PDA

View Full Version : dvd-r iso image - dvd players struggle to read

djkemp1
01-31-2008, 10:08 PM
hi all,

hope someone can help.

with a dvd-r image that i have and i have tried it with a few not just one but they all seem to suffer from the same.

it burns fine to disk and runs fine from the dvd player in the pc e.g. all menus show working and film plays etc.

but when trying it in 3 separate dvd players all the dvd's i tried from an iso file seem to struggle to play and you hear the player spinning up and making noises, eventually it reads the disc.

what is the problem and how can i fix it??

thanks all

fisherman
01-31-2008, 10:40 PM
Sounds to me like it's bad media ur using.... Bad media will nearly always play in ur pc but not in players. I've seen this happen before with movies and Ps2 games alike.

You better off using Verbatim or Ritek (Traxdata).

What make of disc u using ?

djkemp1
01-31-2008, 11:02 PM
i have burned through convertx before and no playback problems i use a premium brand taiyo yuden ty-02.

it only seems to happen when trying to burn an iso image that contains a film etc, any ideas?

dedro
01-31-2008, 11:48 PM
You better off using Verbatim or Ritek (Traxdata).
you can also try sony they work on my player 100%

fisherman
01-31-2008, 11:54 PM
Well U can't go wrong with taiyo yuden thats for sure.

The best program for burning .iso movie files is still Dvd decrpyter even tho it was last updated 2 years or so ago.

Download dvd decrypter from some torrent site and burn at x4 speed.

Do this first, it's easy to burn .iso but if u need instructions just post.

If no joy there, U can try "Imageburn", thats like dvd decrypters successor, just google that as it's a free download.

To this day I still use dvd decrypter to burn my .iso's.. some times I use Nero but I prefer Decrypter.

Let us know how u get on....

panoli
02-01-2008, 01:34 AM
try writing da image thru poweriso r nero.

djkemp1
02-01-2008, 07:16 PM
i have been using imageburn and i still get these reading errors the only thing i can think is that the bob files, ifos aren't set up correctly and its causing the player to not be able to find the file.

any ideas on getting just the film vob no menus?

fisherman
02-01-2008, 07:36 PM
Did U try Dvd Decrypter yet? It's much better that Imageburn.

You'll get Dvd Decrypter anywhere..... Use isohunt to search for it and try it...

As always when using public trackers be sure to give it a good virus scan.

SCR
02-01-2008, 07:37 PM
I have an idea but u need more space then usually . Mount the .iso image whit DAEMON(just an example) then open the mounted DVD and just copy what u need from there .

fisherman
02-01-2008, 07:55 PM
I know taiyo yuden are supposedly the best.... but I'm still thinking this is a blank media issue.

I've seen this numerous times where the dvd will play in the pc but not in players and usually it's down to cheap media.

I know taiyo yuden are quite expensive but I'd go for Verbatims next time.

Try dvd decrypter mate.

djkemp1
02-01-2008, 10:55 PM
yeah i see what your saying fisherman but i have used this media when converting files via convertx to dvd and i get no problems at all, its just these iso images.

i would try dvd decrypter but i have vista, would it work on that?

i've heard of a programmed called ifoedit to try and reauthor dvd files but i have had no luck yet in actually doing it:-(

fisherman
02-01-2008, 11:46 PM
The great thing is as far as I know Decrypter will work on Vista.

Download it from here >> http://www.soft32.com/Download/Free/DVD_Decrypter/4-75586-1.html

So open up Decrypter, look at the top and you will see 5 options .... click on the "MODE" tab and go down to "ISO" and put a tick mark on WRITE W.

Now just click on the source browse folder and navigate to the .iso on ur hard drive, select it.... choose ur burn speed x4 :happy: And then just click the big button which is the write button and let it do it's thing and hopefully it will do the trick.

Good luck

djkemp1
02-02-2008, 02:05 PM
i did this but its the same programe as iso image just a bit older.

fisherman
02-02-2008, 02:59 PM
Yeah the guy that made decrypter makes imageburn.

I find decrypter better for burning movir .iso's.

So U tried decrypter and still the same ?

I'm outta idea's mate... As the last suggestion I'd say try different media.

Maybe some of the other guy's here might have some more suggestion's.

My first impression on this was the media u were using....

Good luck at gettin this sorted mate.

djkemp1
02-02-2008, 05:11 PM
the way round it i have found is to use ifoedit to grab just the main feature and re-create ifo's etc and all plays fine now, just don't have the menu's etc.

peat moss
02-02-2008, 05:30 PM
I'v been using UltraISO seems like a good program , no problems so far . I like Memorex disks all I will buy.

fisherman
02-02-2008, 08:29 PM
Hmm, that is a strange one alright.

At least u found a temp solution which is good :) until U find an answer or program that will work 100%.

Glad ur up and running anyway :happy:

djkemp1
02-02-2008, 10:38 PM
the only thing i can think is that the vob files and ifo files contained in the iso file are structured incorrectly, and thats why all the players i tried them on struggled to read, i watched one dvd player say it was reading title 5 then 2 then eventually it found title 1 (the feature that should have played)

thats the only thing i can think of and like i say by going in and re-creating the ifo, bups etc it clears the structure up so it can play.

what do you think?

fisherman
02-02-2008, 10:51 PM
Is this problem happening with many .iso's ? Or just this 1 ?

If it's just this 1, then it's very possible some sort of an error occured when building the .iso.

If u have another .iso, try burning that with decrypter.... if U don't have another 1, well your gonna have to download one to test out this situation.

If this is happening with numerous .iso's, well I have absolutely no idea's what more could be the problem as you've tried many burning programs and still the same.

Could U not get ur hands on even 1 DVD of a different brand, even a crappy brand just to rule out the possibility of bad media.

djkemp1
02-03-2008, 12:49 AM
yeah i will try with a different brand next time, it seems to only happen with the isos that i have that have menus still on the dvd etc, if i strip these and rebuild the ifo file it runs perfect

fisherman
02-03-2008, 02:18 PM
This shouldn't be happening though. You should be able to have ur full dvd with all the extra's.

Yep try a different brand or even borrow 1 dvd of a different brand from a mate if u can, just to try out cause this really shouldn't be happening on multiple .iso's.

ghost716
02-03-2008, 03:23 PM
make sure youre burning to the right region (r1- us, r2- uk, r3- asia, r4- ?, r5- russia) and make sure youre burning to the right format (ntsc or pal depending on your player/tv)

djkemp1
02-03-2008, 05:29 PM
well my player is multi region and can play NTSC or Pal so i don't know why all the players seem to struggle with it its a mystery:-(

ghost716
02-03-2008, 05:48 PM
are you sure youre using the right type of media

dvd+r/dvd-r ?

djkemp1
02-03-2008, 08:03 PM
i use dvd-r media which is compatible with the majority of dvd players, i tried another one just now with menu etc and it plays fine, but again there is that whirring sound briefly while its loading the root menu, should this happen with a backup dvd, doesn't do it from the original

fisherman
02-03-2008, 08:51 PM
Your right dvd-r are most compatible, but no it shouldn't be making any "whirling" noise. It should be the same as the original.

I reckon a different brand of disc in in order ?

djkemp1
02-04-2008, 10:49 AM
no luck there unfortunately tried dvd+ and dvd-r discs and both act exactly the same, i still think it must be something wrong with the navigation structure on the iso's?? i can't see it being anything else

fisherman
02-04-2008, 10:58 AM
With 1 .iso i'd say yes, but not with many imo.

I'm stumpted now for ideas....

Best thing to do is go here >> www.afterdawn.com

Sign up there and open a thread and I guarentee some of the guy's will get U sorted in no time at all.

A few of my buddies are on there and they specialize in this type of thing.

MODS if there is a prob with me posting the link, which I cannot see, then let me know and I'll remove it.

Let us know how U geton mate and this has my mind messed up too :blink:

djkemp1
02-05-2008, 12:35 PM
yeah im stumped too, it wouldn't be my burner though would it? i mean if it writes discs etc that play fine on the computer and also on dvd players as long as there is no menus etc.

lukee
02-09-2008, 06:53 PM
hmm. well, lets state the obvious here.is your dvd player old? are your DVD's dasmaged in any way? is the iso that you downloaded from the scene or was it uploaded by a random user?

VIZFX
02-09-2008, 10:13 PM
I've had a similar issue happen to me and it came down to a region issue no matter what brand of dvd I used. I tried changing the region with DVD Decryptor but it still would only play on my computer and not on my DVD player. I finally gave up and re-downloaded from a different site and it work. So if my case it was the DVDR download that didn't allow the region change. I don't know why.

fisherman
02-09-2008, 10:15 PM
Any update/luck on this OP ?

VIZFX
02-09-2008, 10:54 PM
I'm definitely interested in seeing what happens with dvd-r issue. Keep us updated.

djkemp1
02-10-2008, 08:56 AM
i did try another iso the other day and it worked fine no whirring or anything and it had menus and deleted scenes etc, but it seemed all the ifo's and vobs etc were much tidier the ones i seem to have problems with i think the structure is bad thats the only thing i can think of and both of my dvd players are new one just 1 week old.

djkemp1
02-25-2008, 12:04 AM
yep i was right i found a way to fix the problem.

i stumbled across a programme called dvdfab, and i used this as it had a function called pathfinder, and that runs it how a normal dvd player would run and fixes navigational errors etc.

and it seems to have done the job, dvds now play fine with out the whirring etc :-)