PDA

View Full Version : Explanation of Planet Order

johnq86
01-27-2008, 04:17 PM
what determines how the planets in our solar system are ordered?

Snee
01-27-2008, 04:18 PM
Ordered how? How we order them, or their positioning in space?

clocker
01-27-2008, 04:39 PM
Physics.

Or maybe manker, I can't remember.

Anyway, one of those two.

johnq86
01-27-2008, 04:45 PM
I meant to say why are they ordered in space the way they are?What are the factors and process?

Mr. Mulder
01-27-2008, 04:48 PM
...it all starts when a mummy planet and a daddy planet love each other very much :lookaroun

thebazzla
01-27-2008, 04:49 PM
science wasn't my strong point at school in fact come to think of it i didn't go to school

Yinon
01-27-2008, 05:00 PM

It's still in the original order god shited them. :w00t:

FatBob
01-27-2008, 06:46 PM
...it all starts when a mummy planet and a daddy planet love each other very much :lookaroun

i lol'ed :lol:

Something Else
01-27-2008, 06:48 PM

You when you think about it.

FatBob
01-27-2008, 06:50 PM
When the solar system was created, gas and dust was swirling around the sun. The dust collected in clumps called planetesimals. Those grew and grew by picking up more and more dust. They eventually ate up all the dust and became large enough to be known as planets. Nothing determines where the planets are, they were just created in that order.

Xenu

SAM
01-27-2008, 07:32 PM
well
i don't get your question?
but as it was created it happed that all the planets are rotating around the sun in orbits and they got their order according to the distance between each planet and the sun
for example earth came third according to distance
there is other order which is according to mass and volume
Jupiter is number one in this category
so there are many orders and classifications
:)

Mr. Mulder
01-27-2008, 07:46 PM
the boards acting like a total moran

manker
01-27-2008, 07:47 PM
the boards acting like a total moran
Agree

thebazzla
01-27-2008, 07:48 PM
sorry something wrong :(yes its all your posting its making the board go haywire :)

johnq86
01-27-2008, 07:51 PM
ok i hope this makes it clearer,the planets as they are placed along the solar system revolving around the sun are in the order becuase of something and I am trying to figure out why the planets are placed where they are along the solar system.

C-mos
01-27-2008, 07:57 PM

hahahahahahahaha ..nice one Mulder :lol::lol:

manker
01-27-2008, 08:00 PM
ok i hope this makes it clearer,the planets as they are placed along the solar system revolving around the sun are in the order becuase of something and I am trying to figure out why the planets are placed where they are along the solar system.
I see what you mean now.

Men Very Easily Make Jugs Serve Useful Nocturnal Purposes
My Very Educated Mother Just Served Us Nine Pizzas
My Very Easy Method-Just Set Up Nine Planets
Mary's Violet Eyes Make John Stay Up Nights Praying
Mary's Violet Eyes Make John Stay Up Nights, Period.
My Very Elegant Mother Just Sat Upon Nine Porcupines
My Very Educated Mother Must Sent Us Nine Pickles.
My Very Educated Mother Must Served Us Nine Peas.
My Very Excellent Memory Must Served Up Nine Planets.

Something Else
01-27-2008, 09:18 PM
Your a smiley smilie boyo aren't you. :emorod:

manker
01-27-2008, 09:22 PM
Man, vagina eating makes JP's stomach unnaturally nausious, probably.

Something Else
01-27-2008, 09:25 PM
http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/7931/mensheepjj6.gif (http://imageshack.us)

johnq86
01-27-2008, 09:39 PM
s my post that unclear or do you guys just like to treat people like dummies?

Something Else
01-27-2008, 09:42 PM
:emo:

Mr. Mulder
01-27-2008, 09:42 PM
is my post that unclear or do you guys just like to treat people like dummies?

There you go little fella :hug:

:lookaroun

manker
01-27-2008, 10:05 PM
FFS.
Okay, try this.

My very extensive manhood jammed sideways up Nigella's pussy.

Mr JP Fugley
01-27-2008, 10:24 PM
Mnemonics vary, even manker justifies showing us, no problem.

clocker
01-28-2008, 12:00 AM
Why are you guys still including a "u"?

Mr JP Fugley
01-28-2008, 12:05 AM

Why not.

I know you chaps like to drop the "u" from words but that doesn't make it right.

clocker
01-28-2008, 12:13 AM
Because everyone's favorite snicker-inducing planet was demoted to "big- but not real planet big- thing" status a few years ago.

It was in all the newspapers and TV and everything.
People cried and rent their breasts (mulder was in heaven) but the powers that be would not relent.

All your mnemonics are belong to us.

manker
01-28-2008, 12:13 AM
If you read the mnemonics we've posted so far, they'd make no sense whatsoever if the word beginning with 'u' wasn't there.

Think it thro', man.

manker
01-28-2008, 12:17 AM
V. poor rod, btw, clocker.

clocker
01-28-2008, 12:55 AM
I'll do better next time, promise.

manker
01-28-2008, 01:04 AM
http://www.msgweb.nl/emoticons/50_50.gif

Now I'm thinking that the rod was deliberately poor such that my commenting on it entangled my lip in clocker's feisty barb.

clocker
01-28-2008, 01:37 AM
Wheels within wheels, manks.

ktasera
01-28-2008, 01:49 AM
Actually, since planetary orbits are elliptical, when pluto was a planet it used to switch places (I mean, be closer to the sun) with neptune once in a while.

clocker
01-28-2008, 02:11 AM
So, since we decided Pluto isn't a planet it's changed it's orbit in spite?

Snee
01-28-2008, 04:13 AM
Anyways, the solar system in fast forward: Cloud of gas, collapsing cloud of gas, gas compressed to rotating accretion disc, accretion disc breaking up into chucks, chunks banging into each other, planetoids, planets, sun in the middle, and in the far future: sun going out, sun swelling up out to mars or so, stuff further out floating off, sun collapsing again dragging the innermost planets in, into a brown dwarf or something.

Gravity working against centrifugal force holds them in place around the sun, I think. Most were part of the disc, so they rotate in the same orbit, pluto (I think it's pluto anyways) rotates differently cos it came from elsewhere and got caught by gravitation, hence it has a slightly different orbit compared to the others, sometimes going inside the orbit of neptune (I think) changing the order now and then.

SAM
01-28-2008, 05:56 AM
they placed where they are because of the gravity forces between them that what keep them stable in their orbits

Squeamous
01-28-2008, 07:26 AM
I think I read somewhere once that the planets are the composition they are because of their position around the sun. That the elements that compose them tend to congregate at certain distances from the sun inside the spinning disc of matter as they form, so that when scientists look for signs of life in other solar systems they always look for a planet the same distance as Earth from the foreign sun...so it has just the right amount of temperature and the most likely composition. Is this complete bollocks or have I remembered it right?

Snee
01-28-2008, 07:26 AM
Dunno what fake sam said, but it's probably fucking stupid or adds nothing useful. Disregard everything he says.

Snee
01-28-2008, 07:37 AM
I think I read somewhere once that the planets are the composition they are because of their position around the sun. That the elements that compose them tend to congregate at certain distances from the sun inside the spinning disc of matter as they form, so that when scientists look for signs of life in other solar systems they always look for a planet the same distance as Earth from the foreign sun...so it has just the right amount of temperature and the most likely composition. Is this complete bollocks or have I remembered it right?

Different elements have different composition, so it sounds sensible that they'd be distributed somewhat unevenly, what with the forces pulling on them. The sun is mostly hydrogen and helium (the pressure inside the sun creates a fusion reaction kind of thing turning hydrogen into helium), pretty light stuff.

I suppose we might have just the right mix, and it might be that heavier elements or something are more common further out.

Can't really count on everything laying about all orderly though, element-wise, there are fairly chaotic matters to factor in, like stuff coming from the outside, like asteroids and so forth.

Squeamous
01-28-2008, 07:42 AM
Phew. My OH asked me this a week ago and that's the explanation I gave. Didn't realise Pluto was something foreign to this solar system though.....live and learn!

Barbarossa
01-28-2008, 10:47 AM
The only people talking any sense in this thread are snee and squeamous.

Pluto isn't a planet any more, so all mnemonics are fail.

Angular momentum. Now STFU. :dry:

SAM
01-28-2008, 10:53 AM
and me barbie :(
i mentioned gravity .didn't this count?!

thebazzla
01-28-2008, 11:21 AM
the only Pluto i know of is in Disneyland

Biggles
01-28-2008, 04:30 PM

A little from column A and a little from column B

As far as I have read there is no hard and fast rule that Gas giants have to be in the outer ring or that there has to be 8 or more planets. However, as Squeamous pointed out, in order to support life it is most likely that any such planet would have to be able to maintain liquid water. This means it would need a moderately temperate climate and not be too big. I believe that most of the planets identified so far around other suns have been gas giants (because they are easiest to spot) and that some of these have occupied regions that should be optimum climate wise but would appear to have too much mass to make living easy. That doesn't mean they might not have habitable moons. Then again any moon would need to have a rotation that presented all the surface to the sun otherwise one side would cook and the other freeze.

There are then a number of variables, spin, size, climate, water, atmosphere etc. However, with billions of stars in a galaxy and billions of galaxies in the universe, the chances of other earth like planets (medium size with atmosphere the right distance from the sun) seems moderately high. Certainly, the evidence seems to suggest that planets are the norm rather than the exception and therefore the accretion processes described in other posts above also descibe the process that many, if not all stars, go through when forming. If, as is possible, the size and type of planet are not fixed then there will be many solar systems not suited to life. If the formation of planets is more fixed, that is small hot ones near sun, medium rocky ones a bit further away and gas giants in the outer circle then most solar systems might have the conditions to support life. As more planets are discovered a pattern in planet formation may be determined.