PDA

View Full Version : I have a Qestion!

silvester
01-27-2008, 10:30 PM
I saw in the last few days many people that wanted to trade TT NB bitmetv Bh swedvdr sct and other great trackers for ftn
Why would you want ftn when you have suck great places like those
Is it only for the rarity ?

Sylar666
01-27-2008, 10:33 PM
I don't want them. I have them, bloke.;) Such a stupid question...There are many collectors, fanatics. Torrenting is FUN!

Adman65
01-27-2008, 10:43 PM
mostly for rarity and epeen

krunktastic
01-27-2008, 10:46 PM
I saw in the last few days many people that wanted to trade TT NB bitmetv Bh swedvdr sct and other great trackers for ftn
Why would you want ftn when you have suck great places like those
Is it only for the rarity ?

Yes.

It's basic economics, supply and demand. There are so few invites to FTN, so high demand for invites is the result. There is a high percentage of members who are on a tracker strictly because of its "level". The most invaluable trackers to me, other than ScT, tend to be lower level ones, like Waffles.fm or x264 or BTMusic. These people trade away amazing trackers like BitMeTV and Swedvdr for FTN, and it's really foolish. Totally agree with you, OP.

Sylar666
01-27-2008, 10:56 PM
TL rulz. And TB. And believe me, I miss Demonoid every day, although Zamunda is kinda substitute.

Artemis
01-27-2008, 11:02 PM
I agree Sylar (except about tb lol) it is your interest that dictates which trackers you actually use for content the most, because of my love of old movies it is KG that I visit most regularly and the learning materials on Bitme are awesome, the packs made up by the uploaders are what differentiate the 0day sites apart from that they all have similar content.As sylar said though zamunda is another great one and a good alternative to demonoid.

Adman65
01-28-2008, 12:04 AM
sigh...demonoid

monk3y
01-28-2008, 12:15 AM
Tl Ftw

vergo
01-28-2008, 12:23 AM
Yes.

It's basic economics, supply and demand. There are so few invites to FTN, so high demand for invites is the result.
It's not the demand of invites that is high, it's the appearance of the demand that is high.

broomhead
01-28-2008, 12:44 AM
Well FTN closed invites.... (broomhead goes to cry in the corner for a little bit)

Brandon announced that it is not permanent, so hopefully invites will come bak soon

OnEyM
01-28-2008, 12:45 AM
It's basic economics, supply and demand. There are so few invites to FTN, so high demand for invites is the result.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
if that's economics then I'm literally a chicken

Polarbear
01-28-2008, 01:19 AM

speaking about ecomomics you are almost right. but you are missing one effect.

a rare commodity as itself doesn't result in a higher demand. that would mean i could lower my production to raise the demand - nonsense.

from an economic point of view ftn invites would be a typical veblen good.

the veblen effect in general: the higher the price for a good, the higher the demand. (often for high-status goods)

so ftn: demand>supply-->rare good--->higher price--->veblen effect-->higher demand.

since invites are free and don't have a price it's stupid to treat them in economical terms anyway.

so this is just a little excursion.

krunktastic
01-28-2008, 01:37 AM

a rare commodity as itself doesn't result in a higher demand. that would mean i could lower my production to raise the demand - nonsense.

the veblen effect in general: the higher the price for a good, the higher the demand. (often for high-status goods)

so ftn: demand>supply-->rare good--->higher price--->veblen effect-->higher demand.

since invites are free and don't have a price it's stupid to treat them in economical terms anyway.

Free is not necessarily true: the "price" is determined by what people will give for an invite, and in terms of the value, this could be monetary (seedbox) or it could be other invites. In this respect, invites aren't free. When a commodity sits at equilibrium price/quantity and supply goes down, demand increases. Simple as that.

filonome
01-28-2008, 01:39 AM

Free is not necessarily true: the "price" is determined by what people will give for an invite, and in terms of the value, this could be monetary (seedbox) or it could be other invites. In this respect, invites aren't free. When a commodity sits at equilibrium price/quantity and supply goes down, demand increases. Simple as that.

qft. i agree that invites are not free. free would mean that anyone could go get one out of some source. not everyone can get invites, so they are not free.

vergo
01-28-2008, 01:41 AM
When a commodity sits at equilibrium price/quantity and supply goes down, demand increases. Simple as that.

Are you saying the quantity demanded goes up, or the demand itself goes up? It doesn't follow that either should increase just because the supply decreases.

Polarbear
01-28-2008, 01:41 AM
In this respect, invites aren't free.

not free for the trader, but free for me :P

krunktastic
01-28-2008, 03:04 AM
In this respect, invites aren't free.

not free for the trader, but free for me :P

They should be free, that's for sure. Free for me also :P

Dark Archon
01-28-2008, 03:47 AM
and how did this turn out to be an argument of economics...I think the OP's questions has already been answered.

krunktastic
01-28-2008, 03:50 AM
and how did this turn out to be an argument of economics...I think the OP's questions has already been answered.

Not an argument, a discussion. :happy: