PDA

View Full Version : Most stable/secure script at this moment?

Giorgi
01-22-2008, 10:44 PM
Hello

I have seen lots of them, tbdev, btiteam, xbtt, torrentrader, torrentstrike, templateshares...

there are so many of them, I wonder which is most stable/secure to use? :rolleyes:

Cabalo
01-23-2008, 03:03 AM
if there were one, everybody would use it.
each of them has their own pros and cons. maybe it depends on the kind of tracker/community you have in mind when u make the choice.

patto75
01-23-2008, 10:50 AM
Also you have to remember some are more popular than others, can receive more advice and help unlike others.

rvt
01-23-2008, 11:04 AM
The language it's written in is also a deciding factor.
I can follow along with c/c++, but would not feel comfortable making changes for security, therefore I use PHP based trackers. Obviously, if you prefer c/c++ you'd go with something like xbtt.
You also need to consider setup with the various languages. A php/perl based tracker will run on most webspaces, a c/c++ based tracker will require access to a shell and compiler.

Either way, I would not trust any of them to be entirely secure out of the box. There are always various exploits, although xbtt doesn't seem to have any easily findable ones.

Giveaway
01-23-2008, 01:13 PM
dude, every software has it pros and cons..i dont think there is just one that is the best

Hanz™
01-23-2008, 04:18 PM
Most good trackers have rewritten a lot of their tbdev code, so this question doesn't really mean anything.

Giorgi
01-23-2008, 06:34 PM
Then I will try to be specefic, any source that has "Design completly separated from code" and comes with admin panel...

kaler
01-23-2008, 08:04 PM
use TBDEV DR source Good Thing about that source is Security and performance :D

yozshura
01-23-2008, 11:32 PM
Most good trackers have rewritten a lot of their tbdev code, so this question doesn't really mean anything.
Agree, every good tracker i've used does this. But for small community the tbdev should be fine.

Giorgi
01-24-2008, 07:29 PM
tbdev sux, its all messed up. I will prolly choose TorrentTrader, because of its relative maturity...

TheFoX
01-24-2008, 08:10 PM
tbdev sux, its all messed up. I will prolly choose TorrentTrader, because of its relative maturity...

Ironic that you ask a question about which is more secure, because of your inexperience with the various sources, then you gain enough knowledge to judge that TBDev sucks.

I don't think the question of which source is the most stable or secure is a suitable one. The question should be, which source is best suited to a total n00bie, in which case I would answer NONE...

As for TorrentTrader, where do you think they got their code from in the first place?

Just about every source derives from the same originating platform, which is ByteMonsoon.

As for security and stability, these are only as good as your own coding knowledge is, since it is the coder/installer who has to make sure that server vulnerabilities are significantly reduced (like the default no password on admin MySQL access).

Jaits
01-24-2008, 09:51 PM

now i ve heard it all

u drew my curiosity so i downloaded that source and checked it out.. apart from the fact that 1/2 of the code is ripped of tbdev, they have done an amazing job at making it even more inefficient than it was originally...
:frusty:

they added 2 freaking indexes on 2 fields that are updated by the tracker ffs (on every announce - probably to speed up cleanup which runs every 30min)... u cant do worse than that .... really u cant... u slow down the most important, most hit page on the tracker to speed up a process that runs every 30 min that doesnt even need to run that fast.

enough said.

rvt
01-25-2008, 01:33 AM
http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?word1=torrenttrader+exploit&word2=tbdev+exploit

Yep, torrenttrader kicks tbdevs ass when it comes to exploits :lol:

Morbo
01-25-2008, 03:44 AM
Im currently using TemplateShares, and have found it to be quite unstable.

For something that we pay for, i would have thought there would be more. Its probably secure for the most part, however xam's coding is extremely sloppy. Or, i should say, he hasn't cleaned up everybody else's code in there. Can't stick to a single naming convention, so you have things called thisonehere, this_otherone, The_Name_Of_Something, and so on and so forth.

Its time for us to replace TS with something else, i think. :)

Giorgi
01-25-2008, 09:02 AM

Ironic that you ask a question about which is more secure, because of your inexperience with the various sources, then you gain enough knowledge to judge that TBDev sucks.

I don't think the question of which source is the most stable or secure is a suitable one. The question should be, which source is best suited to a total n00bie, in which case I would answer NONE...

As for TorrentTrader, where do you think they got their code from in the first place?

Just about every source derives from the same originating platform, which is ByteMonsoon.

As for security and stability, these are only as good as your own coding knowledge is, since it is the coder/installer who has to make sure that server vulnerabilities are significantly reduced (like the default no password on admin MySQL access).

NO! when I said messed up, I meant that code is mixed with design and from templating point of view, yep it sux!

The really interesting situation is in fact, that nobody has created stable, secure and clean source so far... thats sort of paradox, there is demand but not supply

LordS
01-25-2008, 09:30 AM
http://projectgazelle.org/

Nuff Said.

rvt
01-25-2008, 11:19 AM
For starters, gazelle has not yet been released. It's hard to call it stable and secure when it's not yet in alpha.

Secondly, nothing is known about how secure it will be. What we do know is that What was hacked. Whether they carry their tbdev security over remains to be seen. Good luck to them though.

Giorgi
01-28-2008, 02:05 PM
Gazell is using C++ I would like to stick with PHP (back and front)

yozshura
01-28-2008, 09:42 PM
Anyone tried this ?

http://diferior.com/Look really promising, i like the idea of combination a blog/cms and a tracker

Giveaway
01-28-2008, 10:47 PM
Anyone tried this ?

http://diferior.com/Look really promising, i like the idea of combination a blog/cms and a tracker
guy, it's still a beta.
lets wait some more time

Jaits
02-23-2008, 05:41 PM
NO! when I said messed up, I meant that code is mixed with design and from templating point of view, yep it sux!

The really interesting situation is in fact, that nobody has created stable, secure and clean source so far... thats sort of paradox, there is demand but not supply

what demand? if u dont want to put the time to learn how ur source works and to modify it, ur tracker will probably be a failure... demand from ppl that refuse to put the time has almost 0 value in the torrent world. that is apparent from the many sites that use TemplateShares, yet 90% of them close down after a couple of months... u might wanna ask urself y that happens... its certainly not cause of the lack of features :P

besides, to remove hte design from the code is extremely easy.. just throw smarty at it and move all the html in the templates.. its no more than a days work.. but it has 0 value for anyone running a site already, as any decent site, has its own coder, so seperating the design from the code is actually MORE work when u wanna make changes that require both the design and the code to be changed, so y bother doing it? let alone of the fact that smarty slows down the execution of the script (marginally, but its a slow down nonetheless)

what makes u think the ppl that know how to write such code wish to create a one-for-all cms type solution so that everyone starts a site with thousands of peers without putting any effort in? creating a fancy stylesheet is NOT effort.

i dont feel theres a need to shift torrent trackers and make them like forums are today where anyone can get vbulleting or ipb and make a huge forum and do 0 amount of coding... the best of forums, also have their own coders anyhow, despite the plethora of features these systems offer.

offcourse, the more trackers there are, the better it is... but not when trackers are created for the wrong reasons, or from the wrong ppl... and failing to be willing to acquire the skills required to run a tracker, or refusing to learn along the way, does qualify u in the 'wrong ppl' group inmo