PDA

View Full Version : The Bible

vivitron 15
07-29-2003, 09:12 PM
ok, having been inspired by a post in another thread, i wanted to ask this question...i would have posted there, but felt it was off topic (didnt want to go to the lounge :( )

anyway, in what sense is the bible not a book..... it's like 66 books or stg; but why? in what sense? what is a book, and how is it defined?

Gemby!
07-29-2003, 09:29 PM
i would clasify the bible as a book as it is a story that many people read and stuff and i think im now officially chatting shit :huh:

vivitron 15
07-29-2003, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by gemby!@29 July 2003 - 21:29
i would clasify the bible as a book as it is a story that many people read and stuff and i think im now officially chatting shit :huh:
now have you been drinking????

yes? good! :lol:

anyhow, i concur wholeheartedly...I fail to see how it is classified as a compilation of books, therefore not a book???

it reminds me of the "joke"

if you have two haystacks and take half of one of them, and a quarter of the other and add them together, how many haystacks do you have?

answer: 3

J'Pol
07-29-2003, 10:02 PM
Who said the bible wasn't a book and what did they base this contention on ?

Is Foundation (Isaac Asimov) a book. It's actually a collection of short stories, but it is still a book.

vivitron 15
07-29-2003, 10:39 PM
http://www.klboard.ath.cx/bb/index.php?showtopic=55256

read crumbcat's comment

and Im not singling him out...this is what was taught at school...I was always lead to believe this... I suspect he was also told this, but never questioned it :huh:

MagicNakor
07-30-2003, 12:42 AM
The Bible is a book. If one was wanting to be nitpicky, it could be considered an omnibus. Simply because it's divided into lesser books (rather than chapters, which was a common enough practice centuries ago) doesn't mean it's not a book.

:ninja:

slammy_dunken
07-30-2003, 01:32 AM
The bible is technically a book, but IMO, it's more of an archive, siince the bible is actually multiple books put together. And that each book of the bible is divided into chapters, giving each book characteristics of an actual book.

draven
07-30-2003, 07:05 AM
The word Bible means "book." :P

mogadishu
07-30-2003, 07:24 AM
the bible is full of things made up to explain things we cant understand. but its still a book. Oh god why did i say that.

mogadishu
07-30-2003, 08:10 AM
I guess we have no religious zeolots on the boards... im waiting here with my fire extinguisher.

Amarjit
07-30-2003, 11:53 AM
Like you said, in a sense it is. But it's obviously not for all audiences if you're not Christian.

Gemby!
07-30-2003, 12:54 PM
i would like everyone to forgive my natural drunkness ...tank u :) by the way im a bit high so if u dont mind i will carry on seeing the purple mice......ooo pwitty :lol:

olibomb
08-01-2003, 09:42 AM
Theres no way of knowing if it is

mogadishu
08-01-2003, 02:52 PM
knowing what

NightStalker
08-01-2003, 04:28 PM
book    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (bhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/GIF/oobreve.gifk)
n.

1. A set of written, printed, or blank pages fastened along one side and encased between protective covers.
        1. A printed or written literary work.
        2. A main division of a larger printed or written work: a book of the Old Testament.
        1. A volume in which financial or business transactions are recorded.
        2. books Financial or business records considered as a group: checked the expenditures on the books.
        1. A libretto.
        2. The script of a play.

;)

vivitron 15
08-03-2003, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by NightStalker@1 August 2003 - 16:28

book ( P ) Pronunciation Key (bhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/GIF/oobreve.gifk)
n.

1. A set of written, printed, or blank pages fastened along one side and encased between protective covers.
  1. A printed or written literary work.
  2. A main division of a larger printed or written work: a book of the Old Testament.
  1. A volume in which financial or business transactions are recorded.
  2. books Financial or business records considered as a group: checked the expenditures on the books.
  1. A libretto.
  2. The script of a play.

;)

isnt that just a chapter?? if a trilogy is printed as one document, is it then three books??

this puzzles me, i think of a book as something that i can pick up...as the whole thing

mutterings
08-04-2003, 12:08 AM
Surely the bible is a book :blink: Its a book of law :unsure: 2000 yrs ago how would you say "chapter ten of article 3 paragraph 7 states that"etc etc rough translation "you shall not murder".to a illiterate layman this was an easy way of getting law understood in story..

And you may ask yourself have i been drinking :angry:

answer yes i am pished :D :lol: :lol:

chalkmongoose
08-04-2003, 01:55 AM
Amarajit, your site could use less banners. It looks awful with the banners attached.

james_bond_rulez
08-04-2003, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by vivitron 15@29 July 2003 - 21:12
ok, having been inspired by a post in another thread, i wanted to ask this question...i would have posted there, but felt it was off topic (didnt want to go to the lounge :( )

anyway, in what sense is the bible not a book..... it's like 66 books or stg; but why? in what sense? what is a book, and how is it defined?
who reads the bible anyway??

HAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAH :D :D :D :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

vivitron 15
08-04-2003, 08:41 PM
usually Christians I guess, and students...man you don't know a great deal about life do you?

MagicNakor
08-05-2003, 01:57 AM
Everyone should read both Testaments of the Bible, if only for the literary richness. So much English literature has allusions to the Bible, and if you can recognize and understand them, your experience reading these works will be that much more rewarding.

olibomb
08-05-2003, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by james_bond_rulez+4 August 2003 - 13:01--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (james_bond_rulez @ 4 August 2003 - 13:01)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-vivitron 15@29 July 2003 - 21:12

anyway, in what sense is the bible not a book..... it&#39;s like 66 books or stg; but why? in what sense? what is a book, and how is it defined?
who reads the bible anyway??

HAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAH :D :D :D :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: [/b][/quote]
What an idiot how can u question Christianity, we don&#39;t need hypocrites like u around the K-lite board <_<

Rat Faced
08-05-2003, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by MagicNakor@5 August 2003 - 01:57
Everyone should read both Testaments of the Bible, if only for the literary richness. So much English literature has allusions to the Bible, and if you can recognize and understand them, your experience reading these works will be that much more rewarding.

Too much begatting in there for my taste ;)

Powdered Water
08-09-2003, 08:14 AM
Yes It&#39;s A book... Fiction but still A book.

thewizeard
08-12-2003, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Rat Faced+5 August 2003 - 22:14--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Rat Faced @ 5 August 2003 - 22:14)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-MagicNakor@5 August 2003 - 01:57

Too much begatting in there for my taste ;) [/b][/quote]
I know I should not say this, but I do love begatting&#33;

sparsely
08-13-2003, 04:02 PM
Damn. NightStalker beat me to it...
I really don&#39;t understand the question? How could it not be a book? It&#39;s a bunch of printed pages bound to a thick
outer cover. What the hell else could it be? A sandwich? This topic and question were obviously created to inflame
people....how lame. And cheap. Are you a person?