PDA

View Full Version : Big Problem!

Schumacher_Skaife
07-30-2003, 09:14 AM
Hey

I just formatted my partition and on the other partition i had all the stuff i need to copy back. (All my users documents) Now when i go into d: to copy them back it says access denied. I am an administrator! Please help me!

Dave

Schumacher_Skaife
07-30-2003, 09:17 AM
Also

It seems to only be the My Music and My Pictures folders that are causing the problem for the other 2 user but my WHOLE folder is unaccessable! Man do i need a solution!

Dave

shn
07-30-2003, 09:19 AM
A lot of times access denied occurs when the file or files or in use by another program and cannot be deleted or copied. Make sure nothing else is using the files/folders.

Schumacher_Skaife
07-30-2003, 09:22 AM
No nothing is using it, i just have a fresh copy of XP and have reset many times but still no luck!
There is real important stuff on there i gotta get it!

Dave

shn
07-30-2003, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by Schumacher_Skaife@30 July 2003 - 03:22
No nothing is using it, i just have a fresh copy of XP and have reset many times but still no luck!
There is real important stuff on there i gotta get it!

Dave
What did you mean earlier when you said inaccessible? Is it a network drive or network share? If not then I see no reason why you would be getting that error. Why dont you try and post a screenshot.

Schumacher_Skaife
07-30-2003, 09:29 AM
sorry how do i post a screenshot?

Image will only let me enter a url

Dave

shn
07-30-2003, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by Schumacher_Skaife@30 July 2003 - 03:29
sorry how do i post a screenshot?

Image will only let me enter a url

Dave
Nevermind, youll need a web host or a webserver. to upload the pic too. I dont know what else to tell ya. Maybe someone else can help you better than I can. But it would help a lot if we could actaully see the error message.

Schumacher_Skaife
07-30-2003, 09:42 AM
the message says

D:\Dave is not accesible
Access is denied

shn
07-30-2003, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Schumacher_Skaife@30 July 2003 - 03:42
the message says

D:\Dave is not accesible
Access is denied
Oh ok. try adjusting the file permissions under the security tab in the properties menu. First you may need to turn off simple file sharing though.

http://shn.free-host.com/mini-mini-untitled.JPG

Schumacher_Skaife
07-30-2003, 09:50 AM
Ok done that, i have to reset so i post back shortly!

Thanks for ya help

Lets hope its the soloution! :D

Dave

Schumacher_Skaife
07-30-2003, 10:15 AM
I have SP1 so i dont think that security button is avaliable. If it helps this folder was recently My Documents on my previous XP format. Could that be a reason?

Dave

shn
07-30-2003, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Schumacher_Skaife@30 July 2003 - 04:15
I have SP1 so i dont think that security button is avaliable. If it helps this folder was recently My Documents on my previous XP format. Could that be a reason?

Dave
You have it but you have to turn off simple file sharing option under folder view from the folder otions in the tools menu. Once you do that then go and allow permission from everyone to access the drive like above.

http://shn.free-host.com/mini-untitled.JPG

Schumacher_Skaife
07-30-2003, 11:15 AM
Yep tried that and still no luck!

Bloody XP!

Dave

ilw
07-30-2003, 11:44 AM
This guy had a similar problem, maybe a similar solution? Its something to do with permissions looking ok, but in actual fact being corrupted. I'm not 100% sure i understand the solution, but it might give u a clue
http://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?...p?threadid=5750 (http://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=5750)

Schumacher_Skaife
07-30-2003, 11:53 AM
My God that worked! To a point! Thank you for hunting that down!

OK I now access the folder but all the subfolders are still doin it! When i go into the security in the subfolders i cant add any permissions!

I am getting some where!

Help me bring home the bacon!

Dave!

dgmortal
07-30-2003, 12:08 PM
right click on the main folder again and go into the security properties once more. click on the advanced button towards the bottom and then go to the owner tab. put a check in the box next to "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects" and click apply. wait for that to finish and go back to the permissions tab and put a check in the box next to "Replace permission entries on all child objects......", click apply again and confirm that you wish to do that. now close the properties boxes that are open and try to access the folders again. they should now have the same permissions as the one you already have gained access to and you should be able to get into them.

Schumacher_Skaife
07-30-2003, 12:14 PM
Thank You Very Much!

That worked perfectley!

I would like to thank everyone for their hard work on this! You have saved me allot of time and valuble data!

Once again thank you!

Dave :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D