PDA

View Full Version : Another advice to the new guys

monk3y
01-23-2008, 10:37 PM
This was the 1st by johnny81985 :
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-bittorrent-43/t-some-advice-new-guys-271485

here's my advice, KEEP IT SHORT.
explain: in the past few weeks, i've seen here threads of new users making endless lectures trying to analyze bittorrent world or explaining to us their mind thoughts on bittorrent well here's the thing, i don't have nor the time nor the power nor the patience to read this 10,000 words speeches so try keeping it short, it's easier to understand and faster.
I think there are couple of guys here who agrees with me :pinch:
Have a magical day everybody :sorcerer:

fOrUmAs
01-23-2008, 10:41 PM
please we need more thread abouth advice:shutup:

u could just post that in johnny81985 thread lol

:sick:

LordS
01-23-2008, 10:44 PM
test

SenorBubbz
01-23-2008, 10:46 PM
test LordS?
and when I posted to delete the post in that other thread, I MEANT THE MAIN POST THAT STARTED THE THREAD

anyway, that's for the advice fusionz, comes in handy

krunktastic
01-23-2008, 10:49 PM
I'm sorry, I was one of those people wasn't I panda. :P

monk3y
01-23-2008, 10:51 PM

can't recall if you were.
i see LordS has already got the idea, learn from him ( damn this clover guys are geniuses ).

Sanka113
01-23-2008, 11:16 PM
We'll most people here just want their Springer-like'final thoughts' to be heard. There's no harm to share your thoughts on here. Also, please remember that a majority of FSTers are college students. We like to share and reflect on things that have enlightened us lol.

Stay tuned to my analysis of the relationship between giving and trading.

buggyfresh
01-23-2008, 11:16 PM
lol for real..why not just have an "advice" thread (and then I could ignore it lol :P)

krunktastic
01-23-2008, 11:17 PM

can't recall if you were.
i see LordS has already got the idea, learn from him ( damn this clover guys are geniuses ).

Lmao at "test"

Sanka113
01-23-2008, 11:21 PM
Yeah, an Ask Adam thread would be helpful here. He could respond to questions like this:

Dear Adam, I've got a FSC invite and I met this hot girl on the net that happens to live by me. She said she'd sex me up if I gave her the invite. Would this constitute as a "trade"?

monk3y
01-23-2008, 11:23 PM
We'll most people here just want their Springer-like'final thoughts' to be heard. There's no harm to share your thoughts on here. Also, please remember that a majority of FSTers are college students. We like to share and reflect on things that have enlightened us lol.

Stay tuned to my analysis of the relationship between giving and trading.

i don't mind if you tell me what you think about blue peanuts as long as you keep it short.
for example: i like blue peanuts cause they are blue.
bad example: i like blue peanuts cause the theory first explained by albert einstein on the origin of the color blue is BLA BLA BLA YADA YADA YADA.

Yeah, an Ask Adam thread would be helpful here. He could respond to questions like this:

Dear Adam, I've got a FSC invite and I met this hot girl on the net that happens to live by me. She said she'd sex me up if I gave her the invite. Would this constitute as a "trade"?

LMAO!

shurato
01-24-2008, 12:10 AM

A word to the wise, if the "girl" is "SexyAznGrl6969", don't do it man. Let's just say that no parts of her username are true.

DV8type
01-24-2008, 12:37 AM

wow thats a tuff one....i might let that slide if there are pics
:naughty:

:glag:

kaoblanco
01-24-2008, 01:46 AM
Lord knows we need more dialouge on p2p logos.

It's file transfer, not a philosophy people.. :rolleyes:

grimms
01-24-2008, 01:58 AM
lol for real..why not just have an "advice" thread (and then I could ignore it lol :P)

Then ignore the BT section as well.;)

A word to the wise, if the "girl" is "SexyAznGrl6969", don't do it man. Let's just say that no parts of her username are true.

Looks like you fell victim to her pranks then?:naughty: j/k man.;)

Artemis
01-24-2008, 02:10 AM
Sorry to hear about the ADD fusionz :whistling

(was that short enough ? I can draw a picture if needed?)

Polarbear
01-24-2008, 02:16 AM

explain: in the past few weeks, i've seen here threads of new users making endless lectures trying to analyze bittorrent world or explaining to us their mind thoughts on bittorrent well here's the thing, i don't have nor the time nor the power nor the patience to read this 10,000 words speeches so try keeping it short, it's easier to understand and faster.

actually i disagree.

when i plan to invite someone to a tracker i want to know as much as possible about him and i will defintely read what he has to say.

the more information i get about him, the easier my decision. i also would like to know, if he has the abilty to introduce himself and express his thoughts in a proper way.

so i don't mind if he writes 1.000 words because it gives me a better chance to find out about his character and analyze the person better.

you will be suprised how much you can find about a person just by reading his posts on this forum.

if you are too lazy to read a well written long requests it's probably too exhausting for you to check someone's post history as well.

i don't read much in the invite section lately, but i can tell exactly what is a promising request and what is not.

in fact i would compare it with a job application where you attach a kind of cv of your torrent life.

there are shitty jobs and there are great jobs.

you don't get the great ones with: "can i have it pllzzzzzzz"

this is a forum, not an irc.

you don't have many chances to requests sites like ftn or fsc (if you have any at all).

make up your mind, prepare your post and write as much as you can about yourself in an interesting and intelligent way.

some are waiting for month to get into those sites, but they don't want to spend half an hour to use some online dictionaries (if not native english) and prepare a well formulated request, that attracts positive attention.

looking back to the past few month i've been a member here, the long requests were the successful requests.

has anyone of you prepared a requests and sent it to a senior member asking for feedback before posting it?

could be worth a try.

find help, ask for advice and get feedback.

this is a community and not a warzone for lone warriors.

even though the invite section sometimes reminds me of a playground for difficult children.

p.s. thanks for reading a quite long post, fusionz. next time i just put a "-1" under yours ;)

jonny81985
01-24-2008, 03:13 AM

actually i disagree.

when i plan to invite someone to a tracker i want to know as much as possible about him and i will defintely read what he has to say.

the more information i get about him, the easier my decision. i also would like to know, if he has the abilty to introduce himself and express his thoughts in a proper way.

so i don't mind if he writes 1.000 words because it gives me a better chance to find out about his character and analyze the person better.

you will be suprised how much you can find about a person just by reading his posts on this forum.

if you are too lazy to read a well written long requests it's probably too exhausting for you to check someone's post history as well.

i don't read much in the invite section lately, but i can tell exactly what is a promising request and what is not.

in fact i would compare it with a job application where you attach a kind of cv of your torrent life.

there are shitty jobs and there are great jobs.

you don't get the great ones with: "can i have it pllzzzzzzz"

this is a forum, not an irc.

you don't have many chances to requests sites like ftn or fsc (if you have any at all).

make up your mind, prepare your post and write as much as you can about yourself in an interesting and intelligent way.

some are waiting for month to get into those sites, but they don't want to spend half an hour to use some online dictionaries (if not native english) and prepare a well formulated request, that attracts positive attention.

looking back to the past few month i've been a member here, the long requests were the successful requests.

has anyone of you prepared a requests and sent it to a senior member asking for feedback before posting it?

could be worth a try.

find help, ask for advice and get feedback.

this is a community and not a warzone for lone warriors.

even though the invite section sometimes reminds me of a playground for difficult children.

p.s. thanks for reading a quite long post, fusionz. next time i just put a "-1" under yours ;)

I definitely agree with polarbear. One of the concepts that separates us from animals is the ability to clearly and coherently express our thoughts and needs. One of my major complaints about people on forums is improper grammar and the inability to express themselves concisely and clearly.

I think that it is a lot easier to judge a man's (or women's) character by reading what they write. If someone can't express themselves with the written word properly it may be an indication that they may not know how to behave properly either. I am not saying this is always the case as I know a lot of great people who aren't the best writers, but vulgarity and aggressive behavior usually indicate the type of person not wanted in a tight knit community.

This is by no means some rant about how I think I am better than anyone else (because I don't). I will also say that humility is another quality that I look for in a person and a great indication of character. My original post wasn't intended to put anyone down or make them angry, it was merely just a word f advice to some newer users around here. To be completely honest, I wish someone would have posted something like that for me to read when I first arrived here.

I guess we all have different views, opinions, and beliefs and I respect that. I was never trying to start an argument or cause any sort of problems, I was just merely trying to help

If I offended you I do apologize but I am entitled to my own opinions and to post what I think is necessary.

Jon

P.S.
Sorry for the long post lol

grimms
01-24-2008, 05:33 AM
Yea the invite me plzz, i'll die right now literally if i don't get invite liek this second please your hurting me feeling not getting it invite right now plzzzz??? Not to make fun of folk on this site but thats one of my pet peeves. I do understand some members have language barriers and are not quite eqiupped with speaking proper english but i would also suggest putting better thought into your invite approach. Not sounding like your 3 years old when my daughters only six. When it's well thought out and concise, it equals a must read for me. Also just be brutally honest about why you want a tracker as well.

SAM
01-24-2008, 05:50 AM
I GUESS , i enjoy reading long posts
i think they should keep it long
AND IF YOU DON'T HAVE TIME JUST DON'T READ :)

pandabear
01-24-2008, 06:06 AM

QFT

On a note, when you make it long people usually just skim through it or just close the thread, meaning you could lose potential invitees.

chiefosceola
01-24-2008, 06:35 AM
I'm still trying to find the 10,000 word post. Or maybe a few on this site sees more than three word as 10,000. Not sure but honestly for me I'd read a full coherent chapter on a view than a few badly written criticisms.

VIZFX
01-24-2008, 06:48 AM
Basically KISS

grimms
01-24-2008, 07:22 AM
Respect people, their wishes, be active, speak as clear and concise as you can, participate, don't trade, all the usual to instill trust in other good users.

Cheffy
01-24-2008, 07:35 AM
I have to agree with polarbear onn this one.
I have seeing posts that just a lazy atempt to get one extra post count on their stats.

If you hate reading long posts were people express their wishes and opinions you should perhaps consider restricting your self to the forum games there you can usually get +1 one with a single word.

See here i wrote all this, and all i could have done was quote polarbear press +1 then select a smiley.

Horatiu
01-24-2008, 07:38 AM
I have to agree with polarbear onn this one.
I have seeing posts that just a lazy atempt to get one extra post count on their stats.

If you hate reading long posts were people express their wishes and opinions you should perhaps consider restricting your self to the forum games there you can usually get +1 one with a single word.

See here i wrote all this, and all i could have done was quote polarbear press +1 then select a smiley.

+1 :)

yacine911
01-24-2008, 12:21 PM
hey thx for the advice

monk3y
01-24-2008, 05:37 PM

QFT

On a note, when you make it long people usually just skim through it or just close the thread, meaning you could lose potential invitees.

that's exactly my point, not everyone have the patience polarbear has god bless him :)

jonny81985
01-24-2008, 05:47 PM
When people write +1 what does that mean??

Jon

Horatiu
01-24-2008, 06:00 PM
When people write +1 what does that mean??

Jon

Usually it means that they agree with what they've quoted.

stitched
01-24-2008, 06:08 PM
Respect people, their wishes, be active, speak as clear and concise as you can, participate, don't trade, all the usual to instill trust in other good users.

nice :dabs:

grimms
01-24-2008, 06:13 PM

nice :dabs:

Are you surprised?:rolleyes: