondering why people blot out so many things in their ratio proof shots? It seems like they would be easy to steal from someone else, seeing that the username is blotted out in most screens. Wouldn't it make more sense to keep the username in there? What harm does it cause to leave it in? I think for me it lends more creedence to see a screen that matches a users FST screen name. And some even blot out the decimals in the amount downloaded and uploaded, wtf?

Or maybe I'm just incredibly naive.

Anyone want to school me?
Steve

antitrader
01-21-2008, 08:02 AM
there is speed test too , i think its cool

Stevis
01-21-2008, 08:02 AM
A safety issue for the users. A lot of trackers don't want their names shown anywhere, and if a person keep their account name in the screenshot, there's always a chance they could get banned.

krunktastic
01-21-2008, 08:03 AM
It's really to conceal the identity of the people posting because usually they are traders, or are doing something against site policy.

Stealing ratios can be done, but afaik isn't necessarily a problem. However, it could be done so I always tag mine with smileys, etc.

Although, I don't do it because I break site rules - it's just that you can never be too safe about revealing your account name.

sugam
01-21-2008, 08:03 AM
The only proof for me is a profile link with certain comment. ;)

one2one
01-21-2008, 08:16 AM
The only proof for me is a profile link with certain comment. ;)
+1

timeisaapear
01-21-2008, 08:18 AM
yea, live profile links would definitely seem to be the way to go. i'm not so sure i caught whatever you insinuated by the wink? me being a n00b and all...

sugam
01-21-2008, 08:21 AM
wink is just a... wink ;)

timeisaapear
01-21-2008, 08:23 AM
haha ok, i just was confused by what you meant exactly in "with certain comment"

sugam
01-21-2008, 08:29 AM
haha ok, i just was confused by what you meant exactly in "with certain comment"

As everybody can sent link to other profiles you may ask them to comment a torrent, insert soemthing in the profile etc, to proof that the profile belongs to them. Of course you have to own an account in the pointed tracker which can result in a kind of inconvinience...

timeisaapear
01-21-2008, 08:46 AM
Yea, I'm on TL and hdbits among others, and sometimes people don't have those...and unfortunately I spelled my username wrong registering here, so some people might think im trying to jack "timeisapear"..but 'tis me, soyently.

grimms
01-21-2008, 08:55 AM
I do it to protect my identity. Not that i have anything to hide cause i don't. You just want to be safe. Alot of users also could not be trusted on this shit (some traders, all cheaters and all scammers). Gotta be smart and protect yourself.

Sanka113
01-21-2008, 09:00 AM
The thing about direct links is that if you participate in,or do a giveaway, the person(s) may not belong to the tracker that you want to link them to. I personally show the fst tab,speedtest, and tracker tab in my proofs. It's hard to photoshop all those tabs over and over again when you make proofs,so i feel it's reasonably safe.