PDA

View Full Version : Anyone heard of this site?

Thatsgreat
01-28-2008, 09:00 PM
Has anyone heard of this site or maybe even has invites there? The site is called spotify.com

It's like last.fm but 100 times better they say. It streams lossless music direkt from their server and the content is said to be outrageous. They have like every band in the world in lossless format. You don't have to keep a ratio or anything, all the tracks are loaded direct from their server and you can download songs if you want. This site is not a torrent tracker, but I didn't know where to put this.

Tokeman
01-28-2008, 09:36 PM
sounds interesting for sure, i'll be watching this thread too :)

IceTee
01-28-2008, 09:56 PM
Checking it out...

Giveaway
01-28-2008, 10:49 PM
is this another Qtrax?

nasotm9
01-29-2008, 01:28 AM
Not really much info yet. Well have to wait and see.

tiger6ex
01-29-2008, 01:37 AM
interesting news...i will have to try that site

Definite
01-29-2008, 02:06 AM
Signed up. This looks awesome, I never liked organizing my music collection anyway.

Thatsgreat
01-29-2008, 02:57 PM
Definite, you can't sign up really. You have to have an invite to get to be a beta tester. But this will be big when they are finished. Just imagine having a music library in lossless format without having to think about keeping a ratio and with amazing speeds. It's said that there will be no problem with the buffering. It will load any song in a second and you will be able to fast forward the song without problems. The thing I'm most thrilled about is that they have EVERY band in the world and it's 99% that you will find what you are looking for if you have typed it right. At least that's what I have read on blogs and heard from beta testers. It's very exciting.

Definite
01-29-2008, 08:28 PM
It sounds great! When I said I "signed up", I meant I put my email down for when they expand the beta. *fingers crossed*

Thatsgreat
01-29-2008, 09:21 PM
The best part is that it's totally legal.

monk3y
01-29-2008, 09:24 PM
/me wants to get in this site =)

Thatsgreat
01-30-2008, 09:47 PM
I guess everyone who likes music want to get in to this site. Seems just so awesome.

Stevis
01-30-2008, 09:50 PM
I signed up for their mailing list as well. Seems like an awesome idea, come whatever may.

Thatsgreat
01-30-2008, 10:32 PM
Breaking news! I read an article about spotify and it's said that they are ready to launch. They have been on beta testing since spring last year and now they have all the results they need. It's said it will launch soon.

monk3y
01-30-2008, 11:02 PM
Breaking news! I read an article about spotify and it's said that they are ready to launch. They have been on beta testing since spring last year and now they have all the results they need. It's said it will launch soon.

thanks for the info, can't wait :)

labuladuo
01-30-2008, 11:27 PM

Definite
01-31-2008, 05:05 AM

thanks for the info, can't wait :)

Me either, it's about time I cast aside iTunes. :happy:

bikernin
01-31-2008, 08:25 AM
The best part is that it's totally legal.

damn, thats a turnoff :lol:

FACE_TO_FACE
01-31-2008, 10:09 AM
U need an invite to be beta tester

Dark Archon
02-02-2008, 10:46 AM
signed up

Thatsgreat
02-02-2008, 11:59 AM
It's said that they are ready to launch as I said, but there are some problems concerning the deal between spotify and the music companies. If I remember it correctly they have made deals with some of the biggest music companies out there. We'll just have to wait, patient is the key...

Thatsgreat
10-03-2008, 04:24 PM
If you signed up for beta-tesing some time ago, you should had recieved a invite in your email. Look for it in the junk mail. I got one! It's so nice! They are letting more people in to test it. They are probably going to launch before the new year. Nice ey?

soulreaper
10-03-2008, 05:08 PM
If you signed up for beta-tesing some time ago, you should had recieved a invite in your email. Look for it in the junk mail. I got one! It's so nice! They are letting more people in to test it. They are probably going to launch before the new year. Nice ey?

Not having to keep a ratio on a music site and get all that you want?
Sounds like fun,thx!

colbert
10-03-2008, 08:21 PM
This site looks interesting, but it will only work if all the labels actually agree to it.

Thatsgreat
10-04-2008, 12:58 PM
This site looks interesting, but it will only work if all the labels actually agree to it.

Yes of course. But the way the music industry has developed the last years I think many big labels are going to sign a contract with Spotify... for their own good.

And from what I've heard they have already signed contracts with many big labels. So just wait for the launch and decied for yourself when you try it out. I think it's going to be huge :)

t0mmy
10-05-2008, 03:09 AM
this sounds really good

jbloggs
10-05-2008, 03:24 PM
...And exactly how are they going to make money for themselves and the music industry?

EDIT: from their site

Content owners that partner with Spotify will qualify for a share of the revenue we make both from our core advertising business as well as any premium services we launch such as added value subscription.

Thatsgreat
10-05-2008, 07:03 PM
...And exactly how are they going to make money for themselves and the music industry?

EDIT: from their site

Content owners that partner with Spotify will qualify for a share of the revenue we make both from our core advertising business as well as any premium services we launch such as added value subscription.

Yes. If you want you can pay so that you don't have some minor ads. Anything else you wanted to point out?

Thatsgreat
10-08-2008, 01:12 PM
It has launched!

Polarbear
10-12-2008, 08:21 AM
i just heard rumours that they have scene mp3s in spotify. if that turns out to be true the scene will be really pissed off. they're going to make money with ads and premium sevices with scene releases?

anyway, how's the quality of the music? is it really lossless (that would mean about 30mb of streamimg data for a song)? can you download files and use them for whatever you like?

if you can't download there's always the possibilty to record the stream to hd, right?

however, i read a lot of positive reviews and i'm going to give it a try when the free service is available in germany.

the only thing that leaves a bitter taste is, even if it's based on peer2peer it's a company which runs the whole thing. companies don't do this because sharing is caring, they want to make money.

anyway, as a music enthusiast i'm looking forward to check it out for myself.

Kruskal
10-12-2008, 10:08 AM
i just heard rumours that they have scene mp3s in spotify. if that turns out to be true the scene will be really pissed off. they're going to make money with ads and premium sevices with scene releases?

anyway, how's the quality of the music? is it really lossless (that would mean about 30mb of streamimg data for a song)? can you download files and use them for whatever you like?

if you can't download there's always the possibilty to record the stream to hd, right?

however, i read a lot of positive reviews and i'm going to give it a try when the free service is available in germany.

the only thing that leaves a bitter taste is, even if it's based on peer2peer it's a company which runs the whole thing. companies don't do this because sharing is caring, they want to make money.

I think the employees uploaded their personal mp3's during the beta testing. That's the reason there might be scene releases on it. They will probably be removed, if they haven't already, now that it's public.

http://www.spotify.com/blog/archives/2008/07/02/spotify-030/
Says here that they run Ogg Vorbis which is a lossy format.

The content is great but there's a lot of stuff missing, that were up during beta testing. For instance there's nothing from The Beatles or Led Zeppelin.

Thatsgreat
10-12-2008, 01:57 PM

I think the employees uploaded their personal mp3's during the beta testing. That's the reason there might be scene releases on it. They will probably be removed, if they haven't already, now that it's public.

http://www.spotify.com/blog/archives/2008/07/02/spotify-030/
Says here that they run Ogg Vorbis which is a lossy format.

The content is great but there's a lot of stuff missing, that were up during beta testing. For instance there's nothing from The Beatles or Led Zeppelin.

Yes. When they were beta testing, you could find ANYTHING there. They could upload anything they wanted. But now when they have gone live much of the scene ripps had to be deleted due to rights. But they are slowly filling up more and more and it's just a question about rights. So Betales and Led Zeppelin have been on Spotify but has been removed because of some contract thing. But it will surley be back in the near future. There slogan is: listen to everything, anywhere, anytime'' :)

I mean, if music was cheaper nobody would be downloading it. At least I wouldn't. So spotify is like having a music library but without having to wait for songs to load or change cd or whatever. So far so good, but it can absolutely get better! And I think it will.

Thatsgreat
10-25-2008, 10:02 AM
Feels like I'm promoting Spotify big time :)

But I recently read that they are adding 10.000 of songs every day and in 4-8 weeks they are planing on having 95% of all music that's released. Sound pretty nice, eh?

Albo Da Kid
10-25-2008, 10:46 AM
Someone posted about this site a couple of months ago. I thought it was interesting at the time. I might check it out who knows.

Dretskol
10-25-2008, 02:07 PM
I have Spotify
PM if you wanna trade

AMnesko
10-25-2008, 02:24 PM
I have Spotify
PM if you wanna trade
WRONG SECTION! You do NOT trade here!

ose
10-25-2008, 05:18 PM
if your are form certain country you have to pay to get access

Thatsgreat
10-25-2008, 08:53 PM
if your are form certain country you have to pay to get access

No, that goes for all who wants VIP/Premium account. Not certain countries. Premium users gets some pre-spotify-releases. For an example John Legends new cd and Pinks new cd was available for VIP/Premium users before it became available for regular users who don't pay. And if you don't pay a montly fee you get some ads in spotify. Like some voice talking about some famous organization for 10-20 second between songs. But this only happens like after every 100 song or something. But if you don't like it, you can pay to get rid of the ads and get pre-releases.