PDA

View Full Version : It's official! DVD plus/minus war ends in a draw

Broken
01-28-2008, 05:32 PM
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/picture.php?albumid=25&pictureid=547"The battle of the recordable DVD formats - DVD+R/RW versus DVD-R/RW - is finally and officially over more than five-odd years after it began, and several years after the fight became largely symbolic."

Late last week, DVD6C, the consortium of DVD intellectual property holders, said that it had added DVD+R and DVD+RW to its list of licensable DVD products. The change actually took place right at the start of the year. Up until then, DVD6C had only licensed DVD-R and DVD-RW technology.

Whether discs and players are labelled plus, minus or both, they will now all attract the same royalty rate too.

Coming together this way, the two formats are now officially equal in the eyes of the DVD industry, and the battle between them is over.

:source: Source: Full Article @ Register Hardware (http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/01/28/dvd_plus_minus_war_over/)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought this battle was over long ago.

snowultra
01-29-2008, 12:32 AM
ya, i been using dvd-r's myself.

jazzpipe
01-29-2008, 03:03 PM
-Rs are slightly more compatible, so thats what I use.

From what Ive read -Rs are 93% compatible with dvd players out there, and +Rs are 90%.

Cabalo
01-29-2008, 05:29 PM
i only use DVD+R, way many less jitter problems.

DyNast
01-29-2008, 09:05 PM
I always knew draw would win :P

Honestly, I don't really give a shit rather it's a DVD+R or -R, although I usually use the minus R DVDs

S!X
01-30-2008, 08:37 AM
I've always used +R's, they work well unless of course they're a crap brand like fujifilm where half the spindle won't burn. Verbatim ftw!

Smith
01-31-2008, 01:11 AM
Who gives a shit, in a few years everyones going to use blueray anyways.

1000possibleclaws
01-31-2008, 06:10 AM
dont dvd+r's allow you to keep adding to it, while once you close a session on a dvd-r, you cant add anything else, even if theres unused space?

either way i've been using dvd-r's because i got my 100 pack on sale for really cheap

Appzalien
01-31-2008, 10:13 PM
"Who gives a shit, in a few years everyones going to use blueray anyways".

What? BlueRay plus or BlueRay minus?

kooftspc11
01-31-2008, 11:39 PM
- = Crap

Busyman™
01-31-2008, 11:54 PM
Who gives a shit, in a few years everyones going to use blueray anyways.

What pisses me off is that initially, Blu-Ray was supposed to be recordable from the get go.

I guess they makers realized they could milk the hell out of the consumer by holding back the recordable format.

Blu-Ray players $400 and up

When they come down, Blu-Ray recorders - $600 and up.:dry:

Also because of HDMI, there won't be too much recording of what you want without some serious finagling.

dont dvd+r's allow you to keep adding to it, while once you close a session on a dvd-r, you cant add anything else, even if theres unused space?

either way i've been using dvd-r's because i got my 100 pack on sale for really cheap

I always thought that if you closed a session on either disc, that's it.

"Who gives a shit, in a few years everyones going to use blueray anyways".

What? BlueRay plus or BlueRay minus?

There will only be BD-R and BD-RE, to my knowledge.

I don't think the Blu-Ray Disc Association will allow another.

However, I don't why and how the + came about for DVDs. I know the DVD Alliance backed a recordable format but I don't if there was anything prohibiting the format.

I do know DVD+R/RW is a better format but it had a later start.

Zelucifer
02-01-2008, 04:48 AM
99% of the time, I just buy what's cheaper. I've never had a real compatibility problem using either, on anything. I'd say it was a good thing that the "war" is over, but now that next-gen dvd's are battling, the point is almost moot.