PDA

View Full Version : Virus eating my C drive ???

freakguy
01-27-2008, 11:37 PM
I had around 2 GB free space in my C drive ... I got a Pop up saying that The space is too Low in C drive...
So I deleted one Movie , and checked my free space was Exactly 700mb
And now , again I get a message saying that Space is too low in C. ( It was around 190 mb free )
I did a complete Anti Virus Scan (Kasperksy) and No virus was found.

So what should I do ??? :wacko:

boodaddymac
01-27-2008, 11:47 PM
1. Go to My Computer
2. Right-Click on C:/
3. Click Disk Cleanup
4. If you have Windows Vista select "Files from all users on this computer"
5. If you have Windows non Vista make sure everything is checked and and click ok.

Hope this helps. Post back if you need more help...

You can also go to start go to run and type in "msconfig" without quotes and click on startup and make sure there are no programs or viruses running that you don't want to come up when the computer starts up. Reboot and check your space again. This will aslo help the computer start up faster by disableing programs that you don't need to run when the computer boots up.

Appzalien
01-28-2008, 06:11 PM
Its more likely if your space is going away over time there is a log file or something thats growing. This happened to me once after I ran Microsoft Bootvis and it crashed, that caused a log file to continually grow out of control. Lets see if I can look and remember where the file was located. Justa nota minute worker....

Ok it was here:
c:\windows\system32\logfiles\wmi
If I remember correctly I looked there and it was empty, then I ran one of those free programs that shows you whats taking up the space on your pc (space monger I think) and all of a sudden it showed up as 180gig log file.

If by chance you did run bootvis try this:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Normal WMI logging logs are found in...
%windir%\system32\wbem\logs
or
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\logs

You may see a bunch of logs in that folder.

Did you ever use bootvis.exe?
If yes...

[[After running the MS Bootvis utility, the file
C:\WINDOWS\System32\LogFiles\WMI\trace.log becomes hugely inflated.

The file shrinks on rebooting but may rapidly grow to a few gig's in size,
to cure the problem run BootVis again and click Trace-->Stop Tracing, the
file will now stop growing and may be safely deleted.]]
From...
h**p://forums.infoprosjoint.net/showthread.php?t=2806

If that wasn't it, try this, it will List all trace sessions.
Open a command prompt...
Start | Run | Type: cmd | Click OK |
When the command prompt opens type or paste:

TRACELOG -L

Hit your Enter key.

If anything is running a trace it should show up, otherwise it returns to
the prompt.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
I hope this helps, if not get that spacemonger freeware to help you locate the file thats growing and post again.

freakguy
01-29-2008, 08:07 PM
@Appzalien - Log folder is just 125 kb

deuce6000
01-30-2008, 03:03 AM
Do you have system restore enabled?If so and you don't need any of you restore points then disable it(Which will delete all the backups that take lots of space)Then re-enable right after.

klink05
01-30-2008, 06:01 AM
are you currently downloading anything. i forget which client, but a buddy of mine was having trouble because all of his BT traffic was going into a temp on his local drive until it finished an was moved to his external. his computer would go from 15 GB free to less than one multiple times a day.

freakguy
01-31-2008, 07:57 PM
There was no free space in C , I turned OFF System Restore and Rebooted the comp (after one month!) ... I had 3.87 GB of free space in C... and now i have 3.80 GB ....
What could be the prob ? Anybody ??!

backlash
01-31-2008, 08:53 PM
maybe using a program like treesize professional to see what is taking up the most space could shed some light on what's happening.

http://www.jam-software.com/treesize/

Nemanja
02-06-2008, 11:27 PM
Do Disk Cleanup, or last solution is reInstall OS .

kaiweiler
02-10-2008, 03:40 AM
Do you have system restore enabled?If so and you don't need any of you restore points then disable it(Which will delete all the backups that take lots of space)Then re-enable right after.

Just did this and it restored 62GB lol
Not that I really needed it, but hey why not. My computer is running well so I disabled, and then re enabled and created a current restore point :)

bondok
02-13-2008, 10:23 AM
clean up
or formate

orcutt989
02-13-2008, 06:39 PM
maybe using a program like treesize professional to see what is taking up the most space could shed some light on what's happening.

http://www.jam-software.com/treesize/

Do what he said. It will tell you the size of every folder on your computer and makes all your directories sortable by size. You will uncover all kinds of large folders you never existed.

Try also using CCleaner (http://www.ccleaner.com/). I have run it a couple of times to find that 2GB of space was cleared even after I had just cleaned it a few days before.