PDA

View Full Version : OVH.co.uk Kimsufi £14.99 now available!

Fibre
01-31-2008, 08:19 AM
I just thought I'd let everyone know, the £14.99 Kimsufi box is now available from OVH.co.uk.

I know a lot of UK people have been waiting for this.

The specification is:

http://i28.tinypic.com/10eeblf.jpg

Windows XP 32bit for free :)

What a bargain :)

sperm
01-31-2008, 09:22 AM
£17.61 when vat is added :P

monk3y
01-31-2008, 10:04 AM
£17.61 when vat is added :P

what is vat ? and it's an awesome deal gonna take it i think =)

zedex
01-31-2008, 10:10 AM
can u give me a link for ordering plz

PirateEagle
01-31-2008, 10:11 AM
256mb RAM :( not good at all with that u can`t use as seedbox it should have more RAM if u ask me :)

bikernin
01-31-2008, 11:28 AM
if anyone has used this box, can they give a short review of it i.e how are the speeds, service etc. certainly tempting for a poor chap like me :)

Downloading Junkie
01-31-2008, 11:41 AM
i went looking at the site and they have more models with more ram and there still good prices, but i think they monitor what u use the bandwidth for. If u read closely they can cancel service for many reasons. just go to site.
http://www.ovh.co.uk/products/best_of.xml
movieaddict

Wormtail
01-31-2008, 12:25 PM
Only UK ppl can order right ?

fatcat69
01-31-2008, 01:58 PM
if anyone has used this box, can they give a short review of it i.e how are the speeds, service etc. certainly tempting for a poor chap like me :)

bikernin, its pointless, the memory on the machine wont let you do anything with it....you need atleast 1gb mem on a seedbox. I wish i had 2gb :lol:

monk3y
01-31-2008, 02:06 PM
thx fatcat and other replies, 256 is really poor as you've described it.
i think that 1gb is the minimum required for a decent seedbox after doing a little research, and ovh has some of that with a decent price :
http://www.ovh.co.uk/products/start100mpluslarge.xml
that question is if i can order myself a box if i doesn't live in the uk ?

jam0980tr
01-31-2008, 02:39 PM
1 thing i know of these people at OVH.co.uk if you use to much they cap you hahhahahha so don't use to much

bikernin
01-31-2008, 02:44 PM
hmm..i was planning to save up and buy it. but i guess the mem is too less. plus people are not even sure if they will allow torrent traffic. guess will have to wait for atleast a few months till i manage to save up

messi30
01-31-2008, 02:54 PM
Is the same, 19 Euros or £14.99

BlueLabel
01-31-2008, 03:30 PM
only for those countries
http://www.siz.co.il/up/j53qnzwkmytz.jpg

fstokebanget
01-31-2008, 03:30 PM
256mb RAM :( not good at all with that u can`t use as seedbox it should have more RAM if u ask me :)

no, it's enough if you use rtorrent ;)

BlueLabel
01-31-2008, 03:35 PM
no its not
you client have nothing do to with it
the thing is that with 256mb ram your writhing speed to disk is to slow
that way you get many times disk overload

Fullmetal
01-31-2008, 05:32 PM
Im in the market for a seed box and ordered this exact one but around 20 min later i got an email from the sales department asking me to send them photocopy's of my drivers licence and back card!!!

yeah right as if im giving that to them considering what im gonna use it for

KFlint
01-31-2008, 05:49 PM

bikernin, its pointless, the memory on the machine wont let you do anything with it....you need atleast 1gb mem on a seedbox. I wish i had 2gb :lol:

don't be so sure of it, i used kimsufi with linux fedora core 6 for 3 months and it worked like a charm

256 megs on this dedicated server is enough for seedbox, i'm not talking of a crappy 256 megs burstable like leeware on a VPS

i use to get 5 MB/s in upload steady, so you can get 5 Tera a month out of it without problem

only drawback, when you are an uploader, creating torrent takes all the ram so speed suffers when doing it, but it's only some minutes a day, who cares :)

fazzy07
01-31-2008, 05:57 PM
With linux it shouldn't be much problem having 256mb ram

Can someone confirm if this is only for UK ?

bikernin
01-31-2008, 06:01 PM
thanks Kflint, i guess this one is back on the table then. i need to confirm whether they ask for documents and if i can purchase one from india. dosent make sense if you can use a dedi box only if you are in certain countries. defeats the purpose of getting one to some extent

Fullmetal
01-31-2008, 06:55 PM
sorry it was layeredtech.com that asked for documents my bad :whistling

ovh just communicated a lot in French but if ya got babel fish your good :)

bikernin
01-31-2008, 10:18 PM
ok so 1 worry out of the way. just need to know if i can buy 1 from here

chicus
01-31-2008, 10:55 PM
I have the kimsufi using ubuntu desktop + wine + utorrent and it works realy good (max speed in up : 8~9 mo/s)

bikernin
02-01-2008, 05:07 AM
if you dont mind, how long have u used it and do they throttle BT traffic?

fstokebanget
02-01-2008, 02:55 PM
Some ppl says that anyone from any country could rent ovh servers, is it true ? Or, they only rent their server to those who speaks French?

shoot
02-01-2008, 03:11 PM
wow

Fibre
02-02-2008, 06:00 AM
The guy's who say 256MB is too little are obviously Windows users. Debian with rTorrent works perfectly on Kimsufi.

Go learn Linux ;)

fstokebanget
02-02-2008, 10:18 AM
The guy's who say 256MB is too little are obviously Windows users. Debian with rTorrent works perfectly on Kimsufi.

Go learn Linux ;)

:lol: yeah you're right :D

anyway I still want to know if I can order their server even if I'm not speaking French, my country is from southeast Asia

informix
02-04-2008, 02:39 AM
Wow! Can anyone give an idea of the ftp speeds?

mievmo
02-04-2008, 02:47 AM
Hmm

Never Pay for file sharing

fstokebanget
02-05-2008, 05:30 PM
friends, today I decided to give Kimsufi package from OVH a try, anyone could tell me how long does it take OVH to setup the new server ?

thanks a lot

chicus
02-05-2008, 05:32 PM
I got it in less than 1 hour ! They are amazing !

fstokebanget
02-05-2008, 05:45 PM
what ??? less than 1 hour ? great :D
do you still remember at what time did you order the server ? My time here is GMT+7, I ordered it at 12AM

chicus
02-05-2008, 05:52 PM
At 10 or 11 am ^^ But I live in france, so maybe it's different in UK. I took ubuntu desktop, maybe that with another OS it'll take more time.

klink05
02-05-2008, 06:03 PM
Hmm

Never Pay for file sharing

do you recieve free high speed bandwidth somehow? it costs money to move data, and if you can afford a high speed seed box that will benefit the download speed of all users, go for it it. it's not a matter of paying for file-sharing, it's using expendable income to heighten the transfer speeds, which makes your sites better. if you think that no one should have seedboxes, i'd like to see the threads you start complaining about the low speeds (not to mention paying for residential internet). just because you don't want to shell at a few bills doesn't mean you have to disuade others for helping out.

Rdysn5
02-26-2008, 06:11 PM
I signed up for ovh kimsufi 20 mins ago. Now they are asking me for my passport and proof of address. Did any of you guys get asked for this when you ordered off ovh?
I am reluctant to give it to them :unsure:

parky
02-26-2008, 06:17 PM
It may be to prove what country your from as they dont serve all countries

UsenetGuy
03-25-2008, 01:12 PM
Authentication problem: check your Nichandle and password

Got that when trying to sign up, tried IE and FireFox, dont work on either. I entered the correct details because it lets me login with those, I get to the bit where u tick the agree box and continue but it takes me back to that error message.. Any ideas? :)

Sanka113
03-25-2008, 01:43 PM
Unless you live in any of the countries in the link provided, you CANNOT order from them. Regardless of using a fake address. This is because they tie the information that you use to make an account to the billing information that the credit card is registered under. They do this to prevent credit card fraud.

If you don't live in a country OVH serves then you can ONLY pickup a box via reseller.

Now, if you have a friend that you trust that lives in say,canada, he can buy a visa giftcard from wal-mart, and send you the card's details. Then you go register the giftcard under the fake information that you used to sign up for your OVh manager's acount. Since the fake address and the gift card's address and name should be the same , you should be good to go.

Link to countries OVH serves: http://www.ovh.co.uk/items/cadre/disponibilite.xml

KiNdZiUs
03-25-2008, 02:34 PM
I have come to the conclusion that OVH is not acceptable to other countries than was mentioned in Sanka113 (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/members/sanka113-190047) post. :(

deKoy
03-25-2008, 02:52 PM
If anyone who isn't in the allowed countries wants one, PM me.

mr.Dman
03-25-2008, 06:08 PM
None none

colbert
03-25-2008, 06:33 PM
Unless you're really on a tight budget, pay a little more money for a good server with good specs.

SgtMajor
03-25-2008, 06:55 PM
Unless you're really on a tight budget, pay a little more money for a good server with good specs.

OVH are good servers with good specs, they do torrenting as well as, if not better actually, than LT, SL & LW and having had them all I can say that with conviction.

If you don't know what you are talking about, it's best not to talk at all.

saqib
03-25-2008, 08:01 PM
thanks for the heads up

UsenetGuy
03-25-2008, 09:02 PM
Am I the only one with the error message?? I put UK on the registration..

Sanka113
03-26-2008, 03:36 AM

OVH are good servers with good specs, they do torrenting as well as, if not better actually, than LT, SL & LW and having had them all I can say that with conviction.

If you don't know what you are talking about, it's best not to talk at all.
Exactly, my friends' kimsufi's are always among the top seeds in sct swarms. They hold their own with the more expensive server's rather easily. The one draw back to the kimsufi is that it doesn't have alot a memory. This can be resolved by picking a linux distribution. If you don't know linux check out Naq's guide in FST's guide section.

omgwtfbbq
03-26-2008, 04:09 AM
I can resell these and other OVH servers to anyone that can't order. I ask for less than anyone else... PM me if interested.

The kimsufi's are great and you can transfer so much each month but the lack of RAM is a real problem and it means you have to spend more time adding and removing torrents. Still, hard to complain when you get so much for your money. :)

SgtMajor
03-26-2008, 06:41 AM
I can resell these and other OVH servers to anyone that can't order. I ask for less than anyone else... PM me if interested.

The kimsufi's are great and you can transfer so much each month but the lack of RAM is a real problem and it means you have to spend more time adding and removing torrents. Still, hard to complain when you get so much for your money. :)

What does a Kimi go for by a reseller, by paypal $45?

Sanka113
03-26-2008, 07:12 AM
If someone resells a kimsufi for around $40 they'll end up about a 20% profit. So even if someone was reselling kimsufi's for $45 it would still end up pretty cheap considering how well it works. Now, if only there were some respected, trusted people that would be willing to sell kimsufis.

SgtMajor
03-26-2008, 07:16 AM
If someone resells a kimsufi for around $40 they'll end up about a 20% profit. So even if someone was reselling kimsufi's for $45 it would still end up pretty cheap considering how well it works. Now, if only there were some respected, trusted people that would be willing to sell kimsufis.

They will only make $3-$4 on $40, so not the 20% you quote.

Don't forget OVH charge 17.5% VAT on top of all shown server prices, then paypal charge 5% on any transaction.

Sanka113
03-26-2008, 07:56 AM
My bad, 20% profit is around $45. That includes vat and paypal charges. Unfortunately, the only reseller i've been able to find doesn't resell the kimsufi. He just deals with the more expensive 1 person server packages and shared packages. He probably, sees the profit he'd make off the kimsufi as chump change compared the other stuff he sells. Although cheap, as popular as the kimsufis have become he'd make more money if he started selling kimsufis exclusively.

adissan
03-26-2008, 09:06 AM
great info:) thanks a lot

omgwtfbbq
03-26-2008, 04:27 PM

$45 would leave $7.17 after VAT and PayPal fees. So no, more than that, but less than on other servers as the % would be too high otherwise.

SgtMajor
03-26-2008, 06:43 PM

$45 would leave $7.17 after VAT and PayPal fees. So no, more than that, but less than on other servers as the % would be too high otherwise.

Thanks, something I might consider doing for those here that can't get them, and it would be paypal ;)

fish-strike
03-26-2008, 07:38 PM
I just thought I'd let everyone know, the £14.99 Kimsufi box is now available from OVH.co.uk.

I know a lot of UK people have been waiting for this.

The specification is:

http://i28.tinypic.com/10eeblf.jpg

Windows XP 32bit for free :)

What a bargain :)

Lmao, why would you put windows on a dedicated server.. thats just stupid. :angry:

Tobiasz
03-26-2008, 08:34 PM
Im from Poland, can I buy Kimsufi in UK?

Sanka113
03-26-2008, 08:55 PM

I've tried to order these things a few times and $35 is how much kimsufi's cost a month WITH vat calculated according to the order slips sent to me. The vat charges have been calculated at around $5 papal is under a 1.50

Im from Poland, can I buy Kimsufi in UK?
We'll the server you get will be located in the UK or france, but you have to place your order through ovh.pl. Don't worry, the prices are more or less the same , give or take a few cents due to the current Euro and BP exchange rates.

chip19
03-26-2008, 10:44 PM
I signed up for ovh kimsufi 20 mins ago. Now they are asking me for my passport and proof of address. Did any of you guys get asked for this when you ordered off ovh?
I am reluctant to give it to them :unsure:

Can anyone confirm this? I don't live in any of the mentioned territories, so I was planning on doing the old Visa gift card trick with a Quebec address. I don't want to be asked for any of that info. Hell, even if I was from Quebec I wouldn't want to give them that info -- it's not like I'm downloading bunny rabbits on this thing.

I can say from experience with my current web host who required a driver's license for SSH access, I was able to negotiate with them. They let me do it just by providing the last 4 digits of credit card and my billing address... I guess it was more of a confirmation of my e-mail than anything.

Sanka113
03-27-2008, 01:38 AM
We'll the reason the request this information is because of credit card fraud and actually you CAN'T change the information thats on the credit card other than the name. It takes whatever address you used to sign up at OVH and associates that information automatically to your credit card. If the information between the card the account varies they have every right to double check who actually owns the card. I applaud anyone who helps keep my credit card safe.

nbo
03-27-2008, 01:47 AM
i didnt bother reading all the replies, but for whats its worth i have it and heres what i think.
basically when it comes to very cheap seedboxes you get what you pay for, 256mb ram is a true disaster...i have it with windows (don't get windows) and though i would like to use it for other stuff its just too slow for anything, i upload only through web ui.
as for speeds, the download is ok, upload is poor. sometimes i go a day at 30kps, sometimes i get 3mps, it depends on it's mood. though i must say that its doing a nice job with hdbits (free leech week), ive done over 500gb in 3 days and i usually maintain a 1-2mps speed, dont expect much more, ive seen it hit 8-9 but very rare, sometimes i get a stable 4-5 for a few hours, but on average id say the speed is 500-1.2mb.
so is it worth it? look its got a good hard disk, unlimited bandwith and its very cheap. so yeah, you can spend 100 dollars and leeware, enjoy 12mps upload speed and run out of bandwith after a week, so youve uploaded 700gb. or you can pay 35 dollars, upload a lot slower but get 4-5 tb a month easy.

Sanka113
03-27-2008, 02:03 AM
Maybe you should have read the replies, bud? If you read them, you'd see that the kimsufi's are great. They can hang in there against stuff twice as much as they are.

OlegL
08-22-2010, 09:00 PM
Well, now the cheapest kimsufi has 2 GBs of RAM.

ExtraDry
08-23-2010, 10:17 AM
256mb ram would take ages to make a torrent ouch