PDA

View Full Version : What Is Key Board Power On

aintgottime
07-30-2003, 01:29 AM
I've got this option in my bios and im just wondering what it is and what it does?

ilw
07-30-2003, 07:15 AM
it means your computer can be started from the keyboard. ie even with computer off theres still power going to keyboard and pushing some keys turns your computer on (i think)

smellmycomputer
07-30-2003, 08:27 AM
that sound right to me

if you want to use it you may have a jumper on the board you need to move too, or atleast that needs to be done with my board, so have a look in your manual

mogadishu
07-30-2003, 08:28 AM
Why would someone want to use this?

ilw
07-30-2003, 08:35 AM
If they're very lazy or the power button is somehow inaccessible? Come to think of it, why not use it? I might try it out.

Livy
07-30-2003, 11:10 AM
i had it on on my computer for a while, but it was annoyin as you had to press 2 or 3 buttons at a time, where as the power button is only one, but it would good if it was inaccesable or a server in the cupboard or something and u were using kvm switches or something

ilw
07-30-2003, 11:19 AM
is it a specific sequence of keys or a specific group together? And is it customisable at all?

Livy
07-30-2003, 11:31 AM
on my board i had to change a jumper, then enable keyboard power on in bios,
then had to hold Crtl + Alt + backspace to power up, it wasnt cutomisable, but it should tell ur inyour m/board manual what the key combination is

smellmycomputer
07-30-2003, 12:16 PM
i don't know if this will work for my machine if i enable it. when i shutdown my computer it goes through the shutdown screens, then th emonitor stops getting a signal, but the PSU and CPU fans keep going, and i have to switch it off by the switch on the back of the power supply. any ideas as to why this happens?
i think my powersupply is just a little screwed

Livy
07-30-2003, 12:19 PM
theres a setting in windows called advanced power management, if that turned on it should shut it down completly, also u should be able to turn it of by holding the power button for about 4 secs.

metalrebelzz
07-30-2003, 09:07 PM
with most newer mobo's made in the last year and a half, they power-on keys are usually customizable (i cant spell)....

i thought about using it for a while, but decided better on it....i have no need for it.....i's probably WOULD be much easier for (like somebody said..) servers in a locked closet......and/or using a KVM to switch between comps to turn the other one on/off etc etc, you get teh point.....damn i'm tired.....*needs nourishment.....mmmmm*

aand like livy said, just hold down the power button on most modern comps to turn them off....sometimes it resets them instead tho.......just depends on your manufacturer...so..... :rtfm: lol :D hehehe