PDA

View Full Version : Man Who Leaked “the Hulk” Busted By F.b.i.

sharedholder
07-29-2003, 08:13 PM
P2PForums broke the news back on June 8th about the then upcoming summer blockbuster “The Hulk” getting leaked on the net. In fact it found its way onto the net nearly two weeks before its official theater release. Well it seems as if movie buffs where not the only one who took notice of it. Wednesday afternoon Kerry Gonzalez, pleaded guilty to felony copyright infringement charges in U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York

It seems as if Gonzalez obtained the copy from a friend who worked for an advertising firm associated with the movie. Gonzalez then copied the movie onto his P.C. Then used I.R.C. chat rooms to begin its distribution. The movie was traced back to Gonzalez by the F.B.I.’s C.H.I.P.S. (FBI's Computer Hacking and Intellectual Property Squad) unit. Gonzalez will receive his sentence by the end of September. The maximum he can receive is three years in prison, and a $250,000 fine.

P2PForums suspects this will be a chilling warning to all those who might distribute films online. We also wonder how the F.B.I. was able to track this back to Gonzalez. It could have been because there was a limited number of places the “workprint” could have come from. It is also be possible the film had some personal identification marks that where missed by the releasers when the rest where stripped out. Yet another strike against P2P in these some what darkening times.

Story First Broke By CNET

Gre1
07-29-2003, 09:09 PM
This is old news and its been posted before

Jg427
07-29-2003, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by Gre1@29 July 2003 - 15:09
This is old news and its been posted before
I must have missed it before, thanks for posting.

Arm
07-29-2003, 09:37 PM
Well next time he decides to pirate a movie he shouldn't do it on his own computer. Just give it to a warez network and let them deal with it.

Digital Jammer
08-04-2003, 03:13 AM
This is the first I have heard of this...

All I can say is that the movie wasnt worth paying $$ to see anyway. So I for one am glad it leaked out before it made it to the theaters.

I sure would not wanted to take my gal to see it after I previewed it on my friends computer. :blink:

chalkmongoose
08-04-2003, 03:15 AM
Well, it serves him right. He personally sees to it that the file is spread on IRC networks from his own damned computer... And a full two weeks before its release?
What a dumbass.

Edit:
Also, encoding footprints that are difficult to find without prior knowledge of them is extremely easy to do. It's just a matter of adding a few bytes where they won't harm the video, ie, at the few moments of black space at the beginning and end.